Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 1 - The Initial Selection Test

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭WannabePC

I did my test today and my brain failed to get going for the T,F and CT at the start. Hopefully I'll scrape through incase I don't get in with the C2 bunch. PCA in a couple of weeks to look forward to now!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Midgetgem84

What stage you at in C2 wannabe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

IST completed today. Pretty much a full house; just over 100 applicants.

Again even though it specifically states on their email 'you must bring a print out not show it on your phone' they let people in. If you can't follow a simple instruction at this stage...

One guy had no print out and couldn't show the email and he was sent away and told to reschedule.

My best advice for passing the IST is...
    answer all the questions correctly in the time given :D

I think I did alright but time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 NeeeeNaaaaw

Found it a little sad to see someone fill in answers as the examiners were going around picking up the sheets. You would think honesty would prevail in such a situation, obviously not.

Just trying to recall, how many questions were in each section? I remember the first being 20, but the next two elude me. Just trying to work out what I might have achieved. Absolutely gutted, nerves took over and I left 5 out on the first and 5 on the last as I ran out of time! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Found it a little sad to see someone fill in answers as the examiners were going around picking up the sheets. You would think honesty would prevail in such a situation, obviously not.

Just trying to recall, how many questions were in each section? I remember the first being 20, but the next two elude me. Just trying to work out what I might have achieved. Absolutely gutted, nerves took over and I left 5 out on the first and 5 on the last as I ran out of time! :(

Honestly don't panic. C1 and C2 I never got the last section finished and the middle one I guessed the last few answers cos I seen them getting up to say pencils down but I still passed. You've probably done better than you think.

Last campaign at my IST they refused 2 peoples tests as they were still filling in answers after the time.

Btw I love the user name :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 emk192

Also had my IST today. Found the T-F-CT tricky and didn't have time for the last 6 questions :( had to just quickly fill in some random boxes in the hope of some marks. Does anyone know what sort of marks will get you a pass, from previous years??

What stage you at in C2 wannabe?

Vetting forms sent away mid October, Online Learning completed and I have my PCA at the end of this month bud. Looking forward to getting it over and done with and getting on to the medical etc. You?

emk192 wrote: »
    Also had my IST today. Found the T-F-CT tricky and didn't have time for the last 6 questions :( had to just quickly fill in some random boxes in the hope of some marks. Does anyone know what sort of marks will get you a pass, from previous years??

It's usually somewhere between the 48 and 52 mark for a pass. It all depends on how many people pass as they'll want a certain number to go to the AC so they'll just go down the list of scores to whatever the cut off mark is for the number they want. I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Pmac773

Reading this is making me nervous for mine lol would love to have it out of the way! I'm sure you all done great though!!

emk192 wrote: »

I have done the T/F/CT questions with other job applications. You could spend ages deciding which answer is right. Some are pretty black and white while others are very grey.

As Wannabe said they set the pass mark once all tests are completed. If this year we are all smart cookies then it will be higher or if we're as thick as a plank of wood then it be lower.
    Ultimately they'll have to get so many through. Usually the IST 'gets rid' of about half.

• Advertisement

You would think there wasn't a live campaign on!!

All the buzz is over on the waiting and intake threads. Come on 1509er's get posting and that includes all you lurkers!

The folk you chat with here could well be your bunk buddy in GV.

So who has completed their IST? Did anyone else see some very dodgy Movember taches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Homer01 wrote: »
    You would think there wasn't a live campaign on!!

All the buzz is over on the waiting and intake threads. Come on 1509er's get posting and that includes all you lurkers!

The folk you chat with here could well be your bunk buddy in GV.

So who has completed their IST? Did anyone else see some very dodgy Movember taches?

I've mine done thank god. Very quiet on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Momc82

IST completed also.
    Really p***ed off to see people still colouring in frantically after time. Honestly felt like putting my hand up and squalling on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

Did my IST over a week ago and expected a lot more to be posting throughout the week.

Noticed a wider variety of applicants this time around, loads more younger folk and women.

Did my IST over a week ago and expected a lot more to be posting throughout the week.

Noticed a wider variety of applicants this time around, loads more younger folk and women.

I remember the 1309 campaign and the boards were on fire. I'm sure it was mostly because it was the first campaign in three years but it is deathly quiet in here at the minute.

Perhaps most folk have been through this enough times to have all queries answered or maybe they're more security conscious. Who knows?

Normally after the results from the various sections arrive you get an influx of noobs. This seems to apply all the way through to intake calls.

I started as a lurker but then couldn't help myself so signed up and started posting lol

Best of luck to those waiting to do their IST :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Pmac773

Have my IST soon enough, getting quite nervous for it to be completely honest! Hopefully do the business and get through to AC, won't be getting my hopes up though!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Life_On_Mars

As a newbie to this forum, I'm also looking forward to the IST and really enjoying looking at everybody at the various stages of the application process and their rollercoaster of emotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Queenie34

Did my IST last week. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be! Made it to AC last campaign but missed passed mark by 2 points so really hoping I get another crack at it. I'll be better prepared this time!! Good luck to everyone who has to do the IST yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭azure

I did it a few weeks ago for the first time. I think I did ok on the grammar and verbal reasoning. It was the numerical reasoning that I hadn't a clue about. I guessed every answer for it! Its just the timing that makes it hard.

As a newbie to this forum, I'm also looking forward to the IST and really enjoying looking at everybody at the various stages of the application process and their rollercoaster of emotions.

I don't think the IST is too bad. The AC is the big problem lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭azure

Timetravel wrote: »
    I don't think the IST is too bad. The AC is the big problem lol
    It depends. If your interpersonal skills are better than your analytical skills, then AC should be easier.

azure wrote: »
    It depends. If your interpersonal skills are better than your analytical skills, then AC should be easier.

It should, but I think everyone finds it tough to be honest. The IST is straightforward but the AC is not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Midgetgem84

It's different for everyone in my opinion. I found the IST alot harder than the AC

I found the AC ok tbh I passed the role plays with 2 bs and 1 c. It was the last section that I messed up and lost a heap of points. Really hope I pass Ist to give it another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

Queenie34 wrote: »
    I found the AC ok tbh I passed the role plays with 2 bs and 1 c. It was the last section that I messed up and lost a heap of points. Really hope I pass Ist to give it another go.

I was the same, found the first two sections went pretty well....the last section though. Finished it, and just thought to myself 'You messed this up pretty well...Kudos Man..Kudos'

My last AC seemed to follow a similar pattern. I started poorly, did well in the middle and ended in disaster.

To summarise I peaked too early! :rolleyes: :pac::pac:

Would any of you prepare for the AC? I did a lot of work for it last time and it didn't work. I was well below the pass percentage. I seem to do better on IST when a do just a bit of prep for it too.

Timetravel wrote: »
    Would any of you prepare for the AC? I did a lot of work for it last time and it didn't work. I was well below the pass percentage. I seem to do better on IST when a do just a bit of prep for it too.

Yes I think prep for the AC is a must. For those of us who have been there, we know now what to expect and we should use this to our benefit. Study your feedback scores and work on the areas you didn't do so well in. Fingers crossed we all get a second chance ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Daisy76

Hi Everyone,

First time poster here. I have my IST next week. I wasn't nervous until I read the comments on here lol! How long do you get for the IST?

• Advertisement

Daisy76 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

First time poster here. I have my IST next week. I wasn't nervous until I read the comments on here lol! How long do you get for the IST?

Not long enough lol. You'll be fine. Good luck

Advertisement