Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The scam thread ..all motors scams in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That ad is also up on carzone. This might give it away too:

Call Baldovino Ornelas on 0140958965

:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I think this one is more at home here!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you google the name and phone number a result comes up for a now non-existant ad for the same car in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jonny_b1

Hi,
    Can anyone shed some light on how this guy aims to scam me?

Thanks

"Thanks for you mail...Am okay with the price,how i wish to come and view this car but am out of United Kingdom now and i will like to see more picture of the car.... i am a marine engineer,am in a ship right now at Bermuda. I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping, my shipping company will be responsible for the pick up. Kindly provide me your name and full address so i can forward it to the shipping company to calculate the cost of pick up for me and also include the amount of the car. Do get back to me as soon as possible so that i can proceed with the payment via PayPal. i will have my shipper's company to come over as soon as you have the Payment...I will need you to provide me with the following information:

Your Full Name And Address To calculate the pick up fee
    Your PayPal Email Address For the payment.

If you don't have paypal account ,paypal is very easy and much More Secure that is why i like to deal through paypal so what you need to do now is to just visit www.paypal.com and set up one account then get back to me with the Full Name and e-mail address that you have use for the registration and i will transfer the fund immediately thanks....."

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

Hi,

I'd suggest that we will drop you a spoof email claiming to be from paypal. This email will contain confirmation that the requested amount has been sent to your paypal account. Please check your pp acc for payment, email is not enough to confirm!

Do not deal with this person. Cash can also be reverted from your paypal account thats why paypal is "safe" cause you can revert the payment if you feel that the item or listing you bidded on may be fraudelent.

You'd think ah paypal that must be safe then, no checks etc. I would think the same, but as soon as he mentioned being a marine, that rings the bell all right.

The risk is too high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Just heard of this scam and saved someone's bacon!!:

Its an Irish registered 2006 320d car for sale in Spain, listed @ €6,300, yes alarm bells ring straight away, but this time seller insists its not a scam :rolleyes: and it is in safe storage with the spanish "donedeal" equivalent to camouflage the scam: http://www.segundamano.es/ and also avoiding the dreaded term "PayPal"

This is the invoice received, looks very good!

135210.jpg

The spanish seller emailed this unnamed person the following statement about the car where the seller tried to explain that the car is now with a 3rd party (Segundamano) and he must pay them to release the car:
    I [seller] signed a contract with segundamano and before the contract was signed they inspected the car's technical state and also it's documents. Now, a part of the contract says that the Seller must leave the car in the 3rd party's custody until the car is sold. So, the car is with sengundamano at their HQ in Barcelona.

By now I was very curious, I looked at the header of the pro-forma invoice and its from this website :

www.safetycentre-department.com.

But googling the link gets you this:

http://www.google.ie/search?q=.safetycentre-department.com&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

SCAM, SCAM

Edit; I also did some googling on the landline/fax number. Basterds are using those short-term rental ones that use a proper number but with the rented extension numbers being diverted to a mobile anywhere in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

On the journey over from Stoke the car lost 20,000 miles :eek:

stoke, UK
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201040369995159/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/is/make/lexus/page/1/radius/1500/keywords/is%20f%202008/postcode/sw1a1aa?logcode=p

Wexford, Ireland
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Lexus/IS-F/***-VIP-/201044200132839/advert?channel=CARS

Happy now that I didn't waste my time taking a test drive to discover this later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

davidoco wrote: »

Could the pics just have been copied by the lazy Irish dealer?

Then again, expensive machine, so they should have taken their own pics.

Did you get the cars UK/IRL registration number (s)?

Edit:

Its being (was) sold by Stoke-Lexus:

http://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/dealers/stoke-on-trent/lexus-stoke/601128327-1607044.aspx?srcmdc=se_de_re_

The UK reg is DN08VFP, advertised with that 30k miles

Edit 2:

I re-read the Carzone details, ad states "Full Lexus Service History". Im sure that 11k is a typo as a full dealer history (and a history check) is a must with a car like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 keanesme

Sold a car recently on carzone. Removed add..all ok, as I thought. Three weeks later my add appears again with different mileage, price (silly price) and minus my contact numbers. I know who has the car now and it is not advertised by them. Somebody is using my add with another e-mail address. Any thoughts, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

There should be an option to report the advert, but it's not really your problem any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭analfabets

Here is another one.

I asked him if there is anything wrong with car and this is his response.

Hi there,

The car is in good condition, no technical damage, never involved in a crush. It has been regularly maintained. It runs like brand new with no issues. The exterior is in excellent condition, tires are in good shape, brakes work well. There are no known problems with the car as far as I know.
    I've arrived in Ireland 2 months ago for a job practice. I had finished my work here so I had to return back home to Helsinki, Finland that`s why I was forced to leave the car along with all it`s documentation and more(Full Service History,log book,mot certificate ,2 sets of keys)in the UK.It s under UK REG.

