Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

So, Is it worth sticking out silverthorn and the next one?

I have the new day by day armageddon and the twelve sitting on my kindle waiting their turn :)

Silverthorn is definitely much better than Magician. Most of the FANTASTIC that you didn't like in the First Book takes a Backseat there.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

I have the new day by day armageddon and the twelve sitting on my kindle waiting their turn :)

Definitely. Silverthorn is a much tighter story with less focus on the "big" magic and more on characters. The third book in the trilogy A Darkness at Sethanon is worth a read too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

The serpent wars is what you want. Still not as good as other fantasy out there but easily feists best series.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Finished The Hydrogen Sonata over Christmas (good, but not great). Re-reading Childhood's End at the moment. :)
    Silverthorn is definitely much better than Magician.
    Even the second half of Magician is better than the first. It's like the writer is learning to write during the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I have had a rough couple of months so time to enlist the services an old familiar friend to see me through the long dark bits of the night when both concentration and sleep have gone AWOL

- Wheel of Time here we go again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

Cannot wait for a Memory of Light in the Wheel of Time series! Wonder if Rand will win?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

constantg wrote: »
    Cannot wait for a Memory of Light in the Wheel of Time series! Wonder if Rand will win?
    Thing is we know Rand wins and that the world doesn't end. There's no mystery there. What we don't know is the cost of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

fenris wrote: »
    I have had a rough couple of months so time to enlist the services an old familiar friend to see me through the long dark bits of the night when both concentration and sleep have gone AWOL

Definitely going to have to have to read this series. After 'The Way of Kings' I'm all over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Just finished the Rho Agenda (three books - The Second Ship, Immune and Wormhole) by Richard Phillips. It's a good series, with memorable characters and tech. It even leans toward "hard" Sci-Fi as he is a Physics major. It doesn't go as hard-fi as the Rifter trilogy, but it is enough to lend a bit of credibility to the scenarios.

Am about 20% into 'The Way of Kings' now and I must say I'm a little underwhelmed. The first two parts, the prelude and the prologue were very good and I Was really getting into it, then we had a whole long boring part whereby all we witnessed was
    a load of men running with a bridge.
    What's that about? I Hope it improves from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

gufnork wrote: »
    Am about 20% into 'The Way of Kings' now and I must say I'm a little underwhelmed. The first two parts, the prelude and the prologue were very good and I Was really getting into it, then we had a whole long boring part whereby all we witnessed was
    a load of men running with a bridge.
    What's that about? I Hope it improves from here.

I really enjoyed it but it very much feels like a setup novel where he's mostly trying to introduce characters and the world for the future novels (there's 10 planned!!).

So there are a good few scenes which don't seem to go anywhere. It could probably have been 300 pages shorter and still covered everything it needed to but the world and some of the characters were interesting enough to keep me happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

The Pillars of the Earth, took a while to get into it but I'm really enjoying it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

fenris wrote: »

Dear Santa,
    Thank you for my Kindle:D

33% of the way through The Fires of Heaven. Forgotten loads but then its nearly 20 years since i started the series:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Book 2 of Mistborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

I recently decided to start reading Neil Gaiman's books. He's one of those authors I've always meant to read but the size of his back catalogue always scares me off... I'd read Coraline and Stardust previously and kinda decided to stick with some of his books aimed at kids and am currently reading The Graveyard Book...I would like to upgrade to a bit more of his adult stuff but am unsure where to begin, like you cant help but hear amazing things about American Gods or the Anasi Boys, but I dont want to jump straight in at his best and then be disappointed by his other work. Should i go chronologically? Maybe I should ask are there any books I really shouldnt read. Any advice or thoughts would be great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

bradyle wrote: »
    I recently decided to start reading Neil Gaiman's books. He's one of those authors I've always meant to read but the size of his back catalogue always scares me off... I'd read Coraline and Stardust previously and kinda decided to stick with some of his books aimed at kids and am currently reading The Graveyard Book...I would like to upgrade to a bit more of his adult stuff but am unsure where to begin, like you cant help but hear amazing things about American Gods or the Anasi Boys, but I dont want to jump straight in at his best and then be disappointed by his other work. Should i go chronologically? Maybe I should ask are there any books I really shouldnt read. Any advice or thoughts would be great!!
    Of his books I've always liked Neverwhere, which is as good an entry point as any.

