Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Applying to join the Police Service of Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

That's good news Carlty. Well done for being the boards asscoiation rep :p

Hopefully that will put a lot of folks minds at ease :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭DownMTBer

JVB wrote: »
    That's good news Carlty. Well done for being the boards asscoiation rep :p

Hopefully that will put a lot of folks minds at ease :)

Yeah good shout mate... cheers! :)

squirrel81 wrote: »
    ... If it was that much of a penultimate situation that they were even thinking of suspending recruitment, why would have continued with medicals, drug testing etc? Those things cost big bucks!

I know what you mean Squirrel but an indication that a company is in trouble is when it starts spending big! How many times do you hear of a large company going under just after it's announced a major investment programmme or replaced it's fleet of vehicles! The PSNI would continue to operate as normal until the day the bean counters call a halt to it all.

But the good news from Carlty is a relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Sadie OOO!!!

phew!!!!!!!!!!! i threw the towel in yesterday when i heard the report on bbc. but just cause recruitment say were safe doesnt mean nothing as if the money runs out who is going to pay the wages.

Currently Active Users 20 (13 members & 7 guests)
    JVB, demag, DownMTBer, lolli-j, surfrunner, PandaPants, carlty888, shelleyelley, nagero, PEGGYSUE'S MAMA, Sadie OOO!!!, waawaa, owen1976

Have we no lives?!? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭lolli-j

Thanks Carlty :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭surfrunner

Cheers Carlty. Yep....No Life!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think that the goverment will step in with the money. because of the unique situation here in this country the goverment and politicians cant afford to allow this to happen and once again go back to deadlock. in 2001 the patton report/50:50 was introduced so they cant go back on this now. at the end of the day these goverments have troops in other countries fighting wars that have nothing to do with them and spending millions doing it but there prepared to let home security lapse.

A trivial fact for you; the USA spend 1/3 of their GDP on armed forces. The UK spends only a few percent on their troops and almost 1/3 of theirs on benefits!!!

This map below looks at public expenditure in each of the UK nations and regions as a proportion of the GDP in that area. Basically, it's the relationship between how much a region gets from the state against how much they contribute.

public_spending_432_alt2.gif

Note NI has a high percentage. Westminster will have!

And NI wants policing powers devolved to Stormont. Please! This is a government who can't even agree where to build a national sports stadium!!!

Have I gone off topic? :D

A trivial fact for you; the USA spend 1/3 of their GDP on armed forces. The UK spends only a few percent on their troops and almost 1/3 of theirs on benefits!!!

This map below looks at public expenditure in each of the UK nations and regions as a proportion of the GDP in that area. Basically, it's the relationship between how much a region gets from the state against how much they contribute.

public_spending_432_alt2.gif

Note NI has a high percentage. Westminster will have!

And NI wants policing powers devolved to Stormont. Please! This is a government who can't even agree where to build a national sports stadium!!!

Have I gone off topic? :D

lol. i know they are a joke hi. wish i hadnt of started this. OBAMA FOR 1ST MINISTER!!!!!!!!!! and barney the dinosaur for deputy first minister lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭PEGGYSUE'S MAMA

lol. i know they are a joke hi. wish i hadnt of started this. OBAMA FOR 1ST MINISTER!!!!!!!!!! and barney the dinosaur for deputy first minister lol.

no not Obama and barney, bill and ted, at least then everything would be " most copiously excellent!!":D

Harry and Lloyd from Dumb & Dumber all the way ...

"We got no food, no jobs ... our pet's heads are falling off!" :D:D:D Hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

carlty888 wrote: »
    The C14 intakes will go ahead as planned. I spoke with External Appointments today and they told me that this would not affect Campaign 14. Only future campaigns. They also told me that calls would be going out in the next week or two.

Good lad, cheers....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭PandaPants

JVB, demag, DownMTBer, lolli-j, surfrunner, PandaPants, carlty888, shelleyelley, nagero, PEGGYSUE'S MAMA, Sadie OOO!!!, waawaa, owen1976

Have we no lives?!? ;)

I have a "career" I have no time for a life.... :D:D

Have we no lives?!? ;)

I work in research...this is research lol;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

Have we no lives?!? ;)

Well? Did you expect anything different?! :D

(We're PSNI Recruitment Nerds!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Chelsea555

Hi guys have read the report it doesnt sound good for anybody going for C15 does it, do we reckon they will postpone recruiting next year or wait till April 09 when they get their new budget any theories on this would be great thanks!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭ciaran2008

Chelsea555 wrote: »
    Hi guys have read the report it doesnt sound good for anybody going for C15 does it, do we reckon they will postpone recruiting next year or wait till April 09 when they get their new budget any theories on this would be great thanks!!:confused:

I doubt they will postpone recruitment (C15). I would assume they have contracts with all of the private recruitment agencies which make up the consensia partnership.

