Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

This chancer seems to be reluctanlty selling a car that has been in the same family since new. Much regrettable sale...
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2136879

Oh, look, here he's selling/sold another one thats been in the same family (cached on google)
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:wjfKrSYNjEIJ:www.carzone.ie/search/Nissan/Micra/1.2-VISI/201106201155986/advert%3Fchannel%3DCARS+085-8211326&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie&source=www.google.ie

Unlikely. I wonder what else is BS about the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Was shopping on DD earlier and came across this ad.

Knew it was too good to be true but sent the email anyway. Below is the reply I got. My response "You must think I'm a ****ing idiot!".

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in my BMW 320 Diesel - 2004 (56.000 mls). The total price of the car is ?3,500.

The car is in a very good condition. It has no technical or mechanical problems. It has no scratches or dents on the paintwork.

This is a Irish car with all taxes paid and all the papers prepared for sale. It has the title of ownership, cleared of any obligations or fees and comes with all the documents you need to register it on your name, Tax and Nct till Apr 2012. I bought the car from Ireland when I worked there as a police officer in an exchange program. I moved back to London (my place) and I didn't had time to sell the car before leaving Ireland. In this moment the car is located in London, UK.

If you are interested to buy my car, we will have a safe and smooth transaction for both of us.

I wait your reply if you are interested to get more details.

Eric

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Let's have some fun with this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Just reported it as a scam there. In fairness you would think they would at least figure out a more believable email written in correct English :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Oh no i've ruined it have I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

JustLen wrote: »
    Just reported it as a scam there. In fairness you would think they would at least figure out a more believable email written in correct English :rolleyes:

Reported myself too.

I can't believe these scam artists still think this type of crap works.

First email sent:

Hi, interested in your BMW. Am unable to come see it until next monday as I'm on business in London till then. Is there any faults on the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

You should ask where it's parked while you're on your business jaunt

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭IrishB.ie

kkelly77 wrote: »
    Was shopping on DD earlier and came across this ad.

Knew it was too good to be true but sent the email anyway. Below is the reply I got. My response "You must think I'm a ****ing idiot!".

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in my BMW 320 Diesel - 2004 (56.000 mls). The total price of the car is ?3,500.

The car is in a very good condition. It has no technical or mechanical problems. It has no scratches or dents on the paintwork.

This is a Irish car with all taxes paid and all the papers prepared for sale. It has the title of ownership, cleared of any obligations or fees and comes with all the documents you need to register it on your name, Tax and Nct till Apr 2012. I bought the car from Ireland when I worked there as a police officer in an exchange program. I moved back to London (my place) and I didn't had time to sell the car before leaving Ireland. In this moment the car is located in London, UK.

If you are interested to buy my car, we will have a safe and smooth transaction for both of us.

I wait your reply if you are interested to get more details.

Eric

You could also send him a PM thru his ad on Adverts.ie :rolleyes:

• Company Representative Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭Adverts.ie: Eddie

IrishB.ie wrote: »
    Not any more ;)

Thanks guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

IrishB.ie wrote: »

That Adverts crowd are on the ball!!!!:D

Fairplay Eddie..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,329 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Seems legit :P

• Registered Users Posts: 42 TheDudeIsHere

Lol what a scammer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Buffman

Somebody is on the ball in donedeal aswell.
    Warning: "bmw 320 diesel"

It has come to our attention that the ad "bmw 320 diesel" may not be a genuine ad or may use DoneDeal to offer goods or services which are not in accordance with our policies and rules.
    We would advise that you stop all interaction with this person unless you are satisfied from your own inquiries that you are happy continuing to interact with them.
    Please read our Safety Guide for information about how to stay safe while using our web site.
    We may review this ad again in the future. If we find that the ad is in fact genuine we will update this page. If you are not sure about the status of this ad, please check back on this page.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Got an email off donedeal there to warn me.

