Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Chill out guys, the op is looking for info on the scam not an argument about speech disabilities.

Op this is a definite scam. It works by email contact mainly or a non irish phone number. Email will usually be from a free server. They will say the want into on the item, usually failing to ask any specific question or even the name of your car. Then they agree to buy it saying they will send a bank draft and asking for your info and ask you to send the car by shipping. There will always be a reason for them to request you send money to them by western union, either an overpayment or they will have included shipping in the payment and paid too much. So they ask you to refund money. You send it and car onto them and a while later the bank draft will bounce. You're left without the car, money and extra funds you've sent.

As regards email vs phone no contact either i think is fine. One would be better for some people, not others. I'm selling a car at the moment and i find with phone calls i get a lot of calls from uk advertisers and on email i get things like this. You get genuine people from both forms of contact just have enough common sense about you to weed them out

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Fazer6

It's a scam.
    A work colleague of mine had the same BS when he was selling his motorbike.
    He showed me the bankdraft that he was sent, it looked like the genuine article.
    And the same cr@p with the draft being for more than the asking price and he would accept a cheque for the change from the draft.

Be very very careful.

As many previous posters have said, cash is best !

Fazer6

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

@ biro and benifa

give it a rest !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Biro wrote: »
    Re read my post, because you're coming across as the ignoramas here.
    Name-calling should be left in the playground Biro.
    How the hell can they e-mail me when they're standing there in front of me looking at my car?
    I thought it was obvious that I was responding to your sentence, '..a friend or family member, who could make the phone call for them.'.
    In case you have memory of below 4 seconds then you should have remembered that I started that question with "How will they communicate when they come to view it?"
    And as you have pointed out, they could take a friend or family member with them. I have no issue with that part of your post.
    But again, you're far too interested in lambasting me for something that you have a bee in your bonnet over than waking up and opening your eyes and listening to reason.
    On the contrary, I'm merely trying to make YOU listen to reason, and understand that, for some people, email communication is vital to their everyday life, since they may have genuine reasons for not using the phone at all.

What you have to understand, Biro, is that your attitude of (and I quote you) 'You're interested in a car, you ring. It's the best way to do it. Any serious buyer should only ring.', is bigoted, short-sighted and downright wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

peasant wrote: »
    @ biro and benifa

give it a rest !

I give up anyway. I won't be posting on this thread again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Honda accord 2006 black, 70,000miles 2.0 i-vtec. No pics yet but i got a call about a car coming into a garage with that spec and no damage to bodywork etc... €16000

I know the mileage is v high..but..

This sounds very strange to me. I don't suppose I can name the garage? I'm gonna run a cartell when i get the details and pics of the car. I'll post the ad details when it gets added to carzone..

(I'm looking for at least a 2005 accord and don't want to pay €17k - €20k like most garages are offering, i'll go for diesel or petrol..)

Edit: This is the ad here.

I ran a cartell three star check.

According :rolleyes: to Cartell,
    Fuel Type PETROL
    Engine Capacity (cc) 1998
    Transmission Manual
    Power 114KW
    CO2 Emissions 176

Imported No
    Last Date of Sale Not Recorded
    Tax Expiry Date 31-Jul-2008
    Date of First Registration 19-Jul-2006
    Date of First Registration in Ireland 19-Jul-2006
    Country of Origin JAPAN
    Manufacture Date 2006
    Previous Registration Not Recorded
    Manufacture Details Honda Japan

NCT Due Date 18-Jul-2010

Is there anything there I should be concerned about.. The japan thing confuses me a bit, I believe it is not an imported vehicle according to the report.. Never been used as a taxi either. Will have to wait til tomorrow for the results of the finance check..

Sorry if I'm thread-jacking..!

Any help appreciated here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Cheap, what are ya on about, thats crazy money for those bangers.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

Its probably a cunning plan to get peoples attention

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Madness. Those cars are way over priced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

@funkyflea :i think it all seems alright. Milage is high but was probably a rep mobile! The car tell was just saying it made in japan and honda japan is the company that made it so chill!!

Still don't know about the milage though! 2 years 116km's? The ad does seem genuine. Go to the garage and you'll find out if its real!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

cabrwab wrote: »
    @funkyflea :i think it all seems alright. Milage is high but was probably a rep mobile! The car tell was just saying it made in japan and honda japan is the company that made it so chill!!

Still don't know about the milage though! 2 years 116km's? The ad does seem genuine. Go to the garage and you'll find out if its real!

Thanks, yeah that's what I was thinking. Am hopefully gonna take a trip up on saturday to check her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Cadzer

I have put a car on Carzone to sell , and i keep getting emails from people in the UK saying ill buy the car , consider it sold etc. They will even pay 100 euro more.I am prosuming this is a scam?

Has this happened to anyone else?
    Has anyone done business with these guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If it looks too good to be true it probably is. Scamming seems rampant and getting worse imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It is a scam, and the people are not in the UK.

