Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

ixoy wrote: »
    "Forge of Darkness" by Steven Erikson, the first in his trilogy exploring the early days of the Tiste, Kharkansas and all the related areas. It's interesting so far to see all the powerful characters from the Malazan series in their early days. Little concerned that there might end up being an "emo" vibe to this as the Tiste sects tended to be a bit dour but, at 6%, it's too early to tell for sure.

Was a difficult enough read for me, but it's because it's entirely different to Malazan. Like you say it's really nice to see some of the characters in their early stage!

Let me know how you found it when you finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

There is a suggested reading order in the books. Dragonflight is the first book and you should start off with that. Then its

Dragonquest
    Dragonsong
    Dragonsinger
    Dragondrums
    The White Dragon

Once you're that far in you'll be able to work the rest out for yourself, after that the reading order doesn't get too set in stone. One other great thing about the books is that they're relatively short books, most are about 300 pages and they're great after sludging your way through some 1000 page monolith.

I just started these...kinda wish I'd seen this before I'd started...Got The Dragonriders of Pern set with Dragonflight, Dragonquest and The White Dragon in it. I'm near the end of The White Dragon now, hopefully I haven't missed much by skipping Dragonsong, Dragonsinger and Dragondrums...but due to amazon's very dangerous one click buying and my kindle I'll probably find out over the weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

bradyle wrote: »
    I just started these...kinda wish I'd seen this before I'd started...Got The Dragonriders of Pern set with Dragonflight, Dragonquest and The White Dragon in it. I'm near the end of The White Dragon now, hopefully I haven't missed much by skipping Dragonsong, Dragonsinger and Dragondrums...but due to amazon's very dangerous one click buying and my kindle I'll probably find out over the weekend!!

Don't worry its not too big a deal, The White Dragon was actually published during the Dragonsong, Dragonsinger and Dragondrums trilogy so the publisher had had already gotten things confused.

Dragonsong, singer and drums mainly deal with other characters at the Harper Hall, there isn't much crossover, Lessa and Benden Weyr cast only get cameo appearances iirc. The list in my post is McCaffrey's suggested reading list but she hopped around the timeline a fair bit later on anyway, books like Moreta and Dragonsdawn are set waaaaaaay before Dragonflight.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Within a week of Republic of Thieves I reckon.

And shortly before The Winds of Winter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

And shortly before The Winds of Winter

Ya know what? It's going happen now, where they are all released in one month. Not too pushed about Winds of Winter to be honest.

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Ya know what? It's going happen now, where they are all released in one month. Not too pushed about Winds of Winter to be honest.

It can't be any worse than A Dance with Dragons!

Red Knight by Miles Cameron and enjoying it immensely. It has really grabbed by attention as well, which is unusual as normally fantasy books take a while to get going.
    About 50 pages in there is an excellent skirmish with a creature if the 'wild' and the descriptions are vivid and it feels brutal. Not intentionally shocking like Abercrombie but just savage.
    Can all ready see that the author has a bit if a medieval weapon fetish but its not tedious like Jordan and his silken dresses. It is only early and it might end up like that.
    Hopefully the quality keeps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finally finished River of Blue Fire by Tad Williams. It's an interesting idea, but his characters do nothing for me which ruins it. Will be awhile, if ever, before I try the third in the series.
    Started Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, ok so far, just getting started.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Currently reading "The Fractal Prince" by Hannu.. Something. Anyway, it's intriguing but does require a good bit of concentration as you try to work out how a post-Singularity solar system works. I mean it's hard to tell what's real and what's virtual ("vir"), what's a program, etc. Really original though, just like "The Quantum Thief" as it blends hard sci-fi, Arabian mysticism and some good old heist action (albeit heists done at a quantum level rather than the "Ocean's 11" type).

Also reading "The Atrocity Archies", the first book in Charles Stross's "Laundry" series. Enjoying the mix of espionage and Cuthulu-like incantations.
    Let me know how you found it when you finish.
    Found "Forge of Darkness" tough at times - quite heavy on the philosophizing and the Tiste really are a broody bunch. Needed more humour. Having said that, it's interesting to see the characters as they were and working out how they'll end up in their positions as they were in the Malazan books. Also setting a novel primarily around one event - a civil war - is something newer. A bit of a smaller scale in many respects. The Azathani though are seriously "leet"!

mcgovern wrote: »
    Finally finished River of Blue Fire by Tad Williams. It's an interesting idea, but his characters do nothing for me which ruins it. Will be awhile, if ever, before I try the third in the series.
    Just wonder what is was that you disliked about the characters so much? A friend of mine read the first couple of books but the likes of !Xabbu and his tales of Father Mantis annoyed him so much that he couldn't continue. Personally though I really liked the series.

