Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frilly Knickers & Tan Lines

Options
  • 03-06-2008 1:14am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a look at BGRH every so often (to keep me on the straight and narrow), but it seems to me that this whole forum has gone very metrosexual.

With thread titles such as Is it acceptable to drink with your little finger sticking out, the men of boards, men going to the loo in pairs etc it makes me wonder, but also the threads have moved on from the noble arts of comparative anatomy, housework avoidance and hygene non-feasance to relationship talk etc.

There is a night out named the night of corsets or some other nonsense, and it seems like half or more of the posters are now of the female persuasion. They even have their own forum, but that's not enough and they have to have their own thread here. Which is fine I suppose if they are trolling (as does be going on in their thread) but they are joining in, and it seems that many of the topics are marketed towards them.

Next, I see that issues of public importance are being closed by mods - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055305319 and I also see that Mairt decided to run away for some reason, I suspect in the interests of his manhood.

I have to ask, have you all been taken over by metrosexual bodysnatchers, or have I now become the troglodyte in this increasingly effeminate world?

Also, there is now a lady-mod, and she doesn't seem to get the idea underpinning the whole forum - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055301690
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Corsets = mega cleavage on show, so seriously dude how you don't think that should encouraged I don't know.

The thread about listing and comparing BMI is not a good thing, seriously a thread encouraging people to out do each others BMI and who has the largest and brothers trying to increase it is not in fitting with the forum and really even figuring it out should be too much effort for a BGRH brother.

Female posters are welcome to post in BGRH the same as any other forum on the whole site female posters are not to be shunted of to just one forum.
    And heaven forbid the hetro brothers would like drunkenly start flirting with each other in the bar, cos that aint' going to end well.

As for the reall man way to die, that is just stupid and not in fitting with the forums as all brothers would want to live long and drink a hell of a lot of beer.

The wine drinking thread was started by that trolltasitc poster and is not to be taken
    seriously.

So really think not of what the forum can do for you but what you can do for the forum and start the types of threads you want to see there.

Oh and the charter stats no serious thread so rather then lock this I moved it to feedback, your welcome and no I don't have tan lines and my underwear is non of your concern.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

How bout you just ban me instead?

BGRH has shunned Mairt and embraced a feminist overlord (no disrespect to you personally but a major tenant of BGRH is keeping wimmins in the kitchen) and I'm being shunted into a corner for trying to stem the tide of rampant fashion accessorising that appears to have o'ercome the once pristine (morally pristine, otherwise covered in beercans and burn marked 1970s carpets) tower of all that is man.

Forget the frilly knickers - Big Gays & Rampant Homos should be the new name.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Thaedydal wrote: »
    As for the reall man way to die, that is just stupid
    Thaedydal wrote:
    Oh and the charter stats no serious thread so rather then lock this I moved it to feedback,

Contradiction...
    Thaedydal wrote:
    The wine drinking thread was started by that trolltasitc poster and is not to be taken
    seriously.

...or just double standards?
    Thaedydal wrote:
    So really think not of what the forum can do for you but what you can do for the forum and start the types of threads you want to see there.

Or I can say balls to this, I hope you all enjoy your new lives taking it up the pooper.

I like being in the kitchen it is were all the sharp knives are.

1 thread locked does not equal a shunning.

This isn't a corner it is feedback where you are free to raise your concens and I even left a
    tracer in the forum for posters to follow to here to take part in the discussion.

1 thread locked does not equal a shunning.

Quite clearly it is, as can be seen from Mairt's subsequent post.
    This isn't a corner it is feedback where you are free to raise your concens and I even left a
    tracer in the forum for posters to follow to here to take part in the discussion.

Why move it at all though? Maybe because I'm right?

• Advertisement

Mairt choose to do what he wanted, could have pmed the mods or started a feedback thread but he chosse not to, are you his pr spokes person ?

Clearly you want this thread treated seriously and BGRH forum as per the charter is not a place for serious threads or questioning the decisions of the mods.
    This is the forum for that.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Cliff notes on Mairts post? I had a look but couldn't see anything so I assume it was deleted.