Not your ornery onager

Finance check on the honda came back today - according to cartell, 'The vehicle IS currently the subject of a financial agreement'

So what happens now?

Do I tell the garage selling the car? I'm guessing there's nothing I can do about this. I know the report could be slightly out of date. If I get a letter from the finance company assuring me that this is not the case is this ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

My current car was a financial repo in the UK doesnt bother me as was reregistered ere anyway. When I did a HPI check on the car came back finance outstanding even though the seller said it was paid. I just simply rang the financial institution that was owed, the HPI doc should tell you who and queried it. Simple as. Think i needed the reg, make and model.

Where can I find out - cartell report doesn't say which finance company the finance is with..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

I am currently selling the wifes motor and have received this by a fella whose e-mail address is in Australia. Is this a scam?? :confused:

Thanks for your mail,i do want you to know that am ok with the price , and the payment will be by Cheque ONLY,as i have a contact in who will make payment to you on my behalf , so if you are ok with this,get back to me asap with your details needed for the addression of the Cheque such as below:

Name to be on the Cheque:
    Address where Cheque will be received by you:
    Phone Number's such as Mobile ,Land line and Office Number:

As regards the shippment,i have a responsible shipping agent that will come for pick up as soon as you received your money and confirm this to me,i will ask my shipper to come for the pick up asap..
    Best regards

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

scam scam scam scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    I am currently selling the wifes motor and have received this by a fella whose e-mail address is in Australia. Is this a scam?? :confused:

Thanks for your mail,i do want you to know that am ok with the price , and the payment will be by Cheque ONLY,as i have a contact in who will make payment to you on my behalf , so if you are ok with this,get back to me asap with your details needed for the addression of the Cheque such as below:

Name to be on the Cheque:
    Address where Cheque will be received by you:
    Phone Number's such as Mobile ,Land line and Office Number:

As regards the shippment,i have a responsible shipping agent that will come for pick up as soon as you received your money and confirm this to me,i will ask my shipper to come for the pick up asap..
    Best regards

yes its a scam, there are lots of them around at the minute. best thing to do is mess around with them, have a little fun send them pictures of a crap car and give them loads of rubbish.
    They arent Australian they are Nigerian and with the rise in popularity of the internet, scamming people seems to be a valid profession over there.
    Its probably the same people that send you all those "you've just won the lottery you never entered" or "i've just inherited 21 million dollars and I need to rest it in your account and I'll give you 21%" e-mails

Slig wrote: »
    yes its a scam, there are lots of them around at the minute. best thing to do is mess around with them, have a little fun send them pictures of a crap car and give them loads of rubbish.
    They arent Australian they are Nigerian and with the rise in popularity of the internet, scamming people seems to be a valid profession over there.
    Its probably the same people that send you all those "you've just won the lottery you never entered" or "i've just inherited 21 million dollars and I need to rest it in your account and I'll give you 21%" e-mails

I wasn't sure hence the post. I take it they will start requesting bank details if I proceed? Should I give them the local Garda station as my address :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I wasn't sure hence the post. I take it they will start requesting bank details if I proceed? Should I give them the local Garda station as my address :D

Actually they will send you a bank draft for the full amount of money + the shipping companys charge. They will then make contact and ask for a draft from you for the shipping companys charge as it was mis calculated.
    you send the money and in the mean time their draft bounces.

Gardai arent exactly fully equipped to deal with cyber scamming and besides it will make no difference. Seriously there are thousands of them out there. Just mess them about abit, they are annoying timewasters at best or criminals at worst and the only way you can really affect them is to waste their time. They will have hundreds of scams going and e-mails to write, if you mess them about then you could be saving somebody else from being scammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

I told him to send his shipping agent over and he could pay me in cash - never heard from him again

Nigeria deserves to have it's internet access cut off the amount of scams originating from there.

2 scams in a day folks.

Hello,
    Thank you for your prompt response am glad to hear from you that the Peugeot is still available for sell,more so i know the price is advert in the website but i want you to deduct the price for me.
    Meanwhile i will like to know more details about the car before i proceed the purchase.
    What year the car built
    What is the mileage of the car.
    Furthermore i will let you know that after the inspection the payment will be made to you and i wont be able to come my self to pick up the car i will send auto-engineer to come for that.
    The payment will be Ireland bank draft so it will be easy for you to cash and the paper pertaining the car will change before the car leave Ireland.
    I look forward to read from you soonest.
    Best Regards
    Chris Noel.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ You're being scammed by Santa!

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    ^ You're being scammed by Santa!

Does that Santa look like this :D

Fonejacker_Wallpaper3_800x600b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Does that Santa look like this :D

Fonejacker_Wallpaper3_800x600b.jpg

"Ah hello... I need your bank details and sort code to transfer your monies into your account" and so on.

These scam's a rediculous, i really hope no one has fallen for any of these.

Advertisement