Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Have finally got round to starting the 3rd mistborn novel, 'Hero of Ages'. God, I love Vin!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just finished Abercrombie's Red Country and I don't know if I'm really that happy with it. Enjoyed it definitely but it's not a standalone book and it doesn't add much to the overall narrative either.
    Felt like it was only a primer for another book, what with all the talk of the Maker's people, who aren't really developed much in the book.
    Also could of done with just one additional POV.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Just finished Abercrombie's Red Country and I don't know if I'm really that happy with it. Enjoyed it definitely but it's not a standalone book and it doesn't add much to the overall narrative either.
    Oh I really enjoyed this. I think it could have been a standalone book (it's not necessary to understand Lamb's past) and it pushed the world forward a little by progressing it.
    Some great lines in it too.

Now reading "Zendegi" by Greg Egan. It's a (so far) contemporary science fiction novel set in, unusually, Iran. It's actually a bit too contemporary so far and is dealing a bit too much with the political and cultural side of Iran when I want the nifty science fiction part (of which I've only seen a fraction so far). I'm nearly 30% through so I reckon the two plots will merge soon and we'll get into more interesting territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Demeyes wrote: »
    I'm done with American Gods, I was expecting a bit more from it but it's not a bad read.
    Now I'm reading Iain M Banks "Consider Phlebas". I've heard good things so I'm looking forward to it.

Consider Phlebas is only ok but I'm told some of the rest of the Culture novels are superb so it's worth a read no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Demeyes wrote: »
    I'm done with American Gods, I was expecting a bit more from it but it's not a bad read.

Yeah, it wasn't one of his better books. I agree totally. I was expecting more too. Was quite disappointed with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Update: loving The Dresden Files series from Jim Butcher - wasn't at all sure I'd like it but highly recommended.

Edit: funny enough American Gods is referenced just above - Dresden Files is somewhat in that vein, but far superior IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Just finished Trudi Canavan "The Traitor Queen". Enjoyed the whole Kyralia series and made an attempt at the Age Of The Five but just couldn't get a handle on it at all.
    Three more just arrived from the bookdepository today, Joe Abercrombie "Red Country", Terry Brooks "The Measure Of The Magic" and Jim Butcher "Ghost Story" mmmmmm decisions, decisions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

About a hundred pages in and loving it.:D
    I love the way Abercrombie writes ,for me its like enjoying a fine wine or a top notch meal.You savour every sip / morsel ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Just started "The Call of the Sword" , the first book of the Chronicles of Hawklan series by Roger Taylor, pretty good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Did a re-read (audiobook) of Gardens of the Moon with a view to catching back up to where I left off in the series (either book 5 or 6) and ploughing on through the rest in the new year. If ever there was a book that gets better and better the more times you read it it's GOTM. Think that's my fourth time through it and it's just so, so good.

Also almost finished the second Black Company book, Shadows Linger. Not as good as the first one, with the whole
    black castle thing
    not really as menacing as
    The Lady
    was throughout the first book, but still pretty good. Cook does a great job of creating characters with believable motivations, who act according to them. Sounds simple, but so many fantasy authors get this very wrong.

Also rereading Nine Princes in Amber at the moment. Don't know why but it's been stuck in my head to give it another spin for a couple of months so said I'd give it a whirl. Loved it the first time round and enjoying it very much again. Really love Zelazny's deadpan style, and again his characters are believable and interesting.

Both Cook and Zelazny tend to keep their casts relatively small but really focus on getting that sense of authenticity in their main characters. Both series are mainly written from a first person POV as well. Not exactly your typical fantasy stuff especially in Zelazny's case, but I'd recommend them for anyone looking for something a bit different.

Corwin is one of my favourite ever literally characters :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Yeah black company book 2 wasn't great but it was more of a build up for book 3. Only got so far in 3 though so no idea if its good.

The Passage by Justin Cronin, to see what all the fuss is about. What really drew me in though was the lure of vampires. I just can't get enough of those crazy vampires.

Really reminds me of The Stand for the first while and I suppose Mr. King's endorsement on the jacket would reinforce that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Considering giving the Anne McCaffrey Pern books a look. How have they stood up to time? Still recommended?

Which is the "first" I should start with? I see there's a bunch of prequels and novellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

Just realized I hadn't posted here in awhile!

Recent reads
    - Foundation by Asimov - part of my attempt to get through some classics I've never gotten to. Very interesting story arc and ideas and I really enjoyed it.
    - Kill Decision by Daniel Suarez - I loved his previous books (Daemon and Freedom) but this didn't live up to the standards. Still entertaining enough but a fairly standard thriller rather than anything great.
    - Blood Song by Anthony Ryan - Based on more than 1 recommendation here so I definitely wasn't the only one reading this. Very good read though and I'll definitely read the rest of the series when they come out.
    - Wool by Hugh Howey - Just the first short story but it was excellent. Very interesting setting so certainly one to follow.
    - Cloud Atlas - Read this because of the film being due out early next year. I was really torn on this. I struggled with the first few stories and didn't think I was going to get into it but some of the middle stories were much better and in the end I was glad I stuck with it. I can appreciate the skill involved in tying the story together and all the different styles but it just didn't grab me as much as I hoped.
    - Red Country by Joe Abercrombie - Abercrombie is one of my favorite authors at the moment and didn't disappoint with this. Its a very cool mix of a western and a more classic "fantasy" (not much actual fantasy type elements though) story and his writing and characters are just brilliant.

