Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Applying to join the Police Service of Northern Ireland

Options
  • 14-06-2008 1:59pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The Police Service of Northern Ireland recruit often. Post your questions, answers, comments, information, advice or experiences here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lethal

Hi, when is the next recritment process?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Keep an eye on the main newspapers, North and Republic. Recruitment campaigns are anounced in the press or you can look at http://www.selectnipolice.org .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

Probably next April or thereabouts. keep checking for it

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭mhairt

Hi All
    Always wanted to apply for the Gardai, now considering PSNI. I am in a job at the moment and the contract does not finish until December 2009. So was wondering once you apply to the PSNI how long does the entire recruitment process take (assuming you are successful at each stage). Also is 20/20 vision a requirement and if so is laser surgery acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

mhairt wrote: »
    Hi All
    Always wanted to apply for the Gardai, now considering PSNI. I am in a job at the moment and the contract does not finish until December 2009. So was wondering once you apply to the PSNI how long does the entire recruitment process take (assuming you are successful at each stage). Also is 20/20 vision a requirement and if so is laser surgery acceptable?

The next recruitment for the PSNI isn't until Spring 2009. The following link gives you a breakdown of the whole process.

http://www.selectnip.org/indexREGapp.asp?id=app_process.asp

Please note that vetting, for example, can take up to a year to complete.

As for eyesight requirements, you must have Binocular vision 6/6 aided or unaided (if visual aids are used must have 6/12 or better in best eye).

Follow this link for more info; http://www.selectnip.org/indexREGapp.asp?id=app_req.asp

Laser surgery is acceptable, but you have to have had it done well in advance of your medical (6 weeks minimum, I think).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

carlty888 wrote: »
    The next recruitment for the PSNI isn't until Spring 2009. The following link gives you a breakdown of the whole process.

http://www.selectnip.org/indexREGapp.asp?id=app_process.asp

Please note that vetting, for example, can take up to a year to complete.

As for eyesight requirements, you must have Binocular vision 6/6 aided or unaided (if visual aids are used must have 6/12 or better in best eye).

Follow this link for more info; http://www.selectnip.org/indexREGapp.asp?id=app_req.asp

Laser surgery is acceptable, but you have to have had it done well in advance of your medical (6 weeks minimum, I think).

oh poop. i never thought about that. is it acceptable for an officer to wear specs? id better be off to the optitions soon for an eye exam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

"As for eyesight requirements, you must have Binocular vision 6/6 aided or unaided (if visual aids are used must have 6/12 or better in best eye)."

There's you're answer!

"As for eyesight requirements, you must have Binocular vision 6/6 aided or unaided (if visual aids are used must have 6/12 or better in best eye)."

There's you're answer!
    haha yeah i was reading it last night. i guess i just wanted to see it in a different form :P. have to book an appointment for the optitians now i guess!!!

is there any way which a person of 18+ is able to get laser eye surgery done? ive read in the belfast clinic its 20+ which is pretty sickening for me if my eyes arent strong enough!!! ive felt wick all night because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

hey, yeh optical express, donegal place in belfast city centre!! i got mine done once i found out i had progressed to the medical for c13 and im only 19!! you were probaly looking at the one over in the lisburn road, they wont touch ya unless your at least 20 or something like that! its a free consultation, so its worth giving them a ring! they have a consultation clinic also over in connswater east belfast!

• Advertisement

cheers again mate haha. your right it was the one on the lisburn road lol. ill look into it tomoorow when i get up cause im pretty wrecked!!!

cheers for the info though, should come in handy haha. much is it per eye? and whats a c13?!?!?!?! you only apply this year aye? first time?!?!

smyff wrote: »
    cheers again mate haha. your right it was the one on the lisburn road lol. ill look into it tomoorow when i get up cause im pretty wrecked!!!

cheers for the info though, should come in handy haha. much is it per eye? and whats a c13?!?!?!?! you only apply this year aye? first time?!?!

np m8t!stands for campaign 13, it was the 13th application to go out for the PSNI! second time this year, still in with the slighest of all chances of geting in for my 1st application but not hopeful! its all on their website, worth a look, any more problems give me a shout sure.

C13 is short for Campaign 13. We are currently in the middle of Campaign 14 (C14). There's a bucket-load of abbrieviations to get used to.

C13 is short for Campaign 13. We are currently in the middle of Campaign 14 (C14). There's a bucket-load of abbrieviations to get used to.

lol out of a matter of intrest carlty888,anychance do you know what SRN stands for? i know its something to do with an induction when you get accepted, but never understood what it stands for!

lol meant to ask you ages ago, you find a free parking spot in belfast when you were doing your a/c?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

Student registration night

given1 wrote: »
    lol out of a matter of intrest carlty888,anychance do you know what SRN stands for? i know its something to do with an induction when you get accepted, but never understood what it stands for!

lol meant to ask you ages ago, you find a free parking spot in belfast when you were doing your a/c?:)

Looks like GCBC (another abbrieviation!!!) beat me to that one!

