Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mrsdoey wrote: »
    Ok, so now I have been sent another long winded e-mail about using a process called Yahoo! Wallet? And been sent pics along with the cars VIN Number?? How did they get that?
    So what can I say to let him know I'm on to the scam, I am kinda thinking that if they are so good at this scam they can't trace who I am can they??
    Tbh, I would just report the ad on whatever website you saw it. Telling the guy you know it's a scam won't have any effect on them, and won't protect the next punter who might fall for it. I wouldn't worry about any comeback if you do tell them you're on to them. They have hundreds of these scams on the go, and won't give you a second thought.

If you are reporting them, I wouldn't tell them you are, though.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Rega

I just got a text related to my ad on autotrader from someone called Ahmad Shauq.

Says "I'm interested in your car listed on autotrader.ie, please tell me the present condition of the car to my personal email: johnsonsmith02@hotmail.com"

Anyone else heard from this guy?

I googled the email address and variants of it appeared on these sites of untrusted email addresses:

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Untrusted-Email-Address/LandingPage
    http://www.419scam.org/419-bl-j.htm

If anyone has had any dealings let me know what happened.

p.s. Just noticed that the text to my phone didn't have a phone number to reply to. Where the number normally appears when I get a text is the name "ahmad.shauq". I can't reply to the text.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ............
    I'm not contacting this guy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Johnson has emailed me 3 times already...
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

theses are definite scams:

Pat Harte

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1777388

Here some information on the scam on other forums:
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=93957&page=6

Maeve Hugh

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1768594

same ad with different number

http://www.carfinder.ie/audi_a3_1_6_petrol_sport_line-o9926-en.html

I emailed DoneDeal warning as a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Is this a scam?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Megane/1.5-DCI/201051200627420/advert?channel=CARS

Seems far too cheap for a new model Megane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mrsdoey

PWEI wrote: »
    Is this a scam?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Megane/1.5-DCI/201051200627420/advert?channel=CARS

Seems far too cheap for a new model Megane.

Probably, A: did u ring the number? If its a dud, u will likely get no answer or it'll ring out.
    B: send an e-mail, if u get back a long winded drawn out answer with info that you didn't even ask for about how and why they selling, then yea its probably a scam!!!
    C: two owners in barely two years? What's wrong with it LOL :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

KamiKazi wrote: »
    What's the scam? That some people haven't received their free gauge yet? :rolleyes:

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭analfabets

This guy states that there is only 50000 miles on the car and only 2 owners. And it needs only front pads to pass NCT

History report is a lot different.
    2ludqg6.jpg

Full?id=4733878

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Could the difference in the number of owners be down to change of addresses? It seems sttrange for one car to have seven owners in a decade.
    However, my 03 525i is about to cross the 25,000 km mark so don't always assume that low mileage isn't always genuine (mine has been checked by BMW and I have the entire service history).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭analfabets

kbannon wrote: »
    Could the difference in the number of owners be down to change of addresses? It seems sttrange for one car to have seven owners in a decade.
    However, my 03 525i is about to cross the 25,000 km mark so don't always assume that low mileage isn't always genuine (mine has been checked by BMW and I have the entire service history).

Don't know. If it's only brake pads then why won' t he go for re-test. 7 owners in 10 years isn't so unusual I was looking at 525Msport in summer that had 9 previous owners on logbook. Also my 99' Saab Griffin went to it's 8th owner last summer. Don't know, maybe i'm too suspicious. I lost 4500€ once because of trusting somebody I don't know (it was well known motor scam couple of years later). Since then I tend to imagine worst case scenario before purchasing car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭eosirl08.

is the scam with the foreign dudes ringing up still going? saying they have a buyer for your car and all you need to do is give them your credit card details (for some reason). I havent heard of it happening in a while just wondering is it still going?

^ Hasn't been mentioned here for a while - maybe punters are getting smarter? Can't see any reason for them to have stopped though. After all, there's one born every minute....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

This number of owners thing, i bought an 03 Focus last Nov (2009) and it had 6 prev owners, had it fully checked out by a mechanic and it was deemed sound.

Been driving it for 14 months now, not a bother out of it, runs great, awesome on fuel, touch wood

^ Wrong thread, though....

