Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2008 Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

hawkwing wrote: »
    "In my opinion a better hill to do would be the Khyber pass, just beside the magazine hill. Its 800 metres long bollard to bollard."

From Google earth this appears to be 0.92k, using the ruler and path tool to where the white bars are in the ground--maybe this is not accurate?

are the white bars the bollards ? I always thought the full length of the Khyber was just under 1k and would be (pleasantly) surprised if the bollard to bollard measurement was much over 800 metres. I have a metre wheel so I'll look into this over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

are the white bars the bollards ? I always thought the full length of the Khyber was just under 1k and would be (pleasantly) surprised if the bollard to bollard measurement was much over 800 metres. I have a metre wheel so I'll look into this over the coming weeks.

yep,the metal bars coming up from the ground,i do this section as part of a 2.5m loop 3-4 days every week and hope it is accurate enough to measure with google earth but would like to know if this tool is correct or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

yep,the metal bars coming up from the ground,i do this section as part of a 2.5m loop 3-4 days every week and hope it is accurate enough to measure with google earth but would like to know if this tool is correct or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Using map my run - it works out about .74miles.

I'd be in the same boat as you greenplain. I've been running (plodding away) for over a year now, and am up to about week 12 on Hal Higdon's 30 week plan. I can run about 7miles, with a bit of stiffness after, but I just want to complete the course in and around 4.5hours come October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Using map my run - it works out about .74miles.

I'd be in the same boat as you greenplain. I've been running (plodding away) for over a year now, and am up to about week 12 on Hal Higdon's 30 week plan. I can run about 7miles, with a bit of stiffness after, but I just want to complete the course in and around 4.5hours come October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

MarieC wrote: »
    So Im only going for a max of 3 runs a week, with the longer one at the weekend, 2-3 swimming or aqua jogging sessions during the week for non-impact training and 2 gym sessions for core strengthening.

I know nothing will replace the miles on the road, but does this sound ok for a marathon plan?

For the moment that sounds like plenty, although it depends on how long your runs are at the moment. Roughly how many miles do you do on the road per week, and how long is your long run? How do you see this increasing over the next few weeks/months?

As time goes on, it may be worth cutting back on some of the gym sessions and replacing them with road runs, but listen to your body especially seeing as you've had a setback before.

So Im only going for a max of 3 runs a week, with the longer one at the weekend, 2-3 swimming or aqua jogging sessions during the week for non-impact training and 2 gym sessions for core strengthening.

I know nothing will replace the miles on the road, but does this sound ok for a marathon plan?

For the moment that sounds like plenty, although it depends on how long your runs are at the moment. Roughly how many miles do you do on the road per week, and how long is your long run? How do you see this increasing over the next few weeks/months?

As time goes on, it may be worth cutting back on some of the gym sessions and replacing them with road runs, but listen to your body especially seeing as you've had a setback before.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Thanks Peckham.

I think the training program Im following is Hal Higdon Novice 1 marathon plan. his wk 1 mileage is 15miles and my plan got me to 13.4 last week. so Id a 3.2, 6.2 and 4miler. All of my runs are on the road.

I agree that i hopefully can ween off or at least reduce the gym sessions as time goes on and increase the milegage. But eitherway, i hope to be pretty much up to the expected mileage per week. I wont know until I try how the leg will behave but here's hoping!! Even though Im a slow runner the disappointment of not being able do a run Id trained for was not pleasant to say the least.

Thanks Peckham.

I think the training program Im following is Hal Higdon Novice 1 marathon plan. his wk 1 mileage is 15miles and my plan got me to 13.4 last week. so Id a 3.2, 6.2 and 4miler. All of my runs are on the road.

I agree that i hopefully can ween off or at least reduce the gym sessions as time goes on and increase the milegage. But eitherway, i hope to be pretty much up to the expected mileage per week. I wont know until I try how the leg will behave but here's hoping!! Even though Im a slow runner the disappointment of not being able do a run Id trained for was not pleasant to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

just wanted to get some opinions...i am a huge asics fan have the kayano 13 . i need a new pair will i get the kayanos 14 or is there other good makes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

just wanted to get some opinions...i am a huge asics fan have the kayano 13 . i need a new pair will i get the kayanos 14 or is there other good makes

I'm a big fan of the Hal Higdon novice plans, so would have every faith in the one you are following. If you stick to it, then I would expect you'll be fine. One piece of advice though would be that if you are skipping runs from the plan to supplement them with gym sessions, then make sure it is not the long run you are skipping - as I'm sure you know, this is undoubtedly the most important element in the training plan, particularly for first-timers.

I'm a big fan of the Hal Higdon novice plans, so would have every faith in the one you are following. If you stick to it, then I would expect you'll be fine. One piece of advice though would be that if you are skipping runs from the plan to supplement them with gym sessions, then make sure it is not the long run you are skipping - as I'm sure you know, this is undoubtedly the most important element in the training plan, particularly for first-timers.

greenplain wrote: »

Check out the athletics forum. There has been a couple of lively debates regarding shoes, gait analysis etc

Check out the athletics forum. There has been a couple of lively debates regarding shoes, gait analysis etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

If Kayanos are working for you and you're getting no injuries I'd say stick with them. If you're having any problems a shop that gives gait analysis will be able to point you in the right direction for a shoe that works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

If Kayanos are working for you and you're getting no injuries I'd say stick with them. If you're having any problems a shop that gives gait analysis will be able to point you in the right direction for a shoe that works for you.

of course yeah, will be keeping the long weekend run in and it is a mid-week run that is being cut at the moment. Have only done 1 previous marathon, Dublin 2008 and that took me 5hrs 04min so 4:59:59 is my goal!

of course yeah, will be keeping the long weekend run in and it is a mid-week run that is being cut at the moment. Have only done 1 previous marathon, Dublin 2008 and that took me 5hrs 04min so 4:59:59 is my goal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

According to my Garmin it's 900m from white bollards at bottom to bollards at top IIRC. 4 reps at about 3.20 each was a horrible session!

