Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 - Mitchelstown to Fermoy

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

BluntGuy wrote: »
    A brief update in relation to the road:

All the signage at Junctions 13 and 14 has been corrected. "Motorway ahead" signs etc. are all in the correct positions so that's fine.

So will you be kind enough to give us a review of the new section now at last? ;)

And, as Furet already said, plenty of new poles up on the N8 Watergrasshill - Dunkettle. I was too lazy to get any pictures.

Also new poles up at the Limerick/Cork/Tipp borders for the "Welcome to County So-and-So" signs. A year too late mind you but sure how bad...
    Also, with regards to the Dublin-Cork bus, what route does it take now? I haven't used the bus service in quite a while. Does it use any stretches of the new motorway?

I've seen Aircoach and Bus Eireann coaches on all the new sections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Furet wrote: »
    So will you be kind enough to give us a review of the new section now at last? ;)

I will of course do so when I have the time to type one out. :)

In the meantime, you can enjoy this lacklustre M8-related tidbit. On my hunt for new poles (I'm boring... yes), I made one or two interesting finds (apart from the rather obvious ones near J12).

There are some new poles approaching the Jack Lynch Tunnel on the N25. Also, heading from the city towards the Dunkettle Roundabout, there are new poles installed there for a new large ADS. Dunno, if that's of any real interest to anyone, but at least the redesignation job looks set to be adequately thorough.

Good. All the major gantries on the south ring and N25 Cork-bound from Midleton, plus all signs at major junctions across the entire city will need to be patched too.

Good. All the major gantries on the south ring and N25 Cork-bound from Midleton, plus all signs at major junctions across the entire city will need to be patched too.

Now I worry about this.

Personally, I think, if we're gonna start re-signing things, rather than the inevitable, shabby patching job, we should just detrunk what's left of the N8 and re-sign everything. It's expensive, yes, and there are literally hundreds of signs, but they'll have to be changed anyway, and if we're gonna do it, we may as well do it right.

Unfortunately, I can't see them re-signing any of the inner city. However, maybe the gantries and ADS signs will get a patch or two. Certainly at least from the airport to Dunkettle, the "M8" should be patched correctly. It's only a matter of slapping an "(M8)" patch on in most cases. Large new signs wouldn't have to be fabricated. Would it be a stretch however to even imagine this will be done?

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Would it be a stretch however to even imagine this will be done?

Unfortunately I think we both know the answer to that question. Also, shocking lack of maintenance of the Watergrasshill and Glanmire Bypass median and edges this summer. Sightlines are being negatively affected southbound on the GB especially by the failure to strim the verges.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I think we both know the answer to that question. Also, shocking lack of maintenance of the Watergrasshill and Glanmire Bypass median and edges this summer. Sightlines are being negatively affected southbound on the GB especially by the failure to strim the verges.

Indeed. It's amazing what the economy can do - suddenly all these things that seem unimportant are neglected, but may actually have significant adverse safety impacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

The hedgerow maintainance is being discussed on another thread. This is a clear example of there are cutbacks so we'll show them and do nothing!!!! Probably linked to the pension levy

Public service at its worst! Someone should call Joe Duffy!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

NFD100 wrote: »
    The hedgerow maintainance is being discussed on another thread. This is a clear example of there are cutbacks so we'll show them and do nothing!!!! Probably linked to the pension levy

Public service at its worst! Someone should call Joe Duffy!

I've noticed that there C-C part of the motorway seems to be very neglected.

Could do with a bit of maintenence IMO.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved to Infrastructure.

Closed to preserve for posterity!

• Advertisement

Just found this publication about this scheme. See attachment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Posting before Furet realises he forgot to lock it again :D

for posterity! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement