Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 - Mitchelstown to Fermoy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Great shots as usual Furet.

Is the NRA website giving unaccurate completion dates for these projects ?

NRA website says completion in Q1 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Great shots as usual Furet.

Is the NRA website giving unaccurate completion dates for these projects ?

NRA website says completion in Q1 2010.

Ah yes, but the actual builders are telling me spring '09 - practically a year ahead of schedule.

Either the builders are working too hard, or the NRA is deliberately overestimating completion dates so that they look great when the projects finish up much earlier than expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Probably a bit of both :D

They're flying along with this assuming it only really started in December 07.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Passed by it today. Very well advanced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I've driven by it a few times and it really is flying along, it definately will be done early next year, which fantastic as we'll have continuous Motorway/HQDC all the way up to Cashel and perhaps even Cullahill by that stage.

Which is brilliant as at one stage it was supposed to be the last bit of the Cork-Dublin motorway to be done, and then there would have been the good road the whole way except for one small 10 mile stretch of bad road.

OP, keep up the good work with all your pics;)!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

E92 wrote: »
    I've driven by it a few times and it really is flying along, it definately will be done early next year, which fantastic as we'll have continuous Motorway/HQDC all the way up to Cashel and perhaps even Cullahill by that stage.

Which is brilliant as at one stage it was supposed to be the last bit of the Cork-Dublin motorway to be done, and then there would have been the good road the whole way except for one small 10 mile stretch of bad road.

OP, keep up the good work with all your pics;)!

The Culahill to Cashel section should open up within 2 or 3 months. If this opens early next year, then it will only be Culahill to Portlaoise left.

I believe that last one may be finished late in 2009.

The Culahill to Cashel section should open up within 2 or 3 months. If this opens early next year, then it will only be Culahill to Portlaoise left.

I believe that last one may be finished late in 2009.

I thought it was Cahel-Mitchelstown that was opening that soon? Oh well if Cahel-Cullahill will be done too so soon then that really is fantastic progress.

I thought it was Cahel-Mitchelstown that was opening that soon? Oh well if Cahel-Cullahill will be done too so soon then that really is fantastic progress.

Cashel - Mitchelstown will open within the next 3 weeks; Cashel to Cullahill will open by the end of this year - and probably, as Augustus says, by September or October. So good news all round.

I'll take more photos next weekend of Cashel to Mitchelstown, to see if they're making progress with lining etc. I'll probably take more of Cashel to Cullahill in around a month's time.

Apologies for the poor quality of my Mitchelstown to Fermoy photos. The route is actually quite a bit off road for the most part, but once the flyovers are up and running, the pics will come!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Furet wrote: »
    Cashel - Mitchelstown will open within the next 3 weeks; Cashel to Cullahill will open by the end of this year - and probably, as Augustus says, by September or October. So good news all round.

I'll take more photos next weekend of Cashel to Mitchelstown, to see if they're making progress with lining etc. I'll probably take more of Cashel to Cullahill in around a month's time.

Apologies for the poor quality of my Mitchelstown to Fermoy photos. The route is actually quite a bit off road for the most part, but once the flyovers are up and running, the pics will come!
    Thanks for all the estimates there.

I think the only one that people are uncertain about is M7/M8 up at Portlaoise. Seemingly it's difficult to access the site to check it out. So maybe that will be the last section to finish in 2010.

Yeah its just cos its so far offline and there doesnt happen to be anyone from Boards living nearby whos willing to go cross country for pics ;)

• Advertisement

Two more piss poor photos lads. The overbridges still aren't ready to walk on yet.

Junction 13 has been laid out. There were major roadworks there for a while, but all is in place now. The climbing lanes on the old N8 just south of Mitchelstown have been reduced slighly in length, but they're still perfectly good.

For anyone seeking to place this scheme in the overall M8 layout, see this excellent wikipedia page, replete with photos and junction grid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N8_road_%28Ireland%29

Haven't been out that way recently, so please don't kill me if this is not true, but I heard that from Junction 13 to the start of the Fermoy bypass has been done and you can now travel on it.

Like I said, I don't know how true this is but somebody who lives near Mitchelstown told me this during the week.

I could see it opening well before next April(I wouldn't be surprised if it was by the end of the year tbh); they're really flying along the last time I was up that neck of the woods, which was around 6 weeks ago.

Haven't been out that way recently, so please don't kill me if this is not true, but I heard that from Junction 13 to the start of the Fermoy bypass has been done and you can now travel on it.

Like I said, I don't know how true this is but somebody who lives near Mitchelstown told me this during the week.

I could see it opening well before next April(I wouldn't be surprised if it was by the end of the year tbh); they're really flying along the last time I was up that neck of the woods, which was around 6 weeks ago.

No, I'm afraid that's completely untrue. They don't even have the overbridges built properly yet, there's no tar on any section, and the median isn't up on even the most advanced part. That said, they are progressing at an impressive rate. But there isn't a hope in hell that it'll be open any time before March '09.

When it opens, you'll hear about it. It'll be a media affair.

