Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cjb_ie

I dunno - I try not to be prejudiced, but I just didn't get a good vibe off the guy talking on the phone. Called me "sir" a lot (and no, he didn't sound Nigerian!)

He said he normally only offers €6-700 but he needs "the last two or three to fill up a container" so he's offering more for mine. That must be a huge container...

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

Ah sorry i didnt notice it was over the phone... i wouldnt do business with this gentleman then. Unless he comes over and pays cash but im sure some weird payment method will come up later on.
    cjb_ie wrote: »
    I dunno - I try not to be prejudiced, but I just didn't get a good vibe off the guy talking on the phone. Called me "sir" a lot (and no, he didn't sound Nigerian!)

He said he normally only offers €6-700 but he needs "the last two or three to fill up a container" so he's offering more for mine. That must be a huge container...

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

I've had a guy call to my door asking if I wanted to sell my old Corolla (valid tax, NCT & ins visible in the window), so I guess it could be a valid way of sourcing cars for scrap or cheap onward sale, ore I suppose even export. As already said, if you receive valid cash, what's the problem? Unless you do the deal in your house, and he scopes the place for where you might keep your BMW or Audi keys overnight . . .

Anyway, is this thread just for scams on cars? Or can I relay a tale regarding puncture repair?

I left a slow puncture in to be repaired. Good tread on the tyre - certainly not unsafe or out of tolerance, and no major damage anywhere. When I phoned to ask if it was ready to collect, I was told it was too badly damaged on the sidewall to repair, and I'd need a new tyre. I asked on the phone if I could see the tyre. When I got there, there was a 3" - 4" tear in the sidewall - new, clean exposed black rubber. I use power tools regularly, and I firmly believe this damage was caused by either a drill or a grinder, and not by kerb-damage. I weighed up my options on the spot and decided to let it go and just get the new tyre. But I won't be using that dealer again, and I've told many friends & acquantances about it.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

cjb_ie wrote: »

I know a few Nigerians that ship containers home, a few people chip in and fill it up. Yes they are big, those ones you see down the docks. Usually filled with cars which are filled with car parts or personal items.
    I just got back from Nigeria myself and the place is full of Hiluxs'.(even some fake ones called 'Tayota')
    If he's handing over cash and he takes the car, I can't see the problem. Is it because he mentioned Nigeria that put you off?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cjb_ie

I know a few Nigerians that ship containers home, a few people chip in and fill it up. Yes they are big, those ones you see down the docks. Usually filled with cars which are filled with car parts or personal items.
    Cool... what kind of containers are we talking though? Like, a 40ft container wouldn't even fit three Hiluxes if you parked them nose to tail.
    I just got back from Nigeria myself and the place is full of Hiluxs'.(even some fake ones called 'Tayota')
    If he's handing over cash and he takes the car, I can't see the problem. Is it because he mentioned Nigeria that put you off?
    If anything Nigeria made it seem more plausible, it was more his manner. Anyway, I reckon I'll hang on to it, put a couple hundred in parts into it, get it tested and then get a better price for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

01' Audi A4 "Facelift"

http://pistonheads.com/sales/2445565.htm

Long story short, a 04'-08' with the plates from a 01' A4

2445565-3.jpg

Result from the DVLA Vehicle Enquiry page:
    The enquiry is complete
    The vehicle details for Y795 ANP are:

Date of Liability 01 02 2011
    Date of First Registration 30 05 2001
    Year of Manufacture 2001
    Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1896CC
    CO2 Emissions 151g/Km
    Fuel Type Heavy Oil
    Export Marker Not Applicable
    Vehicle Status Licence Due to Expire
    Vehicle Colour BLACK
    Vehicle Type Approval M1
    Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) Marker VIC required
    A Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) marker has been set against this vehicle record

I reported it to Admin , so interesting to see if the ad stays up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

That has to be incorrect. I thought a 95 registration meant it was registered in the second half (or whatever) of 2005, and I thought custom plates couldn't make a car look younger, only older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Hey guys,
    Totally clueless about cars here, but looking to trade mine in for something diesel. I'm not in any huge hurry, but I was looking around autotrader.ie this evening and noticed a very large number of cars (as in, 100+), of all types, fairly new years, for sale at LOW prices!!! As in, 5,900eur for an 09 Golf GTi, with 30,000 miles on it.
    Like I said, I'm no expert, but that rings alarm bells. It's too good to be true. It said to copy the link "vwgolf.traders.co.uk." into the browser to find out more. That link didn't work. So I'm just wondering does anyone know what that's about? It's claiming to be a dealer based in Antrim, but honestly, I have my doubts, especially since when you go into the as it says "private".....but still, they must be something because there's a huge selection of cars, of all different makes.
    I'm not sure if this is the place for this post?? I ask because I'm wondering does anyone know if this is some sort of weird scam? I won't be buying from them, but I'd like to know if they're just too good to be true, or if it's realistic....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

