Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bovis

Sorry for cross-post:

Just wanted to let you know that the same car scammer is at it again.

Same story - German guy does Masters in Dublin, brings car back to Germany, umcomfortable to drive a RHD. Wants money sent via escrow to website iloxx.de

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/1.9-TDI/1125152/

Immediately the car ad has changed to SOLD. I've contacted carzone.ie.

How many of these ads are scams? Its really disappointing as I am searching for a good second hand car and its a shame that I'll have to take all the ads with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

bovis wrote: »
    Sorry for cross-post:

Just wanted to let you know that the same car scammer is at it again.

Same story - German guy does Masters in Dublin, brings car back to Germany, umcomfortable to drive a RHD. Wants money sent via escrow to website iloxx.de

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/1.9-TDI/1125152/

Immediately the car ad has changed to SOLD. I've contacted carzone.ie.

How many of these ads are scams? Its really disappointing as I am searching for a good second hand car and its a shame that I'll have to take all the ads with a pinch of salt.

i agree, all this does is waste your time, and could put people off looking at carzone.

bottom line, if a seller cant be bothered to put a phone number on his/her add, then don't bother looking.
    Never email the seller if there's no phone number, then the scammer has your email address.

I also think that carzone aren't doing enough to stop this kind of thing in the first place.
    also i thought carzone charge 30 euro a pop for an add? surely the scammer is not paying carzone? are they? and if so then it should be traceable

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 hornbag

Hi recently 1 week ago took my add for a mazda, off carzone as i needed to get some scratches cleared from paint work before i re-advertised it. I checked this morning to see how other cars similiar to mine where selling. I couldn't believe my eyes when i seen my car for sale for not 25k but 8k. Same pics ect. The number plate was hidden and there was no contact number. You could only contact this person by e-mail . I phoned carzone offices and a lady said yes this was a scam and she had the add deleted. Now if i put my car back on sale people will think my honest car is a doddgy deal. Carzone dont seeem to care. They just take the cash for the add and who cares about innocent people being robbed. If a car doeas not show the reg plate, there is no contact number and the price is sooo low its a scam.
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mazda/RX-8/car/1107870/

here is a golden example. Carzone should do more than just take the add fee its so obviouse these are scams

Sorry for the bad spelling in the last post. I'm working nights and my brain to finger connection isn't great at the moment soooo tired:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

so, are the scammers paying carzone for their add, or are the hacking their website? seems that there are so many added from scammers that i they surely cant be paying for all of them?

Carzone (and others CBG, B&S, etc.) should do more to filter out these scammers i.e. must have a contact number and give them more information when putting on the add

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

If carzone arranged to come out to the car to take a picture of it for their publication, would that stop some of the scams. There must be ways to stop this happening.

They should have 2 important questions on the page they use to make an add and if either is left out the add should not be able to proceed.
    1. A contact phone number which should be verified
    2. The reg number of the car.
    The scammers are using other peoples cars to make the scam. They used my details so they basically stole my car! That means carzone is helping in the sale of stolen cars. If u or i did that we would have the guards knocking our door !!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

mcwhirter wrote: »
    If carzone arranged to come out to the car to take a picture of it for their publication, would that stop some of the scams. There must be ways to stop this happening.
    I know I wouldn't pay someone to come out ant take photos... it take 2 mins to do it yourself and imagine if you were forced to pay someone to take pics so you could put your ad up, it'd never work!

Im going to look up obviouse scammers on carzone and tell carzone im being scammed to f--k up there day. They loose cash on evrey scam add that is reported:D:D Lets upset a scammer today:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

A friend of a guy i work with was scammed to the tune of 9k sterling on an rx-8. It was on autotrader.co.uk, he was based in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Is there any way you could tweak the auto response e-mail function on carzone so that you could send the scam sellers mails from scam buyers? :D

(you know the ones ..I'll send a checque for more money than you asked for etc)

oh that would be sweet. Im in work tonight i might spend an hour or 2 mailing these guys. Will try askin them to send me a token amount of money before i send them the BIG cash. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I'm waiting on a return mail on an audi a4, would love to do something along the lines of what a guy did in humour about the church of the loaves and the fishes, can't bloody find the thread now though. Long story short he made the scammer send a pic of himself with a fish on his head and a loaf of bread in his mouth

Sweet. But these guys must be makin big cash if they are still doing the scams. I sent an email to carzone about the car in my thread i got a reply 3 mins later saying can i please give more information on the said car. Send the url. I went to check it was gone. ROFL. No evidence to be found. So better to send email with dodgy car so scammer looses 30 euro an add;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

hornbag wrote: »
    They used my details so they basically stole my car! That means carzone is helping in the sale of stolen cars.
    Take a deep breath....

