Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2008 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Used to be long-sleeved tee-shirts, but not any more:(.

It's long-sleeved ones they give out to marathon finishers, but they're of the technical t-shirt variety. Bring back the cotton ones I say - a nice badge of honour to wear to the pub that evening! The technical material looks naff in the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Peckham wrote: »
    It's long-sleeved ones they give out to marathon finishers, but they're of the technical t-shirt variety. Bring back the cotton ones I say - a nice badge of honour to wear to the pub that evening! The technical material looks naff in the pub.

ah no I prefer the technical ones, much better for training in. I use the cotton ones for wearing to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

ah no I prefer the technical ones, much better for training in. I use the cotton ones for wearing to bed.

My issue with the technical ones last year is that they were long sleeved and black. I only wear long sleeved in winter when training and you can't be running on the roads in black in the winter. If this years are the technical ones again but a bright colour I'll be well happy.

I may be wrong but I thought the 5 miles tees last year were white technical ones. I know the marathon one was black.

I may be wrong but I thought the 5 miles tees last year were white technical ones. I know the marathon one was black.

Yes, the 5 mile one was white short-sleeved last year (I wore it on Saturday on my long run). The half maraton one was black short-sleeved, and the marathon one was black long-sleeved.

I'd also have concerns about giving out black t-shirts. Given that for many taking part in the race series it may be the only technical t-shirt they have so will wear it quite a bit, it's not exactly encouraging safe running during the dark months.

Don't think I've ever worn my 2007 marathon t-shirt, but wear my (cotton) 2006 one quite a lot when lounging around the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

just really what to vent. i was out doing my marathon training last night just finishing a six miler on the dundrum road, when a car group full of your teenagers pass me and one of them throws a half can of coke at me, luckily it hit me it the chest cause if it hit me in the face it would have hurt. i am furious about it!!!!....little ba*tards

yeah that is very annoying. Pity you didn't get their reg plate.

I was out running years ago. A pickup van passed me and the guy in the passenger seat punched me. I was livid so picked up a rock and threw it at them as they were stopped at lights ahead. The rear window was tiny but I somehow managed to hit and smash it. I got chased around Clondalkin for 20 minutes but it was worth it.

I should also point out that I am a complete wuss when it comes to throwing objects of any kind. I guess it was a one in a million throw. I'm still pleased about it today :)

I often get beeped by cars when I'm out running when I'm nowhere near them (i.e. they're not drawing my attention to their presence). Often wonder if it's a beep of encouragement, or they're taking the p!ss out of me.

Was out running with a group once, and the route took us through a not so desirable part of Dublin city centre. Metal bar came flying out of a flat and hit the guy in front of me on the back. Fortunately no damage done.

Think it's an occupational hazard for us runners...sad that it happens, but unavoidable.

when it happened i just saw red and i bulleted back up the road. I run without my spec's so i didnt see the car reg....but if i ever see a metallic orange clio, i am goin to chuck osmething at them.

In all my time of running this have never happened, in the past i've got lads shouting and blowing the car horn but i never take note, but this really got me mad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

I got chased around Clondalkin for 20 minutes but it was worth it.

Good tempo run?

• Advertisement

Good tempo run?

eh not really was a bit too fast 'n' furious to call a tempo run

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Yep, have to say I've noticed that while out running I'm liable to get cars or whatever honking (not sure if its out of encouragement or not) and people shouting out of car windows etc but it gets me so mad when people are nasty about it. I can put up with smart ar5ed comments etc but every now and then you get a nasty one.

I was out running one Saturday morning in January, I'd had an awful dose the week before so I was only getting back into it and was struggling. These guys slowed down and started shouting stuff like 'ah fat b1tch' etc.

I just don't understand the mentality of someone who would shout obscenities or whatever at people out running. I suppose it's a recreational hazard :o

I was out running one Saturday morning in January, I'd had an awful dose the week before so I was only getting back into it and was struggling. These guys slowed down and started shouting stuff like 'ah fat b1tch' etc.

The funny thing is you are probably far fitter and had a lower body fat content than the knobs in the car !

I always find that the guys who dish out the most slaggings are usually the ones who look like they spend half their life on the piss.

I always find that the guys who dish out the most slaggings are usually the ones who look like they spend half their life on the piss.
    Yes, I've noticed that too.

Just checking my Dublin marathon training diary for the last 2 weeks.

I'm definitely on schedule regards my training plan for Dublin. I have completed every session planned so far and did quite well in my weekly time trial over 8 miles last night so I'm very happy. I'm really looking forward to the 5 miler in the park now. Really going to go for it.

My weight is also slowly coming down which is good. I think i was a few pounds heavier than I should have been last year and think I suffered because of it.

How is everybody else getting on ? Anybody ahead or behind where they would like to be at this early stage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Was in Spain last week on holidays to just getting going again this week.
    Even a week with no runs is tough to come back from.

Just did a 6m-3m-6m-3m this week so far to prep myself for Sat week in the Pheonix Park.

Will prob go along the lines of the following from Monday:

Monday - 6m
    Tuesday - long run (starting at 10m)
    Wed - rest
    Thursday - 3m pace or 5m normal
    Fri - rest
    Sat - 6m or 3m pace
    Sun - 3m or 6m easy

hey,

I am in the middle of week 2 of my training all going well. have my long run on saturday its only 7 mile but looking forward to doing it. i am going to follow my training plan to the "T" this time around to hopefully avoid injury

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

My schedule starts from Monday but have been building up to 20 miles a week over past 8 weeks and have done 20+ for last 4 weeks, so think I am reasonable shape to start the schedule and stick to it. I'll be aiming for 3.30 which will be 1.15 better than my first effort but that day was a long story! Going from 1.38 in the half to 4.45 in full 4 weeks later was not part of the plan!

