Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2008 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ciaran15

Thanks for the response. I agree it's a lot and want to cut it down. It's a mixture of what I found on net and my own build.
    1) I'd like to include recovery runs with at least one "long" run a week. This is my problem I don't know how many/far long runs should be included (does this make sense :))
    2) Up until about three weeks ago I was doing about 40-48 miles a week.

I'm happy to cut any junk miles out but not sure which ones are surplus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

As Amadeus says, one of the Pfitzinger plans would suit you well. There are a few of them on the internet here - based on your base mileage you could probably handle the "Up to 70 mile" plan - as you'll see, that plan only has 5 runs of 20 miles+, compared to 11 in your plan. However I would recommend buying his book as it will give you an understanding of why exactly you are doing each run, and its purpose towards the overall objective. IMO, the best marathon training book out there, and should be crucial reading for anyone taking this journey!
    Ciaran15 wrote: »
    1) I'd like to include recovery runs with at least one "long" run a week. This is my problem I don't know how many/far long runs should be included (does this make sense :))

A long run is typically considered anything of 15-17 miles or longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ciaran15

Excellent!!! These look great...also ordered the book on Amazon...thanks for the tips! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

With all those long runs and quite a few 10-12milers aswell, I think you would be quite tired so would probably end up doing all runs at much the same pace. You might be better off sacrificing a few of the longer runs so that on some weeks you'll have really good lactate threshold sessions.

With your plan, if you can do it, which you might, but you could get seriously bored, you'll be very stroing in terms of endurance, but one of the key indicators of good performance for marathon is lactate threshold pace. So training to improve LT would definitely help. Pfitzinger explains it all - good choice.

May also benefit from dropping the odd 20miler in favour of 10-15 miles at marathon pace.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Decent first official week of training for me, 4 shorter runs including the 5 mile race in the park on Sat and 10 miles yesterday. 31 miles for the week and feel good. In that zone were I would love to be out every day but have scheduled 2 days off a week for first 8 weeks so am determined to stick to it.

Race on sat was enjoyable and rain helped me decide that the shoes and t shirt I planned to wear for marathon aren't suitable. Shirt got too heavy in the rain and shoes let all the rain in straight away and were slippy on the wet ground. New comnbined lycra/baggy shorts worked out well for race and long run though so they look like the ones for the marathon.

Also helped me decide to wear garmin for races in future. chaos in first mile and funny placement of first marker meant that first time check was 2 miles in which wasn't ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Hi all,

I've been running for a couple of years now and am seriously considering doing the Dublin Marathon in October.

I am 27 and have a decent level of fitness although I reckon I could do with loosing between 1/2 and 1 stone if I wanted to do the marathon.

Recent race times were as follows:

Connemarra Half - 1hr 49 Barrettstown 10K - 43.30 Adidas 5 mile - 36.00

At the moment I do c.15-20 miles per week so marathon training would be a big step up for me altough I know if I decide to do it I'll stick to my training plan. I have been looking at some training schedules and like the look of this one:

http://www.runnersworld.ltd.uk/4hr.htm

I would be aiming for a time under four hours.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

R :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

You're in a different league to me. I'm doing about 30 miles a week at the moment on the Hal Higdeon Intermediate schedule so all I can say is good luck!

How Strange: Can I ask what your target time is?

I'm not running the Marathon myself (just the half in Sept.), but have done it once before and plan to do it next year, I think I would be around your level with some focussed training.

Thanks

rigal wrote: »

At the moment I do c.15-20 miles per week so marathon training would be a big step up for me altough I know if I decide to do it I'll stick to my training plan. I have been looking at some training schedules and like the look of this one:

http://www.runnersworld.ltd.uk/4hr.htm

I would be aiming for a time under four hours.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

The main difficulty with the plan you have posted is how it compares to your current mileage. You say you're doing c.15-20 miles per week, but that plan calls for in excess of 20 miles in its first week, which is a bit of a step up from your current mileage. Also, how long are your long runs currently - would you feel comfortable doing 9 miles now?