My best price is 2100 euros including shipping and delivery taxes to your address.
    If you are decided we are going to have a safe deal.

Please get back to me to explain you more.I'm waiting for your reply as soon as possible.

Thanks in a mill!

SCAM!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dunlucewarlock

I clicked the email dealer link to make an inquiry to a relatively cheap car considering it was a 2006 reg. I asked for clarification of the price and I got this which I think I should share with you all:

Hello,
    I still got the car for sale. The car is in excellent condition, garage kept and accident free. The mileage is real and I never had any problems with the engine. The car looks and works just perfect. We live in the Southern part of United Kingdom, .....

An obvoius scam not to mention to terrible grammer which provided me with some light relief from the stress of work as I took great pleasure in venting a tirade of abuse towards them.

I was particularly pleased with my sign off, "I hope you die of AIDS, c**t!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

Contacted a seller of a 2008 BMW from Carzone over the last few days

Price seemed too good to be true. He told me he was in Spain now and the car would have to be shipped back.

Told me eBay motors Spain were handling the sale and that they would send me an email on how to proceed with the transaction. Didnt receive the email (blocked at ISP level i think as it wasnt in my junk mail). Then received a few phonecalls from a chap in Spain saying he was from eBay Motors Spain.

He called me and then supplied a number to call if I didnt get the email. Was obviously very suspicious at this stage and called the number which didnt seem to be ebay at all.

Was pretty sure it was a scam from the get go but was hoping it wasnt as I loved the car and price! Then I did a search on the web and got a flood of eBay Motors scam hits...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Another one here, Honda CR-V, same story, car priced ridiculously low (8k cheaper than the cheapest I've seen), seller in Spain, ebay, yada yada.

Pictures look stolen from a dealer's website, looks like Gowan Dun Laoghaire.

Oddly they've blocked out the reg on one photo and not the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

lukester wrote: »
    Another one here, Honda CR-V, same story, car priced ridiculously low (8k cheaper than the cheapest I've seen), seller in Spain, ebay, yada yada.

Pictures look stolen from a dealer's website, looks like Gowan Dun Laoghaire.

Oddly they've blocked out the reg on one photo and not the others.

i thought it looked like the car garage at the spar in glenageary also but its not as theres a building in one of the pictures thats not at that roundabout!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

slegs wrote: »
    Contacted a seller of a 2008 BMW from Carzone over the last few days

Price seemed too good to be true. He told me he was in Spain now and the car would have to be shipped back.

Told me eBay motors Spain were handling the sale and that they would send me an email on how to proceed with the transaction. Didnt receive the email (blocked at ISP level i think as it wasnt in my junk mail). Then received a few phonecalls from a chap in Spain saying he was from eBay Motors Spain.

He called me and then supplied a number to call if I didnt get the email. Was obviously very suspicious at this stage and called the number which didnt seem to be ebay at all.

Was pretty sure it was a scam from the get go but was hoping it wasnt as I loved the car and price! Then I did a search on the web and got a flood of eBay Motors scam hits...

Was this an X5 by any chance? I contacted him too if so........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

spyderski wrote: »
    Was this an X5 by any chance? I contacted him too if so........

Nope a 520D with 2008 MN reg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mrsdoey

Thank goodness for Google! I just Googled the name of the guy that sent me an email in reply to this ad I was querying.... ha SCAM SCAM SCAM...KNEW IT WAS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!!!

http://cars.buyandsell.ie/search/wanted/motors/dublin/-/bmw-5-series-20-diesel-2008-7

CAN'T BELIEVE I almost got sucked in, mind you the email response is so long winded...I began to smell rat..
    This was what I received:

Thank you for your interest in my 2008 BMW 520d .
    Sorry for my late reply but i was away from home these days and was not able to login.
    Probably you are asking yourself what is the reason for the low price.
    I
    used to live in Ireland until 1 month ago. Due to the economical
    crisis, the company i was working for went bankrupt and i had to move to
    Malaga, Spain with my family.
    I brought the car with me because i
    love it and i wanted to keep it.I did not think that it would be so
    difficult to drive a right hand drive car here (also the fees to
    register it here are high for my current budget). This is the main
    reason for selling. I tried to sell it to a dealer here and they told me
    that they will not buy it and to try and sell it back in Ireland.
    Instead
    of keeping it in garage (during this economical crisis), I decided to
    sell it to someone back in Ireland for a really attractive price.
    I
    want to sell it back there due to the fact that it's an irish version
    (right handed) and it meets all *Irish standards.I bought this car from
    Ireland and It still has irish registration, so you won't have to pay
    any import and insurance fees.The car meets Ireland`s guidelines so
    there will be no problem regarding Customs policy on receiving the
    car.The car is in perfect condition, the bodywork is immaculate,no
    scratches, dents or hidden defects as well as the interior in excellent
    non-smoking condition , never been implied in any accident and it is as
    advertised. The car comes with log book, HPI cleared, No finance. You
    will get from me the keys and all documents to register the car in your
    name.
    The car will be shipped from Malaga by sea. If the car is not
    how i described it, i will offer a full refund. It will be insured
    during transportation and will be delivered at your address in maximum
    10 days. Final price is EUR 9,800 (the price includes shipping and
    insurance fees).
    I want to take this opportunity to assure you that
    this deal is 100% legitimate,the financial part of this deal will be
    managed by a company that has offices in both Ireland and Spain and this
    way both buyer and seller are 100% covered during the steps of this
    transaction.
    Let me know if you need any further details or if you would like to buy my car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