Mairt choose to do what he wanted, could have pmed the mods or started a feedback thread but he chosse not to, are you his pr spokes person ?

No, I noticed that BGRH had become very effeminate recently, and looking through the most recent threads I realised Mairt probably thinks something similar.
    Clearly you want this thread treated seriously and BGRH forum as per the charter is not a place for serious threads or questioning the decisions of the mods.
    This is the forum for that.

I want a thread about how BGRH is a forum for shirt-lifters and little girls to be treated seriously?

5starpool wrote: »
    Cliff notes on Mairts post? I had a look but couldn't see anything so I assume it was deleted.

Skty10 posted about how he used the BMI (a way of measuring your weight for people who want to keep fit) to show that he was chronically obese and wanted to see if anyone could beat him. This thread was locked. Mairt then opened another thread saying well done and tried to start a bit of banter, and this thread was locked.

Then, Mairt started another thread saying Good bye - there's no craic anymore in BGRH, and this was also locked.

It's only a side issue anyway, the main issue being how they have become so very metrosexual and modern. I expect a Sex in (and?) the City thread any moment now.

Here's another one - do you see what is very wrong about the modding in this one - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055302644&page=2.

I don't understand why the pic is not suitable for the forum when there is a whole thread dedicated to proper order pictures.

What's worse is that a long time brother actually agrees with this stance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Yeah there's not so much craic in BGRH now. I've stopped reading it mostly as of late. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

There are two types of people on Boards.ie, those that get BGRH and those that don't.

The forum is becoming a victim of it's own success and yes, it has changed direction somewhat, but I am not apologising for that.

As the forum becomes more and more popular, it is becoming increasingly difficult to moderate, hence the addition of two extra mods.
    Also, there is now a lady-mod, and she doesn't seem to get the idea underpinning the whole forum - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055301690

I fail to see what Thaed's gender has to do with moderation. She has a wicked sense of humour that fits in quite well with the general sense of silliness that is BGRH. Plus, she has a wealth of moderating experience that ensures she doesn't moderate in a knee-jerk fashion.

The fact that she looks hot in a corset has nothing to do with her appointment.
    There is a night out named the night of corsets or some other nonsense, and it seems like half or more of the posters are now of the female persuasion. They even have their own forum, but that's not enough and they have to have their own thread here. Which is fine I suppose if they are trolling (as does be going on in their thread) but they are joining in, and it seems that many of the topics are marketed towards them.

If organising for a room full of hot women, with extra cleavage on show makes me a raging meterosexual, then I am guilty as charged. I hope the menfolk of BGRH can forgive me.

I won't bore you with the details of how this came about, suffice to say that like a lot of things in BGRH, it started off as an in joke and has taken on a life of it's own.
    I have to ask, have you all been taken over by metrosexual bodysnatchers, or have I now become the troglodyte in this increasingly effeminate world?

I'll go for the latter.

I don't find much to keep my attention in the Soccer forum. Do I start a thread there moaning about the state of the forum? No, I stay away. I used to be a regular in the Ladies Lounge. Did I dare start a thread there giving out about what the forum has become? No, I simply stopped posting.

If you don't like the way BGRH is run, nobody is forcing you to look at it.

If you don't have the self-discipline to stay away, all it takes is a simple PM to me or one of the other mods and we can organise that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

BG/RH died soon after it was born, teh wimminz killed it

BG/RH we hardly knew ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Here's another one - do you see what is very wrong about the modding in this one - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055302644&page=2.

I don't understand why the pic is not suitable for the forum when there is a whole thread dedicated to proper order pictures.

What's worse is that a long time brother actually agrees with this stance.

Pighead, is that you? Not sure what your referring to in the above post?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I think he means post 51 and after.

6th wrote: »

Ah I see, as on the page linked to there was a pic of a spade!:confused: Well, in relation to that one, if it had gone in to the proper orders pics thread I don't think I would have made a comment one way or another, in relation to it being in that particular thread, I don't think it would have gotten me much business if that was what potential clients were expecting as to perform the actions in the pic would have required far too much effort which none of the brothers would have been willing to provide and therefore I didn't think it was appropriate to the topic being discussed!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

6th wrote: »

Alright I got me a reference!

