Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 1 - The Initial Selection Test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Timetravel wrote: »
    Good stuff I've been trying to get other options going too, never good to have all the eggs in one basket I think! Looked at the CKIP too but decided against it!

I'm up then too our paths might cross lol did you score well on IST? Really happy to be through to AC!

Yeah you never know, if you come across a fella who looks like an Arsenal supporter then it might just be Highburylad lol, yeah I did well mate, and I'm the same as yourself ecstatic to get through, it's not a fun process, but hopefully all the emotions and pain pays off.

Cheers mate. Im not eligable for MOD cause im not living in the UK im Irish and living in the republic of ireland. They are very strict there. I checked with them and its a definate no. Thanks thou

Your welcome mate, what about AGS what's the craic there, I know the recruitment process happened recently there but it looks like a bit of a nightmare in terms of all these different stages and what not they have people at, was speaking to a fella I played rugby with from Rorys hometown of Ballyshannon, lol just been listening to a lot of Gallagher and thought I would plug that lol, and he was saying he was in band 1 band 2 or something like that after not getting past a certain test he actually wasn't failed just put on an extended waiting list, sounded quite confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭wannabegard

Ya man its a complete joke to be honest. The way it worked was there was over 28000 applicants to AGS both from the Reserve and the population. There were 5 stages. 3 aptitude tests that you had to pass before you got to the assessment center and then you were sent to your medical and physical.
    The problem is that unlike the PSNI aptitude test which was pass/fail, applicants were set into 3 bands based on how well they did in the aptitude tests. So like the first band consisted of the first 5000 ppl who scored highest in the aptitude test. Those people where then put forward to the second aptitude test and the first 1000 people who scored the highest were put forward to the third stage, a sit down aptitude test, then interview and medical then templemore etc.

The main issue i have with the recruitment is that the second and third bands have no possible way to get through to the next stage. As we are divided into bands based on aptitude test, when the next recruitment campain comes applicants will be selected based on the initial aptitude test that was taken in may of this year. Only 300 gardai are being taken on. So for people like myself, we basically dont know where we stand in relation to future campaigns. It is incredibly frustrating so that i why i am looking at UK police, as the system seems to a lot fairer and easier than the system here at home.

Can i also mention that the contribution made by members of the garda reserve where not recongised in the slightest by the recruiting body public jobs. It was as if the reserve did not exist and has made reservists like myself reconsider whether or not we want to actually become police officers after the way we have been treated in this campaign. I a considering relocating to the UK for the three year period so i will become eligible for the forces there. I have even considered joining the british armed forces in order to be made eligable.
    Hope i didnt confuse the siht out of you! haha

Ya man its a complete joke to be honest. The way it worked was there was over 28000 applicants to AGS both from the Reserve and the population. There were 5 stages. 3 aptitude tests that you had to pass before you got to the assessment center and then you were sent to your medical and physical.
    The problem is that unlike the PSNI aptitude test which was pass/fail, applicants were set into 3 bands based on how well they did in the aptitude tests. So like the first band consisted of the first 5000 ppl who scored highest in the aptitude test. Those people where then put forward to the second aptitude test and the first 1000 people who scored the highest were put forward to the third stage, a sit down aptitude test, then interview and medical then templemore etc.

The main issue i have with the recruitment is that the second and third bands have no possible way to get through to the next stage. As we are divided into bands based on aptitude test, when the next recruitment campain comes applicants will be selected based on the initial aptitude test that was taken in may of this year. Only 300 gardai are being taken on. So for people like myself, we basically dont know where we stand in relation to future campaigns. It is incredibly frustrating so that i why i am looking at UK police, as the system seems to a lot fairer and easier than the system here at home.

