Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

keane2097 wrote: »
    Finished this off, thought it was pretty great. Have moved onto The Black Company by Glen Cook, about two and a half hours into it and liking it quite a lot, definite shades of Steven Erikson about it.

Probably 2/3s the way through this now and it's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

ixoy wrote: »
    Playboy wrote: »
    Just finished the Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham and I loved it. Found the first two books quite slow but it really picked up in the final two. Really enjoyed his writing style and character development.
    Yep, Books 3 & 4 were excellent. The ending to Book 3:
    was one of the most emotive punches in the face I've read in years. The sheer horror of what happened when it all went wrong. How Book 4 dealt with all that was very rewarding.

Completely agree.. Thought the fact that he had developed the characters so well over such a long period of time really helped with the emotional impact of the plot

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Trojan wrote: »
    Now re-reading Old Man's War.

Finished that and read The Ghost Brigades for the first time. Not bad, not amazed by it, and serious feeling of deja vu during that - probably due to Scalzi's influences.

Felt like there was all of Heinlein (ST), Hamilton (Fallen Dragon I think), Piers Anthony (Bio series) and a bunch of others referenced (as well as Brin, named in credits).

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭apsalar

Just started "The Great and Secret Show" by Clive Barker....I can't wait to get into it. Have yet to read anything bad by this guy. Anyone read the whole trilogy yet?

Started Stross's The Family Trade (The Merchant Princes series).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

apsalar wrote: »
    Just started "The Great and Secret Show" by Clive Barker....I can't wait to get into it. Have yet to read anything bad by this guy. Anyone read the whole trilogy yet?
    Nobody in the universe has - Book 3 still isn't out...

Trojan wrote: »
    Started Stross's The Family Trade (The Merchant Princes series).

Nearly half-way through book 2 and I still felt like I was waiting for it to start. It's like he's pulling a Gemmell.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I'm reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman at the moment. Just starting it so far and it seems pretty good. Have a lot of travelling to do in the next week so I should get through it nice and quickly, I've got 1984 waiting for me after that.

Finished Stross's The Family Trade (Merchant Princes #2). Quite disappointed, would not recommend. Can anyone tell me if the rest of the series gets better - I see there are 4 more!

Finished John Scalzi's 3rd book in the Old Man's War universe - The Last Colony - a great read, thoroughly enjoyed it.

(I've been travelling by train a lot recently so really getting through them. Gotta love the e-reader. :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Im about halfway through Ravens Shadow by Anthony Ryan and its an excellent read, I bought it on the kindle as its not available in paperback yet.

Its similar to Rothfuss in that the main character is dictating his story to a writer but at least he doesnt drag the story out, its a fast paced read and he just dives straight in to the action.

Well worth getting (loads of 5 star reviews on Amazon) and I cant wait for book 2 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

shockwave wrote: »
    Im about halfway through Ravens Shadow by Anthony Ryan and its an excellent read, I bought it on the kindle as its not available in paperback yet.

Its similar to Rothfuss in that the main character is dictating his story to a writer but at least he doesnt drag the story out, its a fast paced read and he just dives straight in to the action.

Well worth getting (loads of 5 star reviews on Amazon) and I cant wait for book 2 :D

I've raved about in here already. Fantastic debut can't wait for the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Finished Riyria trilogy by michael j sullivan, nothing spectacular but good crack none the less. Finished king of thorns also, don't know what to make of it, i didn't hate it but i didn't think it was great either.

Starting Glen Cooks black company now, seems good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Finished Riyria trilogy by michael j sullivan, nothing spectacular but good crack none the less. Finished king of thorns also, don't know what to make of it, i didn't hate it but i didn't think it was great either.

I really enjoyed King of Thorns, there was some lovely turns of phrase in the book. Ending did reek a bit of deus ex machina though and I was hoping that some of the larger picture would be revealed. Only one more book to go in it too and it's a bit refreshing in today's world of multiple volumes and maasive gaps between releases.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I really enjoyed King of Thorns, there was some lovely turns of phrase in the book. Ending did reek a bit of deus ex machina though and I was hoping that some of the larger picture would be revealed. Only one more book to go in it too and it's a bit refreshing in today's world of multiple volumes and maasive gaps between releases.

IT was
    The katherine obsession that got\annoyed me, he only met her a handful of times with little or no interaction and spent most of the book pining over her, i really did like the twists and turns in that story though.