The phone number for that guy is Tel: 01-458752145 in case anyone Googles it to check it out. He'll be needing a new number if he's going to scam someone else.

• Advertisement

Yeah even I knew by the look of that number something wasn't right actually its too long even for a Dublin number, and the numbers at the end are exactly same as the first two after the 01 code...that is Very rare!! So what are we gonna do about these scammers, people? Can we stop them??!

Actually for that matter who is the poor so-and-so who owns the 08 D 72945 5series BMW? Becci11@eircom.net? Do they know about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

mrsdoey wrote: »
    Actually for that matter who is the poor so-and-so who owns the 08 D 72945 5series BMW? Becci11@eircom.net? Do they know about this?

The pictures have just been robbed off a genuine advert somewhere, but the email address is the scammer's.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mrsdoey wrote: »
    Thank goodness for Google! I just Googled the name of the guy that sent me an email in reply to this ad I was querying.... ha SCAM SCAM SCAM...KNEW IT WAS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!!!

http://cars.buyandsell.ie/search/wanted/motors/dublin/-/bmw-5-series-20-diesel-2008-7

CAN'T BELIEVE I almost got sucked in, mind you the email response is so long winded...I began to smell rat..
    This was what I received:

[Totally obvious typical scam e-mail, bad/stilted language and all]
    Seriously, how did you think for more than 10 seconds that this might be genuine?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Got an email from Carzone, seemed a little more personaly than the usual rubbish so replied without saying much at all, got this back
    Hi thanks for reply, i am a marine engineer, i am at sea right now. I am buying this for my Cousin as a Christmas gift. I can only pay through paypal at the moment as i don't have access to my bank account online(i don't have internet banking with it), but i have it attached to my paypal account, and this is why i insisted on using paypal to pay,all i will need is your paypal email address to make the payments, and if you don't have a paypal account yet, you can set one up at www.paypal.co.uk it cant take you less than 3mins to do that, i will be expecting your paypal email so l can pay. I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been sorted, and also do get back to me with your best offer.

l will be waiting for your reply asap

I thought I'd reply for the sake of it.
    Me wrote:
    what kind of ship are you working on?
    What part of the world?

you see the car is infact in Spain at the moment, I left it there after my last holiday so you'd have to get your man to go there for it, may not have the time to get it back for Christmas.
    Also its down on the log book as a 2 litre, but I swapped the engine out for a 6L V13 engine, that way I pay less tax. If that causes you any problems, let me know.

EDIT: seems the V13 doesn't bother him :D
    Am satisfy with the price and it's condition..the pick-up shipping agent will take care of the Care of the condition of the Car after payment is made...So kindly get back to me with your PayPal details for me to proceed with the Payment and the last final price.I will also like you to get back to me with the Pick-Up Location Address in Spain for me to forward it to the Pick-Up Shipping Company for them to schedule time and date for Pick-Up.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

ye it smells dodgy from the very beginning

on sea, paypal payment, shipping agent blabla

also he doesnt have an idea about cars - v13 engine? oO

not sure if it exists at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

voojeq wrote: »
    ye it smells dodgy from the very beginning

on sea, paypal payment, shipping agent blabla

also he doesnt have an idea about cars - v13 engine? oO

not sure if it exists at all
    Yeah, impossible, unless the engine had 13 cylinders (13 being a prime number anyway). Also, can you imagine someone coming to view your 2L car and not asking a single question when you state that you replaced it with a 6L engine? A marine engineer? :D

Ok, so now I have been sent another long winded e-mail about using a process called Yahoo! Wallet? And been sent pics along with the cars VIN Number?? How did they get that?
    So what can I say to let him know I'm on to the scam, I am kinda thinking that if they are so good at this scam they can't trace who I am can they??

• Advertisement

esel wrote: »
    Seriously, how did you think for more than 10 seconds that this might be genuine?

Um yeah wishful thinking maybe, oops, we have all heard of people selling high end cars cheap for a quid or something ridiculous, just to get back at the spouse they were divorcing....ah I guess it was always at the back of my mind it was well dodgy! Guess anything that sounds too good to be true...eh?

Advertisement