Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2008 Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Hiya - I've signed up for this as well. Ran it in 2005 (my first) and again in 2006 so looking forward to it. I have to admit that the only hill I really remember hating is the UCD flyover but there are a few further back that are short but fairly sharp, IIRC.

I started a butchered P&D schedule last week and covered a fairly gentle 31 miles over he course of it and am hoping to hit around 50 this week and keep it up at that level and beyond until the day but I have a 2 week holiday in the middle of it, which might knacker things a bit.

And isn't it traditional in these sorts of threads to have a list of people running and target times? I haven't really set a target properly yet but I'm thinking 3:10, what about the rest of you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Looks like I'll be doing this one and all. A bit of procrastinating about Berlin meant that that sold out leaving me short of choices for the autumn. I don't like to commit to a marathon until 12 weeks before when my training for it starts. I train year round for shorter races so the marathon focus only begins with that kind of time left. I find it hard to focus on something for longer than that - it worked well last year so hopefully it'll be the same if I do Dublin again this year.
    And isn't it traditional in these sorts of threads to have a list of people running and target times? I haven't really set a target properly yet but I'm thinking 3:10, what about the rest of you?

I'll definately curse it if I do that. I'm going to at least wait until I get one half marathon out of the way this year before starting predictions.

Looks like I'll be doing this one and all. A bit of procrastinating about Berlin meant that that sold out leaving me short of choices for the autumn. I don't like to commit to a marathon until 12 weeks before when my training for it starts. I train year round for shorter races so the marathon focus only begins with that kind of time left. I find it hard to focus on something for longer than that - it worked well last year so hopefully it'll be the same if I do Dublin again this year.

I'll definately curse it if I do that. I'm going to at least wait until I get one half marathon out of the way this year before starting predictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

copacetic wrote: »
    +1 on this, anyone who hasn't run dublin before would be well advised to do a couple of laps from Ashtons in clonskeagh up around ucd down fosters ave and then back to where you started from. This includes the hardest section of the whole marathon imo. The long drag up from the dodder past ucd comes at the worst time it could. Even the short slope up the overpass outside ucd on the N11 is tough after the previous 2 miles. I stopped to stretch my quad there and got a cramp in my hamstring from doing it, if I hadn't been so sore I'd have laughed!

Totally agree. I also stopped to stretch around here and also got cramps in my hamstring. which I have to say is one of the most painful things I've ever experienced !

+1 on this, anyone who hasn't run dublin before would be well advised to do a couple of laps from Ashtons in clonskeagh up around ucd down fosters ave and then back to where you started from. This includes the hardest section of the whole marathon imo. The long drag up from the dodder past ucd comes at the worst time it could. Even the short slope up the overpass outside ucd on the N11 is tough after the previous 2 miles. I stopped to stretch my quad there and got a cramp in my hamstring from doing it, if I hadn't been so sore I'd have laughed!

Totally agree. I also stopped to stretch around here and also got cramps in my hamstring. which I have to say is one of the most painful things I've ever experienced !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

The long drag up from the dodder past ucd comes at the worst time it could. Even the short slope up the overpass outside ucd on the N11 is tough after the previous 2 miles.

There's a stretch around mile 12/13 around Crumlin which always seems to be into a strong wind. It's usually where I don;t hit my target mile times first and the the worry sets in...The rise up to Fosters Avenue looks the most daunting and because this is the big hill that everyone is talking about, because you are anticipating/fearing it, I think it's never as bad as you expect. I found the worst part of the course was after coming down the UCD flyover, that stretch from there to the top of Nutley avenue. It's a long stretch, after you've done the hilly bit and you still have about 4 miles to go. Whereas buythe time you get to the bridge at Grand Canal Street you know you're home. Once I hit 23miles I'm glad that I could crawl/roll from there if the worst came to the worst. But 4 or 5 miles out is still a bit dodgy, have a problem there and you may have to drop out...

The long drag up from the dodder past ucd comes at the worst time it could. Even the short slope up the overpass outside ucd on the N11 is tough after the previous 2 miles.

There's a stretch around mile 12/13 around Crumlin which always seems to be into a strong wind. It's usually where I don;t hit my target mile times first and the the worry sets in...The rise up to Fosters Avenue looks the most daunting and because this is the big hill that everyone is talking about, because you are anticipating/fearing it, I think it's never as bad as you expect. I found the worst part of the course was after coming down the UCD flyover, that stretch from there to the top of Nutley avenue. It's a long stretch, after you've done the hilly bit and you still have about 4 miles to go. Whereas buythe time you get to the bridge at Grand Canal Street you know you're home. Once I hit 23miles I'm glad that I could crawl/roll from there if the worst came to the worst. But 4 or 5 miles out is still a bit dodgy, have a problem there and you may have to drop out...