IT was
    The katherine obsession that got\annoyed me, he only met her a handful of times with little or no interaction and spent most of the book pining over her, i really did like the twists and turns in that story though.

Well he is still very young, so it wouldn't be the first time a teenager acted like that.
    The past and present story lines were handled very well and in a more interesting way than the first book.

Up next for me is Red Country by Abercrombie, read chapter one and two on gollanz website, and I liked them.
    I's most definitely Logen as Lamb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Read 'The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart' by Jessie Bullington, wasn't mad about it, strangely violent and scatalogical, not things that normally bother me but the generally unpleasant tone was offputting.

Now on to Mark Hodder's 'Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack' which is far better.

It's very good, hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

I'm almost through Iain M. Banks first Culture novel, "Consider Phlebas" which I'm enjoying a fair bit without being blown away by, although I'm aware that many consider the Culture universe one of the most interesting settings in all of fiction so I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.

That said, I'm between several minds as to what to do when I finish it, namely start Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind which I've seen a lot of people speak highly of, move on to the second Black Company novel, keep going with Banks or go back and read Zelazny's wonderful Nine Princes in Amber again (have a hankering to revisit this lately for some reason).

Any advice?

keane2097 wrote: »
    That said, I'm between several minds as to what to do when I finish it, namely start Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind which I've seen a lot of people speak highly of.

They're fantastic books but god knows when the third book will be out. The 2 books really leave you wishing for more, he asks more questions than answers. Really wish i hadn't started them as the anticipation for the 3rd book is killing me.

They're fantastic books but god knows when the third book will be out. The 2 books really leave you wishing for more, he asks more questions than answers. Really wish i hadn't started them as the anticipation for the 3rd book is killing me.

Ended up diving into Name of the Wind as it was first to hand when I finished up with Phlebas. 19 chapters in I think and I'm finding it really great. Recommended based on what I've gotten through so far for sure. Hopefully by the time I get round to reading the second book I'll have the third waiting for me :o

Not unless you're a really slow reader. There was 4 years between book 1 and 2 and here's the kicker, he finished the original draft for all 3 books 12 or so years ago

• Advertisement

Not unless you're a really slow reader. There was 4 years between book 1 and 2 and here's the kicker, he finished the original draft for all 3 books 12 or so years ago

Oh dear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Got the new Joe Abercrombie, will start tonight, always excited to start one of his for the first time :)

That draft was nearly completely overhauled though, like Brandon Sanderson's for Way of Kings. So third mightn't take too long, 2014/15 maybe. Should be quicker than Republic of Thieves!

Finished Forge of Darkness, was okay a lot of ground work being laid, and I'm back to having nothing to read.

I'm on the US Kindle store so Abercrombie's new novel isn't available to me yet.

Yeah but he's changed a lot since his original draft. Think I remember reading that the whole Ademre storyline was brand new, also a lot of the Denna stuff (as cringeworthy as it is) was also added upon editing them.

Yeah but he's changed a lot since his original draft. Think I remember reading that the whole Ademre storyline was brand new, also a lot of the Denna stuff (as cringeworthy as it is) was also added upon editing them.

No Auri or Ambrose in the originals too, just can't picture the books without them.

That's made me think; whatever happened to their rich friend in the Academy from the 1st book? He just seemed to disappear?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Finished the Foundation trilogy, didnt enjoy it enough to be tempted by the other books in the series.

Started Lev Grossman's The Magicians, only 20% in, not totally enamoured with it. The main character is irritating. I'm finding the bad language to be off putting and its pulling me out of the book, it only seems to be there to say "this isn't Harry potter youre reading". Hope it moves on from the university soon.

That's made me think; whatever happened to their rich friend in the Academy from the 1st book? He just seemed to disappear?
    PR was asked in an interview and he said something likes Savoy is back home sipping wine, so he looks like he was just an extra, thought there might have been more with him being kvothes friend and then denna. He just dissapeared.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    That draft was nearly completely overhauled though, like Brandon Sanderson's for Way of Kings. So third mightn't take too long, 2014/15 maybe. Should be quicker than Republic of Thieves!

At least with sanderson he'd other books coming out. He's churning out stuff at the moment.

Story with lynch is supposedly depression after a divorce but he's hooked up again so the books may come quicker. Want to start the series but I've too many incompletes at the moment, waiting on the doors of stone is killing me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Currently reading The Giver Quartet by Lois Lowry, it's classed as YA but the concepts are far from simple ones.

Advertisement