Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 200WattWarlock

Stop worrying about the numbers. It's all speculation anyway. Get out running, get on your bike and let the rest of it take care of itself.

As for vetting, it takes time, and they will email you if they have questions, or invite you to have a face to face.

Sign up for Experian Credit Expert. One of the last vetting checks is a check on your credit history. If you have a free one month Experian account, it will warn you of credit checks. Make sure you cancel it before the free one month expires 'tho, or not if you like the service.

If you get pinged for a credit check, then vetting is basically done.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dr_watson

Stop worrying about the numbers.

If you get pinged for a credit check, then vetting is basically done.

This is wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Suzuka

I was gonna say if its CTC clearance finances aren't that big an issue (afaik?) Don't think they require a credit check, SC and DV go into far more detail around finances

ie: bankruptcy wouldn't fail CTC clearance but theres a higher chance of failing/getting an additional interview for SC/DV clearance with it

Dr_watson wrote: »
    This is wrong!

I can tell you that they do perform a credit check. I had the following alert a few months ago :

'UNRECORDED ENQUIRY search of your credit report by ACPO POLICE VETTING'

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

They do perform a credit check but just because they've done the search doesn't mean your vetting has cleared.

• Advertisement

.S. wrote: »
    They do perform a credit check but just because they've done the search doesn't mean your vetting has cleared.

I didn't say it was cleared, I was inferring that it would be near the end of the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Lol my credit check was done the first week of April. It was august before my vetting cleared

Mine was about a week before I got the call. It's a pity that we don't get more info or even a letter saying it's passed. Would at least calm nerves for those waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Rezone

Anyone here shine some light on the medical in regards to eyes?

I wear glasses all the time, is there no hope if this is the case as I assume you need to do the eye test without glasses on?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

There are medical eye standards on the join psni website go take a look and see. Depends on how bad your eyes are, I believe you have to read the first few lines of an eye exam without glasses.

Think some people have in the past mentioned getting lazer eye surgery done before the medical. Something to think about... how bad are your eyes?

• Advertisement

KevBo2015 wrote: »
    There are medical eye standards on the join psni website go take a look and see. Depends on how bad your eyes are, I believe you have to read the first few lines of an eye exam without glasses.

Think some people have in the past mentioned getting lazer eye surgery done before the medical. Something to think about... how bad are your eyes?

Hmm I can probably get the first couple of lines in an eye test but after that i'm buggered, left eye is fine, right eye is terrible! Take it there's no way you can agree to get lazer eye after the medical is done? :(

I think off the top of my head its 3/36 un aided which means the first two lines, in other words the first 4 or so letters ha ha! Then you must read 20/20 with aids, be it contacts or glasses. I got this info from the Join PSNI website the first time I looked into it myself, worth a look into it you will find a wealth of information there about the recruitment process.

As far as getting it done after the medical I wouldn't know, I know of a few people who appealed theirs and got through but it was for other things not their eyes. Not sure how failing vision would work on the appeals board, maybe someone else here can shead some light on this?

Edit:- You could always go to your optician and get an eye exam, no doubt they have had someone in the past trying for military service and the standards are the same.

PSNI Vision Standards

-Binocular vision 6/6 aided or unaided (if visual aids are used must have 6/12 or better in best eye)
    -Unaided acuity 6/36 binocularly
    -Near vision N6 aided or unaided
    -Normal visual fields
    -Severe colour deficiency not acceptable

http://www.psni.police.uk/ohw_current_standards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭WannabePC

A buddy of mine whose been in now since 2008 or so had laser surgery before his medical. He was as blind as a bat and said it was the best things he's ever done. I think they offer 0% finance too. Get an optometrist to check your sight compared to the requirements and if you can't meet them, get yourself booked in for a consultation which is usually free too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

WannabePC wrote: »
    A buddy of mine whose been in now since 2008 or so had laser surgery before his medical. He was as blind as a bat and said it was the best things he's ever done. I think they offer 0% finance too. Get an optometrist to check your sight compared to the requirements and if you can't meet them, get yourself booked in for a consultation which is usually free too.

If anyone is considering going for Laser eye surgery be careful which procedure you go for. I had Lasik surgery (best thing ever), it is accepted as it does not cause permanent weakness to the cornea.

Don't suppose anyone knows their policy on RGP contacts? Or keratoconus? Friend who's applied has it and is curious, tried to help him best I can with info but seems limited

I received my vetting forms for campaign 2 and waiting for my fitness/medical date now. I have keratoconus and i have applied.

I think if you pass the eye test requirements you should be fine. I have to get collagen cross-linking done in 6 months time and when you get that procedure done you technically no longer have keratoconus.

Go get an eye test, compare it to the PSNI requirements and then hopefully have some clarity on how good/bad your eyesight is in comparison to the standards. I would only put it on a medical form if you aren't on a list for surgery anytime soon, but if you are waiting to get any treatment done I would just leave it.

I'd assume medical forms would apply to ailments and illnesses that are ongoing that will have an effect on your fitness and general duties, e.g. Heart Problems, Breathing Problems, Back Problems. Things that can't be fixed just treated.

Another possibly ridiculous question.... lol

Would regularly taking creatine and a preworkout (BSN N.O xplode) fail the substance misuse test?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Icarus9

Suzuka wrote: »
    Another possibly ridiculous question.... lol

Would regularly taking creatine and a preworkout (BSN N.O xplode) fail the substance misuse test?

No creatine is not a banned substance

Creatine is produced naturally in the human body from amino acids and arginine. It is also found in red meat, beef, fish etc

Basically everyone has creatine in their body regardless if you choose to supplement additional creatine into your body in powder form through sports supplements etc.