Never, ever stop! We often talk about this on long runs. what would it take for you to stop during a marathon? Certainly not a No. 1, not sure about a No. 2, never had to make the decision (thankfully). Sorry if that thoughts a bit off putting this early! I remember once, there was 3 of us training together and 1 fellow saying he was going to stay ahead of us from the start, because he didn't want to have to stop and get the abulance etc. if one of us collapsed:(! On training runs when I stop, the legs always feel strange when starting off again - I become aware of stiffnes I had not been aware of before. So the plan is not to stop. Ever.

Never, ever stop! We often talk about this on long runs. what would it take for you to stop during a marathon? Certainly not a No. 1, not sure about a No. 2, never had to make the decision (thankfully). Sorry if that thoughts a bit off putting this early! I remember once, there was 3 of us training together and 1 fellow saying he was going to stay ahead of us from the start, because he didn't want to have to stop and get the abulance etc. if one of us collapsed:(! On training runs when I stop, the legs always feel strange when starting off again - I become aware of stiffnes I had not been aware of before. So the plan is not to stop. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

I intend to do the DM again and beat last years time of 3:14 even though it is just 4 weeks after Berlin.
    It will be interesting to see how the body deals with a second punishment in that time space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

I intend to do the DM again and beat last years time of 3:14 even though it is just 4 weeks after Berlin.
    It will be interesting to see how the body deals with a second punishment in that time space.

Nice, this is turning into a thread giving people the fear before the race. That area at Crumlin with the wind was awful in 2006, I thought it was going to be as bad last year but didn't really notice it... probably as I tucked in behind people as I was aware of it from the year before.

The hill at Fosters ave isn't that bad, it's only because it appears after 20 miles that it seems bad. What is it an elevation of about 25-30 metres or so? If you're coming close to the wall then it's going to be a right pain but if you're running well you won't notice it. I went by two people last year on it and it gives you some kick for the next few miles when you know you're still running strong after the last real climb has been taken care of.

Nice, this is turning into a thread giving people the fear before the race. That area at Crumlin with the wind was awful in 2006, I thought it was going to be as bad last year but didn't really notice it... probably as I tucked in behind people as I was aware of it from the year before.

The hill at Fosters ave isn't that bad, it's only because it appears after 20 miles that it seems bad. What is it an elevation of about 25-30 metres or so? If you're coming close to the wall then it's going to be a right pain but if you're running well you won't notice it. I went by two people last year on it and it gives you some kick for the next few miles when you know you're still running strong after the last real climb has been taken care of.

Come to think of it I have never completed a marathon without stopping. You are right it is hard to get going again but when your calf is in cramp etc you sometimes have no choice.

I have also stopped for a pee on a number of occasions. I timed it and it added 30 seconds to my time but overall I reckon it saved me time and eased a lot of discomfort.

Come to think of it I have never completed a marathon without stopping. You are right it is hard to get going again but when your calf is in cramp etc you sometimes have no choice.

I have also stopped for a pee on a number of occasions. I timed it and it added 30 seconds to my time but overall I reckon it saved me time and eased a lot of discomfort.

Nice, this is turning into a thread giving people the fear before the race

Ok maybe we are going a bit over the top but it is helpful for people to know the tricky sections at this early stage so they can tailor their training.

That drag from Crumlin is tough all right. Thankfully once you turn at the Walkinstown roundabout there a couple of nice miles though.

Nice, this is turning into a thread giving people the fear before the race

Ok maybe we are going a bit over the top but it is helpful for people to know the tricky sections at this early stage so they can tailor their training.

That drag from Crumlin is tough all right. Thankfully once you turn at the Walkinstown roundabout there a couple of nice miles though.

Abhainn wrote: »

Personally, this wouldn't be my cup of tea. Know a few people who've doubled up like this with Chicago/Dublin/New York and they've always gone a fair bit slower on the second one. If you are doing it just to get another marathon under the belt, fine, just take it easy. If you are doing it for times, I'd just pick one.

Abhainn wrote: »

Personally, this wouldn't be my cup of tea. Know a few people who've doubled up like this with Chicago/Dublin/New York and they've always gone a fair bit slower on the second one. If you are doing it just to get another marathon under the belt, fine, just take it easy. If you are doing it for times, I'd just pick one.

Nice, this is turning into a thread giving people the fear before the race.

This fear is simewhat justified - it's a tough enough auld task, not to be taken too lightly. Do the training and you'll be alright. I think it's this fear that makes it so good afterwards.

• Advertisement

With my first marathon, I really wanted to run the whole way, so I would know I 'ran' a marathon. On training runs I usually stop a few times for drinks/toilet breaks so wanted to run the whole way in the race. But if you have to stop, you have to stop. Not necessary to stop for a pee though. Wear dark shorts and you'll get away with going on the run. Time it around water stations (if possible) so you can throw water over your head/shorts so it looks like water/sweat rather than the other if you're worried about this. No harm to practice this in a training run:eek:. I've never had to actually go during a marathon. Probably about getting the drinking right and also having an empty bottle on the start line, so you can go at the very last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

This will be my first hopefully if all goes well, using the hal higdon :Marathon Training Schedule Novice 2 and hoping for 03:59:59. Did first 10mile since last year's half marathon in 83mins yesterday so i might get there,it felt like an endurance test cos 80% of my runs are under 5 miles.have changed the program a lot but keeping the long runs as that seems the most important, not doing much at the weekends though and will use Monday as the long run day,i think after that if i can roughly do the same amount of miles as the schedule i'll be ok and will vary things around tiredness etc.i have fitted in the adidas series into it but think to be honest that somthing like an 8mile,half and 16 mile would be of more use as a training series even though i enjoyed them last year. anyone agree (5 mile not much benefit)?

