Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

is this a scam?
    (link removed)
    2010 focus estate with only 100 miles on the clock for 13,250?
    List price for the car new is 23k+

never mind, as per post below, it looks legit

thanks Kbannon

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Googling the phone number reveals a lot about the seller - looks ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

I don't know if this is a scam, but I'm definately uneasy and have decided not to buy.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1984663

I called the number last Monday and arranged to meet the guy. He meet me at a shopping centre (he was driven there by a girl) and we followed him over to a housing estate. He explained that it's his girlfriends car and that she has received some offensive calls and texts and would prefer not to get involved. Fair enough that's not unreasonable.

I took a test drive and a look around the car. Very clean, runnning well and I was happy enough. I rang him back that night, arranged another viewing and told him I needed to meet the registered owner in order to go over the history, agree a price and organise payment. I ran a check on Cartell and met him again, bringing someone who knows a lot more about cars than I. Once more, car seems fine but no sign of the owner, who is from Kerry (where the car is registered) but studying in Limerick. I offer €1300 on the basis of a chat with the owner and he says it's not possible. To this, I told him I would take the car off him the very next night for a mutually agreeable price but I wasn't dealing with him as it wasn't his car.

Two days later I called him; he made a counter offer and offered to put the owner on the phone. He refused to allow me meet the owner and said I could pay him cash or transfer into his bank account, not hers. I declined on the basis of price, some bumper damage, no service history and a really dodgy vibe. It's feasible that he acquired the car and wanted to sell it on at a better price, but he could have saved himself the hassle by just registering it in his name instead. I would probably have bought it if the price was good.

Edit - forgot to mention, the VRC was already signed off in here name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

I reckon you caught this man out as a part-time dealer. AFAIK if you sell more than 3 cars a year you must declare it to revenue so you would be taxed on any profits.

See what the sellers reaction would be if you asked for a photocopy of his licence with a written signed receipt for the sale, signature must match licence.

If the car is 100% and all you are concerned with is the paper-work, ring the car registration office in Shannon, or get the name and address of the registered owner and try to ring them (or post a nice letter!)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

All I'll say is this. It's possible she couldn't handle the calls or was a walk over (intimidated by men buying the car) :(

When you did the cartell check, did you run the reg or the chassis no?

I'd always take both & make sure they match up. If they do & there's no HP on the car & it seems to be driving good with no mechanical problems, then I don't see a problem! :confused:

It's not that common to clone cars at this price level but I wouldn't put it past a desperate amateur! I've seen it plenty of times & heard of it many times too.

There's ALWAYS a certain amount of risk when buying privately! You just need to be smart ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Registered owner was detailed on the VRC, which was signed off in owners name. I had no problem doing everything but the actual payment through the guy so no worries with being pushy or intimidating her. Everything matched up on the Cartell check (reg and VIN) and also no finance. Like I said, I decided against it and have just now bought a 00 saloon in much better condition for €400 less...I'm happy out (so far anyway :pac: )

Thanks for the replies, car is still for sale BTW :P

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

concussion wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, car is still for sale BTW :P
    Car has gone from a
    "00 ford focus 1.4 litre hatch back"
    to
    "15 inch Ford Focus Alloys With New Tyres"
    I think he's on boards.ie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I advertised my sisters car on the Done Deal yesterday, have had no interest so far bar an MMS to my mobile which originated from an email address.

It read: Is the car still available, what is your lowest price? email me at this?

Immediately I guessed it was a scam but with the levels of morons on DD I wrote back
    Hello XXXXXXX,

Yes the car is still for sale, I only listed it yesterday. The price is €7,000 as advertised.