-Chris- wrote: »
    That has to be incorrect. I thought a 95 registration meant it was registered in the second half (or whatever) of 2005, and I thought custom plates couldn't make a car look younger, only older.
    It's an old-style registration. A '2005' car would either be xx05 or xx55.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

-Chris- wrote: »

As Esel said it would have to be a 05 or 55 to be a 2005 or pre March 06 car

Y reg were the last of the letter reg's before they switched to a 51 plate

The ad has been withdrawn now too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

Hi lads,

I have my 320ci up for sale on carzone.
    Just got an email asking is it still available etc
    Sent him one back saying yes with price etc.

He sent back the following.
    It smells fishy to me. Anyone seen anything similar ??

Hello, Thanks for your swift response ..Am Okay with the last asking price.....I would have love to come over to your location to view the item but i can not come at the moment due to the nature of my work as present. I have about two of my clients who has interest in the item one of them had responded very positively and and he's ready to send payment .I have added my Commission and Shipping charges to your asking price, Any amount that is above your asking price on the payment would be transfer to me for the shipping charges and my commission.I understand that the payment will clear first before arranging for the pick-up and shipment of the item .kindly provide me with the following details as below so that i will instruct my client to mailed the payment to you and i will also forward your address to the shipping firm, so as to contact you for the shipment as soon as the payment clears from your bank..

PAYMENT INFORMATION:
    1). Your Full Name........which you want on the Bank draft?
    (2).. Your Full Address........where the Bank draft will be send to?
    city..................
    state code................
    (3).. Your Mobile & Home Phone#.....so to ring you on should be in case i don't access my computer?

As soon as i receive this details, i will ensure that you receive payment in 2-3 working days. I want you to understand that any profit i make from this transaction is how i use to earn a living.
    regards

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fivestar

now what do you think yourself??... I got one like that from Nigeria a while back, turned out to be a scam, I was shocked... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

Thanks for the reply :rolleyes:
    Very insightfull

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

will1977 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply :rolleyes:
    Very insightfull

No need for the rolleyes; it's clearly a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Mark#1 wrote: »
    I left a slow puncture in to be repaired. Good tread on the tyre - certainly not unsafe or out of tolerance, and no major damage anywhere. When I phoned to ask if it was ready to collect, I was told it was too badly damaged on the sidewall to repair, and I'd need a new tyre. I asked on the phone if I could see the tyre. When I got there, there was a 3" - 4" tear in the sidewall - new, clean exposed black rubber. I use power tools regularly, and I firmly believe this damage was caused by either a drill or a grinder, and not by kerb-damage. I weighed up my options on the spot and decided to let it go and just get the new tyre. But I won't be using that dealer again, and I've told many friends & acquantances about it.
    You haven't told us the name of the place?

TBH I would refuse to pay unless it was an emergency and I had to get somewhere. Even then I'd take a photo of the newly wrecked tyre and tell them that I'd be opening a criminal complaint (which might be enough to convince them to put a new tyre on for free).
    Maybe it's a good idea to take photos of the tyres before bringing it in, so that you have more comeback later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

zynaps wrote: »
    You haven't told us the name of the place?

TBH I would refuse to pay unless it was an emergency and I had to get somewhere. Even then I'd take a photo of the newly wrecked tyre and tell them that I'd be opening a criminal complaint (which might be enough to convince them to put a new tyre on for free).
    Maybe it's a good idea to take photos of the tyres before bringing it in, so that you have more comeback later.

It is sad that some businesses do this.

Once, back 1999 or so, I had 4 new tyres put on my car (they were needed). Anyway from the waiting room I could see the fitter guy walking under my car trying to put a hole in the exhaust with a screwdriver... this car was 1 year old!

I complained - got them to remove the new tyres and refit my old ones.. went 500 yards to Kwik Fit and bought 4 tyres there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

will1977 wrote: »
    Hi lads,

I have my 320ci up for sale on carzone.
    Just got an email asking is it still available etc
    Sent him one back saying yes with price etc.

He sent back the following.
    It smells fishy to me. Anyone seen anything similar ??