Hal Higdon does some great novice plans. Two of which are here and are worth considering.

Based on the times you've posted, a 4 hour marathon would certainly be achieveable with the right training. McMillan provides a good tool for calculating times here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

christeb wrote: »
    How Strange: Can I ask what your target time is?

I'm not running the Marathon myself (just the half in Sept.), but have done it once before and plan to do it next year, I think I would be around your level with some focussed training.

Thanks
    I'm saying 4hrs 30 at the moment and I'll have a better idea when I do the half marathon in September. I'm a complete novice, this is my first marathon. I did my 14 miles on Saturday and while I was exhausted at the end I recovered quite quickly and went for a very slow 30 min jog yesterday to shake out my legs.

I'm really enjoying it at the moment and stuck to my schedule last week and don't feel tired at all.

I did my 14 miles on Saturday and while I was exhausted at the end I recovered quite quickly and went for a very slow 30 min jog yesterday to shake out my legs.

I'm really enjoying it at the moment and stuck to my schedule last week and don't feel tired at all.

That all sounds very positive - good to hear training is going well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Peckham wrote: »
    The main difficulty with the plan you have posted is how it compares to your current mileage. You say you're doing c.15-20 miles per week, but that plan calls for in excess of 20 miles in its first week, which is a bit of a step up from your current mileage. Also, how long are your long runs currently - would you feel comfortable doing 9 miles now?

Hal Higdon does some great novice plans. Two of which are here and are worth considering.

Based on the times you've posted, a 4 hour marathon would certainly be achieveable with the right training. McMillan provides a good tool for calculating times here.

Thanks Peckham, I had a look at those plans and both look quite good.

The longest run I do currently is 8 miles which I can do ok but I think doing a 12 miler in week two of the Runners world plan might be a bit beyond me at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Nice to have someone in the 4-5hr category with me! i've only done one previous marathon and that was 5hrs 4 min so Im hoping for 4hr59m59s!

Finding gym sessions and aqaujogging a massive help on rest days for completely getting rid of any leg aches.

Question - are MP3 players allowed for Dublin Marathon? Please say yes....:eek:

MarieC wrote: »

They're not against the rules per se, but they are against the spirit of the event. Safety concerns aside, using a MP3 player in a marathon means you're blocking out all the shouts of encouragement from the side of the road, and the camaraderie with fellow runners.

I use my MP3 player a lot when training, but would never use it in a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

With Peckham on this one. The encouragment you get will be sweet music especially when the going gets tough. While I wouldn't ban them in races I would discourage them.

I'm also aiming for 4:30 this year. Best so far was 4:36 last year. I find that the key is to concentrate on the long runs and allow decent recovery afterwards. The hard work is done beforehand and the day of the race is to be enjoyed. Keep up the good work. It is something special to be able to say that you have completed a marathon.

'

I dont know why I asked really beacause I didnt wear one the last time I did a marathon and it was no big deal. also, have forgotten to bring my mp3 player on one or two runs and didnt even notice!

5m run this morning - love it!! :)

Does anyone know where I can buy a vaseline type creme for friction burns?

I've started to get burns in a few places since I started doing longer runs. I know vaseline isn't the best thing to use and I read somewhere that there's a better product.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Lila

Bodyglide is good. It comes in a stick form like those dry deodorants. Costs about €12 but lasts ages. It's a prevention method as opposed to a treatment so apply before all your long runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Lila wrote: »
    Bodyglide is good. It comes in a stick form like those dry deodorants. Costs about €12 but lasts ages. It's a prevention method as opposed to a treatment so apply before all your long runs.

I have been recommended this stuff myself. Haven't tried it but am going to get some soon. It is sold in runways on Parnell street apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

A lot of coverage worldwide this year regarding use of mp3 players and mobile phones during races.
    Looks like the majority of runners are in favour of a ban.... (that includes me.)

