Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Applying to join the Police Service of Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 newapplicant

Thanks a lot - very helpful answers.

One more question came to mind if you have any thoughts...

Are many people eliminated prior to the assessment centre stage? (i.e as a result of their application or initial selection test?)

cheers again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lethal

Hey,
    Has anyone heard if C15 is definate this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Chelsea555

lethal wrote: »
    Hey,
    Has anyone heard if C15 is definate this year?

Lethal now that is the big question keep an eye on the consensia website but as far as i know its around march / april time hope that helps you out:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 newapplicant

Ditto, I'm pretty sure its this Spring mate i.e. March/April time

Ditto, I'm pretty sure its this Spring mate i.e. March/April time

Roll on;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 valetudo

I want to apply in the next recruitment drive, never done so before. Can anyone explain a few things to me?

1) Do you only do the fitness test ie running a few miles once you are accepted into the training course and passed all the initial application stages?

2) Can you be rejected if you had aunts or uncles who previously served time because of the troubles? But have had zero convictions yourself?

3) How exactly does the merit pool work? How is your score assessed, what is a good score? Being a RC does this make much difference?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Mark63

To answer:

1) No fitness test at all before starting the training. The basic steps are application then IST then Assessment Centre then vetting and medical. Have to pass PCT and other fitness tests during the training.

2) Honestly don't know where they draw the line. Given the whole focus of the PSNI is trying to better represent the community there would have to be some leeway. The only thing that I saw in the guidelines were about offences you might have committed yourself and what would be a no no.

As far as I recall (only a few months back) I didn't have to give any details of aunts and uncles (just mother, father, brothers, sisters, partner and same for the partner). That said obviously the police might take other things into account.

3) Merit pool is a ranking you get along with all other people who pass through the assesment centre. From reading the posts here I think about 7,000 applied and the merit pool went to at least 1200-1300 - based primarily, as far as we know, on your results at the Assessment Centre. 1 is the best and the higher the number the further down the list you are.

Generally 440 recruits are taken on during the year in 9/10 batches. Under current policy half of the recruits must be Catholic and half non Catholic (big debate about whether that is fair or not but let's not go there). So that means of the 1000+ plus people onn the merit list, the top 220 RC and the top 220 non-RC should get places.

It's not as straightforward as this because some people will fail the medical or vetting and some people might have changed their mind along the way. Also a fair number of people didn't bother turning up for the medicals during this campaign. So more than the top 220 in each category will get offers.

Eventhough there has been a huge increase in the number of RC's applying there would still be significantly more non RCs. What this means is that if you are RC and get in the top 440 you are virtually guaranteed a place subject to medical and vetting. Realistically because less than half the applicants would be RC you are probably pretty assured down as far as 650-700. From what people on the boards here say if you are non RC it could go either way beyond 350. So being an RC helps you in the pecking order but remember all people on the merit list have met the requirements. I think this is going to change in a couple of years back to a single list.

Lots of people on here know more than me but just thought I'd stick up by thoughts...

ing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 TOWNBOSS

Bravo Mark!:cool:
    You can now rightly be referred to as one of the "jedi" boardies!:)
    Right up there with Morri, Inspector and Carlty after that synopsis....
    Really sound assessment of the whole process... you almost made it seem straightfoward again.....as if!:D

By the way, welcome to our world pilgrim!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 valetudo

Thanks for the response. Something else I would like to know if you don't mind.

Say for talks sake the applications are out in Mar/Apr time and I apply then. If I was fortunate enough to get accepted at all stages what would be the earliest time that I could be told I was starting.

I am just curious as I am getting married in July with honeymoon leading into August and I understand that once training starts there are is no time off until completion except for a one week period.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 TOWNBOSS

valetudo wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. Something else I would like to know if you don't mind.

Say for talks sake the applications are out in Mar/Apr time and I apply then. If I was fortunate enough to get accepted at all stages what would be the earliest time that I could be told I was starting.

I am just curious as I am getting married in July with honeymoon leading into August and I understand that once training starts there are is no time off until completion except for a one week period.

Thanks.

Going by how things panned out for C14 i think it was November/December before our first intake so it certainly won't impinge on your honeymoon!!:D

Nonetheless during July and August it will be highly probable that you will hit Assessment Centre dates and/or possibly medical dates. However, going by what has been discussed on our gospel here, these can be changed/rearranged in such circumstances as yours. :)

So stop panicking now... and good luck with it all! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Mark63

TOWNBOSS wrote: »
    Really sound assessment of the whole process... you almost made it seem straightfoward again.....as if!:D

Select company that!! Comes from spending time in the waiting room ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

TOWNBOSS wrote: »

I'm a "jedi" boardy?! Awesome! The (police) force is strong in this one. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MORRI

tut I thought of myself as more of a Sith Lord than a big softy Jedi, but if I am a Jedi I bagsy not being Yoda or a bloody Ewok

maul1.jpg
    Thats me, so wear your seat belt in future!

Mark63 wrote: »
    Select company that!! Comes from spending time in the waiting room ...

No. It comes from spending way too much time in the waiting room.

I can't speak for Morri or Inspector, but I really need to get out more. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gilliand1508

hi,

i am currently serving in the met, and i would like information on transferring. I have over 6 years service.

many thanks

hi,

i am currently serving in the met, and i would like information on transferring. I have over 6 years service.

many thanks

I'm not sure how it works for Sergeants and above, but "everyone from civvies to Constables serving with other forces have to apply and get selected in the same way (serving Constables will have their existing pay scale and pension contributions recognised etc if/when they are selected for the PSNI)." *

Apparently Constables joining PSNI are fast-tracked through training (5 week course).

* Courtesy of Rickster on the UKPOLICEONLINE Discussion Forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 leisuretime

I've a question, I hope its in the right place.

It's about the 50/50 recuritment policy.

Where would I fit in, I am a RC, but as I am not from Northern Ireland I am not able to tick either the Non RC or RC box on the application form, my background would not lace me in either cultural area,
    Instead I am an Other.

In this circumstance how do thepowers that be allocate me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭DownMTBer

Where would I fit in, I am a RC, but as I am not from Northern Ireland I am not able to tick either the Non RC or RC box on the application form, my background would not lace me in either cultural area,
    Instead I am an Other.

You are classed as either RC or non RC...

If you are not RC then you are a non RC and if you are RC you are RC...

This seems to apply no matter where you are from since being CofE I felt i shoud have put 'other' on my forms too, however if you put other they decide which you are based on your background and history... and I come out as a non RC obviously :)

To be honest anyhow, without meaning to touch on a difficult subject too much, you'll do yourself a favour by putting RC if you actually are. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 leisuretime

Thanks,

Already ticked the other box, But i guess they will look at it once my vetting and med is passed.

Just got to hold out for the vetting to be finished, then scrap though the Medical, attend the training and get over the physical side , then deal with the acadmic side, sounds so easy?

And thats if my merit (<350) number works in my favour,

Do you ever wish you had listened in school!!

Thanks,

Already ticked the other box, But i guess they will look at it once my vetting and med is passed.

Just got to hold out for the vetting to be finished, then scrap though the Medical, attend the training and get over the physical side , then deal with the acadmic side, sounds so easy?

And thats if my merit (<350) number works in my favour,

Do you ever wish you had listened in school!!

There was a guy from England on this site a few months ago who said that because he was from somewhere other than Northern Ireland, he was automatically grouped in with non-RC, even though he was an RC. I've also heard that this is the case with Polish applicants, who, for the most part, are RC.

I believe the origninal idea of 50:50 was to facilitate getting more recruits coming from Northern Ireland's RC community.

Now, I haven't seen this in writing, so take it with a pinch of salt. :D

Someone else may be in a better place to confirm or deny this.

Either way (RC/non-RC), your merit number could still be good enough to get you in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dark side

does the results of the initial selection test count towards your merit score?

dark side wrote: »
    does the results of the initial selection test count towards your merit score?

The pass mark for the A/C is about 50. The maximum marks available is 70. This means over 1000 people seperated by 20 marks!!!

The IST scores and the number of times you've applied (allegedly) are therefore used to order us into the merit list that we all know and love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Ali08

carlty888 wrote: »
    There was a guy from England on this site a few months ago who said that because he was from somewhere other than Northern Ireland, he was automatically grouped in with non-RC, even though he was an RC. I've also heard that this is the case with Polish applicants, who, for the most part, are RC.