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 L37fc

Hi my brother inlaw is selling hi 99 Peugeot 406 on another website & he got a email from this person claiming to be in Scotland wanting to buy his car when my brother inlaw told him to phone him he said in the email. you can see below scotland seem a long way to travel to buy a car. He did not mention money yet.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Without even bothering to read the attachments, someone in Scotland who has access to loads of lovely cars accross the UK isn't going to want something that grew up in Ireland.
    Scam!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 spray_ball

>>someone in Scotland who has access to loads of lovely cars across the UK isn't going to want something that grew up in Ireland.

not quite true.... I’m in Scotland and look daily on both uk and Irish web sites (hence me being on boards.ie!)... if I ever see the right vehicle I'll be over like a shot!! (Dublin is actually nearer to me than my folks in the midlands!!!)

though saying that you can pick up a 99 406 pug with SH for around £600 (700euro??) so yeah I agree with kbannon.... SCAM!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 alexossi79

The price is €3350
    Petrol 2/3 doors, manual transmission, black.
    Mileage : 63,000, NCT 03/2011, ABS Brakes, Airbags, Alloys, Car Alarm, CD / Radio, Colour Coded Bumpers, Electric Mirrors, Electric Windows, Front Fog Lamps, Full Service History, Immobiliser, Lady Owner, Leather Interior, Metallic Paint, Power Steering, Remote Central Locking, Sports Suspension, Sunroof
    Excellent Condition, the car was kept in a garage , it has Audi service book,the tires have been changed recently, and doesn't need repairings.It has no engine problem, no scratches.
    Registered in Ireland .The car is at the moment in Liverpool, UK.
    I live in the USA, I bought the car for my sister who lived in Ireland and then moved to UK. Unfortunately she died recently and I cannot take the car with me.
    You do not have to pay any taxes for this car. It is very easy to register it to your name .
    I have all the documents ready for sale. The car documents are on my name, so it is very simple.
    As payment I only accept cash and we will have to meet in Liverpool for the sale.

Thank you and I hope you will decide to buy my car.
    Here are some photos.

Many thanks,Maeve

Be aware !!! Talkin s...t about dead family , USA ,Liverpool , Western Union and all different lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

seems strange that all those car scams take you to liverpool, lawl

i was looking at underpriced tractor on gumtree, so i contacted him, same story, meet me in liverpool with cash...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 marcanthony1

Hi

Is anyone familiar or have dealt with UKDirect.ie ? They give an Irish phone num... I see they have some good cars advertised from UK.

Thank You M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

^ They look dodgy, alright.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 24 spray_ball

ahhh! if only this one was real..

http://www.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/campers/1836582

.. but if it looks too good to be true..... etc

[edit]Now removed from DD - was an 05 lwb t5 transporter campervan fully loaded for E6k!![/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RossDonegan

My friend got scammed out of his Skyline :(

Thread here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056158575

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cjb_ie

A guy passed my house yesterday, saw my old banger of a Hilux parked outside, got my phone number from one of my housemates who was in at the time and called me.

He's offering €1200 cash (he's very specific about paying cash). Says he doesn't care about DOE, tax etc as it's for export to Nigeria.

Thoughts?

Maybe he saw the top gear ep with hilux being trashed and still surviving all that rumble. lawl.

What year is the hilux? In my opinion cash is safe as long its real.
    cjb_ie wrote: »
    A guy passed my house yesterday, saw my old banger of a Hilux parked outside, got my phone number from one of my housemates who was in at the time and called me.

He's offering €1200 cash (he's very specific about paying cash). Says he doesn't care about DOE, tax etc as it's for export to Nigeria.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cjb_ie

voojeq wrote: »
    Maybe he saw the top gear ep with hilux being trashed and still surviving all that rumble. lawl.
    Funnily enough, that was what inspired me to buy it in the first place... :)
    voojeq wrote: »
    What year is the hilux? In my opinion cash is safe as long its real.
    1991, needs about €300 in parts to pass DOE.

Donedeal has a 1986 one for €2400 that "needs work" and a 1995 for €2500 with DOE cert, so either he's being very optimistic, or those sellers are...

• Advertisement

Well hes not offering you more than usual, and i would guess that he offers less cause he wants to ship it to nigeria and that will cost him.

Also i dont think that he would like to show his face or give you his details if your were going to be scammed.

omg, Is this first genuine nigerian buyer or am i mistaken? Oo

cjb_ie wrote: »
    Funnily enough, that was what inspired me to buy it in the first place... :)

1991, needs about €300 in parts to pass DOE.

Donedeal has a 1986 one for €2400 that "needs work" and a 1995 for €2500 with DOE cert, so either he's being very optimistic, or those sellers are...

Advertisement