Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Ha I saw that fonejacker last night.

"I would jump at de chance to see ant and dec on satada night live... I would jump at de chance!"

Regarding the post i made earlier, carzone said the finance is with bank of ireland and will help me sorting it out if I want. Dealer says he is getting it 'cleared' and that I am not to worry about it.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Good Morning,
    Thank you once again i received your mail that i should provide my information well below is the information you request for but i will need to write the engineering company for there phone number.
    My information.....
    Name....Chris Noel
    Address...4 Brown low Street, Liverpool, L69 3GP, UK
    Phone....+447024037355

Auto Engineer information?
    Ferney Auto Engineering Ltd
    1458-1468 High Road,
    London, N20 9BS
    phone....0208456671

I await to hear from you and have a wonderful weekend
    Regards
    Chris Noel.

I searched that postcode and its for the University of Liverpool:p. Also I googled Chris Noel who just happens to be the name of the vice president of business development at Solutionary Inc., an Internet security technology firm. :eek:

Unreal aren't they :D

Also Googled his mobile number and got this

• This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
      • +447024037355 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)

My reply :D

Hello,

Amazing. I have a police officer friend who gives lectures at the University of Liverpool. Can I arrange for them to meet you in person before we
    go ahead with proceedings?

Best Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Auto Engineer information?
    Ferney Auto Engineering Ltd
    1458-1468 High Road,
    London, N20 9BS
    phone....0208456671

Also, 0208456671 is not a BT landline. It is likely to be Skype or some other VoIP provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I've gotten a ton of these since i started selling my audi a6, had a few scammers replying saying they loved the 7 seats option:confused: they give payment now! This morning i got one signed paul hewson! Bono wants to buy my car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Hi - if anyone has read my prev posts re the honda - the garage now say the finance is cleared and they can get me a letter from the bank to confirm this on monday.

Do you think this is good enough? Am going to check the car out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Funkyflea, you should really start a new thread restating your situation, as I don't think the answers to your questions are going to happen in this thread.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dosser1

I saw this ad on Carzone: http://www.carzone.ie/1101467

Nice 1 year old car, great price..... or maybe too great!!

I contacted the seller through carzone & got this reply:

So I emailed the seller back & asked for a telephone number & his reply minus a telephone number is:

I think this smells too fishy to be true....What do you folks think ??:eek:
    lol this really does amaze me,this is a reply that i got from a similar ad from motornet.ie,
    Audi A3 Attraction 1.6L
    Price : 4700 euro
    Mileage : 35,728

NCT 08/2010, Airbags, Alloys, CD / Radio, Colour Coded Bumpers, Electric Mirrors, Electric Windows, Full Service History, Lady Owner, Metallic Paint, Power Steering, Remote Central Locking, Traction Control, , 1 owner(s)

Excellent Condition, the car was kept in a garage , it has Audi service book,the tires have been changed recently, and doesn't need repairings.It has no engine problem, no scratches.
    Registered in Ireland .The car is at the moment in Liverpool, UK.
    I live in the USA, I bought the car for my brother who lived in Ireland and then moved to UK. Unfortunately he died recently and I cannot take the car with me.
    You do not have to pay any taxes for this car. It is very easy to register it to your name .
    I have all the documents ready for sale. The car documents are on my name, so it is very simple.
    As payment I only accept cash and we will have to meet in Liverpool for the sale.

Thank you and I hope you will decide to buy my car.
    Here are some photos.