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

steve06 wrote: »
    I know I wouldn't pay someone to come out ant take photos... it take 2 mins to do it yourself and imagine if you were forced to pay someone to take pics so you could put your ad up, it'd never work!

What i meant was that carzone have photographers who do it, in the uk autotrader do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bovis

I agree that there is something that carzone.ie should do to stop this or at least limit it. One simple idea would be for them to water-mark the photo when its uploaded with something that would make the photo useless for the scam. Possibly put the original contact details on the photo.

By the way, it seems another very suspicious ad is up there now. I was searching for a 2007 Volkswagen Passat 1.9 TDI and came across one being sold thru a private seller for 10K under the other prices - and the really suspicious thing is that the background for the photos of the car match almost exactly the background being used for a reputable garage. Note: this time they give a number - beware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

so far out of 3 private ads I've tried on carzone. 2 were scams. At this point I probably not going to bother looking at private cars on Carzone anymore.

Previously when I was selling a car I got practically no response from an ad on carzone. Now I know why. Same car sold the first day it went into the evening paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Anyone think this could be one? no phone number just an email hmm http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Alfa-Romeo/147/Lusso-122bhp/1131359/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yes. It's well under half the price of the competition on carzone, granted carzone prices are infated...not by that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

Anyone think this could be one? no phone number just an email hmm http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Alfa-Romeo/147/Lusso-122bhp/1131359/

Plus there is no phone number - way low price & no phone number = scam / waste of time in my eyes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Irishpimpdude, all that'll happen when you email the "seller" is, you'll get a response saying that the car is in Germany and that he wants some untraceable method of payment. Run a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

http://beta.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/2.0-TDI/1119421/

2006 Audi A4 for sale, English reg and only 15g. Sounds good! Take a look at the picture of the clock and the date.... nice trick i'd like to know how he took a picture of the car's dash before it was manufactured!

Just report your suspicions to carzone they will delete the add. But carzone is still the best way of checking for cars. You just have to buy a car from a person u meet with the car and do a car check to check history.
    I bought a car from a dealer turned out to be a total lemon. Never buy a fiat punto. Oh ye if any one is intarested in an rx-8 its the blue one on car buyers guide. 06 for 23900 :p god loves a chancer:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Hmm. Someone with very poor English from the UK is willing to purchase my car once I send him photos of my registration certificate and chassis number..

Oh why of course, good sir! In fact, let me send the certificate to you signed..

Ha must be a new scam. Usually if its from england its those annoying agencys who have buyers for ur car!:rolleyes: ( are u mad sir, dont u want to sell ur car? Sir we have buyers now) F--k OFF:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭beanderb4

I'm trying to sell my Honda CRv at the moment. It is for sale on CBG and Buy n Sell at the mo.

I've received 2 email related queries from the UK. Both the emails were from quite English sounding names but when I rang, over two different days, I spoke to what I would describe as non-English guys. I cannot be sure but the guys actually sound similar but obviously the telephone numbers used are different.

Is anyone aware of any scams out there whereby the car is purchased over in Ireland and brought back to England and somewhere the deal falls through?

Just asking. Trying to make sure I don't get done. The obvious answer is not to deal with these guys if I am not sure, but the a*se has fallen out of the market here and there are no offers comming in from Ireland at this point.

Your views and experience would be appreciated.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Have a look at the scam thread. Id say its a scam where they give you money take the car, the cash/cheque is bull!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055320098

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Scam. I have an XTrail on CBG atm, and was contacted by English guy who "has a buyer". If I send him £120.00 fee up front he'll arrange shipping and payment. I asked him if he thought I was some kind of idiot. He was non-commital so I guess he may have thought so :)

Advertisement