Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭CDizzle

When do we get access to online learning? I take it it's after the medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bearington

Hey guys, first time poster, long time lurker.

Got my medical coming up in a few weeks and working my way through this questionnaire.

I'm probably being a bit thick here, but when they are asking for eyesight conditions are they looking for me to declare things such as shortsightedness, red/green deficiencies, etc or are they just looking for more serious "conditions" such as Glaucoma etc.

Any advice is appreciated, I would really hate to mess up this application over a medical checklist...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 PCDiddley

Bearington wrote: »

Got my medical coming up in a few weeks and working my way through this questionnaire.

I'm probably being a bit thick here, but when they are asking for eyesight conditions are they looking for me to declare things such as shortsightedness, red/green deficiencies, etc or are they just looking for more serious "conditions" such as Glaucoma etc.

Any advice is appreciated, I would really hate to mess up this application over a medical checklist...

Declare anything that makes your eyesight not 100% perfect!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Bearington wrote: »

They'll test your eyesight with and without corrective lenses and also for colourblindness using 2 books so declare everything

• Registered Users Posts: 39 weewheels

Hey guys, had my medical today... Bit gutted to be honest as I passed everything with flying colours bar the hearing test!

My left hearing is a bit weaker than my right hearing however it still met the minimum requirement. The doc wouldn't sign me off as medically fit though as my medical history doesn't suggest why there would be a problem.

I've never had any hearing problems or health problems before (touch wood) but when she examined my ears she recommended that I get them syringed and then take a re-test which should all being well be me sorted.

However, the problem I have is that my GP doesn't do syringing at my surgery and the chances of me getting one in the next 4 weeks is quite slim. Has anyone else been in this situation or could guide me in the right direction as to who to see or where to go?

I was allowed to finish the rest of the assessment and complete substance misuse so they are just waiting on these results coming back.

Any help would be much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MD4PSNI

weewheels wrote: »
    Hey guys, had my medical today... Bit gutted to be honest as I passed everything with flying colours bar the hearing test!

My left hearing is a bit weaker than my right hearing however it still met the minimum requirement. The doc wouldn't sign me off as medically fit though as my medical history doesn't suggest why there would be a problem.

I've never had any hearing problems or health problems before (touch wood) but when she examined my ears she recommended that I get them syringed and then take a re-test which should all being well be me sorted.

However, the problem I have is that my GP doesn't do syringing at my surgery and the chances of me getting one in the next 4 weeks is quite slim. Has anyone else been in this situation or could guide me in the right direction as to who to see or where to go?

I was allowed to finish the rest of the assessment and complete substance misuse so they are just waiting on these results coming back.

Any help would be much appreciated.

You could try minor injuries for the ears buddy. I know alot of new doctors/nurses would prefer drops to syringe but its worth a try.

I unfortunatley was declared unfit at start of month due to BMI. I submitted an appeal and Iv contacted my doctor for an accurate assessment and Im awaiting his appointment.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Perkunas

MD4PSNI wrote: »
    You could try minor injuries for the ears buddy. I know alot of new doctors/nurses would prefer drops to syringe but its worth a try.

I unfortunatley was declared unfit at start of month due to BMI. I submitted an appeal and Iv contacted my doctor for an accurate assessment and Im awaiting his appointment.

Best of luck.

Sorry to hear that buddy!! Out of interest what was your bmi? Unfortunately i'm no slim jim either and my medical is shortly

Perkunas wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that buddy!! Out of interest what was your bmi? Unfortunately i'm no slim jim either and my medical is shortly

Of the top of my head it was around 35 but iv had an extensive diet programme the past month and Iv submitted an appeal. Its now at 33ish. So im hoping they will reassess me and see iv made a big effort.

They also test body fat percentage. Mine was around 24/25 but thats why im going to my doc to get it re-done.

Whats your bmi?

Of the top of my head it was around 35 but iv had an extensive diet programme the past month and Iv submitted an appeal. Its now at 33ish. So im hoping they will reassess me and see iv made a big effort.

They also test body fat percentage. Mine was around 24/25 but thats why im going to my doc to get it re-done.

Whats your bmi?

I think i'm about 31 at the minute. I was sub 30 but have relaxed training since passing the PCA haha!!

I got booked in to get my ears syringed and have another hearing test next week so fingers crossed.

I don't agree with the whole BMI thing if I'm honest, I'm a female but do a lot of heavy weightlifting therefore I'm a lot more muscular/heavier than the average 5ft 8 woman but think my BMI came in at 28.

Fingers crossed for you! Hope you hear soon.

• Advertisement

weewheels wrote: »
    I got booked in to get my ears syringed and have another hearing test next week so fingers crossed.

I don't agree with the whole BMI thing if I'm honest, I'm a female but do a lot of heavy weightlifting therefore I'm a lot more muscular/heavier than the average 5ft 8 woman but think my BMI came in at 28.

