Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I got that Anthony Ryan novel as well because of the trend in here recently. Only read about 3% but not getting hooked by it.
    Does it improve?

Also stuck in work on mt own all day today and trying to find a cheapish sci/fi kindle book to read, any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Now that I've finished Blood Song I don't know what to read next!

Any suggestions?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just began "Leviathan Wakes", which I got as a present last Christmas. I've read 1% so a bit too early to say anything but I did really enjoy Abraham's Long Price quartet and this series has garnered good reviews, including from people here.
    Now that I've finished Blood Song I don't know what to read next!
    I'm enjoying the Shadow the Apt series. I've read three books of the planned te (#8 is about to be published). First book is "An Empire in Black and Gold". Good premise to it.

Or something a little more unusual, in the "new weird" genre would be Steph Swainston's Castle trilogy.

Tried a sample of 'An Empire of Black and Gold' wasn't really feeling it. So I'm gonna go with Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay. Have always meant to read him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Finished The Long Earth by Pratchett/Baxter.

Not quite sure what to make of it. Fantastic ideas and very descriptive, but very little plot movement. I think there'll be a sequel, and I think a lot of it depends on how good the sequel is.

3/5-4/5

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Trojan wrote: »
    Finished The Long Earth by Pratchett/Baxter.

Not quite sure what to make of it. Fantastic ideas and very descriptive, but very little plot movement. I think there'll be a sequel, and I think a lot of it depends on how good the sequel is.

3/5-4/5

I got a third of the way in and just couldn't slog on any more, the tedium was too acute at this point. And as for a sequel, I certainly hope not!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Going to start king of thorns tonight and listening to the WOT audio books at the moment.

gufnork wrote: »
    I got a third of the way in and just couldn't slog on any more, the tedium was too acute at this point. And as for a sequel, I certainly hope not!

There's definitely a sequel coming.

It was missing a strong primary character, tension and a plot arc, but for all that it wasn't too bad - particularly given it's a collab between two completely different styles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭donegal_man

There's definitely a sequel coming.

It was missing a strong primary character, tension and a plot arc, but for all that it wasn't too bad - particularly given it's a collab between two completely different styles.

Talk about damning with faint praise :D It's actually sitting on top of my to read pile at the moment, just started "The Traitor Queen" by Trudi Canavan, like the first two in the trilogy so looking forward to this as well.

Talk about damning with faint praise :D It's actually sitting on top of my to read pile at the moment, just started "The Traitor Queen" by Trudi Canavan, like the first two in the trilogy so looking forward to this as well.

It is rather faint praise alright. If it was someone other than Pratchett (even Baxter solo) I think sales would have tanked.

I think it's on a par with Canavan's books (but I'm not a fan of her style).

(The good news is I have a Vimes story to read now :))

• Advertisement

...(The good news is I have a Vimes story to read now :))

Is it Snuff? :eek:

Have finished The Waste Lands by Stephen King. Was very good. Am enjoying this series imensely. Another series I'm enjoying imensely is George RR Martin's Wild Card series. I've just started Wild Cards V: Down and Dirty and it's already fantastic even after about 6% in. I really love these books. I'm so thankful there's so many to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Just finished 'The Wizard and the Glass', the fourth book in the Dark Tower series, really enjoyed it and would probably put it ahead of 'The Drawing of the Three' as the best so far in the series.

Damn library doesn't have the next in the series according to their site :( Might take a wee break then and go back and start 'A Feast for Crows' as I read the last two Dark Tower books back to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

About three-quarters of the way through "The Black Lung Captain", the second of the Tales of the Ketty Jay series by Chris Wooding. Its a bit quieter than the first book but Wooding delves a lot deeper into the backgrounds of the characters making it a satisfying follow up.

Reading the Riyria revelations, dunno what to make of it yet, i'm liking it but it feels like a series of episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

BlackOut part 3 of the Newsflesh series by Mira Grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Prologue to A Memory of Light.