On the ball is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Hi Guys,

A mate a mine is trying to sell his car at the moment. He got a mail back from a potential buyer yesterday enquiring about the condition, the price and availablity of car. My mate then mailed the potential buyer back to fill him in on the details. He then gets the below back in response.
    'Hi thanks for mailing back,am ok with the price and the condition, am buying it for my vacation, because i'll be coming soon from our ship as am a marine engineer on sea, i won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my work, i would have love to call in person but we have call restriction due to bad weather condition. I will be paying you through PayPal, pls get back to me with your PayPal details so i can proceed with the payment and contact the courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in my place. Await your reply.
    Harry

Seems very dodgy to me!!! Is this a scam?....and if so what angle are they using. I've never seen one using the paypal angle before. He's certainly using the kind of dialogue I've seen in previous scams.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Yes, yes it is

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Yes - scamtastic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Due to the nature of his work, why would he need the car......?

If he's getting it for someone else, then they could check it out.

I deffo don't trust it. Sounds like my favourite penpal, the Nigerian Prince.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

No, definitely not a scam. Seems totally legit. You should bite his hands off. Then ask him about reinvesting the money in his other businesses. A shrewd guy - Harry seems to be the stuff Nigerian Princes are made of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Defo ask for a €2,000 euro deposit bank draft first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

A scam i recently read about is where one person asks for paypal details of someone their buying a car off. That person then puts something that doesn't exist up on ebay for sale but uses the paypal info of the first person. Someone buys the ebay thing and it never arrives. The person selling the car gets the money in their account and hands over the car. A few week's later the ebay buyer hasn't recieved their item and a sh!t storm ensues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Quandary

Yup its a scam alright

I've been stringing along one of these scammers for the last month. Just for the hell of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

lol.....thanks for the responses guys.

@lucyfur09 i've never heard of that angle before but thanks a mill for filling me in! These scammers become more and more hilarious by the day!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Advertised a car recently and got basically the same mail. Kept stringing him along for a few weeks. Told him I was moving to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch in Wales and he would have to collect the car there, he seemed ok with travelling to collect! :pac: :D

Don't suppose his name was Harry Johnston?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

There's also a method of contacting PayPal claiming the transaction was unauthorised and having the funds refunded to the other party, while you've relinquished the item for sale.

See here.

Usually any transaction that involves a boat, an off-the-wall profession, a crazy back-story, poor English and unusual methods of payment... are scams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Acidflash wrote: »
    Advertised a car recently and got basically the same mail. Kept stringing him along for a few weeks. Told him I was moving to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch in Wales and he would have to collect the car there, he seemed ok with travelling to collect! :pac: :D
    Quandary wrote: »
    Yup its a scam alright

I've been stringing along one of these scammers for the last month. Just for the hell of it.

http://www.419eater.com :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭target assassin

i got this today, im not going near it

Thanks for the swift response,i really understand the content of your email and i just need to know that the engine is in a good condition"Moreover,the interior and exterior being in a perfect,i will make the offer of €1,000 as per your asking price and am located in Manchester i will have every defects of the auto-mobile repaired if necessarily replaced before it is finally ready for use,i will not be unable to come for the inspection my self as i am presently out of state on a business obligation i just came across the advert while surfing the internet.Anyway concerning the payment & pick up i will have to consult my shipper who will be responsible for the pick up and i will mail you the cheque of €3,500 okay"You will have the cost of the CAR €1,000 deducted and transfer the excess funds on the cheque to the shipper who will be come for the pick up at your location & i will wait for the cheque to cleared before the pick up.i will kindly want you to provide me with the following information to issue the payment:

Full Name:
    Mailing Address:
    Phone Number:

I will be looking forward to hearing from you asap.Thank you for your kind gesture.
    My Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,329 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Awh man all the nigerian generals are gonna be so upset that they're not getting a new car...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Definitely a scam, I even read it in a Nigerian accent. A marine engineer breaks up his sentences.

Advertisement