• Advertisement

What he said.

I can't imagine they would even test for steroids either. When doing drug tests you have to test for a specific drug and it costs money, I'd imagine the ones they do are the basics like weed, E's and all the party type drugs people would take at the weekend.

No explode surely is just nitrous oxide and caffine et al and would not be considered drugs?

When they're taking the hair sample they ask for the names of any and all drugs you're taking. Make a list of them and bring it with you. I had cold and flu tablets, he asked which brand lol think he was taking the piss and I had tylex (horse leg vs my head) in my system at the time and I passed. Like KevBo and Icarus said it's the party drugs they're looking for and possibly high levels of prescription drugs. My sis works in a hospital lab. They only ask for the list of stuff you've been taken so they can rule out those traces or if there's a few things you're taking. The general rule applies here too, if in doubt confess the lot lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

This:
    Mop a top wrote: »
    ...if in doubt confess the lot
    Do this.

-Shield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 820sox

Hi! Never posted before but have been reading for a while.

Just wondering if anyone has a definitive answer on which laser eye surgeries are accepted?

I've been thinking about getting it done for years and then worried that I wouldn't pass the eye test because of how short sighted I am. Now I'm worried that if i get a certain surgery I'll be completely ruled out!

Can anyone shed any light?

Ta!

I thought I'd seen someone posting here last year that failed the eye sight test, appealed it, got the surgery done, repeated the test and was accepted. I honestly can't remember who it was though. Ring 101 ask to speak to someone in recruitment, if you get put through say you've queries about the laser surgery being accepted and see if they can shed any light on the subject or ask for an email address of someone in the medical dept you could contact. Might work, might not. On the other hand, take the eyesight requirements to your optician and ask them. At your medical they'll ask you to do the sight test glasses on and glasses off

820sox wrote: »
    Hi! Never posted before but have been reading for a while.

Just wondering if anyone has a definitive answer on which laser eye surgeries are accepted?

I've been thinking about getting it done for years and then worried that I wouldn't pass the eye test because of how short sighted I am. Now I'm worried that if i get a certain surgery I'll be completely ruled out!

Can anyone shed any light?

Ta!
    Have you been for a consultation? All this will be discussed at it... in basic there are two types.

1. Peel back the top of the eye and laser, short healing time and recommended for most people.

2. Drops to soften the eye and laser right in, recommended for more active people.
    The likes of people who play rugby, or contact sports and so on. The healing time is longer as its invasive. This is the one you will have if you want to join the police.

The reason is if you get a good knock then the bit they have peeled back may come loose.... and that is a whole boat load of stuff you don't want.

My friend has had this done for the same purpose, and he is currently in GV now. Option 2 and no problems with medical.

If your badly short sighted you will pay for it tho... hope you've been saving the pennies haha!

Hey guys just wondering the PSNIs views on Asthma ? I never need my inhalers ...like ever yet I am classed as asthmatic. I have heard some horror stories where you get auto rejected in the medical if you are. If so seems very harsh since you prove your fitness during the PCA

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭The keyboard warrior

Hey Rezone.

As far as I'm aware, the medical standards PSNI work to are stipulated in the Home Office Circular 59/2004 and are applied across all Police Forces in the UK.

The main changes in 2004 stipulated that, 'from 1 October 2004 it will be unlawful to exclude candidates automatically on the basis of a medical condition or disability. Each case should be looked at individually and assessed on its merits.'

- The standards also reflect fitness to serve at the time of assessment and for a *reasonable time. This differs from the previous standards (prior to 2004) which reflected:

1. fitness to serve at the time of assessment
    2. a prediction that the individual was likely to remain fit for the full duties of a police constable for the foreseeable future, and;
    3. was unlikely to have a condition or medical history which could lead to premature retirement on health grounds.

* A reasonable time is stipulated by some other UK Police Forces as 5 years. This is felt to be adequate in light of training costs, etc. I would assume the time frame would be similar for PSNI, but am only guessing.

'The standards indicate that some medical conditions may be less compatible with police work than others. This is indicative only and each case will need to be looked at individually and assessed on its merits in the light of professional information and judgement. '

Hey Rezone.

As far as I'm aware, the medical standards PSNI work to are stipulated in the Home Office Circular 59/2004 and are applied across all Police Forces in the UK.

The main changes in 2004 stipulated that, 'from 1 October 2004 it will be unlawful to exclude candidates automatically on the basis of a medical condition or disability. Each case should be looked at individually and assessed on its merits.'

- The standards also reflect fitness to serve at the time of assessment and for a *reasonable time. This differs from the previous standards (prior to 2004) which reflected:

1. fitness to serve at the time of assessment
    2. a prediction that the individual was likely to remain fit for the full duties of a police constable for the foreseeable future, and;
    3. was unlikely to have a condition or medical history which could lead to premature retirement on health grounds.

* A reasonable time is stipulated by some other UK Police Forces as 5 years. This is felt to be adequate in light of training costs, etc. I would assume the time frame would be similar for PSNI, but am only guessing.

'The standards indicate that some medical conditions may be less compatible with police work than others. This is indicative only and each case will need to be looked at individually and assessed on its merits in the light of professional information and judgement. '

Cheers for the reply man! So worried that my dream will be crushed by just being diagnosed with something that doesnt effect my life in any shape or form! PS do you find out on the day if you pass or fail the medical? So excited after passing my PCA that i'm literally stepping stones away from everything !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jalapeno peppers

I had a small medical condition when I was born and have had to tick a yes box on the form because of it but because of how long ago it was and due to the fact I was a newborn baby I don't know how to answer all the questions they need.... Should I just leave them blank or write 'see gp notes' and get the doctor to supply more information about that?

Advertisement