Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 1 - The Initial Selection Test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

Is there any way to prepare for the part 3 of the IST; "Exercising judgement and making decisions in work-based scenarios"?

Would a sample question on this part be something like "how would you react if your colleague overreacted"?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 5031

Anybody have suggestions on how to prepare other than the Deloitte practice paper? I have a few Police Scotland practice papers for their testing but can't seam to find anything to reflect the actual PSNI IST I sat last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

11plus papers?? Belfast telegraph were doing AQE test papers recently. Don't know if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Pmac773

First timer here altogether, so has anyone got any advice on preparing for the IST? Really want to be prepared as I've noticed it appears to be difficult so not underestimating at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 blue3790

First timer here too! Have been reading this board for years (no exaggeration) and always silently wished I could be a part of it. Took the leap this year and applied. Going to be on the extremely young side of those applying- hoping this dosen't leave me at a disadvantage! Would appreciate any help in terms of advice for IST :)

• Advertisement

blue3790 wrote: »
    First timer here too! Have been reading this board for years (no exaggeration) and always silently wished I could be a part of it. Took the leap this year and applied. Going to be on the extremely young side of those applying- hoping this dosen't leave me at a disadvantage! Would appreciate any help in terms of advice for IST :)

On the exact same boat as you, lurked for ages wishing I was old enough! Shouldn't be a disadvantage though, if we do well in everything and get a high enough merit score we should be in Garnerville, a lot of hard work ahead! Long road too though. :)

Pmac773 wrote: »
    On the exact same boat as you, lurked for ages wishing I was old enough! Shouldn't be a disadvantage though, if we do well in everything and get a high enough merit score we should be in Garnerville, a lot of hard work ahead! Long road too though. :)

True! Without sounding cocky I'm not as worried about the IST as the other parts tho(if I get that far). In saying that I've heard it's a lot harder that the practise one. Nice to know someone else is in the same boat

True! Without sounding cocky I'm not as worried about the IST as the other parts tho(if I get that far). In saying that I've heard it's a lot harder that the practise one. Nice to know someone else is in the same boat

IST cuts the applicants down by around 50% so it will tough that's for sure!

IST cuts the applicants down by around 50% so it will tough that's for sure!

No way!? Didn't realise it was by that much. Hope you don't mind me asking but have you received a date for yours yet?

No way!? Didn't realise it was by that much. Hope you don't mind me asking but have you received a date for yours yet?

No I don't mind at all, but no not yet! They'll all be sent out for this time next week so I'd imagine it will be soon. Got my progression email last weekend so there could be a chance I could get it this weekend. It's crazy how much it cuts the numbers down, time limit seems crucial!

• Advertisement

No I don't mind at all, but no not yet! They'll all be sent out for this time next week so I'd imagine it will be soon. Got my progression email last weekend so there could be a chance I could get it this weekend. It's crazy how much it cuts the numbers down, time limit seems crucial!

Have you started training for the physical side of things?? I went to a familiarisation event and they gave me a structured training programme which I started today. Hate to admit it, but it near killed me 😳 Definitely have a lot of work to do!

Sorry about all the questions, but can anyone who has been through the process inform me of the dress code for the IST? I know the AC is formal, but surely we arn't going to be in suits just to sit a written paper?!

Have you started training for the physical side of things?? I went to a familiarisation event and they gave me a structured training programme which I started today. Hate to admit it, but it near killed me 😳 Definitely have a lot of work to do!

Yeah I've started the gym 3 days a week, but closer to the time I'll move onto the training programme! If I get that far that is!! Want to be as prepared as I can be, as for the IST dress code, I was wondering the exact same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Derob

Casual dress at IST folks

Derob wrote: »

So like jeans and a blouse for the gals or is that too casual?

Yeah I've started the gym 3 days a week, but closer to the time I'll move onto the training programme! If I get that far that is!! Want to be as prepared as I can be, as for the IST dress code, I was wondering the exact same thing!

Jeepers I'd need to get a move on if that's what I'm up against! I don't mind short bursts of energy, it's the stamina side of things I'm rubbish at.

