Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭marfrig2014

Doc stated it was RTA. I did go to physio and state that on the form but have requested nothing from them. It's pretty much the only thing on the form too.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rockchick1989

Doc stated it was RTA. I did go to physio and state that on the form but have requested nothing from them. It's pretty much the only thing on the form too.

I would get your discharge letter from physio especially with it being your neck. Better to have more information with you than not enough.

Not sure I'll get it in time but I'll try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

I wonder would they wana know about a fracture when <10 years of age?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LadyVernal

I wonder would they wana know about a fracture when <10 years of age?!?

I didnt write on the medical questionnaire about a fracture. The Doctor just asks you at the medical about broken bones

• Advertisement

Keeps saying on the FAQ about failing because of not giving them info.

My doc states that my whiplash injury 4 years ago resolved quickly with no longterm issues. Surely this is enough. I know my physio will take an age to provide anything. Medical is this week.

Keeps saying on the FAQ about failing because of not giving them info.

My doc states that my whiplash injury 4 years ago resolved quickly with no longterm issues. Surely this is enough. I know my physio will take an age to provide anything. Medical is this week.

You can always appeal if they fail you. Hope you won't have to though, it is stressful1

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Amokach1

Guys, has anyone heard about someone failing the hearing test and successfully appealing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 loggingfolk

Rj408 wrote: »
    Guys I wear glasses and have heard you need to take them off for the eye test, is this true? I would be worried as without them I am BLIND!!!

my eyesight is also poor without my glasses and i struggled to read more than the 3rd line down on the chart. I was able to read all lines with my glasses. I passed the eye test ok, then failed my hearing. Im near certain its only the first 2 lines of the chart unaided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Rj408

my eyesight is also poor without my glasses and i struggled to read more than the 3rd line down on the chart. I was able to read all lines with my glasses. I passed the eye test ok, then failed my hearing. Im near certain its only the first 2 lines of the chart unaided.

First two lines of the chart without aid? I honestly think I will struggle with that!! Where are you basing this answer on?

Has anyone considered lazer eye surgery before joining?

• Advertisement

First two lines of the chart without aid? I honestly think I will struggle with that!! Where are you basing this answer on?

Has anyone considered lazer eye surgery before joining?

I passed the eyesight but was and still am considering laser eye surgery.

Guys I wear glasses and have heard you need to take them off for the eye test, is this true? I would be worried as without them I am BLIND!!!

I wear glasses all the time too and would consider myself to have poor unaided vision. I struggled to read anymore than 3 lines down and guessed most of the 4th. I read all the way to the bottom with glasses on and read the littlest of the small print in the close up test. I passed the eye test fine. I then went on to fail the hearing though. The requirements unaided are 6/36 which is only the second line down on the chart. You would need to actually be almost blind to fail it.

I wear glasses all the time too and would consider myself to have poor unaided vision. I struggled to read anymore than 3 lines down and guessed most of the 4th. I read all the way to the bottom with glasses on and read the littlest of the small print in the close up test. I passed the eye test fine. I then went on to fail the hearing though. The requirements unaided are 6/36 which is only the second line down on the chart. You would need to actually be almost blind to fail it.

Haha that is the thing I would almost be blind! I am worried if I get that far I would fail it on the eye test, which would be a complete disaster. I will maybe book in for an eye examination and see if I can pass it reading the first two lines, if not lazer eye will need to be considered.

Ah really, can you appeal it? Whats the hearing exam like?

Just realized that my firs post did submit. My computer froze and thought I had lost it. The guidelines for applicants states
    Current standards being used by Occupational Health and Welfare are as follows:

Vision
    Binocular vision 6/6 aided or unaided (if visual aids are used must have 6/12 or better in best eye)
    Unaided acuity 6/36 binocularly
    Near vision N6 aided or unaided
    Normal visual fields
    Sever colour deficiency not acceptable

Haha that is the thing I would almost be blind! I am worried if I get that far I would fail it on the eye test, which would be a complete disaster. I will maybe book in for an eye examination and see if I can pass it reading the first two lines, if not lazer eye will need to be considered.

Ah really, can you appeal it? Whats the hearing exam like?

With regard to the hearing I have Tinnitus in my left ear. A high pitched buzz which I hear all the time. Its unfortunately almost identical in frequency to one or two of the tones used in the hearing test therefor I cannot hear the tones in the test and it shows up on the result as being partially deaf. I am infact far from deaf and can hear the same as anyone as long as its not a very high pitched buzzing noise at low volume! I have appealed the decision and await further info.

How long does it take to get medical results?

How long does it take to get medical results?

a few days

Just realized that my firs post did submit. My computer froze and thought I had lost it. The guidelines for applicants states
    Current standards being used by Occupational Health and Welfare are as follows:

Vision
    Binocular vision 6/6 aided or unaided (if visual aids are used must have 6/12 or better in best eye)
    Unaided acuity 6/36 binocularly
    Near vision N6 aided or unaided
    Normal visual fields
    Sever colour deficiency not acceptable

I will have to go and get an eye examination then if thats the case, I am quite worried about the unaided vision think I would fail it to be honest! I don't know why its there in the first place surely you would always have your glasses or contacts in when your working as in every day life....

I assume its in the event of a struggle or fight that you get your glasses knocked off you still have a basic level of vision.

Do they post them out or phone?

• Advertisement

Do they post them out or phone?

Its by post

The doctor who done my final examination on the day told me I had failed before she had even examined me. She explained the appeal process and then asked me would i like to go ahead with the substance misuse test. Apparently the test costs about £300 to do, so they mustn't have completely ruled me out. (edit) I had a letter within 2 days confirming the outcome of the medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

The doctor who done my final examination on the day told me I had failed before she had even examined me. She explained the appeal process and then asked me would i like to go ahead with the substance misuse test. Apparently the test costs about £300 to do, so they mustn't have completely ruled me out.

Really? Surprised they told you on the day. Did Doc advise on what grounds you could appeal?

Dekkers wrote: »
    Really? Surprised they told you on the day. Did Doc advise on what grounds you could appeal?

The doctor told me I had failed on the day as well

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

LadyVernal wrote: »
    The doctor told me I had failed on the day as well

Ah right, strange. Didn't think that was their policy at all!

Dekkers wrote: »
    Ah right, strange. Didn't think that was their policy at all!

Yeh states on their forms that the don't advise you on the day. At least they continued with all examination for people to allow them to appeal.

Yeh states on their forms that the don't advise you on the day. At least they continued with all examination for people to allow them to appeal.

She didnt say you have failed she said you will fail. Think as a precautionary

LadyVernal wrote: »
    She didnt say you have failed she said you will fail. Think as a precautionary

Still, if only one doctor is telling people they will fail, others aren't discovering as other doctors aren't saying? Only good thing is you get to prepare for appeal from then knowing what's coming in that letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Suzuka

Sorry folks another question, in regards to the eyesight I wear both corrective lenses and glasses, corrective lenses are my preferred option but do they test lenses and glasses or if I rock up with just lenses in will that be OK?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Suzuka wrote: »
    Sorry folks another question, in regards to the eyesight I wear both corrective lenses and glasses, corrective lenses are my preferred option but do they test lenses and glasses or if I rock up with just lenses in will that be OK?

They'll make you remove them and test your eyesight with and without. Probably easier if you just wear your glasses

Advertisement