Thanks for the interest, if you have any more questions write back or give me a call at the number listed.

stinicker
    and got this in reply.
    ok no problem i will be paying you with my PayPal account because it's attached to my bank account and its safe and very secure way to make payment. If my mode of payment is accepted just send me your paypal email address,(Paypal ID) so i can pay in right away. Make sure you get back to me so that i can make the payment. I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been made, so no shipping included. And if you dont have a paypal account, you can easily go to www.paypal.com/ie Web site registration will take only 5 minutes just get back to me as soon as you registered.
    I had some fun a few years with the old 419 scam and really screwed around with a guy who tried scamming me. Any ideas where to proceed for the lolz?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Say that you having troubles to set up account. Ask him steb by step to help you out. Tell him username you make similar to: iamreallystupid etc lol

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Did the text come from a guy called "John V" - I get them all the time and googled the phone number'scountry code. Forget where it originated from.

Re; his scam, interesting he's using paypal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Did the text come from a guy called "John V" - I get them all the time and googled the phone number'scountry code. Forget where it originated from.

Re; his scam, interesting he's using paypal.

It wasn't a text but rather an email sent to my mobile no. and yes it was from a fellow called "John Victor".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

First post. I joined because of Limerick Man's guide to buying a used car because that is the position I am currently in.

I understand this is a fairly vague question but when you say the 'levels of morons on DD', is the general consensus to stay away from there when it comes to buying a used car?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

What can the guy do if he finds out your paypal account anyways ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Say that you having troubles to set up account. Ask him steb by step to help you out. Tell him username you make similar to: iamreallystupid etc lol

some american guy scammed the f**k off some guy there ages ago flogging an NSX, epic reading.

He got him to ring insane numbers, and holding up signs reading

ID I0T and etc...

class..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Keith186

some american guy scammed the f**k off some guy there ages ago flogging an NSX, epic reading.

He got him to ring insane numbers, and holding up signs reading

ID I0T and etc...

class..

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104987&page=1

Googled it and read most of it. Not finished yet but its hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

What can the guy do if he finds out your paypal account anyways ?

recall the payment after getting the car..... dead easy to do... I ignore emails/texts such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I would tell him that you are worried it is not a legitimate sake & because of the extra risk you need to rise the price to €8k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I get a good laugh out of fecking these guys about. Any story that makes you laugh is worth sending on. I had a guy once who was still interested in buying my €17K camper after I told him the the back axle had fallen off & I'd replaced it with shopping trolley castors & my dog had 17 pups in the double bed.

T.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Stinicker wrote: »
    It wasn't a text but rather an email sent to my mobile no. and yes it was from a fellow called "John Victor".

ahhhhh, one in the same scammer........only I got a text and the name John V came up.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Lolita77

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A4/1.9-TDI-/201116202077039/advert?channel=CARS

Same story: seller in Cork, Meath reg, only contact can be made through email and price is too good to be true!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

I am trying to sell a €1500 car at the moment. I got an enquiry in the middle of last week about it, seemed very interested. If anything overly so. For some reason, the person wanted to arrange a viewing for today. I thought it was a little odd that they would wait almost a week to look at a car. I figured with it being easter weekend maybe they were busy so went along with it. I decided not to give an address but just a general area.

I rang the number on saturday to confirm the meeting and just check it out really as I hadn't spoken to the person. They had up to this point asked no questions about the car. It turned out to be an English girl organising it for her mother. They said she couldn't come and look at the car any sooner because the mother couldn't get a lift...why would 50+ woman come to look at a car on her own?

Yesterday evening I text the daughter details of how to get here. This morning I missed a call on my phone but they left a message. it was from an international number, leaving me a message to cancel the viewing an hour before. I rang the daughter and she went from being really friendly and overly interested on saturday, to being slightly rude and basically not wanting to hear about it. she said she would ring her mother and ask her about it and text me back(I'm still waiting)

The call I got originated in holland. why would somebody living 8 miles away get someone from Holland to ring me to cancel a viewing?!!

