Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ah i see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Got this email for the Astra I have for sale:
    Thanks for your swift response... I will be glad if you can send me some photos..

Due to nature of my job i will not be able to come for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours everyday,i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it.

Your price is Okay and i can offer you little bit more is 2,850euro, am offering you more than your asking price due to other potential buyers i hope my offer is acceptable..?

As for the payment..i will be paying you via the fastest and secure way to pay online(PayPal).

I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the payment have been made ... So no shipping included.. My private courier agent will come for the pick up and sign all necessary documents on my behalf after the payment have been made, as they will also be coming with all the information needed, my details and transferring the name of ownership to me will be done by the pick up agent so you don't have to worry about that...

You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and also include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.com/ie. and sign up. its very easy.I await your reply asap."

Vick Shun.

Sounded dodgy, who offers more than the asking price for a car??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Vick Shun does. Full name: E. Vick Shun

E be a scammer, lad.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭scoobymunster

I tried emailing him but for some reason the security check image thing doesn't appear? I've tried it a few times but alas it won't work. The same ad is on autotrader(for same price). Something doesn't seem right for it to be priced that cheaply though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Just got an email on my car im trying to sell
    sounds like a scam and im just going to ignore the guy...
    anyone heard of this one?

Hello,
    Happy to read from you. i am okay with the price,and i will be paying
    you with certified check,There is nothing to worry about the
    shipment.I have a shipping agent that will sign all the papers and
    the transfer
    of ownership certificate at your location on behalf of me when the
    money credited to your account. Any amounts on the issue price is to
    shipping agent for the shipping costs and matriculation expenses
    for the pickup at your location.
    The cheque will be verify and clear befor the shipping
    agent come for it.and i live in uk .
    Here is the information needed to consider fee of the
    cheque: --
    Full Name on the cheque.......
    Home Address..........
    Post code.......
    Country........
    Telephone number.........
    Thank you and hope to read from you the details.
    Who in Ireland talks like that!?

Got this email for the Astra I have for sale:

Sounded dodgy, who offers more than the asking price for a car??

Curious, how do they scam you? Isn't Paypal pretty safe like that? (I'm aware it's a blatant scam, by the way, just curious how it's done, involving Paypal).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Curious, how do they scam you? Isn't Paypal pretty safe like that? (I'm aware it's a blatant scam, by the way, just curious how it's done, involving Paypal).

Ebay/Paypal don't protect you when the purchase involves a car. "Buyer" sends the money over paypal, picks up the car and gets it signed over. "Buyer" then contacts paypal claiming sale didn't go through or whatever and asks for a chargeback. Paypal normally don't question it and reverse the payment ergo your now out of a car and no longer have the money in your account. Also don't think your covered if you buy any software/computer program etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

The whole website? The link just goes to the search results page, maybe its just my phone acting up?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I and presumably others reported the ad. Its been removed now.
    It was a merc for next to nothing.

Ebay/Paypal don't protect you when the purchase involves a car. "Buyer" sends the money over paypal, picks up the car and gets it signed over. "Buyer" then contacts paypal claiming sale didn't go through or whatever and asks for a chargeback. Paypal normally don't question it and reverse the payment ergo your now out of a car and no longer have the money in your account. Also don't think your covered if you buy any software/computer program etc.

Fair enough.

But if I receive the money for my car, and send it to my bank account (effectively emptying my Paypal account) then the buyer can not get a refund.

Also, seen as the car is now signed over to him, and I have all the details of the car (i did own it, afterall) surely I'll have no issue in getting Garda intervention?

Most Paypal accounts are linked to a bank account(or bank/credit card at least), so either Paypal could retrieve the money through the account, or else just default the account and try and chase you for the debt. (Not really sure but that'd be my guess). You'd definitely be able to get the Garda involved to try to get the car back, but of course the risk is that the name/address on the logbook is a fake, and the car might be broke up for parts. Not that common a scam I admit but it has happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Googled the number 087 9178520 and came up with:
    (links lead to Google cache pages, as original pages are gone)
    http://tinyurl.com/4ek48t5
    http://tinyurl.com/4v24acl

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

JJJJNR wrote: »

Don't see a whole lot wrong with that if it's VRT inclusive!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

dunno if this is the right place, but if anyone sees an ad for xantia activa or parts from one (roi/ni), it is possibly my stolen car, and i would be thankful if you could pm me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

I've had a dealer looking for the logbook for a scrapped car. I'm guessing he wants to repair and then sell it on. How illegal is this, and can he be reported?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Was it a car they scrapped? Do they need the logbook in order to claim the scrappage VRT rebate from the gov't?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

-Chris- wrote: »
    Was it a car they scrapped? Do they need the logbook in order to claim the scrappage VRT rebate from the gov't?

I meant breaker when I wrote dealer. Yeah, it was a car bought for scrappage off the insurance company.

Nothing was mentioned about needing the logbook for a VRT rebate, but I wasn't talking to the head guy so it's possible the guy I talked to wasn't aware why it was required, just that it was. I needed it to claim tax back so I didn't give it and just left a phone number. No calls after four days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Sorry, I mixed scrapped and scrappage I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭decies

Thanks for the prompt response,the price is ??,I am buying it for birthday gift for my Mother and i am at sea at the moment as i am a engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want the item to be a surprise for her so i wont let her know anything about the item until it gets delivered to her,i am sure she will be more than happy with the lovely gift . I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address and the final price so i can make the payments asap for the item and please if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the car up after i have made the payments.

Cheers...

The above is an email I got this morning regarding car on carzone ??? Avoid I guess????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

decies wrote: »
    The above is an email I got this morning regarding car on carzone ??? Avoid I guess????
    Yes. It's hard to believe anyone would ever fall for these things.

We should probably just have a sticky with the most common template car scams, so when you get an email from the king of Nigeria who is currently engineering at sea but needs a car specifically from Ireland for his neighbour's cat, you can look up the list and match it against the well-known scams.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 shubj

Reading these do really make me laugh. Their English really lets them down. I really hope there aren't people that fall for this. They would be very stupid but I can imagine my mother would fall for something like this. She is very gullable, got a phone call years back congratulating her on winning a holiday to Florida! Yea right. She gave her credit card details and paid a grand to them. Idiot. It still makes me mad to think how stupid she was/still is. She is still adament to this day that she wasn't scammed she just never took the holiday. She's not very well off so not sure how she can be so casual about losing a grand! She doesn't seem to understand that if you don't enter it, you can't win it.

For those 'in the know' please can you explain how the Paypal scam might work if you are only giving them your e-mail address? What action can they take to screw you over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

They send you fake Paypal emails which look totally legit..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

Put the car up for sale on a website.Got a text from someone called Murray but his name came up where someones number would be on my phone.Surely his number should have been sent or come up private no? He asked for price and condition of car which are clearly stated in my ad and asked me to email him directly and gave an email address.Is this some sort of scam?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Ive got SMS messages from my local bin company and a local take-away with their name in text as the senders number so it is possible, but as always keep your eyes open!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

mickob16 wrote: »
    Put the car up for sale on a website.Got a text from someone called Murray but his name came up where someones number would be on my phone.Surely his number should have been sent or come up private no? He asked for price and condition of car which are clearly stated in my ad and asked me to email him directly and gave an email address.Is this some sort of scam?
    It's hard to say - if you send texts through an SMS gateway you can forge the "from" number to be any alphanumeric string. Back when a few of us were working on SMS/web apps, I sent some testing texts to friends from "God" and "Yore ma!" etc. It could be a legit company like a dealership, or it could be some scammer. His questions don't sound encouraging tho. :)

Advertisement