Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Applying to join the Police Service of Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭PandaPants

DownMTBer wrote: »
    I believe PSNI actually run courses themselves as it happens... but, they are not advertised at all. I only know about them because I know a load of people in PSNI. And my landlord used to run them before he retired from PSNI.

Ooooh, I might have a go myself if I don't get in this time. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Chelsea555

PandaPants wrote: »
    Ooooh, I might have a go myself if I don't get in this time. lol

Count me in too;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Lynx655

I dont see it that way pandapants if you can be prepared for a situation why not take advantage. I did well in all parts of my previous A/C scoring between 7 and 9 on each of the criteria apart from one; as I see it I obviously have a weakness that needs addressing. So to call trying to better prepare myself for a situation cheating is I think missing the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭ciaran2008

MrFug wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there is training in Belfast somewhere. I believe I read it somewhere a while back. Can't remember where though sorry.

Have you tried the books available? Some are quite good. I bought one called 'The New Police Selection System' which explains about the competencies and how to apply them to the different parts of the assessment centre. There is also a few things available from howtobecome.com that can be quite useful. If you do get these, you should not that they refer to the system in England and wales mainly. For example, the interview is all about past experiences whereas in N Ireland the interview is hypothetical. I would investigate those before spending lots of money of training.

Hey,

I was going to take coaching from http://www.notomatoes.co.uk/index.php but they charge £300 so I thought I'd do the a/c without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Maura2145

Hey Ciaran - how did u find the AC without help?

• Advertisement

Maura2145 wrote: »
    Hey Ciaran - how did u find the AC without help?

I found it ok. I scored in the 50's so I am happy. £300 is rip-off def not worth it!!:eek:

ciaran2008 wrote: »
    I found it ok. I scored in the 50's so I am happy. £300 is rip-off def not worth it!!:eek:

How much???? def not worth it!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 TOWNBOSS

ciaran2008 wrote: »

Sorry Ciaran but i beg to differ.........:mad::mad:
    I did use the services of notomatoes and i have no doubt that without doing so my merit number would have been much higher. I also know 2 other candidates who freely admit they would have been scr**** without it. David offers an exceptionally professional and pertinent service and is always accessible to answer queries. I still regularly speak with him. And by the way, £300 is a small price to pay to give yourself the best possible chance to make the cut for the career you have always wanted. How much does it cost to educate the average third level student??? :confused::confused:

Furthermore, if you dont make the cut half your fee is returned. ;):D

TOWNBOSS wrote: »
    I did use the services of notomatoes and i have no doubt that without doing so my merit number would have been much higher. I also know 2 other candidates who freely admit they would have been scr**** without it. David offers an exceptionally professional and pertinent service and is always accessible to answer queries. I still regularly speak with him. And by the way, £300 is a small price to pay to give yourself the best possible chance to make the cut for the career you have always wanted. How much does it cost to educate the average third level student??? :confused::confused:

I do agree Townboss with what you say but you would like a high score in the merit pool wouldnt you for £300??:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Ali08

Chelsea555 wrote: »
    I do agree Townboss with what you say but you would like a high score in the merit pool wouldnt you for £300??:D;)
    The lower the merit score the better I think :).

• Advertisement

Ali08 wrote: »
    The lower the merit score the better I think :).

Ahem pardon me a low merit score as correctly pointed out by Ali08 !!;)

I am well content Chelsea with the value i got for my £300!:D

And i am known as a bit of a skinflint!;)

I am well content Chelsea with the value i got for my £300!:D

And i am known as a bit of a skinflint!;)

There cant be two of us (skinflints) so you can recommend that it is money well spent?? Did it get you a low merit score then??:D:D

There cant be two of us (skinflints) so you can recommend that it is money well spent?? Did it get you a low merit score then??:D:D

The best £300 i have ever spent, seriously!:cool:
    I am in the 300s by the way, RC and only vetting outstanding.
    Even if it only improves your A/C score by, say, one point on each of the seven competencies (and it will) surely the ensuing improvement in your merit number is value enough? :confused:
    What price would anyone in this God-forsaken process put on having a merit number of, say, 100 better than their current number??!!?!?!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

There's a thread in itself, Chelsea!:D

The best £300 i have ever spent, seriously!:cool:
    I am in the 300s by the way, RC and only vetting outstanding.
    Even if it only improves your A/C score by, say, one point on each of the seven competencies (and it will) surely the ensuing improvement in your merit number is value enough? :confused:
    What price would anyone in this God-forsaken process put on having a merit number of, say, 100 better than their current number??!!?!?!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

There's a thread in itself, Chelsea!:D
    Now yer talking Townboss maybe we should start one!!;)

Now yer talking Townboss maybe we should start one!!;)

So much for that thread Chelsea!!!!:(:(:mad:

I took Morri's advice today and sent an e-mail to the policing board. It just outlines the general frustrations of our fellow boardies and seeks some clarification, esp regarding intake dates... :cool:;)

Most likely nothing will come of it but God loves a trier! :D

Its good to hear from someone who done the course. I just thought £300 was a bit stiff but if it comes this highly rec I would absolutley consider it next year if I dont get the call this time.