I wouldn't say they could just 'suspend' recruitment

It seems like no time ago since I was filling out an application and now I’ve done everything and it looks as though I’m probably about to do it all again

Anyway in my area at least the local chief superintendent is holding 'consultations' about the future of a number of rural police stations which are definitely worth quite a few million so I'm sure they can pull that extra bit of money out of somewhere.

I know when I was doing my medical the drug testing guy said that it costs over £100 to drug test each candidate so assuming it costs £100 that’s a total of £48,000. I would doubt they would spend that money if they aren’t in a position to offer employment.

sorry if I waffled on a wee bit there. .
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Chelsea555

ciaran2008 wrote: »
    I doubt they will postpone recruitment (C15). I would assume they have contracts with all of the private recruitment agencies which make up the consensia partnership.

I wouldn't say they could just 'suspend' recruitment

It seems like no time ago since I was filling out an application and now I’ve done everything and it looks as though I’m probably about to do it all again

Anyway in my area at least the local chief superintendent is holding 'consultations' about the future of a number of rural police stations which are definitely worth quite a few million so I'm sure they can pull that extra bit of money out of somewhere.

I know when I was doing my medical the drug testing guy said that it costs over £100 to drug test each candidate so assuming it costs £100 that’s a total of £48,000. I would doubt they would spend that money if they aren’t in a position to offer employment.

sorry if I waffled on a wee bit there. .
    :cool:

Hope your right mate, C15 cant come soon enough;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭squirrel81

Just found this this on the NIPB site, 10 grand :eek: thats some whack of money.

Does the Policing Board feel that the recruitment cost of £10,000 per officer is value for money?
    Given the importance of the task that individuals are being recruited to undertake and the potential for them to be in post for between 25 and 30 years the Policing Board is satisfied that a rigorous and sophisticated recruitment process is in place. Such processes are not cheap, but the Policing Board is confident that a good recruitment process is an investment in the long term future not just of the officer but of the police service as whole.
    As with all processes, the need to achieve both efficiency and effectiveness is of paramount importance and all opportunities to ensure that the best outcome is achieved in the most cost effective way are considered by PSNI who manage the Consensia contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

I think the £10,000 is for recruitment only and doesn't include the cost of training.

440 recruits per year = £4.4m annually sounds about right.

I'd be curious to know how much it costs for the training. Once you consider the uniforms, equipment, residence, food, training material, trainer time etc. I'm sure it adds up to quite a sum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

never mind the actual recruitment process itself. that would be a bit steep aswell. man power, costs for the stuffs too. they obviously put a banging donk on it!

donk... 'thats good that Tony' :D Love that wee tune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

haha. ive listened to it about 20 times this morning. the guinea pigs are ****ting themselves downstairs. from the donk donk donk haha. its a lethal song.

great minds think alike lol.

poor wee guinea pigs, they wont know whats hit em' :D my custody dog loves nothin more than mashin up to a bit of clubland on the box. He goes daft :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Lynx655

Hi I attended assesment centre for the last intake. I got my feedback and had done quite well apart from one area. My question is this while I was there a couple of candidates mentioned that they had some training before hand on a pre assesment course if you like, does anybody know of anyone who runs these courses, I have searched the web and have so far only found ones run in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

Lynx655 wrote: »
    Hi I attended assesment centre for the last intake. I got my feedback and had done quite well apart from one area. My question is this while I was there a couple of candidates mentioned that they had some training before hand on a pre assesment course if you like, does anybody know of anyone who runs these courses, I have searched the web and have so far only found ones run in England.

I'm pretty sure there is training in Belfast somewhere. I believe I read it somewhere a while back. Can't remember where though sorry.

Have you tried the books available? Some are quite good. I bought one called 'The New Police Selection System' which explains about the competencies and how to apply them to the different parts of the assessment centre. There is also a few things available from howtobecome.com that can be quite useful. If you do get these, you should not that they refer to the system in England and wales mainly. For example, the interview is all about past experiences whereas in N Ireland the interview is hypothetical. I would investigate those before spending lots of money of training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭PandaPants

Is it not kind of cheating to be coached for the a/c?

PandaPants wrote: »

Is it not more like revising? Know a few people who got coaching before doing the a/c and did ok. Although do know a few that it didnt make a bit of difference for!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭DownMTBer

PandaPants wrote: »

I believe PSNI actually run courses themselves as it happens... but, they are not advertised at all. I only know about them because I know a load of people in PSNI. And my landlord used to run them before he retired from PSNI.

Advertisement