Haven't actually decided for sure what schedule to follow but starting out with the runnersworld one that downloads to garmin units and software.

copacetic wrote: »
    My schedule starts from Monday but have been building up to 20 miles a week over past 8 weeks and have done 20+ for last 4 weeks, so think I am reasonable shape to start the schedule and stick to it. I'll be aiming for 3.30 which will be 1.15 better than my first effort but that day was a long story! Going from 1.38 in the half to 4.45 in full 4 weeks later was not part of the plan!

Haven't actually decided for sure what schedule to follow but starting out with the runnersworld one that downloads to garmin units and software.

20+ for the last 4 weeks ! That's impressive. I'm building up to 20 slowly.

I feel great this week and was thinking of adding an extra 2 miles onto what I had planned to do. Having though about it though I don't think I will. Last year I peaked too soon and was on a downward slope when I toed the line in Dublin.

Just a word of caution, make sure you aren't burning yourself out too early in the Summer. its a long way (114 days and 23hrs according to marathon website) to the bank holiday Monday in October. Anyway I'm sure you know best.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Currently in week 2 of my training plan. Haven't been to the T so far but I deliberatley set it quite high knowing that work & family meant I would miss a few runs here and there. Did 12 yesterday though and hoping to get out for a proper long run this weekend, weather and life permitting!

• Advertisement

20+ for the last 4 weeks ! That's impressive. I'm building up to 20 slowly.

I feel great this week and was thinking of adding an extra 2 miles onto what I had planned to do. Having though about it though I don't think I will. Last year I peaked too soon and was on a downward slope when I toed the line in Dublin.

Just a word of caution, make sure you aren't burning yourself out too early in the Summer. its a long way (114 days and 23hrs according to marathon website) to the bank holiday Monday in October. Anyway I'm sure you know best.

Cheers

think you misread me roadrunner:o.

It's 20+ miles a week, over 4 runs!
    Still only at 8 for long run.

It's a lot for me though as have done very little in last 2 years.

Am also in week 2, and all going to plan so far (although this week got off to a shaky start). A 10 and a 5 miler so far this week. Will run 13 miles home from work this evening, and then 8 miles tomorrow morning with some strides...before heading away for the weekend. That willl make 38 miles this week, before heading over the 40 mile mark next week for the first time since last year's marathon (and stepping up the training load from 4 days to 5 days per week).

Considering giving the Adidas 5 mile a miss - don't feel my speed is up to much at the moment and would fear it would dishearten me, given that I did a good time there last year. Then again, maybe it would increase the motivation not to skip any speed sessions. Will see what the mood is like early next week.

I'm behind schedule due to a couple of weeks of illness so have only been doing two, maybe three runs a week so I'll have to work hard to make that up over the next few weeks.

think you misread me roadrunner:o.

It's 20+ miles a week, over 4 runs!
    Still only at 8 for long run.

It's a lot for me though as have done very little in last 2 years.

I'm actually glad I misread that, phew you had me worried. At that rate you would have been turning up with a walking stick

Good stuff hope the training keeps going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

Start training next week myself, following the "Runners World" down loaded to my Garmin. Out currently 3 times a week just to keep me ticking over, hard part for myself was starting back after a long lay off, so this time just thought I would keep on putting in a couple of runs a week.
    Looking forward to the discipline that is involved with adhering to a training schedule.
    Best of luck to all with their training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

am on week 2,weather horrendous in munster over weekend,hope it clears for the 5mile on sat next,
    Mon--10m
    Tue--rest
    Wed--5m
    Thurs--2m
    Fri--Skipping
    Sat--2m
    Sun--cycling

schedule starts for me tomorrow, am still undecided on exactly what one to follow but will start off easy and build up. did 20 this week, gave myself 4 days off, did 2 shorter runs and 8.5miles at easy pace. Thats 4 weeks in a row with 20 miles a week so hopefully in decent shape to start training properly.

An issue I had a lot of trouble with last time was recovery from long runs, I invaribly felt terribly afterward, ate/drank as much as I could stomach but always ended up getting headaches and gradually feeling worse as day went on.

I know it is from low blood sugar/dehydration but how do you get enough into yourself to prevent it? What are peoples routines after long runs?

Anyone tried McMillans slimfast plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

What's your routine before and after the LSRs?

If you suffer badly then it's probably not a bad idea to carb load the night before and drink a sports drink before setting off as well as on the run itself. Afterwards it's a case of getting the carbs into you as quickly as possible, so again a drink or banana as soon as you're back would be useful.

What sort of pace do you run them at? Maybe you'repushing a bit too hard as wel if they take that much out of you?

I know it is from low blood sugar/dehydration but how do you get enough into yourself to prevent it? What are peoples routines after long runs?

I have something to eat and head back to bed for an hour if possible.

I find my body temperature drops a couple of degrees after a long run (at least it feels like that). It's amazing the benefits you feel from an hours rest. I find my legs recover a lot quicker and any sickly feeling usually disappears also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Last wk was week2 of DM training. I only managed 1km swim, 560m aquajog, 2 x 70min gym sessions. I had hoped for 2 runs at the weekend but due to other committments, a whole lotta stress and exhaustion that didnt happen. The guilt tho of a week without running!!!! Hate it! Gonna aim to get my runs in earlier in the week now so if anything gets cut its gym. Also gonna try for my runs in the morning, no tiredness excuses in the evenings that way!

As for stomach issues with running - I suffer alot from that after long runs. Theres a herbal tea that you can get called Holy Basil with ginger if I remember correctly. Its an organic indian tea and really good for settling your stomach. may help with everything else that was suggested, have it before or after your run, may help and definitely cant do any harm.

Advertisement