No free parking I'm afraid. I parked in a multi-storey round the corner. Cost me £9.40!!!! :eek:

In the end I was glad I parked there because as soon as I sat down in the waiting room I realised that I had left my letter in the car. I know, what a dumbass! :o I had been reading over it before I went in and left it there because I was so hyped up about it all.

Really glad I paid for near-by parking. I nearly got the bus that day!

Looks like GCBC (another abbrieviation!!!) beat me to that one!

No free parking I'm afraid. I parked in a multi-storey round the corner. Cost me £9.40!!!! :eek:

In the end I was glad I parked there because as soon as I sat down in the waiting room I realised that I had left my letter in the car. I know, what a dumbass! :o I had been reading over it before I went in and left it there because I was so hyped up about it all.

Really glad I paid for near-by parking. I nearly got the bus that day!

lol he did indeed:D(cheers gcbc)! :eek::eek::eek: just as well you did, that would have been the worst case scenario!!!cuz theyre really strict on the letter seen so many people being turned away from the initial test for c13 because they had forgot it! if ya had listened to my advice of parking in the holylands you would probably have killed me by now:D

given1 wrote: »
    lol he did indeed:D(cheers gcbc)! :eek::eek::eek: just as well you did, that would have been the worst case scenario!!!cuz theyre really strict on the letter seen so many people being turned away from the initial test for c13 because they had forgot it! if ya had listened to my advice of parking in the holylands you would probably have killed me by now:D

Hahaha. I would've hunted you down and killed you very slowly. :D

just got me eyes tested earlier, and so far so good. im fine sight wise, just a weeee bit above the minimum level. cheers given :D

ill leave laser eye till im older then. the one thing tho now, ive to look at my colourblindness :P

does anyone know of any good tests online? i dont think its that severe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 OnFire

just got me eyes tested earlier, and so far so good. im fine sight wise, just a weeee bit above the minimum level. cheers given :D

ill leave laser eye till im older then. the one thing tho now, ive to look at my colourblindness :P

does anyone know of any good tests online? i dont think its that severe!

Hi Smyff just wondering did your optician take the eyesight requirement "if visual aids are used must have 6/12 in best eye" as being 6/12 when your wearing your glasses or when you're not? It's been puzzling me!!!:confused:

• Advertisement

ammmmmm, well, ive got 20/20 vision with the specs on.

i took my glasses off and he asked me to read the most lines i could.

the 6/12 in the best eye thing is with your glasses off, because we have to assume that you have 20/20 with your glasses on!!!

are you colour blind at all mate? book an appointment with the optitians and see what the craic is with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

the 6/12 in the best eye thing is with your glasses off, because we have to assume that you have 20/20 with your glasses on!!!

are you colour blind at all mate? book an appointment with the optitians and see what the craic is with it.

Do you mind me asking what you could read (how many lines) without your glasses? The eyesight bit has been worrying me a bit - have yet to see my optician and ask his professional opinion but will do so soon. TIA :(

2 lmaoooooo. but i could sorta read the 3rd if i squinted a bit. my eyes where a bit sore n i was tired, since 9am monday, n that was tuesday at 3.30pm. hada do a nightshift in work!!! but he said that its borderline/a bit better than it.

just book an appointment asap, n get it off your mind!!! are you colour blind at all?!?!?!

I got my eyes tested before the IST.
    I'd managed to get a bit of metal in one in february and I started to panic that it might ruin my eyesight and chances of getting in the police
    I must be very lucky, coz it didn't do any damage at all.
    scary stuff though!!

I heard they were strict on colour blindness! I got checked and it's worth it to put your mind at rest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 OnFire

Just find it odd because the eyesight requirements are exactly the same as the english forces except their 6/12 is aided or unaided whereas people here seem to be saying that it's definitely 6/12 unaided which of course is a massive difference to someone like me who might just miss out and is scared stiff of getting laser! No I'm not colour blind but looks like I'm gonna miss out anyway because of my eyesight. Last time at opticians I was 6/20 unaided in best eye!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 shaz200828

Hi given1,
    If i'm not mistaken SRN is Student Registration Night.

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 garnier

psni wrote: »
    The Police Service of Northern Ireland recruit often. Post your questions, answers, comments, information, advice or experiences here.

hi psni,
    i'm new to this whole setup and dont really know how the this posts/treads stuff works. i was reading your comments and really found your advice great.
    i'm hoping to apply to psni next time it comes round, any idea when that is?
    also, i'm married with kids living in tipperary, dont really want to move them closer to the north, and was concerened about the shifts worked. there seems to be confusion as to weather or not it's 4 days on/off or 8 hour days or is there a choice?
    thanks in advance. i hope i've written this in the right place?!

Hi there Garnier as far as i know the next psni recruitment time is early march 2009 i think i will give it another go !!! Anyone else going for it next year???

Hi ***** ******* from *********** - welcome to the forum and all, but i'd advise you to re-register and not use your name and exact location for all the world to see! This forum can provide a lot of info to the wrong people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Chelsea555

Thanks Inspector 71 for the advice appreciate that!! Keep in touch!

• Advertisement

Chelsea555 wrote: »
    Thanks Inspector 71 for the advice appreciate that!! Keep in touch!

No problem! ;)

Advertisement