Tigana is taking a break as I just picked up 'Forge of Darkness'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 lisa1993

Oh i love A wizard of earthsea and the sequels are great too :D Im currently reading Dreamsnake by Vonda N. McIntyre, iv read it a good few times before but its one of my all time favorite books :]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

After what seems like forever I finally can say I finished Embassytown and have started on a Wise Man's Fear.

Although I loved Perdido St Station and City in the City, Embassytown was just plain weird, had to make myself finish it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭apsalar

On the last page of City of Dragons by Robin Hobb. Just love this woman. Read Dragon Keeper and dragon haven in 3 days, couldn't put them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭donegal_man

apsalar wrote: »
    On the last page of City of Dragons by Robin Hobb. Just love this woman. Read Dragon Keeper and dragon haven in 3 days, couldn't put them down.

Gotta agree with you, the first of hers I read was the Soldier Son trilogy and I've been addicted since. Waiting for the fourth in the Rain Wilds to appear (Feb next year hopefully) so I can order the complete saga and read them all in sequence.

It's funny how tastes differ. I thought Hobbs started off amazingly with Farseer books and every trilogy since the first has got progressively worse. Soldier Son 1 was interesting but 2 and 3 didn't do it for me.

Liked hobb but i was ready to throw myself out of a 10 ten story at the end of the farseer books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

It's funny how tastes differ. I thought Hobbs started off amazingly with Farseer books and every trilogy since the first has got progressively worse. Soldier Son 1 was interesting but 2 and 3 didn't do it for me.

my thoughts exactly, couldn't even bring myself to read the second book in Soldiers Son

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Liked hobb but i was ready to throw myself out of a 10 ten story at the end of the farseer books.
    At the end of just the third book? Really?

I really liked her Farseer, Liveship and Tawny Man trilogies. Unlike many I didn't hate Soldier's Son series but it wasn't as good as the previous.
    I've read the first book in the Rain Wilds chronicles and it was perfectly decent but not riveting. Not sure if that's Hobb herself or because I've been exposed to a wider range of fantasy over the years.

ixoy wrote: »
    At the end of just the third book? Really?

I really liked her Farseer, Liveship and Tawny Man trilogies. Unlike many I didn't hate Soldier's Son series but it wasn't as good as the previous.
    I've read the first book in the Rain Wilds chronicles and it was perfectly decent but not riveting. Not sure if that's Hobb herself or because I've been exposed to a wider range of fantasy over the years.

Maybe AnCapaillMor meant Tawny Man.

I loved the first Farseer trilogy, thought Liveship was ok - but I read it before Farseer, accidentally, so that always messes with my judgement of it - and Tawny Man series was just about acceptable, but starting on the slide down.

I thought Rain Wilds was ok, around equal with Tawny Man in quality, but then Soldiers Son (particularly books 2 and 3) was just awful. I only read all three just in case there was comeback in the 4th quarter but didn't happen. That was probably the end of reading Robin Hobb's stuff for me unless the next ones get rave reviews all over the place.

ixoy wrote: »
    At the end of just the third book? Really?.
    It was the whole Molly story, never felt so sorry for a character at the end, grrm wouldn't even get a look in. Besides that I really enjoyed the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭apsalar

And there I was thinking Soldier Son trilogy was a pretty good first person read. Haven't come across too many fantasy books in that type of narrative. The second book was so engaging for me.....

Have to agree the Tawny man series was a bit off. Fools fate was a little bit of a let-down. But I enjoyed the Liveship traders.

I suppose I just find her ideas pretty original.

• Advertisement

Went through a KJ Parker re-read spree, first The Folding Knife and then the first two Engineers books.

I was thinking about reading the 3rd Engineers book which I haven't read before, which is why I did the re-read, but maybe I'm fatigued from the style but I'm not feeling very enthusiastic about it :)

Advertisement