Thought as much tbh, but said I'd ask here just to be sure:o

Thought as much tbh, but said I'd ask here just to be sure:o

No problem. If anything happens, I'll post on it. Also, as soon as the overbridges are open I'll have much better photos and the posters who know about the tarring and surfacing phases of construction will be able to guess how long we'll have to wait for the opening.

The median foundation has been erected along most of the route now. It's clearly visible as you cross the new layout 2km south of Mitchelstown. Work along the scheme proceeds apace!

I hope to have photos towards the end of the week or over the weekend.

Folks I got some lovely shots today of the Mitchelstown to Fermoy scheme. The sun made the day perfect for a drive, so enjoy -- also, see the Cashel to Cullahill thread for some new photos of that (which include a few surprises, btw).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Folks I got some lovely shots today of the Mitchelstown to Fermoy scheme. The sun made the day perfect for a drive, so enjoy -- also, see the Cashel to Cullahill thread for some new photos of that (which include a few surprises, btw).
    Haven't drove past this in about 2 months, progress is really coming along.

I've noticed how the builders are really motoring into the stretch between Exit 13 (about 2km south of Mitchelstown) and the Fermoy Bypass startpoint (which is really the future Exit 14). I mean, this section is much more advanced than the bit between Kilbeheny (Exit 12) and Exit 13.

This leads me to suspect -- and it's only a hunch -- that they'll open this bit early. The area between Exits 13 and 14 (aka the Fermoy Bypass tie-in) is dangerous. True, there are overtaking lanes. But a) there's very little hard shoulder; b) the road is bendy (you really feel the squeeze when passing out a large artic, for example); c) there are lots of farmyards and private houses; and d) don't forget, two dangerous pubs with carparks there too.

If the stretch between Exits 13 and 14 opened early, then the remainder (between Exits 12 and Exit 13) would be sort of catered for temporarily by the Mitchelstown Relief Road until the northern end of the Mitchelstown Fermoy Scheme is ready.

The photos I uploaded yesterday speak volumes: many sections between Exits 13 and 14 will be ready for tarring in a few weeks. The more I think about it, the likelier it seems.

See attached:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i was interested to spot a lone 100k speed limit sign on the Mitch bypass.....all the others say 80k....bit of a blooper methinks...hard to see why its 80 k on there anyway.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I'm curious. How are they going to merge the fermoy bypass with the new mitchelstown road at Exit 14?

The Fermoy start point looks very complicated and all the signage would need to be changed.

I particuarly hate the signage there saying M8 (Toll). I've seen several road maps calling it that. I hope it's removed after this is finished.

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I'm curious. How are they going to merge the fermoy bypass with the new mitchelstown road at Exit 14?

The Fermoy start point looks very complicated and all the signage would need to be changed.

I particuarly hate the signage there saying M8 (Toll). I've seen several road maps calling it that. I hope it's removed after this is finished.

I'd imagine it'll be a protracted, messy affair, like the Cashel Bypass tie-in with the Cashel to Cullahill Scheme. It looks like they'll start it pretty soon.

I'd imagine it'll be a protracted, messy affair, like the Cashel Bypass tie-in with the Cashel to Cullahill Scheme. It looks like they'll start it pretty soon.

Yes, I'd say so too.

I remember the Cashel Bypass used to end and start at at-grade roundabouts - a totally ridiculous design decision, considering the work that had to be done to replace them.

AFAIK there are two roundabouts at the northern end of the Fermoy bypass and the bridge connecting them is already there. If thats the case, then the junction is already there and is more or less built, its just a matter of chucking the carriageway under the bridge.

AFAIK there are two roundabouts at the northern end of the Fermoy bypass and the bridge connecting them is already there. If thats the case, then the junction is already there and is more or less built, its just a matter of chucking the carriageway under the bridge.

True. There's a fair bit of re-levelling to do, however. The start (or is it the end?) of the Fermoy Bypass (just at J14) seems to be a good deal higher than it needs to be to merge with Mitchelstown Fermoy (which is quite low lying in comparison), so they'll have to take a chunk out of what was done in 2006 to blend it in smoothly I'd say, maybe 100m or so. I could be wrong though!

But it's not as well laid out as at Carrigane (Exit 12), for example. The way the carriageway splits and the concrete barriors on each slip road, plus the fact that they'll have a lot of earthworks to do to connect it to the fermoy-watergrasshill mainline make this one a bit of a mess.

It should've been done like at Carrigane, where the carriageway foundations have already been laid, and it's simply a matter of tarring them up.

Rapid progress continues to be made. Asphalt has been applied to some sections of the route now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

could new pics be posted so we can see the updates to the road?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Dkettle

Furet

I noticed at the weekend that the southern half of the road seems to be further along, with a good deal of asphalt down. Do you know whether there is a plan to open from Moorepark to the crossover with the existing N8 earlier than the northern half? The junction at Moorepark is being cleaned up, with the tie in work progressing without disruption to the existing alignment (where possible)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement