Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Applying to join the Police Service of Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Chelsea555

carlty888 wrote: »
    I know exactly how you feel. Last year I had a merit number that was about 240 places higher than yours and they strung me along until January. :mad: Although, as long as you haven't received a Dear John, there's hope. In the past non-RC's have got in with higher merit numbers than yours, so don't give up just yet. :)

Your right there Carlty888 as long as there is no dear john there is always hope aint there;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭PEGGYSUE'S MAMA

Well folks,

I bit the bullet this morning, am sure the lovely girl at the end of the line could hear my heart pounding! So that's me confirmed as unsuccessful, am not on any of the their lists for a medical date so I know that they are therefore unlikely to proceed any further with little old me!

oh well, them's the breaks eh!

Good luck to everyone else what ever your outcomes maybe.... see the rest of you next year!

PSM xo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

Well folks,

I bit the bullet this morning, am sure the lovely girl at the end of the line could hear my heart pounding! So that's me confirmed as unsuccessful, am not on any of the their lists for a medical date so I know that they are therefore unlikely to proceed any further with little old me!

Good luck to everyone else what ever your outcomes maybe.... see the rest of you next year!

PSM xo

PSM, there will probably be a second batch of medicals at some point before the close of C14. Just because you're not on the current medical list doesn't necessarily mean you won't be . No Dear John = hope. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 downboy

PSM, there will probably be a second batch of medicals at some point before the close of C14. Just because you're not on the current medical list doesn't necessarily mean you won't be . No Dear John = hope. :D

I agree.... I think there'll be a second batch too. They probably don't want to do too many at the start because of the cost.

PSM..What's your merit number, if you don't mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

Well folks,

PSM xo

well done for biting the bullet! but it aint over till its over! im sure your gutted but untill you get the dear john there is still a chance. dont want to try and inspire false hope though.

besides folk are gettin smt results soon apparantly. that might take a few of the 500 who have had their med out of the running. me for one. well good luck either way!

• Advertisement

Anyone see the news tonight!!!!

Hugh Orde has admitted that new officer recruitment maybe suspended due budget f*** ups, well folks just when we thought the waiting couldn't get any worse, ta da!!!!!!
    Thanks to all the irresponsible tw*ts in charge of the book-keeping within the halls of our local government, all of us busting a gut to get into the job we dream of and of course the general public who need a decent police service with reasonable staffing levels to ensure their safety and wellbeing are going to likely be the ones to suffer, not the big eejits who are sitting at home now with their feet up with their big fat wallets filled with tax payers money cushioning their big fat arses! GRRRRRRRRRRR :mad:

Anyone see the news tonight!!!!

Hugh Orde has admitted that new officer recruitment maybe suspended due budget f*** ups, well folks just when we thought the waiting couldn't get any worse, ta da!!!!!!
    Thanks to all the irresponsible tw*ts in charge of the book-keeping within the halls of our local government, all of us busting a gut to get into the job we dream of and of course the general public who need a decent police service with reasonable staffing levels to ensure their safety and wellbeing are going to likely be the ones to suffer, not the big eejits who are sitting at home now with their feet up with their big fat wallets filled with tax payers money cushioning their big fat arses! GRRRRRRRRRRR :mad:

Does anyone know if this will affect the current campaign, or is it more likely to only affect future campaigns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

Does anyone know if this will affect the current campaign, or is it more likely to only affect future campaigns?

Same question is on my mind big time!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Ali08

someone posted in the waitin room thread that it was over the next 5 months but i didnt hear that on the news but then again i was in shock.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

I doubt it would affect this campaign. Can you imagine the outcry after spending so much money on recruitment for this campaign to suddenly stop it dead!

I really hope it doesn't end up like the reserves/part-time force. Where recruitment campaigns are very few and far between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

A cop mate of mine told me about the 'cuts' last night. Broke my heart to hear the chief say it though!!:(:eek::mad::(

MrFug wrote: »
    I doubt it would affect this campaign. Can you imagine the outcry after spending so much money on recruitment for this campaign to suddenly stop it dead!

I really hope it doesn't end up like the reserves/part-time force. Where recruitment campaigns are very few and far between.

Yes they have spent a fortune on recruitment, but can they afford to spend another fortune on training 440 new recruits?!

As integra said, it'll be heart-breaking to come this far and get dumped because of this.

If they have to save £24million before April 2009 I'd say that C14 is likely to be suspended and likely C15 too then, bloody joke this whole process is....the homecoming parade security bill came to 300k alone, where do they pluck these huge sums of money from? Unreal!