I believe the origninal idea of 50:50 was to facilitate getting more recruits coming from Northern Ireland's RC community.

Now, I haven't seen this in writing, so take it with a pinch of salt. :D
    I wonder how long you'd have to live in NI to be considered a citizen worthy of a background check then? Or is that only for applicants currently living in another country? Can you apply if you still live in another country? Just wondrin :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ifaughthelaw

psni wrote: »
    The Police Service of Northern Ireland recruit often. Post your questions, answers, comments, information, advice or experiences here.
    can anyone tell me when is the police recruitment starting will
    consencia advertise or do i keep checkin there web site .i sent them a
    email but got no replying can anyone help me?

Instead I am an Other.

I think this answers that question
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/boost-for-catholics-as-1000-poles-aim-for-psni-59046.html

and Ali you can apply and be living elsewhere but you must meet the
    Nationality Qualifications
    Section 2(2)a of the Police (Recruitment) Northern Ireland (Amendment) regulations 2003 state that a qualified candidate means an applicant for appointment to the police:

"who if not a national of a State which is a contracting Party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area signed at Oporto on 2 May 1992 as adjusted by the protocol signed in Brussels on 17 March 1993, must have leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom for an indefinite period."

The current members of the European Economic Area are Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria*, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania*, Slovenia, Slovak Republic, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.

* Applicants from Bulgaria and Romania do not have the automatic right to work in the United Kingdom. For further information please visit the Home Office website www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk.

For nationals who are not members of the States within the European Economic Area, documentary evidence of the right to enter, or remain, in the United Kingdom for an indefinite period must be supplied. This may only be supplied in the following format:

 a photocopy of a passport or other travel document endorsed to show that the person named is exempt from immigration control, has indefinite leave to enter, or remain in, the United Kingdom or has no time limit on his or her stay; or a letter issued by the Home Office confirming that the person named has such status.

If your application is successful you will be required to produce the original document for inspection prior to being offered employment.

:D

can anyone tell me when is the police recruitment starting will
    consencia advertise or do i keep checkin there web site .i sent them a
    email but got no replying can anyone help me?
    just keep checking their site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Ali08

MORRI wrote: »
    I think this answers that question
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/boost-for-catholics-as-1000-poles-aim-for-psni-59046.html

and Ali you can apply and be living elsewhere but you must meet the
    Nationality Qualifications
    Section 2(2)a of the Police (Recruitment) Northern Ireland (Amendment) regulations 2003 state that a qualified candidate means an applicant for appointment to the police:

"who if not a national of a State which is a contracting Party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area signed at Oporto on 2 May 1992 as adjusted by the protocol signed in Brussels on 17 March 1993, must have leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom for an indefinite period."

The current members of the European Economic Area are Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria*, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania*, Slovenia, Slovak Republic, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.

* Applicants from Bulgaria and Romania do not have the automatic right to work in the United Kingdom. For further information please visit the Home Office website www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk.

For nationals who are not members of the States within the European Economic Area, documentary evidence of the right to enter, or remain, in the United Kingdom for an indefinite period must be supplied. This may only be supplied in the following format:

 a photocopy of a passport or other travel document endorsed to show that the person named is exempt from immigration control, has indefinite leave to enter, or remain in, the United Kingdom or has no time limit on his or her stay; or a letter issued by the Home Office confirming that the person named has such status.

If your application is successful you will be required to produce the original document for inspection prior to being offered employment.

:D

Yeah, thats what I was thinkin y'know..

Just got the news today that 5th March is when the PSNI are recruiting again just in case anyone was interested roll on March!!!!!:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Chelsea555 wrote: »
    Just got the news today that 5th March is when the PSNI are recruiting again just in case anyone was interested roll on March!!!!!:D:D:D:D

Brilliant, knew it was March as had been told for def by those in the know and had guessed the 5th going by last year!!

I sooooo cant wait to do the IST all over again....:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭innercitydub1

Hey lads just a few questions

I am currently in university but i plan on becoming a member of the police once i finish.

If i was to apply in march and be accepted could i defer my place until i had finshed my univerity course???

Also would i go in on 4th year pay as i have a degree

Hope someone can help us out

Would be very much appreciated :)

Advertisement