Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Applying to join the Police Service of Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

dvc1976 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, Mr Wastage here!!:mad: (again) DOH! anyone else get their "Dear John" yet??

It's not all bad news anyway cos I've just started in another uniformed, disciplined, organisation if you know what I mean!!:D( No difficult choice to make now!)

I guess that also puts paid to the theory of high scores in the AC = early Vet forms. I recieved mine only a week after my AC

Well done to everyone that made the grade!!;) and for others like me, don't worry -everything happens for a reason!!!

You've got Vetting for C14 and had a dear John?
    Am I reading this right. Cos if I am, I am about to sh1t a kitten. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Griffer2

i think i already have!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 dvc1976

yes indeedy do do , I sent off my vet forms mid July...... and received my "Dear John" on Friday just passed.

yes indeedy do do , I sent off my vet forms mid July...... and received my "Dear John" on Friday just passed.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

what was your rough merit number and background if I can be so bold as to ask.

Bl**dy Hell, it'll be like a cattery in here soon.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm an English scumbag!!!!!:D and I dont know about my merit number (SORRY) cos I can't use the phone whilst I'm in training fer me new job!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Chelsea555

Im new to the board and sat my first campaign in 2005 got the whole way thru just to get a dear john so i know how that feels and said never again but im back and going to give it another go in C15 so to all of those who got thru a very well done and to those who didnt this time we will nail it next time;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

carlty888 wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more about that.

I hope my previous comment doesn't appear to be a dig at the 50:50 thing. That wasn't my intention, so I apologise if I've offended anyone. I was just a bit shocked at the spread of the merit scores. Between 1 and 1,000+.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

what was your rough merit number and background if I can be so bold as to ask.

Bl**dy Hell, it'll be like a cattery in here soon.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Early vetting and a Dear John...... MGH, I think one or two of your recently birthed cats are now among the pigeons. :(

Early vetting and a Dear John...... MGH, I think one or two of your recently birthed cats are now among the pigeons. :(

You're telling me. Think I'm for the scrapheap this time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fire6699

hi dvc1976 if you dont mind me askin is it another uniformed job in ni i may be in a similer positiion as yourself i may have got another uniformed job starting in january but i have a medical next week for PSNI

• Advertisement

You're telling me. Think I'm for the scrapheap this time round.

It would've been good to know what his merit number was.

Don't forget, I was in a similar position last year. Early vetting and Dear John. My merit number in C13 was in the 600's (much higher than yours) so dvc1976 could be around the same mark for C14.

You haven't received a Dear John yet! :D

You haven't received a Dear John yet! :D

Aye, YET!!!!

Aye, YET!!!!
    Little Miss Negative, aren't we?! :D

You haven't received a Dear John!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr.Anderson

Aye, YET!!!!

You're not gonna get a "Dear John" either!! Something good has to happen!:D

fire6699 wrote: »
    hi dvc1976 if you dont mind me askin is it another uniformed job in ni i may be in a similer positiion as yourself i may have got another uniformed job starting in january but i have a medical next week for PSNI

Yes it is another uniformed job in NI - and folks, sorry about the lack of merit number- I just cant get it right now, I receive no mobile signal where I am training and the only phone we have access to is always in constant use at break times. ( also I don't want any tutors hearing me phone the PSNI recruitment as they might think I'm not taking my training seriously)
    Hey, look at it positively - at least I'm out of the running for a space this year , that means one more for someone else!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mrsplod

Is there any advantage for potential new recruits who have a degree? Does this give them an edge over non-graduates or is recruitment based solely on performance during the Initial Selection Procedure, role plays, vetting, medical and of course the 50-50 rule?

Also, I know that on the mainland, police forces have a scheme for graduates to be promoted faster. Does this operate in the PSNI? What are the chances of being accepted on to it?

Thanks.

mrsplod wrote: »
    Is there any advantage for potential new recruits who have a degree? Does this give them an edge over non-graduates or is recruitment based solely on performance during the Initial Selection Procedure, role plays, vetting, medical and of course the 50-50 rule?

Also, I know that on the mainland, police forces have a scheme for graduates to be promoted faster. Does this operate in the PSNI? What are the chances of being accepted on to it?

Thanks.

I'm not sure whether or not a degree is of any benefit once you're in, but the initial recruitment to the PSNI is based solely on your performance at the IST, Assessment Centre, medical and vetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭pb999

being a graduate has no benefit whether in the selection process or during your career, every bit of testing is internal so having a degree in whatever isnt advantageous.

i think you're thinking of the high potential development scheme, this has nothing to do with having a degree, if in you show the potential for rapid acceleration through the ranks then you will be given the opportunity whether you have a doctorate or not a gcse to you're name.

