Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

At least with sanderson he'd other books coming out. He's churning out stuff at the moment.

Story with lynch is supposedly depression after a divorce but he's hooked up again so the books may come quicker. Want to start the series but I've too many incompletes at the moment, waiting on the doors of stone is killing me.

What about The adventures of princess and mr wiffle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I'm on the US Kindle store so Abercrombie's new novel isn't available to me yet.

Just finished it, excellent as usual, great to see the return of Cosca and other old friends from earlier books.

Now on to 'The Name of the Wind', after recommendations here and elsewhere, looking forward to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Reading the first Harry Dresden book from Jim Butcher. Hoping it's vastly superior to the TV series :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

12% into Red Country. Enjoying it, especially the black humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Stooped

Right now I'm reading 'Assassin's Creed: The Secret Crusade' by Oliver Bowden. Then after that I'll be reading another Assassin's Creed book, then another, then another.

The last book I read was 'Dead Dogs' which was written by my English teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Finally started The Hydrogen Sonata.

See you at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished The Great North Road. Too long, not as good as the Commonwealth books. The
    alien races (Zanth and St Libra)
    not near as interesting as in others. Characters not very engaging either. Overall it was ok, but don't know if I'd bother reading anymore in the series.
    Started The Wiseman's Fear. Wasn't as big a fan as other's here of the first novel, and while many of my same complaints are still there (a bit in and nothing has happened), for some reason its a more enjoyable read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Finished Hydrogen Sonata - would not class it as vintage Culture but enjoyable all the same. About 30% into Zero Point by Neal Asher. It kind of got semi-slammed on a few reviews I read but thus far it's all good gory and dark semi-hard sci-fi, much better than the first one of the Owner Series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Hydrogen sonata here too. And 'The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian' and 'Outlaw of Gor', although I'm not sure if I should have admitted to that one ;OD

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Just finished Name of the Wind. Disappointingly stuttered somewhat in the second half, but still a damn good read. Not sure whether I'll immediately move onto the second in the series or cast about for something else again.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Just finished Name of the Wind. Disappointingly stuttered somewhat in the second half, but still a damn good read. Not sure whether I'll immediately move onto the second in the series or cast about for something else again.

Yeah I have to agree with you. I found it very slow going, although it did have some great moments at times. I was in easons this morning and had the 2nd one in my hand but decided against it in the end. I'll read it at some point no doubt but bought 'The Way of Kings' instead for my next read.

gufnork wrote: »
    Yeah I have to agree with you. I found it very slow going, although it did have some great moments at times. I was in easons this morning and had the 2nd one in my hand but decided against it in the end. I'll read it at some point no doubt but bought 'The Way of Kings' instead for my next read.

I've decided to give Game of Thrones another go. Got almost all the way through the first one a couple of months ago but found it an utter drudgery due to flimsy characterisation and weak prose, but I assume it gets better or people wouldn't be so wet for it. Will try the audiobook route this time I think.

I see Sanderson's books have a very high rating on Goodreads, anyone you could compare his style to?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I see Sanderson's books have a very high rating on Goodreads, anyone you could compare his style to?

Colonel Sanders and Ronald McDonald. :p

To be honest he has such a distinctive style that I'm not finding it easy to compare him to anyone in particular, but then that's probably a good thing. He's so prolific anyway that at least you have plenty of his stuff to read. I tend to just pick books off the shelf at random since I'm not one for sticking to one author anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

I'm currently reading The Otherland Series by Tad Williams and KJ Parker's The Company.

I should have known better than to read both at the same time. Oh well.. :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm currently reading The Otherland Series by Tad Williams and KJ Parker's The Company.
    Both good works and very different.

On another note, first time I recall seeing someone here who reads JV Jones (going on your username)

ixoy wrote: »
    Both good works and very different.

On another note, first time I recall seeing someone here who reads JV Jones (going on your username)

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm kinda bummed that not alot of people have heard of JV Jones nor read any of her works. Because to me and my friends her SWORD OF SHADOWS Series is the next best thing to Martin's SONG OF ICE AND FIRE.

I know it's blasphemy but I actually prefer her series over Martin's.

And oh.. Raif>>>>>Jon. Easy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

mcgovern wrote: »
    Finished The Great North Road. Too long, not as good as the Commonwealth books.

Just finished it too - absolutely loved it - the mashup of police procedural/survival horror/epic sci-fi with a compelling and clever back story tying it all together. First book in a long while that had me lying in bed at 3am with my kindle knowing I needed to get to sleep but also needing to read just a little more.

Also read Hull zero three by Bear - not sure about it - weird and not really my cup of tea would sum it up, but strangely compelling at the same time.

Also working my way through Stross' laundry novels - finding them a hugely disappointing tbh.

Just started Red Country - first page already making me smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Started Lev Grossman's The Magicians, only 20% in, not totally enamoured with it. The main character is irritating. I'm finding the bad language to be off putting and its pulling me out of the book, it only seems to be there to say "this isn't Harry potter youre reading". Hope it moves on from the university soon.

Won't be bothering with sequel, his last two years at the university were the best part of the book, second half of the book was quite predictable. Never bonded with the main character or with the world it was set in.

Reading The Manual Of Detection by Jebidiah Berry and very much liking it, fantastical but not a fantasy. If Terry Gillingham, the Coen Brothers and Jean-Pierre Jeunet got together this may very well be the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭TobyRyan

Started the Jack Reacher novels, massively disappointed that Tom Cruise is set to play him in the new movie:mad: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0790724/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Oh come now:
    Reacher is 6' 5" tall (1.96m) with a 50-inch chest, and weighing between 210 and 250 pounds (100–115 kg). He has ice-blue eyes and dirty blond hair. He has very little body fat, and his muscular physique is completely natural

This just screams Tom Cruise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Maybe the rest of the cast is going to consist of actors from willow and guys who played ewoks in ROTJ.

Taking a break from the black company after book 2, i liked them not great but not bad either. Starting on the prince of nothing series. and on the fires of heaven now on audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I've been saving it for years but I'm now about 100 pages into Dune. I won't lie, it's pretty frakin' awesome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Block G Raptor

Just Started the otherworld series by Tad Williams an so far gotta say I'm lovin it

Just Started the otherworld series by Tad Williams an so far gotta say I'm lovin it

Yup, been pretty awesome so far. Just got started on the 3rd Book.

I must say, it's probably one most well-researched fantasy/sci-fi book I've read. I specially love reading everything about the African Bushman. Kudos to Tad, for the brave inclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Finished The Heroes, another great read from Abercrombie. His next one comes to my kindle on the 13th so in the meanwhile I'm re-reading American Gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished Wise Man's Fear. While most of my complaints from the first one still apply (not much really ever happens), something about the way its written really draws you in, and I really enjoyed it.
    Posts about Otherworld reminded me of the series, so going to start one of them next, book 2 has been sitting on my shelf for about 2-3 years, so bout time I read it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

mcgovern wrote: »
    Finished Wise Man's Fear. While most of my complaints from the first one still apply (not much really ever happens), something about the way its written really draws you in, and I really enjoyed it.

Not much happens that's the beauty of it because its all from his pov, there's hints left all over the place though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I'm done with American Gods, I was expecting a bit more from it but it's not a bad read.
    Now I'm reading Iain M Banks "Consider Phlebas". I've heard good things so I'm looking forward to it.

Advertisement