Hello, Thanks for your swift response ..Am Okay with the last asking price.....I would have love to come over to your location to view the item but i can not come at the moment due to the nature of my work as present. I have about two of my clients who has interest in the item one of them had responded very positively and and he's ready to send payment .I have added my Commission and Shipping charges to your asking price, Any amount that is above your asking price on the payment would be transfer to me for the shipping charges and my commission.I understand that the payment will clear first before arranging for the pick-up and shipment of the item .kindly provide me with the following details as below so that i will instruct my client to mailed the payment to you and i will also forward your address to the shipping firm, so as to contact you for the shipment as soon as the payment clears from your bank..

PAYMENT INFORMATION:
    1). Your Full Name........which you want on the Bank draft?
    (2).. Your Full Address........where the Bank draft will be send to?
    city..................
    state code................
    (3).. Your Mobile & Home Phone#.....so to ring you on should be in case i don't access my computer?

As soon as i receive this details, i will ensure that you receive payment in 2-3 working days. I want you to understand that any profit i make from this transaction is how i use to earn a living.
    regards
    You get a bank draft in the post for a thousand Euro above your asking price. You lodge it in your bank account and it 'clears' the next day. The buyer asks you to wire him the extra one thousand to cover his profit and the shipping. You do this only to be told by your bank three weeks later that the original bank draft was a fake and you've got an unexpected one thousand Euro overdraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CeannComhairle

Like some posters... I'm a bit clueless about selling cars, but selling one on behalf of a bereaved family member at the moment.

Thing is... my situation is the REVERSE of the usual scam scenario, as in I'mselling the car. Have been contacted by a fella claiming to be in the UK, wanting to pay by paypal, has an agent to pick it up etc etc..

It all sounded suspect but I have insisted money is only paid via bank transfer to my account. Providing it goes through, then presume it's ok to arrange pick up with 'agent' (i.e. beside a police station!)? It can't be a scam if the money goes through, can it? No addresses/personal data given out, just bank a/c & sort code (which is obviously necessary).

Tell me I'm not being an idiot! Although I'm sure some of you will

It is a scam, and the 'buyer' will not agree to do a bank transfer. Even if they do, it will still be a scam.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6 shotgun

The ridiculous low price meant it had to be a scam - very convincing though - the reg even checks oout on motortax.ie!

"Nicole" also has a BMW X5 on a Irish and Scottish site

Hi again,

Registration Number: 08D39483
    Chassis Number: YV1CZ714681471178

I already obtain the costs for delivery the car to your location. Its are €340, including insurance, so your total will be €6,740.
    I want to point out that because I am in the process of moving because of changing my working place, I am after a fast transaction, with no delays. That is why I decided to lower the price, to avoid wasting time with negotiations and find a buyer as soon as possible.

As I told you , I'm currently in Germany. At the moment I'm in Munich on business and the vehicle is located at the shipping company in Hamburg.

The car will be insured at the shipping company for the transport. I already have it on shipping co. possession along with ALL doc ready to GO so will be no local pick up available.

I am German, not Irish (I just worked there for few months), and I have an account with eBay.de. I don't know if eBay.ie has this kind of service as eBay has different services from country to country. Anyway our transaction will be done through my account on eBay.de

This is basically how the transaction through eBay works:

Firstly I need your contact details (eBay user name, complete name and the address for shipping) so I can open a case with eBay regarding our transaction, they will contact you and send you the documents for our transaction (Case ID, and Invoice).

You will have to lodge the payment into an eBay account and they will keep your payment until you receive the car (so your payment will be secure until you receive and inspect the car).

When the car will be delivered to your door, you will have 15 days to check the car (test it, drive it,and even take it to a local service station..etc) so you can see that everything is ok with it. If the car doesn't match with what I told you,it will be shipped back to me on my own expense (however I doubt that this shall be the case because the car is exactly how I described it to you) and you will be refunded your total payment.

If you are totally content with the car and that you want to continue with the purchase You will have to notify eBay. Once you have made this decision, only then the payment will be transferred into my account.

Remember they have absolutely no authority to release the payment until they get your full approval.

I hope I explained everything to you ok. After we complete all these above steps I can only hope that you should be fully satisfied as the new owner of my car.

