Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options
1484950515254»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

Well, 9 times out of 10 you're getting a much higher spec when talking about UK cars, with vans I can't be too sure. What I would be interested in is if there's a full service history with the van. You'd be surprised how many miles can be knocked up on a vehicle in 1-2 years when driving up & down the UK & on the continent 5-6 days a week. 90k sounds like a lot, but I've seen 2 year old cars for sale with 150k+ in the UK. It may have had more miles, bought for very little & clocked. This is not uncommon with nearly new imported UK cars. Also, the drivers seat could easily have been replaced. The other thing to check is, was it a Cat C or D write off? Damaged & repaired? Cat D is never really that bad & highly unusual on a 2 year vehicle, but if it had much higher mileage the insurance company wouldn't have valued the van at very much & main dealer repairs can be ridiculously expensive.
    You need to compare the equivalent van here. See if you can push the Irish van back on price if that gives you piece of mind. I'm pretty sure they must DOE the van & register it before they can charge VAT, so not sure if they'd allow you to do it, but who knows? Can't see a problem with cheque, bankers draft or postal order as payment, but don't expect the van until it's fully cleared, 3-5 working days!

Anyway, make sure you check any car/van history on cartell.ie or similar before buying. There's an app in the UK & I have it on my iPhone called Vehicle Smart. You pop in any UK reg & manufacturer & it gives you the full MOT history with all advisory & failure notices, tax status, brackets & cost. Never tried it with a van, but it's worth a go as it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Terryodea

Thanks barochoc for the answer, very helpful, I thought I answered you back the other day, Im still getting used to the net :)

Advertisement