Fingers crossed for you! Hope you hear soon.

Thanks - hope u hear soon...... Lol

Sorry for the **** joke!!

Yeah well iv managed to drop 1st 3lbs in 24 days using a very strict diet so my BMI and body fat is well down. Just hope they give me a second chance :-)

Lmao!! I hope so too!! :-)

That's some improvement already!! Hope it all works out :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Batman91

Letter in the post today saying I passed my medical. Pretty quick reply considering it was on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DaveNi

First time poster in this Medical Forum,

I don't want to be tempting fate, with my Pca in a couple of weeks, correct me if I am wrong, the maximum bmi is 30? I come in at around 27/28 and trying to get it down, what's the maximum body fat %?

Also, if you pass pca how long does it take for your medical date?

DaveNi wrote: »
    First time poster in this Medical Forum,

I don't want to be tempting fate, with my Pca in a couple of weeks, correct me if I am wrong, the maximum bmi is 30? I come in at around 27/28 and trying to get it down, what's the maximum body fat %?

Also, if you pass pca how long does it take for your medical date?

Not sure about bmi facts but my medical was about 4 weeks after pca pass date.
    Anybody pass medical with over 30 bmi?

Perkunas wrote: »
    Not sure about bmi facts but my medical was about 4 weeks after pca pass date.
    Anybody pass medical with over 30 bmi?

I would say that the BMI is a soft limit still. When I got in people with over 30 had to do the PCA, which obviously isn't relevant now. But there are LOADS of people who have a BMI over 30 and are still fit.

I would imagine if your lung capacity was poor with a high BMI that starts to raise questions about overall fitness. But unless someone who has done it has better info than me BMI is purely used as an indicator, not as a yes/no thing. All BMI checkers have small print that admit it is a general calculation that doesn't allow for muscle mass etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bearington

Hey folks,

On the medical standard for colour vision it states "severe colour deficiency not acceptable"

Can anyone expand on this and actually reveal what the standard is at the medical?

I'm starting to fret as to whether I meet this criteria or not. It would be a real kick in the teeth to fall at this hurdle for colour blindness.

For anyone that appealled medical did you get called back to it?

Or was there a decision just made on the information that was submitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭marfrig2014

Bearington I don't know the exact standard. I tried to find out too.

Remember it's the dots in a line test not the hidden number one. It's not as difficult if you're mildly colour blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LadyVernal

For anyone that appealled medical did you get called back to it?

Or was there a decision just made on the information that was submitted?

No just sent all my info and letters and got a letter of success a week later

• Advertisement

LadyVernal wrote: »
    No just sent all my info and letters and got a letter of success a week later

Great stuff :-) thanks for reply!!

Iv a mad week or 2 coming up at work and couldnt get time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DaveNi

Just had a quick read at the standards required, My BMI is under 30 but I'm not at all sure about my body fat %, has anyone else had a problem with their medical and body fat %?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

If your under BMI of 30 I imagine you'd be grand. Body fat percentages vary according to how it's measured, some scales calculate it, you can get calipers which measure it etc. Your gym would measure your body fat if you're concerned but if your BMI is under 30 I wouldn't be worried if I were you. Plus, if /when we get to GV we'll soon get leaner!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭valor rorghulis

Im sure this has been covered before, but can people with visual aids pass the medical? I wear glasses/contacts and would definitely need to wear them on the job.

I've only recently done the AC day, don't even know if I've passed, but if I did should I be looking at getting laser work done or are you allowed to wear contacts during the medical/on the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

What is the timeframe from AC to Medical (if I get that far :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

Goonerdee wrote: »
    What is the timeframe from AC to Medical (if I get that far :( )

It varies. For me it was months, pretty sure it depends on your AC score. You also have the PCA in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ptsb1

Im sure this has been covered before, but can people with visual aids pass the medical? I wear glasses/contacts and would definitely need to wear them on the job.

I've only recently done the AC day, don't even know if I've passed, but if I did should I be looking at getting laser work done or are you allowed to wear contacts during the medical/on the job?

They test both aided and unaided vision. I am pretty short sighted (-3.25 and -2.75) and got through ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

Had my medical. Doctor said I passed everything as far as she was concerned but I wouldn't receive written confirmation until the substance misuse test results came through.

Has anyone been told by the Doctor that they passed but received a fail letter or know someone who has?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Babybuns

As regards the medicals do the psni request a full medical history off of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Cromlech wrote: »
    Had my medical. Doctor said I passed everything as far as she was concerned but I wouldn't receive written confirmation until the substance misuse test results came through.

Has anyone been told by the Doctor that they passed but received a fail letter or know someone who has?

SMT comes back within a few days. The SMT guy told me they're on a plane that evening!

Babybuns wrote: »
    As regards the medicals do the psni request a full medical history off of you.

Yes, absolutely everything!

Advertisement