I'm waiting to receive your contact details so I can open a case with eBay ASAP.
    Kind regards, Nicole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

I am German, not Irish (I just worked there for few months), and I have an account with eBay.de. I don't know if eBay.ie has this kind of service as eBay has different services from country to country. Anyway our transaction will be done through my account on eBay.de

This is basically how the transaction through eBay works:

Firstly I need your contact details (eBay user name, complete name and the address for shipping) so I can open a case with eBay regarding our transaction, they will contact you and send you the documents for our transaction (Case ID, and Invoice).

You will have to lodge the payment into an eBay account and they will keep your payment until you receive the car (so your payment will be secure until you receive and inspect the car).

When the car will be delivered to your door, you will have 15 days to check the car (test it, drive it,and even take it to a local service station..etc) so you can see that everything is ok with it. If the car doesn't match with what I told you,it will be shipped back to me on my own expense (however I doubt that this shall be the case because the car is exactly how I described it to you) and you will be refunded your total payment.

If you are totally content with the car and that you want to continue with the purchase You will have to notify eBay. Once you have made this decision, only then the payment will be transferred into my account.

Remember they have absolutely no authority to release the payment until they get your full approval.

100% scam.

Ebay do not hold any cars for anyone. Period.

I posted a few pages back a similar scam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Esel wrote: »
    It is a scam, and the 'buyer' will not agree to do a bank transfer. Even if they do, it will still be a scam.

How is it still a scam if they transfer the money into his account??? :confused:

How is it still a scam if they transfer the money into his account??? :confused:
    It is a scam based on this:
    ..a fella claiming to be in the UK, wanting to pay by paypal, has an agent to pick it up etc etc..
    So, if this obvious scammer agrees to transfer money to a bank a/c, they will be doing it in some fraudulent way. I agree that having money lodged to a bank a/c by a genuine purchaser is safe, btw.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Esel wrote: »
    It is a scam based on this:So, if this obvious scammer agrees to transfer money to a bank a/c, they will be doing it in some fraudulent way. I agree that having money lodged to a bank a/c by a genuine purchaser is safe, btw.

How can you transfer money into a bank account fraudulently? I'm aware of the international payment process ;).

Just because it is similar to many scams doesn't automatically make it one. I have stated that it is or is not a scam but just questioning your reasons for being so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

How can you transfer money into a bank account fraudulently? I'm aware of the international payment process ;).

Just because it is similar to many scams doesn't automatically make it one. I have stated that it is or is not a scam but just questioning your reasons for being so sure.

The money in his paypal account was gotten from a stolen credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

I've heard of some cases that go like this:
    1. You're selling a car for €1000.
    2. Scammer agrees to buy car and asks for your bank details.
    3. Scammer puts ad for non-existent expensive item (e.g. brand new Macbook Pro) on eBay as a buy-it-now, for the knock-down price of €1000.
    4. Scammer provides your bank details to the "winner" of the eBay item.
    5. Winner transfers €1000 into your account and you hand over the car to the scammer.
    6. The winner contacts eBay and your bank after two weeks, looking for their new Macbook Pro which never showed up even though they paid you.
    7. You return the money since it was fraudulently obtained, even though it wasn't your fault.
    Not sure how easy this is or how common, but ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

A friend of mine has had a query from holland about a car he is selling Dutch guy says he will come over and collect the car and arrange for a wire of money into the AIB a/c of my mate once we provide the Iban number and that he will arrange to have it in the account before he takes the car I'm weary the car is worth €17k and the buyer has agreed to that amount the guy seems "sound" and as far as he is aware my mate is collecting him at the airport next week to come and take the car.

Any thoughts .... ?

I'm actually more than weary I'm panicked over this it could just be a case like the one above as soon as he mentioned Holland I said ignore but my friends a bit 'gung ho'.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Any thoughts .... ?
    Have you read any of this thread?
    Its a thoroughbred scam!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

kbannon wrote: »
    Have you read any of this thread?
    Its a thoroughbred scam!

I thought so but he won't listen to me I've read from page 62 to the end and most of the examples are different to this - this guy is coming to my friends house!

what do you think will happen ? he comes over for car wires money into the account whilst here he takes car and the money is not actual money?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If thats' the case then the dutch buyer will arrive, wire the (not real) money into your friend's account, take the car and leave. A few days later, the wire will bounce and your friend will wonder why they were stupid enough to not listen to your advice.

The only acceptable two payment methods IMO are cash (but there's a potential risk of a follow up burglary) and in-bank transfer. Nothing else is good enough, not draft, not online transfer, not western Union from the Prince of Nigeria, not IOU, etc. If the buyer refuses to do one or other of these then tell them to FO.

Advertisement