Regards,Sonya
    ..............Another i find strange is that they sent me a scan of tax book,i done motor check on it and everything came back perfect,i can see how easy it would be to get scammed,be very weary everyone,"IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE,IT USUALLY IS"..

dosser1 wrote: »
    lol this really does amaze me,this is a reply that i got from a similar ad from motornet.ie,
    Audi A3 Attraction 1.6L
    Price : 4700 euro
    Mileage : 35,728

NCT 08/2010, Airbags, Alloys, CD / Radio, Colour Coded Bumpers, Electric Mirrors, Electric Windows, Full Service History, Lady Owner, Metallic Paint, Power Steering, Remote Central Locking, Traction Control, , 1 owner(s)

Excellent Condition, the car was kept in a garage , it has Audi service book,the tires have been changed recently, and doesn't need repairings.It has no engine problem, no scratches.
    Registered in Ireland .The car is at the moment in Liverpool, UK.
    I live in the USA, I bought the car for my brother who lived in Ireland and then moved to UK. Unfortunately he died recently and I cannot take the car with me.
    You do not have to pay any taxes for this car. It is very easy to register it to your name .
    I have all the documents ready for sale. The car documents are on my name, so it is very simple.
    As payment I only accept cash and we will have to meet in Liverpool for the sale.

Thank you and I hope you will decide to buy my car.
    Here are some photos.

Regards,Sonya
    ..............Another i find strange is that they sent me a scan of tax book,i done motor check on it and everything came back perfect,i can see how easy it would be to get scammed,be very weary everyone,"IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE,IT USUALLY IS"..

Imagine turning up in Liverpool with that cash on your person and these blokes waiting on you :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Imagine turning up in Liverpool with that cash on your person and these blokes waiting on you :eek:

Imagine turning up in Liverpool with that cash on your person and six lads with you and these blokes waiting on you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 dosser1

Imagine turning up in Liverpool with that cash on your person and six lads with you and these blokes waiting on you :D
    she wanted me to send western union to liverpool in my name to prove i would be there,lol as if...
    would be nice to meet them in person with a few boys with me,haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭CarList.ie

At www.carlist.ie, we receive (and block) many scam messages each week. They are similar to many others posted on this thread, here is the latest:

Hello, My Name is Dr James M***ham from Uk,i saw your advert of sales of your car,and i will like to know if the car still available buy it.Awaiting your urgent reply as ASAP.

These messages don't make it through to any seller, we manually screen every message.

Would it be useful if I was to post each new message to this thread as they come in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

How do you filter that? No ad ID?

BostonB wrote: »
    How do you filter that? No ad ID?

We use pattern matching to automatically label possible scam messages. We also maintain a list of known scammers. Ultimately, we review each message before it is sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

CarList.ie wrote: »
    Would it be useful if I was to post each new message to this thread as they come in?

Please don't ...they're all the same anyway

peasant wrote: »
    Please don't ...they're all the same anyway

No problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Way cant Carzone and others just stop advertising these scam cars in the first place?

No Advert should be placed on any website without the persons ID, email, Address, contact numbers, all been Verified.

I'd say its interesting working out ways to catch them all. I guess theres lots of similarities in them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

At www.carlist.ie, we receive (and block) many scam messages each week. They are similar to many others posted on this thread, here is the latest:

Hello, My Name is Dr James M***ham from Uk,i saw your advert of sales of your car,and i will like to know if the car still available buy it.Awaiting your urgent reply as ASAP.

These messages don't make it through to any seller, we manually screen every message.

Call me naive, but how can you know for sure that the above email is not genuine?

benifa wrote: »
    Call me naive, but how can you know for sure that the above email is not genuine?

They generally send the same message to many sellers at the same time, are often doctors and never mention anything specific about the car. They often use british telephone numbers too.

It isn't an exact science but I favor not sending possible scam emails and accept that genuine messages may not get through from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Well for starters, who in their right mind would buy an irish registered VRT paid car from Ireland and bring over to the UK?

But i do see your point, lets say if it was a classic or something rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The standard of his English (considering he claims to be a doctor) is appalling for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

They generally send the same message to many sellers at the same time, are often doctors and never mention anything specific about the car. They often use british telephone numbers too.

It isn't an exact science but I favor not sending possible scam emails and accept that genuine messages may not get through from time to time.

I think what you're doing is great but given how difficult it is to sell cars at the moment would it not be better to send it to the sender with a warning possible scam message attached?