Btw. . well done on writing the letter to the policing board. Maybe if a few more of us done the same stating our UID numbers etc on the letters they might take it serious.

Hope they get back to you for all our sakes. :D:D

So much for that thread Chelsea!!!!:(:(:mad:

I took Morri's advice today and sent an e-mail to the policing board. It just outlines the general frustrations of our fellow boardies and seeks some clarification, esp regarding intake dates... :cool:;)

Most likely nothing will come of it but God loves a trier! :D
    Did you get the pm i sent you???:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

Did you get the pm i sent you???:confused:

No?

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ifaughthelaw

No problem! ;)
    HI INSPECTOR IM INTERESTED IN JOINING PSNI WONDERING IS THERE A COURSE I CAN DO TO ASSIST ME IN MY APPLICATION.THERE ARE AFEW DIFFERNT COURSES DOWN SOUTH PEOPLE CAN DO TO GET INTO THE GARDAI.I AM A GARDA RESERVE BUT TOO OLD FOR REGULAR GARDAI JOB.

• Advertisement

Hey.
    Please check the previous page as it contains some info on courses to help you with your application. "notomatoes.co.uk" are the guys to contact, David Stewart is your man. First class. ;):cool:
    PS Good luck with it!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dark side

Hi all - discovered this forum a few days ago while searching on the intenet for psni recruitment...

I'm really intereseted in applying for the next campaign and have had a good look through all the threads

however I come from a nationalist area and would be quiet well known in the area where I live -- so basically what I'm asking is that if succesful in my application would I be based somewhere far away from were I come from and would I be safer moving to a new area - rather than going to and from work from my own town?

any advice would be greatly appriciated - also I had a look through the vetting thread and I have a few recent defaults on my credit file which would be settled by the time I applied and would have no debt bar student loans -- would my application be rejected at the vetting stage because of this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MORRI

dark side wrote: »
    Hi all - discovered this forum a few days ago while searching on the intenet for psni recruitment...

I'm really intereseted in applying for the next campaign and have had a good look through all the threads

however I come from a nationalist area and would be quiet well known in the area where I live -- so basically what I'm asking is that if succesful in my application would I be based somewhere far away from were I come from and would I be safer moving to a new area - rather than going to and from work from my own town?

any advice would be greatly appriciated - also I had a look through the vetting thread and I have a few recent defaults on my credit file which would be settled by the time I applied and would have no debt bar student loans -- would my application be rejected at the vetting stage because of this??
    If i were you i would think about moving or at least working in a different district you can go on the psni website and see the layout of districts and dcu's, not sure about the credit thing the only way to find out is to give it a go!;)

MORRI wrote: »
    If i were you i would think about moving or at least working in a different district you can go on the psni website and see the layout of districts and dcu's, not sure about the credit thing the only way to find out is to give it a go!;)

thanks for that MORRI --- I would definately want to work in a different district -- With regards to moving home I suppose it would be better to wait to closer the time and hopefully making it through and speak to some people in the same situation.

Think I will give it a go if I'm let down by the credit thing at least I'll will give me an idea of what to expect and when would be a good time to reapply -- thats assuming I pass the initital test then the assessment centre LOL

have many of you boardies got through on your first attempt?

Me. :D
    I don't think it's that common though.
    I'm just great, you see. And very modest too. :D:D:D

My boyfriend knows 2 guys who got in first time too. They are in training now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

I did too!

Well done Panda Pants and Inspector 71 :)

will be looking out for your posts on how your trainning is going :p

Well done Panda Pants and Inspector 71 :)

will be looking out for your posts on how your trainning is going :p

Judging from our predecessors I doubt we will have time. :rolleyes:

I spend about 10 hours a day on the internet when I've the time, I'm going to miss it in hotel G. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 newapplicant

Hi,

Would anyone have any idea re: answers to the following?

1. Does your education/qualifications or previous work experience have any bearing in the PSNI recruitment process for new officers?

2. How many people typically make it into the "merit pool" and accordingly, how many people are let go at this stage?

3. How are the various stages marked? (for example, is it marks out of 10? Percentages etc?)

4. On an average year, what marks are typically required to make it into the top 240 (I understand this is roughly the number of candidates who finally make it into the PSNI from each campaign)

5. Is there usually only one recruitment campaign per annum?

Thanks and best wishes for the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

1. Does your education/qualifications or previous work experience have any bearing in the PSNI recruitment process for new officers?
    No

2. How many people typically make it into the "merit pool" and accordingly, how many people are let go at this stage?
    I've heard of merit numbers of over 800 so at least 800 people. I'm sure somebody on here will have a more precise figure.

3. How are the various stages marked? (for example, is it marks out of 10? Percentages etc?)
    You need to score above a certain mark and that mark varies depending on what stage you are doing i.e apptitude test, roleplays etc.

4. On an average year, what marks are typically required to make it into the top 240 (I understand this is roughly the number of candidates who finally make it into the PSNI from each campaign)
    Not sure but the number is higher, its somewhere in the region of 440.

5. Is there usually only one recruitment campaign per annum?
    Yeah only 1. There used to be 2 but this was reduced a few years ago.

Advertisement