Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 1 - The Initial Selection Test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 blue3790

RedmondHR wrote: »
    I bought the How to Pass the New Police Selection System: Practise for the Psychometric Tests and Succeed at the Assessment Centres, it is supposedly a good book for it. Got it just to mix it up from the other test I will be doing. How yous feeling for it?!

What's the other test you'll be doing? Do you find the book useful? Might consider buying if you do! Apprehensive about it but kind of excited (I know that's really weird). Just want to get stuck into the process asap. Do you think they'll give the first IST test to those who applied earliest and work it that way?

Pmac773 wrote: »
    Just glad I'm finally at the age to finally go for it! Been such a long time since I made my mind up that it was the job for me, as silly as it sounds it's the only job I want

I'm literally exactly the same. Can't imagine myself doing anything else, I want it so bad! are you still at school? If so are you going to be applying for a degree/ job as well as this? (again it's fine if you don't want to answer, psni are probs trolling this site trying to figure out applicants using it..)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

Havnt a clue, I bought it two days ago so should get it sometime next week. I know a few people used the book to study, if you look at the first or second comment on this thread, but that was back in 2008. So it might be a bit dated, but it was only £6, so for the risk and the extra study not a bad risk I think. Will get back to you's as soon as I know though.
    I just started a masters in Criminology for two years, so that should be a fun decision to make in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Joe789

I wouldnt stress about dress for IST. People wear tracksuit bottoms. Jeans and a casual top/hoodie is fine. To put it in context I wore converse to mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Pmac773

blue3790 wrote: »
    I'm literally exactly the same. Can't imagine myself doing anything else, I want it so bad! are you still at school? If so are you going to be applying for a degree/ job as well as this? (again it's fine if you don't want to answer, psni are probs trolling this site trying to figure out applicants using it..)

Neither can I, it's a job that means so much to me! I'll PM you with regards to that, just as your saying about them doing that. I'm pretty sure I've seen that they monitor this!

• Advertisement

Neither can I, it's a job that means so much to me! I'll PM you with regards to that, just as your saying about them doing that. I'm pretty sure I've seen that they monitor this!

Nearly sure I've read that as well, no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

RedmondHR wrote: »
    I bought the How to Pass the New Police Selection System: Practise for the Psychometric Tests and Succeed at the Assessment Centres, it is supposedly a good book for it. Got it just to mix it up from the other test I will be doing. How yous feeling for it?!

Great book even though it is clearly aimed at the English police system. Definitely good to get you in the right mindset although the actual verbal & numeracy questions aren't the same as ours.
    I still highly recommend it though (get the actual book not digital as you'll want to make notes)

Also do a search for PC Surname 'I Pay Your Wages'. It's a comical day in the life of a bobby written by a serving officer. Very funny but gives a great insight into the job.
    I got mine on Kindle for a couple of quid.

Just ordered the first book there now. It's so hard to know how to prepare though. Are there any actual papers you can buy to practise? (I'm aware the psni don't recommend any..)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

Homer01 wrote: »
    Great book even though it is clearly aimed at the English police system. Definitely good to get you in the right mindset although the actual verbal & numeracy questions aren't the same as ours.
    I still highly recommend it though (get the actual book not digital as you'll want to make notes)

Also do a search for PC Surname 'I Pay Your Wages'. It's a comical day in the life of a bobby written by a serving officer. Very funny but gives a great insight into the job.
    I got mine on Kindle for a couple of quid.

Just wondering what did you do to study for the verbal & numeracy questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭IvanT1984

Advice I can offer for the IST is start reading more start doing puzzles like sudoku and crosswords anything to keep your brain active

and while you have to work quickly I would always say don't worry about finishing the papers its better to answer 8 out of 10 correctly than answer all ten and have made more mistakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭janet1989

Will all the questions on the IST be MCQ? Is there any other part of the test that would require us to write something rather than just tick the box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Breaking bad

janet1989 wrote: »
    Will all the questions on the IST be MCQ? Is there any other part of the test that would require us to write something rather than just tick the box?