Have to agree with carlty888 on this one 100 % the whole process from start to finish is on merit alone it dont matter what you have or dont have;) Ps does anybody happen to know when campaign 15 is kicking off the waiting is killing me though i did hear feb/mar 09????:D

Chelsea555 wrote: »
    Have to agree with carlty888 on this one 100 % the whole process from start to finish is on merit alone it dont matter what you have or dont have;) Ps does anybody happen to know when campaign 15 is kicking off the waiting is killing me though i did hear feb/mar 09????:D

April 09 apparently.

• Advertisement

You have got yo be kidding MrsGeneHunt i heard from a good source it was feb/mar tha shows how much he knows it just keeps getting further away though a friend of mine did phone consensia and was told early new year who knows????????????:(:(:(:(

You have got yo be kidding MrsGeneHunt i heard from a good source it was feb/mar tha shows how much he knows it just keeps getting further away though a friend of mine did phone consensia and was told early new year who knows????????????:(:(:(:(

Well whenever it is, I'm there for sure!:rolleyes:

And me and just a few thousand more of us we will all me there were you in C14 MrsGeneHunt??;)

And me and just a few thousand more of us we will all me there were you in C14 MrsGeneHunt??;)

Yep in C14 but will not get through as merit not good enough for background. Did well for first attempt, dont get me wrong, but just not good enough. Will be able to improve next year I hope and get through next time in C15.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 downboy

fire6699 wrote: »
    Yes it is another uniformed job in NI - and folks, sorry about the lack of merit number- I just cant get it right now, I receive no mobile signal where I am training and the only phone we have access to is always in constant use at break times. ( also I don't want any tutors hearing me phone the PSNI recruitment as they might think I'm not taking my training seriously)
    Hey, look at it positively - at least I'm out of the running for a space this year , that means one more for someone else!!:D

If this is the job I am thinking it is then I wouldn't be too worried about doing what ever possible to get in the psni. You won't be the odd one out by quitting. A family member of mine is one of the BIG bosses there and apparently they are losing staff at a rate of approximately 5 a week!!!!!! who leave to go to other jobs. They are partially blaming this on the recruitment process they have had to adopt, which is giving them a good calibre of staff (so well done guys!) but who aren't adequately prepared for what the job involves. This process is in some ways similar to the psni one and I got a bit of a hard time on one of the other threads by suggesting that the recuitment process wasn't relative enough to the role - i was merely interested to know what the drop out rate was in comparison to mainland forces due to the difference in recruitment processes, because I was shocked at the dropout rate of a, in some aspects, similar uniformed job in NI with a similar recruitment process.

Yep in C14 but will not get through as merit not good enough for background. Did well for first attempt, dont get me wrong, but just not good enough. Will be able to improve next year I hope and get through next time in C15.:rolleyes:

The last time i sat my psni exam was 2004 got the whole way through and got the dear john so i have decided to give it another go in C15 but they do say MrsGeneHunt that you never get in first time so keep at it and you will improve next year and get in C15 hopefully we both will this time!!;)

The last time i sat my psni exam was 2004 got the whole way through and got the dear john so i have decided to give it another go in C15 but they do say MrsGeneHunt that you never get in first time so keep at it and you will improve next year and get in C15 hopefully we both will this time!!;)

To be honest I am totally fed up and would rather have a Dear John at this stage when its blatantly obvious I am not going to get in this time round.

Recruitment need to be more on the ball about letting people know where they stand as its mighty frustrating!

Instead we get a letter saying they may do this and they may do that.

To be honest I am totally fed up and would rather have a Dear John at this stage when its blatantly obvious I am not going to get in this time round.

Recruitment need to be more on the ball about letting people know where they stand as its mighty frustrating!

I know exactly how you feel. Last year I had a merit number that was about 240 places higher than yours and they strung me along until January. :mad: Although, as long as you haven't received a Dear John, there's hope. In the past non-RC's have got in with higher merit numbers than yours, so don't give up just yet. :)

I so know that feeling a dear john dont make it feel any better though i know believe me :( though as i told u last time have heard C15 up in early Feb;)

• Advertisement

I know exactly how you feel. Last year I had a merit number that was about 240 places higher than yours and they strung me along until January. :mad: Although, as long as you haven't received a Dear John, there's hope. In the past non-RC's have got in with higher merit numbers than yours, so don't give up just yet. :)

Cheers mate but its realistically game over especially as medicals seem to be drawing to a close in the near future.

Frustrating. To say the least!!!:p

Advertisement