For my money The Sandman is still his best work.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Reading Reapers Gale.(Malazan series)

I'm loving it even though I'm walking a fine line between understanding it and being lost!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The size of someon'e back catalogue can be a great thing, keep you in books for ages. I'm almost finished 'Consider Phlebas' by Iain M Banks which I am really enjoying, and he has a dozen other scifi books and some of his regular fiction looks good too - excellent :) Never read a book of his until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

I'll start Neverwhere so!! Finished The Graveyard Book yesterday...might have stayed on the bus past my stop just so that I could read the ending!!

I only found out over Christmas that Ian M Banks did sci fi kind of stuff...i associated him with books my mam reads cuz of his normal fiction...might give him a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Just started a second attempt at The Dark Tower, and am about halfway through The Gunslinger. Made it as far as the third book a few years ago, will keep going this time. Had forgotten how much I had enjoyed The Gunslinger, a great little book.

It's a great little book, but the writing is odd, not like Stephen King at all. Leaped straight into the next one, The Drawing Of The Three, which is very King like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Reading Raven's Shadow - Book One: Blood Song by Anthony Ryan at the moment and really enjoying it. Very well written but more black and white rather than shades of grey in terms its approach to good and evil.

Recieved Red Knight by Miles Cameron as agift and looking forward to reading it.

Just purchased The Neutronium Alchemsist and Quantum Thief. Havent read good sci-fi in ages and these were both recommended. Anyone got any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Playboy wrote: »
    Just purchased The Neutronium Alchemsist and Quantum Thief. Havent read good sci-fi in ages and these were both recommended. Anyone got any thoughts?

Seruiously enjoyed Quantum Thief, absolute pleasure of a read.

Currently reading Peter Hamiltons The Great North Road. Got off to a flying start but from around 30-55% flagged. Currently around 60% and it seems to be (finally!) picking up the pace a bit. Can't help but think a decent editor would of made this a much better book, hoping it will end in a crescendo of goodness however so sticking with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Finished Childhood's End (again). Smashing stuff.

Have started on Roadside Picnic (Arkady and Boris Strugatsky). Worth the read?

Really hated 'The Way of Kings'. Got to page 214 and simply couldn't force myself on any longer. A set-up novel it may be but that's no excuse for this level of tedium. Have moved onto 'Light' by 'M. John Harrison' now. I really liked Mistborn too, and Alloy of Law. Very disappointed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Finally finished 'The Hero of Ages' by Brandon Sanderson.
    I thought that trilogy was some of the cleverest stuff I'd read in ages, even if there was a hint of YA about the whole thing. There's a movie in there bursting to get out you'd have to think.

Working my way through the ISFDB Top 100 books from the bottom. Well the 2012 list as it keeps changing! On #97, Neuromancer, which has quite fantastically evaded me for all these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    At the moment I am reading this forum!!!

On the whole Feist thing, I read A Darkness At Sethanon first when I was a kid and didn't really know what trilogies were... wish I'd left it there. The first two are awful, as is everything else of his I have read. (and now given up on I might add)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Really hated 'The Way of Kings'. Got to page 214 and simply couldn't force myself on any longer. A set-up novel it may be but that's no excuse for this level of tedium. Have moved onto 'Light' by 'M. John Harrison' now. I really liked Mistborn too, and Alloy of Law. Very disappointed.

Very slow to start but it really kicks off later. Trust me stick with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished Evil for Evil, I know some people didn't think it was as good as the first one, but I really enjoyed it.
    Started The Gathering Storm by Jordan/Sanderson. My thinking is that by the time I've finished this and Towers of Midnight, A Memory of Light ebook will be out, and I want to finish a few series before getting stuck into any more.

Advertisement