Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

SCAM,
    Tell him the head gasket went yesterday but you still want to sell to him because he is an f'n pr1ck. bet he still offer to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

yes, my nephew had some car parts for sale on e bay. Buyer,foreign name with uk address sent a draft for 3 k. did not even enquire which parts were for sale. He wanted them delivered to Belgium.

Draft bounced, though we did not find out if it was forged or altered.
    Could not get him on Phone. Cannot remember what the sting was, but there was one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

these guys are tools, i mean come on does anyone ever fall for these rubbish scams - Anyone??????

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kwikksilva

What a fkn prick....

Thanks guys for your replies....

Matt Simis / caesar its stevensteword@yahoo.com,the same guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

kwikksilva wrote: »
    What a fkn prick....

Thanks guys for your replies....

Matt Simis / caesar its stevensteword@yahoo.com,the same guy.

Anyone who can hack or hustle into yahoo accounts?

Mai bombing suggestions/tactics also appreciated!

Oh dear..... I detect a thread lock coming up!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

To issue a bank draft, the bank needs the payee's name only. They don't need the payee's address and phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

victor1 wrote: »
    these guys are tools, i mean come on does anyone ever fall for these rubbish scams - Anyone??????

Obviously they do or these guys would have given up ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kwikksilva

Oh dear..... I detect a thread lock coming up!!
    Edited my comment....

However, i would still like to destroy this guys email inbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Scam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

100% legit, i have sold many cars for many monies this way, i have found giving my bank account and sort code speeds up the process.;-).

• Advertisement

Maybe he wants to give you all the 1ps and 2ps that people forget about? :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=372Ah0Z_L1w

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Edited my comment....

However, i would still like to destroy this guys email inbox.
    You don't really think that's his personal email address, do you?:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

scam, sure banks only ask for who the draft is to be made payable to, they never ask for adress or phone numbers etc

just have some fun with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

victor1 wrote: »

the original poster almost fell for it . he came here looking for advice about it

kceire wrote: »
    just have some fun with him.
    There's no point, these guys have themselves set up like production lines. In the time you waste composing one reply, they've sent 100 emails. Boring as it sounds, the best thing is to just move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Anan1 wrote: »
    Boring as it sounds, the best thing is to just move on.

correct ...and we should do the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

A sticky is needed with a title that just says "If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck - guess what! It's a F**king duck!!"

Too many "is it scam" threads. Everything is a scam until proven otherwise.
    I don't know why people bother with e-mails. If I was interested in buying a car I'd just ring the number in the add. Why would I e-mail someone? I wouldn't even have my e-mail address in the add as anyone who mails or texts aren't really interested.

Biro wrote: »
    ..I don't know why people bother with e-mails. If I was interested in buying a car I'd just ring the number in the add. Why would I e-mail someone? I wouldn't even have my e-mail address in the add as anyone who mails or texts aren't really interested.

I disagree with this completely. There could be a huge number of reasons why people, such as myself, prefer to make contact via email rather than phone. For example, the buyer may have a speech impediment making phone calls difficult and embarrassing. The buyer may have an accent which puts the seller off (yes, it happens). The buyer may not speak English very well, which again, may put the buyer off. The buyer may be at work and unable to use the phone.

As it goes, I've bought and sold cars recently where the initial (and in one case all) communication has been via email only. No problems at all.

benifa wrote: »
    I disagree with this completely. There could be a huge number of reasons why people, such as myself, prefer to make contact via email rather than phone. For example, the buyer may have a speech impediment making phone calls difficult and embarrassing. The buyer may have an accent which puts the seller off (yes, it happens). The buyer may not speak English very well, which again, may put the buyer off. The buyer may be at work and unable to use the phone.

As it goes, I've bought and sold cars recently where the initial (and in one case all) communication has been via email only. No problems at all.

Well fair enough if it works for you, but I disagree with you and I'm never going to give my e-mail address. If they're that embarrassed to talk to you, what are they going to do when they come to inspect it? Etch-o-sketch?
    You're interested in a car, you ring. It's the best way to do it. Any serious buyer should only ring. You need to be aware and catch out any chancers by not giving them time to reply.
    Life's too short for clearing out inboxes full of scam mails.

Good points. I think it's clear from the actual message whether the person is seriously interested or not. For example, I have a car for sale at the moment, 'no texts or canvassers' stated at the bottom of the ad. Yesterday I got this: 'I know you said no texts but im in the library.i dont suppose 15k euro cash wud interest u 4 the porsche.thanks'. I mean, seriously!:D

• Advertisement

..If they're that embarrassed to talk to you, what are they going to do when they come to inspect it? Etch-o-sketch? You're interested in a car, you ring. It's the best way to do it. Any serious buyer should only ring.