It's in the same format as the sample questions you get to practice with that they issue out

Can anyone tell me how long does it normally take after the IST to find out if you've passed or not?

Can anyone tell me how long does it normally take after the IST to find out if you've passed or not?

Depends when you do it. Last time I did mine very early; had to wait about 7/8 weeks.

Homer01 wrote: »
    Depends when you do it. Last time I did mine very early; had to wait about 7/8 weeks.

That's long enough to be left wondering! Weeks of worrying ahead I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭IvanT1984

That's long enough to be left wondering! Weeks of worrying ahead I guess!

If you think 7-8 weeks is long just remember some of us applied in may 2014 and are only just about to start

be prepared to wait a fair while

IvanT1984 wrote: »
    If you think 7-8 weeks is long just remember some of us applied in may 2014 and are only just about to start

be prepared to wait a fair while

It's a long road ahead, but it will be worth it! Congratulations on getting in though!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭janet1989

How much time is given for the IST in total and how is done exactly-computer, paper etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

janet1989 wrote: »
    How much time is given for the IST in total and how is done exactly-computer, paper etc?
    Add your reply here.

Paper form, no calculator just mental arithmetic I remember from last time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hurdles123

Hi,

I'm new to the boards.

I am not asking for anyone to state the dates for obvious reasons but has anyone received the date for the IST? I have received my confirmation email but wonder will we receive the date by tomorrow as originally suggested?

Many Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

hurdles123 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm new to the boards.

I am not asking for anyone to state the dates for obvious reasons but has anyone received the date for the IST? I have received my confirmation email but wonder will we receive the date by tomorrow as originally suggested?

Many Thanks

Although it says the 30th, it could be well after that. I think it depends on when you applied, so if you applied early I assume the likelihood is you will hear sooner.

It's all just a waiting game and the more time between stages the more prepared you can be.

Thanks Johannes

I know this very well about the waiting game through friends and reading these boards but thought because it was so early in process they may well be on time with this phase.

I applied very early on so hopefully won't have to long to wait.

Thanks Johannes

I know this very well about the waiting game through friends and reading these boards but thought because it was so early in process they may well be on time with this phase.

I applied very early on so hopefully won't have to long to wait.

I just had a look over my previous applications and they contacted me with IST dates before the date they anticipated.

Looks reasonably good that we could hear something tomorrow or the start of next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Hi,

I'm new to the boards.

Many Thanks

Welcome my lovely. It's not unusual for Deloitte to leave it to the last minute to send out the emails, theyve done that on several occasions. Just keep an eye on your junk folder as I remember some people saying their emails went in there instead of the inbox. If you ever have any questions just their them out there. I'll guarantee someone else is wondering the same thing or send some of us a pm :)

No problem

Do you know if its allowed to be in the armed forces reserves whilst being a PC?

No problem

Do you know if its allowed to be in the armed forces reserves whilst being a PC?

Pretty sure you can, I know an ex officer who was considering RMP reserve, but I'm unsure if it was a national unit with lower commitment rather than a local one.

You could probably ask HR when you progress further in the process just to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

About 10 years ago my ex got in to hotel GV. He had to resign from the TA, not sure if that's still applicable or not. Like JC said HR would be your best bet on that one.

Mop a top wrote: »
    About 10 years ago my ex got in to hotel GV. He had to resign from the TA, not sure if that's still applicable or not. Like JC said HR would be your best bet on that one.

I'm almost positive I read/heard somewhere you can't serve in the reserves during training/probation but can after...don't know how accurate that is because I can't remember the source.

I predict IST invites will go out after 5pm tomorrow.
    That way Deloitte don't get a load of calls from people complaining about their date! Who wants that on a Friday afternoon? :D

• Advertisement

IST invite email through; it begins :D

Advertisement