• Advertisement

Just wonder what is was that you disliked about the characters so much? A friend of mine read the first couple of books but the likes of !Xabbu and his tales of Father Mantis annoyed him so much that he couldn't continue. Personally though I really liked the series.

There is something about Rennie that makes me want to strangle her. I don't mind !Xabbu but don't like him. Fredericks comes across as a whiny kid, and Thargor (can't remember his name) is focused too much on his sickness (understandable in a way I guess). Dread is the only character I actually like in it.

Currently reading "The Fractal Prince" by Hannu.. Something. Anyway, it's intriguing but does require a good bit of concentration as you try to work out how a post-Singularity solar system works. I mean it's hard to tell what's real and what's virtual ("vir"), what's a program, etc. Really original though, just like "The Quantum Thief" as it blends hard sci-fi, Arabian mysticism and some good old heist action (albeit heists done at a quantum level rather than the "Ocean's 11" type).

Also reading "The Atrocity Archies", the first book in Charles Stross's "Laundry" series. Enjoying the mix of espionage and Cuthulu-like incantations.

Found "Forge of Darkness" tough at times - quite heavy on the philosophizing and the Tiste really are a broody bunch. Needed more humour. Having said that, it's interesting to see the characters as they were and working out how they'll end up in their positions as they were in the Malazan books. Also setting a novel primarily around one event - a civil war - is something newer. A bit of a smaller scale in many respects. The Azathani though are seriously "leet"!

Rajaneimi.
    The whole 1001 vibe did make for a more interesting setting than the walking city on Mars.
    Still two great books and eagerly awaiting the third.
    I'm currently reading the rte guide. This years edition isn't a pat h on the early 90s releases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

Just starting on the Dresden files , heard some really good reviews so looking forward to some good books !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Aye I did find it tough at times, but I think the series definitely has promise.

There is something about Rennie that makes me want to strangle her. I don't mind !Xabbu but don't like him. Fredericks comes across as a whiny kid, and Thargor (can't remember his name) is focused too much on his sickness (understandable in a way I guess). Dread is the only character I actually like in it.
    Always liked Dread and his heavy bass music. I wasn't a huge fan of Rennie but she didn't bother me. Admittedly it was a long time ago and I've read much more since then so maybe I wouldn't be as tolerant now. I do know I wrote to Tad Williams about the book but I got a PA replying to me.

Still you liked the book enough to give it a 3* rating on Good Reads so it can't have been all bad.

Be interested to see what you make of "Ready Player One" which I found very enjoyable, and full of enthusiasm, but a little over-rated given all the hype surrounding it.

Always liked Dread and his heavy bass music. I wasn't a huge fan of Rennie but she didn't bother me. Admittedly it was a long time ago and I've read much more since then so maybe I wouldn't be as tolerant now. I do know I wrote to Tad Williams about the book but I got a PA replying to me.

Still you liked the book enough to give it a 3* rating on Good Reads so it can't have been all bad.

Be interested to see what you make of "Ready Player One" which I found very enjoyable, and full of enthusiasm, but a little over-rated given all the hype surrounding it.

I'm enjoying it so far,~30% through. It's not particularly well written, and doesn't have an original idea as such (quite similar actually to the Otherland series in many ways), but it is easy to read, and its interesting to see how much of the pop culture references I get.

Reading "The Twelve" by Justin Cronin, the second book in his Passage trilogy. 12% in and enjoying it so far and like the idea of going back to the viral outbreak for a bit as it was glossed over a little too much in the original book.

Quiet day in work today so managed to finish Ready Player One. I really enjoyed it. I think the main difference for me was that I never really wanted to go to Otherland, but would love to experience OASIS.
    For anyone who hasn't read it, I'd definitely recommend it.

Next up I'm starting Evil for Evil by K. J. Parker.

Quiet day in work today so managed to finish Ready Player One. I really enjoyed it. I think the main difference for me was that I never really wanted to go to Otherland, but would love to experience OASIS.
    For anyone who hasn't read it, I'd definitely recommend it.

Next up I'm starting Evil for Evil by K. J. Parker.

Aye I thought Ready Player One was pretty good an all.

I'm currently on Shipbreaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (could he not change it to smith or something?). Its pretty good but there are a couple of points where you can see he's trying to be clever. When he settles down and becomes a bit less zeitgeist-y he'll be an even better writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Finished a few quick reads over Christmas. Old Man's War - very likeable, only niggle was that the hero knew how to do everything. Which was a big contrast to Consider Phlebas where the hero knew how to do very little. Enjoyed this one too. Very much looking forward to getting through both series this year.