Right, so you didn't read my post then? Do you know that a speech impediment is a disability that affects a sufferer's day-to-day life, especially when people don't understand or sympathise, and make jokes, as you have illustrated in your post?

:o

Anan1 wrote: »
    Good points. I think it's clear from the actual message whether the person is seriously interested or not. For example, I have a car for sale at the moment, 'no texts or canvassers' stated at the bottom of the ad. Yesterday I got this: 'I know you said no texts but im in the library.i dont suppose 15k euro cash wud interest u 4 the porsche.thanks'. I mean, seriously!:D

If I were seriously interested in your Porsche I'd be ringing for an appointment to see it, then making you an offer.

Right, so you didn't read my post then? Do you know that a speech impediment is a disability that affects a sufferer's day-to-day life, especially when people don't understand or sympathise, and make jokes, as you have illustrated in your post?

:o

I know what a speech impediment is. I don't joke about it. I asked you a question about it. How will they communicate when they come to view it? If it's somewhat controllable they'll come themselves and I will "as I always am" be patient and communicate well with them. If it's so bad that it prevents much progress in any conversation then I assume they have some other method, usually a friend or family member, who could make the phone call for them.
    But no, it's easier for you to turn on me and imply that I'm an ignorant prick who laughs at people with difficulties than to assume that people with any disability has learned to cope and work with it in everyday life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

What do ye make of this... i am selling my car and have been going back and forward with this guy, and he hasn't rang me, and he has not seen the car, yet he is offering me a draft already...

I said "Owner Emigrating" on my ad.. could he be just looking for my address to fleece the place? as he would know from the ad that i am leaving soon.

I have an awful bad feeling about this guy, who offers money first??? and THEN inspects the car afterwards!

I have not sold a car privately before.

Regards

Why wont everyone stop posting scams ?? its clear from the get go... jesus, we irish people make it so easy to b e scammed >.>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Who the hell uses the phrase 'fiduciary agent' in a legitimate private email. If you were both high powered bankers or something, yeah, but that alone tells you someone ran it through his online thesaurus :)

Who the hell uses the phrase 'fiduciary agent' in a legitimate private email. If you were both high powered bankers or something, yeah, but that alone tells you someone ran it through his online thesaurus :)

Not to mention Ulter bank!

I know what a speech impediment is. I don't joke about it. I asked you a question about it.
    You said "If they're that embarrassed to talk to you, what are they going to do when they come to inspect it? Etch-o-sketch?" I assumed that this 'question' was rhetorical (?)
    How will they communicate when they come to view it? If it's somewhat controllable they'll come themselves and I will "as I always am" be patient and communicate well with them.
    Good to hear it.
    If it's so bad that it prevents much progress in any conversation then I assume they have some other method, usually a friend or family member, who could make the phone call for them.
    Why should a buyer have to get someone else to call the seller on his behalf, when he could quite easily make his own enquiry, via email?
    But no, it's easier for you to turn on me and imply that I'm an ignorant prick who laughs at people with difficulties than to assume that people with any disability has learned to cope and work with it in everyday life.
    That's how you came across, Biro. And you're right, I'm sure that most people who have any form of disability do learn to cope with it in everyday life. Using email instead of the telephone is a clear example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

S.I.R wrote: »
    Why wont everyone stop posting scams ?? its clear from the get go... jesus, we irish people make it so easy to b e scammed >.>

Not everyone is an internet vet and/or a cynic. If you moved completely out of your element, a bit of communal support is a lifesaver. This particular scammer was asking normal questions in the first few mails (NCT, service history), so it looked only mildly fishy.

Also, since he is using the same email address to at least 3 people here, there would be some benefit to shutting it down. A more "professional" scammer would likely setup lots of email accounts and use different ones per scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I rang one of these clowns the other day, purely for the entertaiment on behalf of a mate that wasnt sure if it was a scam (LOL) :D

The guy supplied a UK number, it took 30 secs to start dialling, cue west african guy trying to remember which alias he used to email my mate !
    I told him the car was BOLLIXED and it had the wheels stolen "My friend I do not know anything about cars, I want it for my wife and will still buy it, just send me email" I kept asking him questions and he kept saying "send me email, send me email" lol :pac:

• Advertisement

Why should a buyer have to get someone else to call the seller on his behalf, when he could quite easily make his own enquiry, via email?

That's how you came across, Biro. And you're right, I'm sure that most people who have any form of disability do learn to cope with it in everyday life. Using email instead of the telephone is a clear example of this.

Re read my post, because you're coming across as the ignoramas here. How the hell can they e-mail me when they're standing there in front of me looking at my car? In case you have memory of below 4 seconds then you should have remembered that I started that question with "How will they communicate when they come to view it?"
    But again, you're far too interested in lambasting me for something that you have a bee in your bonnet over than waking up and opening your eyes and listening to reason.

Advertisement