Because of run (or "do" to please tunney) marathons in the 4h20s, i have a chance to chat a bit along the way (except during the last 6-8 miles) with some others runners if they do not wear headphones.

Some pros and cons here

I know that they will be banned from the Connemarathon 2009..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I'm saying 4hrs 30 at the moment and I'll have a better idea when I do the half marathon in September. I'm a complete novice, this is my first marathon. I did my 14 miles on Saturday and while I was exhausted at the end I recovered quite quickly and went for a very slow 30 min jog yesterday to shake out my legs.

Sounds good - well done- I would be surprised if you don't do it in considerably less than that judging from your training. Of course the half will be a great indicator - I'm hoping (very optimistically) to do it in less than 100 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

hey,

i am wondering is walking good enough to do on the days you are to cross training or would a light run be more useful. This week my marathon plan was to cross train for an hour so i walked for an hour is this good enough?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

cross training shouldn't be walking or running, it should be cycling, swimming, rowing etc. something that isn't weight bearing..

I did a 5 miler at a regular pace this morning. was just after crossing the road and felt like I had a stitch in my back!It was about half way up. did some deep breathing and kept going. however, its been kind of at me since. im having a day where im at my desk all day but its quite stick, and if I roll my head downwards i can feel a bit of a pain on my spine.

1 - What is this???

2 - What caused it??

3 - What do I do to get rid of it?

Aquajogging this evening so hopefully that will help some bit........

I did a 5 miler at a regular pace this morning. was just after crossing the road and felt like I had a stitch in my back!It was about half way up. did some deep breathing and kept going. however, its been kind of at me since. im having a day where im at my desk all day but its quite stick, and if I roll my head downwards i can feel a bit of a pain on my spine.

1 - What is this???

2 - What caused it??

3 - What do I do to get rid of it?

Aquajogging this evening so hopefully that will help some bit........
    alternate between a hot water bottle and an ice pack and see if that helps.
    Swimming will be good for it. If it persists see a physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Did 12.5m for the first time since last years half this evening in 1h46mins, can feel the onset of cramp now despite lots of water all evening.Keeping up with the long runs on the schedule and just about with the weekly mileage as i have tampered with it to fit in some races. 26 miles must be so much fun :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

hawkwing wrote: »
    Did 12.5m for the first time since last years half this evening in 1h46mins, can feel the onset of cramp now despite lots of water all evening.Keeping up with the long runs on the schedule and just about with the weekly mileage as i have tampered with it to fit in some races. 26 miles must be so much fun :eek:

if you are cramping you probably need to get some electrolytes into your body. I find a sports drink and a banana help me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

if you are cramping you probably need to get some electrolytes into your body. I find a sports drink and a banana help me.
    Cheers for that,all advice very welcome,cramp not as bad as feared in the end last night maybe cos i had lots of new season potatoes after the run and about 1.5l of water in 3 hrs. I live on bananas almost but always have them before running, i might try some after long runs from now on too.

I went out for a run last night and I found a new pace :D

It was the weirdest feeling; I was kind of tired with a couple of miles to go and it was like I went into fifth gear and my legs just started going faster and faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 swanky

Most of you lads are putting me to shame on this thread! Jezz, I better get out there training. I'm running based on K's rather than miles, but I'm doing 10k's 3 evenings a week and 20+ k's on the weekend. I'm striving for a 3:30 finish in the marathon if not less, but sure well see what happens on the day. Best of luck to all on the day and keep strong during the training.

Cheers!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

I am doing the Longford Half marathon, and have started to build up distances now, last Saturday I ran 10 miles.
    However I find when running, I desperatly need to go to the toilet while running, when I stop - have no need! It is both annoying and means I don't enjoy my runs as I keep worring.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for what or what not to eat either the night before or morning of a long.

Advertisement