Also got through the third Dresden book, Grave Peril everyone says that the series takes off with this book and can see why, brilliant stuff. Listened to this one on Audible, really good reading by James Marsters

Just started a second attempt at The Dark Tower, and am about halfway through The Gunslinger. Made it as far as the third book a few years ago, will keep going this time. Had forgotten how much I had enjoyed The Gunslinger, a great little book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Just finished Feists 'magician' and have started silverthorn. I honestly and truly cannot see why 'magician' keeps popping up in peoples favorite fantasy books. It was kinda Meh with no believable magic system whatsoever. The whole magic armour of long dead gods thing was just silly and nonsensical. It was like reading a bad movie where you just have to turn the brain off and go along for the ride. In truth He could have called the book any job that would have meant that he would be able to interact on a certain social level and very little of the book would have changed.

Never even finished it. Terrible book.

Just finished Feists 'magician' and have started silverthorn. I honestly and truly cannot see why 'magician' keeps popping up in peoples favorite fantasy books.
    Nostalgia probably. I really enjoyed it.. but I also read it when I was about 12. If I read it nowadays, against what's out there, I'd probably think very differently. I've kept up with Feist's works since the and objectively they're not all that good but there's something about them that keeps me coming back (especially with it all ending this year!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

Just finished "The Book Thief" very good found it a bit unsettling at times its based in Nazi Germany but a good read very warm hearted I recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Finally finished 'The Hero of Ages' by Brandon Sanderson. Very good ending to the trilogy which I've heard others say was a little rushed at the end, but if so I can't say I felt the same. I found the pace increased quite nicely and the story built to a wonderful little creshendo at the end. I really enjoyed this trilogy, if that's what it is of course, since it kind of continues at a later time with 'Alloy of Law' which I'd actually already read in between the 2nd and 3rd books.

Excellent stuff, and am now starting 'The Way of Kings', which I've had sitting next to my bed for a good while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Oh, and I've just remembered, I've also read 'The Coming of Conan the Cimerian' which I can't remember if I've mentioned before. It wouldn't be going too far to say that I was a little shocked. I went into it expecting it to be outdated and cliche, but in fact I found it to be the exact opposite and feel that a lot of fantasy authors could learn from it. I dunno, maybe I'm just gushing because it surprised me so much, but I can't help thinking that there's something in that old-style fantasy that just hits the right spot, and kind of leaves me wishing more modern day authors could do the same.

Anyway, whatever... it was great. Will be moving onto 'The Bloody Crown of Conan' at the earliest opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Just finished Feists 'magician' and have started silverthorn. I honestly and truly cannot see why 'magician' keeps popping up in peoples favorite fantasy books. It was kinda Meh with no believable magic system whatsoever. The whole magic armour of long dead gods thing was just silly and nonsensical. It was like reading a bad movie where you just have to turn the brain off and go along for the ride. In truth He could have called the book any job that would have meant that he would be able to interact on a certain social level and very little of the book would have changed.

The Empire Trilogy is where it's at. Just think of the Riftwar Saga as Background Material.

I do agree with Ixoy. Feist, like Eddings, is alot better when you read them during your childhood. Nostalgia does indeed play a major part.

Though I will say, unlike Eddings, Feist actually did improve during his later books. I really like his Serpentwar Saga, but it's also depressing.
    Alot of my favorite character in his earlier books got killed there. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

Got through a few bits over Christmas (its great to have some more time for reading!).

Finished Old Mans War and loved it so I went straight into the sequel The Ghost Brigades. Both great fun and fast paced.

I also read Wool Omnibus after some recommendations from friends and I'd definitely recommend it. Well written and a very interesting world.

Currrently 90% through The Way of Kings. Its been on my list for awhile but I was putting it off because 1) its huge! 2) its the first of 10 planned and the only one written. But I'm flying through it and very much enjoying it. Again an interesting world, well written and engaging characters. Lets hope he doesn't take too long to get the next one out!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

Just to echo what a few other people have said. There's some definite nostalgia involved. It was probably the book that really got me into the fantasy genre so it'll always be a favorite of mine. I've stuck with the series through its ups and downs (and there's definitely been a good few downs!) so hopefully it'll end on a high with the last book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

So, Is it worth sticking out silverthorn and the next one?

I have the new day by day armageddon and the twelve sitting on my kindle waiting their turn :)

Advertisement