Yeah, people getting up tight over an old Superman comic panel need to lighten up.

edit: also, I don't see how the manly way to die thread was any less suited to the forum than the debate of Tits&Ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Linky to the Corset pictures please.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Galvasean wrote: »
    Yeah, people getting up tight over an old Superman comic panel need to lighten up.

39540222li.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Linky to the Corset pictures please.

It hasn't happened yet.

It will happen on June 20th.

Though I have some pictures that have been PM'ed to me.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    It hasn't happened yet.

Your damm lucky I'm going to be in Sweden then.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

It hasn't happened yet.

Excuse me?? of whom?? And I thought mine was the only one you saw!!! :eek:

It hasn't happened yet.

PM sent re- PMs, so you can PM;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I used lurk in BGRH. i saw it change utterly. i no longer lurk. whether or not that's a bad thing i dunno, but it certainly has long deviated away from what it was created for. as a community i find it completely unrecognisable. some people leave and don't like the change (like me) others are fine with it. such is the nature of interwebs communities, they evolve. no point in getting uptight about it.

Look, it's a bit like a pick and mix. Take what you want from it and leave (ignore)what you don't, if you see something you don't like point it out and get a call on it made, but don't get all bitchy and whiney about it, start threads on the subjects you would like to see and if a mod locks it refer to the charter and if they are wrong PM them. Don't bloody wait for someone else to start a thread and then complain that it's not what you would like to see, O woe is fcuking me!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Forums change as they get busier. But you can't compare bgrh to tll. Bgrh welcomes more pat on the bum and show us your tits type comments whereas we try to make LL a haven from it. Men are still welcome to post in LL otherwise, so I don't see why women should be restricted from posting in Bgrh. And women who use that forum aren't posting feminist threads, I don't see really what your problem is.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

WindSock wrote: »
    Forums change as they get busier. But you can't compare bgrh to tll. Bgrh welcomes more pat on the bum and show us your tits type comments whereas we try to make LL a haven from it. Men are still welcome to post in LL otherwise, so I don't see why women should be restricted from posting in Bgrh. And women who use that forum aren't posting feminist threads, I don't see really what your problem is.

Agreed. I read/ post occasionally in both forums and they'd both be alot more boring without the occasional interjection from the other 50% of the world.

If you start excluding people because they don't belong to a club this place'd die.

The atheist forum with no God botherers? What'd be the point? People would be discussing something they don't believe exists, so would actually have to talk about nothing.

What would after hours be like if you got rid of either the bleeding heart liberals, or the rascist scumbags? :)

EDIT: I do think in that particular case Thaed may have missed the superdickery.com net meme site where the pic came from, but sure we can't all know everything.

EDITER: Here's an example:http://superdickery.com/index.php?view=article&catid=28%3Asuperdickery&id=66%3Alana-and-lois-owned&option=com_content&Itemid=31

SDooM

I am a comic geek and also read the lj community scans_daily avidly
    so I am well aware of the tag of superdickery re golden age comics.

My stance on that still stands it was not appropriate for the forum,
    comic memes go in the comic forum,
    threads about spanking and power exchange go in S&S,
    threads about how expressions of misogyny are no long fitting in our society belong in humanities.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I dont post an awful lot in the bgrh.

Lucky BGRH.

But i do go to the meets and enjoy them, decent social occasion meeting nice ppl, and put some names to faces.. and some faces to.. erm..

There is a particular pork smelling poster that takes some misguided pride in bashing the forum and the people in it, which unfortunatley reflects poorly upon the member not the forum.

I think that its important that while a forum hold onto its initial theme, remain within the rules of the forum, and if that means re directing a few threads.. so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

SDooM

I am a comic geek and also read the lj community scans_daily avidly
    so I am well aware of the tag of superdickery re golden age comics.

My stance on that still stands it was not appropriate for the forum,
    comic memes go in the comic forum,
    threads about spanking and power exchange go in S&S,
    threads about how expressions of misogyny are no long fitting in our society belong in humanities.

Not being smart and would genuinely like a considered answer- what if something is both funny, AND related to power exchange, misogyny, and "the male condition?"

Advertisement