It all seems a bit strange to me, but I am now left with them knowing my address which I am uncomfortable about...am I reading to much into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

-Corkie- wrote: »
    They send you fake Paypal emails which look totally legit..:)
    I got one from an ebay seller. I sent it to ebay customer service with note that it's a fake. I got a reply stating that it's genuine and that I should pay. I replied to ebay CS again as I never bought any "Iphone rubber cover" - this time they read my email and confirmed that it was a fake. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

the_syco wrote: »
    Car has gone from a
    "00 ford focus 1.4 litre hatch back"
    to
    "15 inch Ford Focus Alloys With New Tyres"
    I think he's on boards.ie :D
    Probably got rid of the car and then edited the add for the alloys so he wouldn't have to pay for a new add to put up

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I am trying to sell a €1500 car at the moment. I got an enquiry in the middle of last week about it, seemed very interested. If anything overly so. For some reason, the person wanted to arrange a viewing for today. I thought it was a little odd that they would wait almost a week to look at a car. I figured with it being easter weekend maybe they were busy so went along with it. I decided not to give an address but just a general area.

I rang the number on saturday to confirm the meeting and just check it out really as I hadn't spoken to the person. They had up to this point asked no questions about the car. It turned out to be an English girl organising it for her mother. They said she couldn't come and look at the car any sooner because the mother couldn't get a lift...why would 50+ woman come to look at a car on her own?

Yesterday evening I text the daughter details of how to get here. This morning I missed a call on my phone but they left a message. it was from an international number, leaving me a message to cancel the viewing an hour before. I rang the daughter and she went from being really friendly and overly interested on saturday, to being slightly rude and basically not wanting to hear about it. she said she would ring her mother and ask her about it and text me back(I'm still waiting)

The call I got originated in holland. why would somebody living 8 miles away get someone from Holland to ring me to cancel a viewing?!!

It all seems a bit strange to me, but I am now left with them knowing my address which I am uncomfortable about...am I reading to much into it?
    I'd say way too much. There are literally any number of benign potential reasons for their behaviour.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2123574

This car was sold a few weeks back with 250k miles on the clock.. It was a Taxi also. Guy selling it today has same name a guy selling it 2 weeks ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 32 xzid

Today my dad got a text and the guy asked for the final price and chassis no. of his car. Dad didnt give the chassis no. but told him about the condition of the car and when is the NCT due... This is what he got in reply..

'Thanks for the response, Actually am interested in this posted AD and i will really love to purchase it right away. Kindly put off the ad right away and consider me as your favorite buyer and I will have my shipper come over for the handling of the shipping down to my place after payment has been received which would be through PayPal as paypal is safe and secured for transactions online, advice soon as I'm an hydrographer and i am buying this for my personal use, If this is acceptable kindly get back to me with your paypal email address and the details below so i can proceed with the payment. I can only pay through paypal at the moment as i do not have access to my bank account online,but i have it attached to my paypal account, and this is why i insisted on using paypal to pay all i will need is your paypal email address to make the payments,and if you do not have a paypal account yet,its pretty easy to set one up at www.paypal.com,i will be expecting your email.

I will need this following details so i can proceed with the payment right away

Are you the first owner
    Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
    full name:
    What is your reason for selling it?
    Address:

I'm sorry, just want to be sure about the sale before i proceed
    Benjamin'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Thats some text !!

Share this guys phone number and we can compete to find the most innovative 'service' to sign him up to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

xzid wrote: »
    Kindly put off the ad right away and consider me as your favorite buyer and I will have my shipper come over for the handling of the shipping down to my place after payment has been received which would be through PayPal as paypal is safe and secured for transactions online, advice soon as I'm an hydrographer and i am buying this for my personal use, If this is acceptable kindly get back to me with your paypal email address and the details below so i can proceed with the payment.
    That's a fairly long sentence there. I'd be tempted to reply and just say "thanks for telling me the name of your job. Could you explain what a hydrographer does again?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Sounds like he 'tests the water' to see if someone will jump in!

Advertisement