With my first marathon, I really wanted to run the whole way, so I would know I 'ran' a marathon. On training runs I usually stop a few times for drinks/toilet breaks so wanted to run the whole way in the race. But if you have to stop, you have to stop. Not necessary to stop for a pee though. Wear dark shorts and you'll get away with going on the run. Time it around water stations (if possible) so you can throw water over your head/shorts so it looks like water/sweat rather than the other if you're worried about this. No harm to practice this in a training run:eek:. I've never had to actually go during a marathon. Probably about getting the drinking right and also having an empty bottle on the start line, so you can go at the very last minute.

I have tried to pee while running and my sphincter muscle just won't oblige.

Last year at the start of the Dublin marathon a guy I was standing beside was have a pee into a bottle. A minute before the start he threw it to the side. He didn't put enough power into it though and clocked some poor guy in the head (thankfully the lid was tightened).

Woah.... I don't know if I'd be able to actually piss on myself! Not something I plan on practicing either. If you can get a last minute piss before you start you should be able to go the whole way without needing to go. I haven't had to go yet in a race and I'm hoping it stays that way.

hawkwing wrote: »
    .i have fitted in the adidas series into it but think to be honest that somthing like an 8mile,half and 16 mile would be of more use as a training series even though i enjoyed them last year. anyone agree (5 mile not much benefit)?

I know what you're saying but the 5mile is a great introduction to racing and eases your way into the 10mile. It's quite a natural progression. The timing of it too works well. I don't think you'll find a better build up series for any marathon anywhere. Particularly as the series in the Park where the courses are fairly tough due to the hills. To do more than a half would be too tough for a lot of people. You couls always add on a few more miles yourslef at the end of the race - there's always a few people do that after these races.

BTW if you are doing 83 for 10miles in training and it's not too much bother to you, you should have no problem with a target of 3.59 once you get the long runs done.

I have tried to pee while running and my sphincter muscle just won't oblige.

Only done it once in training. Not easy. Was trying for a while and nothing, then all of a sudden after I stopped trying it came flooding, out of my control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

I know what you're saying but the 5mile is a great introduction to racing and eases your way into the 10mile. It's quite a natural progression. The timing of it too works well. I don't think you'll find a better build up series for any marathon anywhere. Particularly as the series in the Park where the courses are fairly tough due to the hills. To do more than a half would be too tough for a lot of people. You couls always add on a few more miles yourslef at the end of the race - there's always a few people do that after these races.

BTW if you are doing 83 for 10miles in training and it's not too much bother to you, you should have no problem with a target of 3.59 once you get the long runs done.

Thanks for the encouragement, felt ok after it and during even though it was windy but had a horrendous night of cramp in bed despite drinking about 2 litres of water after--maybe i need more salt? The 5 is a great start for someone completely new i think but it might be a bit of a jump from 5-10-half-full in 3 months.. but i'm not knocking it as it's very enjoyable and the t-shirts are good. ps. i think the half will do me grand on the day and am not yet one of the lads that you see going off for more punishment afterwards, feet up and a couple of bottles will be on my mind crossing the finishing line i'd say!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

I did my first (and only so far) marathon in Dublin in 06. Used the adidas series for training and it was very good. Also worked in to it the Cork to Cobh 15miler which definitely was worthwhile as it was out on the roads and had one or two ugly hills thrown in for good measure. Fabulous atmosphere down there also so its worth bearing in mind if you're not Dublin based and looking for an organised run prior to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

MarieC wrote: »
    I did my first (and only so far) marathon in Dublin in 06. Used the adidas series for training and it was very good. Also worked in to it the Cork to Cobh 15miler which definitely was worthwhile as it was out on the roads and had one or two ugly hills thrown in for good measure. Fabulous atmosphere down there also so its worth bearing in mind if you're not Dublin based and looking for an organised run prior to Dublin.

I really like the Cork BHAA races. They always remind me of going to the "sports" when we were kids, everyone stays and has a cup of tea afterwards. Some races give a goodie bag with crisps and minerals in them, some have raffles.

I live near the end of the Cork to Cobh and I use the route for most of my long training runs. It's ideal as the road markisn stay on the ground from year to year.

• Advertisement

hawkwing wrote: »
    the t-shirts are good.

Used to be long-sleeved tee-shirts, but not any more:(.

Advertisement