• Advertisement

According to my Garmin it's 900m from white bollards at bottom to bollards at top IIRC. 4 reps at about 3.20 each was a horrible session!

Hi there,

Yes I started my 18week training plan last week for Dublin marathon. I had been training earlier this year for Connemara but had to pull put half way through training with a suspect stress fracture. I am not a fast runner and my goal is just under 5hrs for Dublin. Im trying to balance my training this time around to build strength. So Im only going for a max of 3 runs a week, with the longer one at the weekend, 2-3 swimming or aqua jogging sessions during the week for non-impact training and 2 gym sessions for core strengthening.

I know nothing will replace the miles on the road, but does this sound ok for a marathon plan? I really really dont want to get injured again and not be able to run. Even with 10k runs I can still feel a decent niggle down along my shin bone and a nice bump where the imjury was 6 months ago...So do I change my running strategy, go to preventative physio or just stick with my exercises, build up my core strength and hope for the best??

In your situation, I'd go with the aqua-jogging over the swimming for the 2-3 pool sessions a week. Good idea, considering your history of stress fracture. To prevent the aqua-jogging from getting too boring, mix it up a bit - do some interval sessions. I think there are some examples of these on the Catherina McKiernan website but don't have an address to hand.

Hi there,

Yes I started my 18week training plan last week for Dublin marathon. I had been training earlier this year for Connemara but had to pull put half way through training with a suspect stress fracture. I am not a fast runner and my goal is just under 5hrs for Dublin. Im trying to balance my training this time around to build strength. So Im only going for a max of 3 runs a week, with the longer one at the weekend, 2-3 swimming or aqua jogging sessions during the week for non-impact training and 2 gym sessions for core strengthening.

I know nothing will replace the miles on the road, but does this sound ok for a marathon plan? I really really dont want to get injured again and not be able to run. Even with 10k runs I can still feel a decent niggle down along my shin bone and a nice bump where the imjury was 6 months ago...So do I change my running strategy, go to preventative physio or just stick with my exercises, build up my core strength and hope for the best??

In your situation, I'd go with the aqua-jogging over the swimming for the 2-3 pool sessions a week. Good idea, considering your history of stress fracture. To prevent the aqua-jogging from getting too boring, mix it up a bit - do some interval sessions. I think there are some examples of these on the Catherina McKiernan website but don't have an address to hand.

great stuff. A couple of months back I was hammering up these but I thought they were only 800 metres.

Think I should have raced a bit more recently because if they are 900 metres I was going well.

great stuff. A couple of months back I was hammering up these but I thought they were only 800 metres.

Think I should have raced a bit more recently because if they are 900 metres I was going well.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Hi

I think some hill work is important. When I ran my marathon pb I was incorporating some tough hills into my long run. I will be doing this again this year. There are a couple of inclines around the 20 mile mark in Dublin that shouldn't be underestimated (as I did last year).

+1 on this, anyone who hasn't run dublin before would be well advised to do a couple of laps from Ashtons in clonskeagh up around ucd down fosters ave and then back to where you started from. This includes the hardest section of the whole marathon imo. The long drag up from the dodder past ucd comes at the worst time it could. Even the short slope up the overpass outside ucd on the N11 is tough after the previous 2 miles. I stopped to stretch my quad there and got a cramp in my hamstring from doing it, if I hadn't been so sore I'd have laughed!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Hi

I think some hill work is important. When I ran my marathon pb I was incorporating some tough hills into my long run. I will be doing this again this year. There are a couple of inclines around the 20 mile mark in Dublin that shouldn't be underestimated (as I did last year).

+1 on this, anyone who hasn't run dublin before would be well advised to do a couple of laps from Ashtons in clonskeagh up around ucd down fosters ave and then back to where you started from. This includes the hardest section of the whole marathon imo. The long drag up from the dodder past ucd comes at the worst time it could. Even the short slope up the overpass outside ucd on the N11 is tough after the previous 2 miles. I stopped to stretch my quad there and got a cramp in my hamstring from doing it, if I hadn't been so sore I'd have laughed!

copacetic wrote: »
    Even the short slope up the overpass outside ucd on the N11 is tough after the previous 2 miles.

And after all that, even the speed bumps on Nutley Lane are tough....let's not even mention the bridge over the canal on Grand Canal Street!

copacetic wrote: »
    Even the short slope up the overpass outside ucd on the N11 is tough after the previous 2 miles.

And after all that, even the speed bumps on Nutley Lane are tough....let's not even mention the bridge over the canal on Grand Canal Street!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Hiya - I've signed up for this as well. Ran it in 2005 (my first) and again in 2006 so looking forward to it. I have to admit that the only hill I really remember hating is the UCD flyover but there are a few further back that are short but fairly sharp, IIRC.

I started a butchered P&D schedule last week and covered a fairly gentle 31 miles over he course of it and am hoping to hit around 50 this week and keep it up at that level and beyond until the day but I have a 2 week holiday in the middle of it, which might knacker things a bit.

And isn't it traditional in these sorts of threads to have a list of people running and target times? I haven't really set a target properly yet but I'm thinking 3:10, what about the rest of you?

Advertisement