Of course now that Operation Banner is over, all the unlimited funds being pumped into the various security forces budgets by westminster has dried up, hence cut backs, no overtime (and believe me I know all about this, am struggling big time because of it!!!!), no allowances, don't use paper if you don't need it, do you really need a new stapler/hole punch!!!!!!!! BLOODY DISGRACE! And yes I am using capitals, as I is cross!!!!!:mad:

Maybe the PSNI shouldn't have banked in Iceland!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

If they have to save £24million before April 2009 I'd say that C14 is likely to be suspended and likely C15 too then, bloody joke this whole process is....the homecoming parade security bill came to 300k alone, where do they pluck these huge sums of money from? Unreal!

Of course now that Operation Banner is over, all the unlimited funds being pumped into the various security forces budgets by westminster has dried up, hence cut backs, no overtime (and believe me I know all about this, am struggling big time because of it!!!!), no allowances, don't use paper if you don't need it, do you really need a new stapler/hole punch!!!!!!!! BLOODY DISGRACE! And yes I am using capitals, as I is cross!!!!!:mad:

Not the capitals again PGS. You were doing so well! Dont go back down that route again hon. Stay strong and focused!:)

Not the capitals again PGS. You were doing so well! Dont go back down that route again hon. Stay strong and focused!:)

Ha ha I knew you were on, that was purely for your benefit mate!!!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Fo

gutted :(

If the cutbacks are effective immediately, what do they do? Do they postpone C15 and recruit from C14 over a longer period of time, or does C14 get wiped out? It would surely be a waste of money to wipe out C14 after spending all the money and time on recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

:D!!

In all seriousness, these things will work themselves out. Hopefully you wont have to wait too long. Keep the faith, this will play out for some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

In the words of Obama "while we breath, we will hope" a little sappy but it fits applying for a job in the PSNI! Then again what other monumental occasion in history will we witness before they sort this bleedin' mess out? :rolleyes:

I feel for ya's, I really do.

it is a big waste of money to stop now after all the ist's, ac's, vettings and meds mostly finished...but this letter we keep hearing about that says we wont know before sept 2009 if you will be accepted as the chief doesn't know how many appointments being made, so 440 recruits could be out the window, no???:eek: so worried now!

• Advertisement

If the cutbacks are effective immediately, what do they do? Do they postpone C15 and recruit from C14 over a longer period of time, or does C14 get wiped out? It would surely be a waste of money to wipe out C14 after spending all the money and time on recruitment.

It'd make too much sense to not wipe out C14, which means they likely will! I have a 7yr old neice who could run things much better than they are at the minute!

Maybe these letters going out saying that Mr Orde is unable to confirm/offer a job until Sept 2009 is down to the penny pinching, could be happening already and we wouldn't know!

Does it seem likely then that 50/50 is going to have to be extended beyond 2011, I think the news report seemed to imply that?

Maybe these letters going out saying that Mr Orde is unable to confirm/offer a job until Sept 2009 is down to the penny pinching, could be happening already and we wouldn't know!

It is a little ironic!

integra1 wrote: »

Aye I know mate. And there's a little niggle in the back of my mind that "we will have to consider our number of officers and how many we recruit in the next six months" as Sir Hugh Orde put it, may affect those about to start training! Or am I being extremely cynical?

JVB wrote: »
    Aye I know mate. And there's a little niggle in the back of my mind that "we will have to consider our number of officers and how many we recruit in the next six months" as Sir Hugh Orde put it, may affect those about to start training! Or am I being extremely cynical?

I think the November intake will be fine. People will have quit their jobs etc, so I'd be surprised if the intake got cancelled.

I think the November intake will be fine. People will have quit their jobs etc, so I'd be surprised if the intake got cancelled.

I'm sure you're right mate. They would have a lot of legal cases if they turned 54 people away from a job we have a contract for :). I am worried what the future holds though for current/new applicants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭DownMTBer

Serisouly, I am so annoyed!!! What's the craic!!?? they pump many 10's of millions of pounds, what was it? 7 billion? into a banking system screwed up by greedy big wigs and yet they can't find just 20 million to support a police force maintaining its required size!?!?!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭squirrel81

The PSNI and the policing board will have known about this shortfall for a while, its not as as if they realised one morning that £27 mill had gone offski. If it was that much of a penultimate situation that they were even thinking of suspending recruitment, why would have continued with medicals, drug testing etc? Those things cost big bucks!

However, the pessimistic squirrel is thinking that they might well cut the number of appointments made. There was a big clue in a letter posted on the boards yesterday and it mentioned how there was uncertainty over the number of intakes for C14.

How pis*ed off would everyone be??? :eek::(

• Advertisement

The C14 intakes will go ahead as planned. I spoke with External Appointments today and they told me that this would not affect Campaign 14. Only future campaigns. They also told me that calls would be going out in the next week or two.

Advertisement