Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions-June 2008

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Temp never surpassed 12.9c today, 12.5c now, with rh of 91%. Still feels balmy though due to lack of breeze. A most pleasant evening!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Clear overhead and can see distant anvil over the midlands.
    Temp rising here now at 15.2C
    Dp 14C

Snowbie, I know it's a bit cheeky, but is there any chance of a radar close up of north galway (Tuam, Dunmore) from around 8.00pm? Just so I can look back and sigh in times of famine?

Thanks. :)

There you go. A bit of a radar blackout at 2000, so here is 1955,2005, 2010:)

A total of 55.4mm altogether between midnight and midnight, of which 5.1 fell in early morning rain. Thunderstorm ealier, while lacking the sheer intensity of the storm of 31st of May, was much longer lasting (over an hour), with some great house shaking peels. Lightning was very impressive as it was a very dark, gloomy evening. I am still dizzy with pleasure. While I love blizzards and severe, destructive gales, (kinky, I know) thunder is my first weather love, always has been and always will be. This evening delivered well, and I thank God for that. :)

Temp now 13.7c, higher than is has been all day. Feels very muggy out. Still the odd shower passing through but nothing impressive.

92% rh
    995.8 mb falling more quickly.

Edit: wanted to post this updated forecast chart from Met Eireann:

3hr-wind.jpg

Tight squeeze now evident behind the low. Will see how this delivers around the country tomorrow. :)

• Advertisement

Nice one Paddy, impressive rain totals. Can't beat the convective stuff.
    Had a good April with storms but zippo since with only the odd boom.

14.4C
    Dp 13C
    999.1mb

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

A total of 55.4mm altogether between midnight and midnight, of which 5.1 fell in early morning rain. Thunderstorm ealier, while lacking the sheer intensity of the storm of 31st of May, was much longer lasting (over an hour), with some great house shaking peels. Lightning was very impressive as it was a very dark, gloomy evening. I am still dizzy with pleasure. While I love blizzards and severe, destructive gales, (kinky, I know) thunder is my first weather love, always has been and always will be. This evening delivered well, and I thank God for that. :)

Temp now 13.7c, higher than is has been all day. Feels very muggy out. Still the odd shower passing through but nothing impressive.

92% rh
    995.8 mb falling more quickly.

Edit: wanted to post this updated forecast chart from Met Eireann:

Tight squeeze now evident behind the low. Will see how this delivers around the country tomorrow. :)

You pervert! Taking pleasure in our sh1t summer weather..shame on you !

Wind beginning to find voice here now. Mean minute wind speeds between 19 to 22mph. with gusts up to 40mph. Nothing out of the ordinary for lil' old Ireland, but with trees out the back in full leaf, quite a noisy affair outside. Rain not too heavy but penetrating all the same.

11.2c
    93c
    995.9 mb rising very rapidly.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wind really picking up here - it's like autum with leaves flying past the window and I did see a couple of branches on their way down the road. Items not tied down in the garden are also on the move!

Heavy drizzle blowing in the wind. I see Casement is currently gusting 45kts (approx. 50mph) - no mean feat for June!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

hello,

i live in corofin about 6-7 miles south of tuam, yesterday's weather was the worst ive seen ina long time, thunder lightening and a lot of heavy rain

can ye recomment a weather station i could buy ? not too dear ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

DOCARCH wrote: »

Heavy drizzle blowing in the wind. I see Casement is currently gusting 45kts (approx. 50mph) - no mean feat for June!

Even more notable is the mean of 39mph there, a full gale (force 8).
    Could be long time since last time this occurred in June.

Gust of 44mph here, highest on record for June. (1999)

Mothman wrote: »
    Could be long time since last time this occurred in June.
    1991 is last time there was force 8 in June!
    Usually only Malin Head if any record gale force 8 in June, occasionally Belmullet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

1991 is last time there was force 8 in June!

Where's that for (i.e. in 1991) Mothman?

Wind really going here and really noisy given all the trees are in full leaf. Very gusty - probably being funnelled past the Dublin/Wicklow mountains.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Where's that for (i.e. in 1991) Mothman?
    Casement

Gust of 44mph here, highest on record for June. (1999)
    Gust of 44mph SW here also this morning and thats at 6ft!
    We lost electricity for about 30 mins at 810am-presumably the heavily laden tree's at this time of the year were responsible.
    Quick response by the ESB who are out and about very active today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Darwin

Some strong gusts out there - not quite able to blow the wheely bin over yet. It's interesting to listen in to Dublin airport ATC - they are reporting wind gusts of 40 knots (couldn't work out actual direction) and a turbulent approach with some aircraft doing go-arounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Very windy here and noisy.

Dublin Airport @ 10am = 34 Gust 48

And a gust to 51 knots in Casement also.

So strong gusts for June and a sustained gale at Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Darwin

Wind dir at dublin airport is 250 degrees (runway heading is 280 degrees) with much turbulence below 400 feet Wouldn't like to be landing at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dry, reasonably bright, windy but no worse than yesterday so far.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

There having some craic landing those planes, listening to dub atc also. Tis windy alright but will soon pass. Would love to be in france to witness some of those supercells the jetstream will generate, same setup we had yesterday but on a bigger scale. :)

• Advertisement

Listening to the ATC tower is one thing but looking at them (planes) out the window here looks to be a lot of fun.
    But in all fairness, have seen worse. Just because a gale is blowin in June (rare i know) but is no different or no stronger than a gale blowin in December just unusual.

13.5C
    Gusting 30mph
    1000.5mb rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Do you reckon the winds have reached their peak and will begin to calm, apart from the gusts. The AP is starting to rise like.

Improving day here. Wind not too bad, more sun.

Mike.

Fairly heavy short shower - 2.1mm in a couple of minutes.

Not bad, sun on the watery side but its as good as its going to be this week! :(

Mike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hmm June is looking to be a stinker almost as bad as last year's except for the first week which was alright. Our summer in May seems ages ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gonzo wrote: »
    hmm June is looking to be a stinker almost as bad as last year's except for the first week which was alright. Our summer in May seems ages ago now.

Yes very true, some hope in tonights model outputs for early july however, fingers crossed.

A beautiful morning here gave way to some light showers later. Total of 1.8mm between midnight and midnight. Top temp 18.1c, low of 6.4c. Raining quite heavy now, and has already given 1.4mm in the 16 miniutes since midnight.

12.7c
    89%
    1016 mb falling slowly.

Hmmm
    Quite sunny here now(50-50 cloud) after about an hours rain this morning from 1030-1130 registering only 0.3mm
    A cool feeling breezy 15c.

Not quite what the Met had on for here today...20mm of rain plus this is not if I may say so :)

• Advertisement

Indeed I've been awaiting for the rain, but we got a few light showers.

Mike.

Advertisement