I'm trying to decide between classic (Old Mans War) and new (Caliban's War) Sci-fi next but I'll probably just dive into one soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

The Passage by Justin Cronin, to see what all the fuss is about. What really drew me in though was the lure of vampires. I just can't get enough of those crazy vampires.

Really reminds me of The Stand for the first while and I suppose Mr. King's endorsement on the jacket would reinforce that as well.

I've gotten a few recommendation for this recently. Is it worth a read? Never really got into the vampire thing. Now zombies is a different story ....

Started "The Winds of Khalakovo". About 13% into it. Refreshing so far with an Arabian vibe.
    shaneor wrote: »
    I've gotten a few recommendation for this recently. Is it worth a read? Never really got into the vampire thing. Now zombies is a different story ....
    I actually quite liked this and vampires generally bore me. This one's a little closer to the sort of feral nature zombie types you'd see in "28 Days Later" but more "leet".

I liked the approach Cronin took and the post-apocalyptic mix of it too. I expect to get the sequel - "The Twelve" - this Christmas.

ixoy wrote: »
    Started "The Winds of Khalakovo". About 13% into it. Refreshing so far with an Arabian vibe.

I actually quite liked this and vampires generally bore me. This one's a little closer to the sort of feral nature zombie types you'd see in "28 Days Later" but more "leet".

I liked the approach Cronin took and the post-apocalyptic mix of it too. I expect to get the sequel - "The Twelve" - this Christmas.

Winds of Khalakovo is an excellent read and I got a bit of a Russian vibe from it at times.

Winds of Khalakovo is an excellent read and I got a bit of a Russian vibe from it at times.
    Yeah - that's what I got initially, with the language sounding more Russian and things like vodka drinking. It's a fairly original world so far. Also a good price for the book at $6 (sequel at the same price).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Where is it 6$? I want to buy it now

bluewolf wrote: »
    Where is it 6$? I want to buy it now
    Baen eBooks. Much cheaper than Amazon and seems to have closer ties with independent publishers. Perfectly reliable. The sequel is over $12 on Amazon but still $6 there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Trojan wrote: »
    Considering giving the Anne McCaffrey Pern books a look. How have they stood up to time? Still recommended?

Which is the "first" I should start with? I see there's a bunch of prequels and novellas.

In overall terms I think they have stood the test of time. They certainly aren't "edgy" in the way that Abercrombie or Martin or whatever but they tell a good story and everything moves along at a good pace, she doesn't go in for spending paragraphs telling the reader about every details about the folds in someones clothes that some authors (Jordan) use to pad out novels.

There is a suggested reading order in the books. Dragonflight is the first book and you should start off with that. Then its

Dragonquest
    Dragonsong
    Dragonsinger
    Dragondrums
    The White Dragon

Once you're that far in you'll be able to work the rest out for yourself, after that the reading order doesn't get too set in stone. One other great thing about the books is that they're relatively short books, most are about 300 pages and they're great after sludging your way through some 1000 page monolith.

Baen eBooks. Much cheaper than Amazon and seems to have closer ties with independent publishers. Perfectly reliable. The sequel is over $12 on Amazon but still $6 there.

Haven't seen that site before. Going to get the sequel there now as its only $6! Cheers.

Finished The Twelve by Justin Cronin and have to say its a little bit disappointing. Starts off again in the past and focuses on characters that have a strenuous link to future events. A few of the returning characters are superfluous to the plot and are just there for the sake of it, Peter and Micheal, and the coincidences in the sorry are jarring.
    Will still read the closing chapter when it's released.

Currently starting Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. Has any one read it? Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Just finished reading, Tad William's Otherland Novels. Simply Fantastic!

One of the most diverse cultures and cast of characters I've ever read. Onto his Shadowmarch Novels next. :D

One of the most diverse cultures and cast of characters I've ever read. Onto his Shadowmarch Novels next. :D
    Check out "War of the Flowers" which was an excellent stand-alone fantasy novel that he did between those two series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Check out "War of the Flowers" which was an excellent stand-alone fantasy novel that he did between those two series.

Thanks! I'll look it up after I've finish with his Shadowmarch Novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Rhavin

Reading the Wise Mans Fear by Patrick Rothfuss at the moment and wondering if anyone has any idea when the 3rd one is coming out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Rhavin wrote: »
    Reading the Wise Mans Fear by Patrick Rothfuss at the moment and wondering if anyone has any idea when the 3rd one is coming out?

When it's ready. That's all Rothfuss will say on the matter.

Rhavin wrote: »

Within a week of Republic of Thieves I reckon.

• Advertisement

"Forge of Darkness" by Steven Erikson, the first in his trilogy exploring the early days of the Tiste, Kharkansas and all the related areas. It's interesting so far to see all the powerful characters from the Malazan series in their early days. Little concerned that there might end up being an "emo" vibe to this as the Tiste sects tended to be a bit dour but, at 6%, it's too early to tell for sure.

Advertisement