So like jeans and a blouse for the gals or is that too casual?

Absolutely fine, some people had shirt and trousers on but probably had work afterwards, you are not being interviewed or judged so whatever you are comfortable in, just not your pj's lol! Jeans, tshirts, shirts, polo tops etc.

Absolutely fine, some people had shirt and trousers on but probably had work afterwards, you are not being interviewed or judged so whatever you are comfortable in, just not your pj's lol! Jeans, tshirts, shirts, polo tops etc.

Aw that's grand then, just didn't want to get caught out if everyone else was arriving in suits etc! Thanks for your help :)

Jeepers I'd need to get a move on if that's what I'm up against! I don't mind short bursts of energy, it's the stamina side of things I'm rubbish at.

My staminas terrible too! But it will come with time I'd imagine, a lot of it is mental strength I think. If you want it enough you'll do it! Slightly nervous about the IST though

My staminas terrible too! But it will come with time I'd imagine, a lot of it is mental strength I think. If you want it enough you'll do it! Slightly nervous about the IST though

Definitely agree with the mental strength comment- everybody, regardless of how fit is going to find it hard.. It just comes down to how much you can endure. To be honest it's the 'not knowing' aspect of the IST that scares me. To be frank, anybody with half a brain cell could pass the example one but in previous threads people have remarked that the real one is a LOT harder. One bad paper could automatically rule me out of the job which is scary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

Can we not wear something comfortable like a tracksuit? The PSNI are not coordinating the IST. Out of all the different exams I have done, I have never heard of a dress code!

danube wrote: »
    Can we not wear something comfortable like a tracksuit? The PSNI are not coordinating the IST. Out of all the different exams I have done, I have never heard of a dress code!

Absolutely, just smart dress for assessment centre is advised :)

danube wrote: »

I can't really say since I've never been through the process before, but seemingly it doesn't really matter what you wear to this stage (within reason of course) as the staff arn't going to be analysing you or whatever as what will be the case in the AC. Personally however, I'll be sticking to jeans and a blouse

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ZeGerman

I've been through this more times than I would care to remember. For the IST wear whatever you feel comfortable in, your going to be stressed enough by the test without adding on any worry about your clothing. Want to wear a suit go for it, want to wear a tracksuit knock yourself out. It really doesn't matter and I'll be in jeans and a tshirt like every year since my first year when I got suited and booted.

Definitely agree with the mental strength comment- everybody, regardless of how fit is going to find it hard.. It just comes down to how much you can endure. To be honest it's the 'not knowing' aspect of the IST that scares me. To be frank, anybody with half a brain cell could pass the example one but in previous threads people have remarked that the real one is a LOT harder. One bad paper could automatically rule me out of the job which is scary.

Yeah, that's what is worrying me! Especially when it's a job that means so much to us all! Who knows we could end up in the same squad in Garnerville laughing about how we were worrying! Would be amazing!

As for dress code I think I'll stick to jeans and a tshirt as well! They'll not be picky about it!

As for dress code I think I'll stick to jeans and a tshirt as well! They'll not be picky about it!

Imagine tho! So hard not to get my hopes up because I know I'm competing with thousands of others who want the job as bad as I do...

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

I bought the How to Pass the New Police Selection System: Practise for the Psychometric Tests and Succeed at the Assessment Centres, it is supposedly a good book for it. Got it just to mix it up from the other test I will be doing. How yous feeling for it?!

RedmondHR wrote: »
    I bought the How to Pass the New Police Selection System: Practise for the Psychometric Tests and Succeed at the Assessment Centres, it is supposedly a good book for it. Got it just to mix it up from the other test I will be doing. How yous feeling for it?!

Is it relevant to the IST? Could be worth the purchase if it is! Nervous about it but looking forward to it in a strange way! Just want the job so so much!

• Advertisement

Imagine tho! So hard not to get my hopes up because I know I'm competing with thousands of others who want the job as bad as I do...

Just glad I'm finally at the age to finally go for it! Been such a long time since I made my mind up that it was the job for me, as silly as it sounds it's the only job I want

Advertisement