LolaDub wrote: »
    I think what you're doing is great but given how difficult it is to sell cars at the moment would it not be better to send it to the sender with a warning possible scam message attached?
    There are loads of thick, gullible people out there who would still fall for this crap even after being warned that it was a scam.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Folks, I know 99 percent of people woudn't fall for this, but anway, i am getting it out there, and I contacted carzone.

I knew this was dodgy, so I sent a request for this car.

http://www.carzone.ie/1215519

reply was

Options :
    Alloys, Metallic Paint, Electric Windows, Central Locking, Alarm, Driver's Air Bag, Passenger Air Bag, Climate Control, CD Player, Adjustable Steering Wheel.
    Very good car! No repairs done. No stripes, the car was never damaged. This is first hand car, keep in garage and maintained every time at SEAT service.

The tires have been changed recently, and there is no problem of engine, body, etc.
    Irish plates. The car is at the moment in Liverpool, England.

I live in the USA, I bought the car for my brother who lived in Ireland and then moved to England. He died now, I took care myself of the funerals and I returned to the USA so I cannot take the car with me.
    You do not have to pay any extra taxes for this car. It is very easy to register it to your name. I know the law and I have all the documents ready for sale. The vehicle is registered under my name.
    For payment I accept only cash and we will have to meet in Liverpool for the sale contract, as soon as is possible for you.
    Thank you in advance and i hope you decide to make the deal.

Regards

The i really took the pi** so i said, ill offer 4750 in this tough market.

Reply was.

Hi there,
    I'll take your offer. We will meet on 04.10.2008 in Liverpool. The sale will occur without problems, because I have all the documents ready.

I will not ask for money in advance, but you must reserve the car and I will come only if you are decided to buy it because USA is far... And as a guarantee that you really want to buy the car and you have money (in cash) for the car, I require that you prove me that you will be in Liverpool. For this, you must arrange a deposit paid on your name for 4750 euros. With regard to the deposit, there is a service very fast and easy to use, this name of service is Western Union, it is a service for sending the cash and you will find it in your city. All that you must do is to ask a person of confidence to go to Western Union with the cash and to send it to Liverpool to your name as receiver.

(I ask you for this because I want to be 100 % sure that you will be there and you are ready to buy it because last week I came for nothing. A man from Dublin said to me that he wants to buy it and I was in Liverpool, but he never came and never answered to my emails or telephone.)

After the transfer is made I want that you send me a scan of receipt of transfer by email, so I can check on the website of Western Union and if all is ok, I will come to Liverpool to conclude the business.
    You will verify the documents and test the car and we will make the sale. We will go then to a Western Union office, you will take the money and give it to me.

PS: I said that another person must be the sender, not you because in Liverpool WU does not give you the money if the receiver is a also sender. You will be the receiver.

This transfer is also good for you because you avoid the risk of a traveling with the money in pocket.

So my next reply now will be to get the account details for the fun...
    id love to know how they paid for the AD in first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

tred wrote: »
    So my next reply now will be to get the account details for the fun...
    Just move on, these emails are wasting a lot more of your time than the scammer's.;)

The scam here, as stated before in this thread, is that with the scan of the WU funds transfer, they can proceed to receive the money from WU, as they now have all the necessary details. I wonder how many people have fallen for this fairly novel scam?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I saw this ad on Carzone: http://www.carzone.ie/1101467

Nice 1 year old car, great price..... or maybe too great!!

I contacted the seller through carzone & got this reply:

So I emailed the seller back & asked for a telephone number & his reply minus a telephone number is:

I think this smells too fishy to be true....What do you folks think ??:eek:
    Got the exact same replies as this word for word on two seperate cars this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

tred wrote: »
    Folks, I know 99 percent of people woudn't fall for this, but anway, i am getting it out there, and I contacted carzone.

I knew this was dodgy, so I sent a request for this car.

http://www.carzone.ie/1215519
    Ad is still up on Carzone :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Any I've reported have stayed up aswell.

Advertisement