Can i also mention that the contribution made by members of the garda reserve where not recongised in the slightest by the recruiting body public jobs. It was as if the reserve did not exist and has made reservists like myself reconsider whether or not we want to actually become police officers after the way we have been treated in this campaign. I a considering relocating to the UK for the three year period so i will become eligible for the forces there. I have even considered joining the british armed forces in order to be made eligable.
    Hope i didnt confuse the siht out of you! haha

Jesus, that sounds like a total mind melt, fair play mate, I heard about the reserve not getting their fair dues, there is supposedly another campaign to happen in the new year again for here man so if your still looking apply again. I'm not gonna lie I looked at it but the pay man took me by shock, for ags that is, I mean people are complaining about the new wages for the PSNI and that's fair enough but the wages down south I was really shocked at especially pensions etc too, but yeah totally fair play to you bud. There's the civil nuclear constabulary in england too mate, they were looking people a while ago good money too starting was 27k up to 40k heard its very much guarding nuclear sites and nuclear materials but don't know if you had to be a resident within the UK, but worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭missyme82

Hey guys just out of IST, what was the pass mark this time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Suzuka

missyme82 wrote: »
    Hey guys just out of IST, what was the pass mark this time?
    48. You find out your scores by Monday don't you? Best of luck

Suzuka wrote: »
    48. You find out your scores by Monday don't you? Best of luck

thank U, lower than last time then, yes by Monday, thankfully not long to wait. 2nd time for me, pass last time but wouldn't be too confident this time tbh

thank U, lower than last time then, yes by Monday, thankfully not long to wait. 2nd time for me, pass last time but wouldn't be too confident this time tbh
    Chin up, look at it from this point of view its only 16 marks per test you need

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭VES86

i felt the same, was confident i passed last year and did, this year i wasnt so sure, and scored far better

you'll surprise yourself

Checked your email yet?

• Advertisement

Suzuka wrote: »
    Checked your email yet?

yes nothing there yet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

This is a mobile site, hope some of you can read it.

http://m.u.tv/News/Policing-budget-cuts-could-top-88m/a772d99e-efa3-4696-bda6-cf0dc47c9a00

Not liking that!

Goonerdee wrote: »

http://m.u.tv/News/Policing-budget-cuts-could-top-88m/a772d99e-efa3-4696-bda6-cf0dc47c9a00

Not liking that!

Have a look in the wait thread. Posted the report to the board. Recruitment looks full steam ahead even for 2015

Goonerdee wrote: »

Not liking that!

Have a look in the wait thread. Posted the report to the board. Recruitment looks full steam ahead even for 2015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

VES86 wrote: »

Thanks, fingers, toes, legs and eyes crossed here!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tailsy25088832

Just refreshed emails results from July IST in folder and missed it by 1.gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Queenie34

With regards to the AC, I have a question. When you do the role plays are you sitting down at a table or standing up? Bit of a weird question I know, but the role plays are starting to play with my head lol.

Queenie34 wrote: »
    With regards to the AC, I have a question. When you do the role plays are you sitting down at a table or standing up? Bit of a weird question I know, but the role plays are starting to play with my head lol.
    There's a desk where the role player sits but I'm sure you could stand up and talk to them if you really wanted

Deloitte playing with my head again, deadline for results and still no result. I mailed them and they said id get them shortly. That was an.hour and a half ago :(

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Hope you hear soon missy me!

• Advertisement

.S. wrote: »
    Hope you hear soon missy me!

I did I passed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Congrats chick x

Mop a top wrote: »
    Congrats chick x

thanks mrs :) back to the torture of email watching lol, ac not for a good while yet.

No need for the email torture then, you shouldn't be getting another one until after AC. Chill out, easier said than done though lol x

Mop a top wrote: »
    No need for the email torture then, you shouldn't be getting another one until after AC. Chill out, easier said than done though lol x

yes that won't start again until much later in the year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Time raise this thread again; has it been a year already?

OMG was looking at my old posts there :-/ can't relieve it was a year ago folks were getting results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ColourArcade

I'll have to do a in depth sweep of this thread before asking any questions.

Last thing I want to do it ask something someone has already answered previously. Although, 178 pages is a big read haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

I'll have to do a in depth sweep of this thread before asking any questions.

Last thing I want to do it ask something someone has already answered previously. Although, 178 pages is a big read haha!

Any questions just ask. Most folk here have been through this a few times and are only to happy to help out :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Joe789

My assessment centre was this time Oct last year! Madness. Get shudders thinking about it still

Advertisement