Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

washiskin wrote: »
    I was in Drogheda for some cake supplies on Saturday and as per usual didn't eat before I left the house so was in some state by the time I got done; tried that new Italian Deli on the quays - well I tried to - despite having a sign outside and the door being open the nice girl behind the counter told us that the previous night had been so busy the owner had decided not to open that afternoon. Great complaint but not one he should try too often I would say.

Anyway was heading back up Stockwell St and decided on Aileen's Art of Coffee.
    A real little gem there - Soup & any Toastie for 7.50 - Tomato & Basil soup w/ Ham & Cheese toastie for me;gorgeous soup, piping hot and the sandwich was perfectly crisp with a generous amount of filling. O/H went for the fry-up and asked for no beans and juice instead of a hot drink. Nothing was any trouble and the cook even gave him an extra rasher in place of the beans. There was a lovely little area out back with a table and it seemed to be a real suntrap. The loo was spotless too. The outstanding feature however was the two ladies running the place - cheery, chatty and attentive without being intrusive and just seemed like really nice people - I hope the owner realises how lucky they are to have such good staff. Will deffo go back. :)
    aileens has been our family favourite for a year now... great kids menu, kids love the kids hot chocolate, always a friendly welcome... also slimming world breakfast is great

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Yogic wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has tried the new Pizzeria on Wellinton Quay. Its open nights but appears to be very small. Looking for an alternative to la Pizzeria , which had me trawling this site

I've tried it twice. I had a focaccia for lunch last week which was beautiful, full of flavour, very filling and great value for a fiver.

Had a take away pizza on Sunday. I cant stress enough how much I detest mushrooms, I absolutely hate them but my girlfriend loves them so I will often order pizza with them on and just pick them off.

We ordered a pizza, cant remember the name but it was Italian ham, mushroom and mozzarella. It looked and smelled so good that I ignored the mushrooms and just tucked in ! Very, very nice pizza and I cannot wait to get another which I will probably do on Saturday, cant wait !

There's value to be had at a tenner a pizza, after tasting them I wouldn't mind paying 12/14 for one but don't tell Paulo I said that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Yogic

furiousox wrote: »
    Haven't tried it yet but Antica Toscana (the old Boiled Onion) on Shop st do great pizzas.
    I have been there , didn't rate it myself but then its all subjective. I'm sure on another night it would have been fine . Everyone has an off day

Carra23 wrote: »
    Yogic wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has tried the new Pizzeria on Wellinton Quay. Its open nights but appears to be very small. Looking for an alternative to la Pizzeria , which had me trawling this site

I've tried it twice. I had a focaccia for lunch last week which was beautiful, full of flavour, very filling and great value for a fiver.

Had a take away pizza on Sunday. I cant stress enough how much I detest mushrooms, I absolutely hate them but my girlfriend loves them so I will often order pizza with them on and just pick them off.

We ordered a pizza, cant remember the name but it was Italian ham, mushroom and mozzarella. It looked and smelled so good that I ignored the mushrooms and just tucked in ! Very, very nice pizza and I cannot wait to get another which I will probably do on Saturday, cant wait !

There's value to be had at a tenner a pizza, after tasting them I wouldn't mind paying 12/14 for one but don't tell Paulo I said that :-)

Ah sure if that's the price we are talking about , I may as well just try it . Will do so Friday night , if its no good , well sure it will hardly break the bank .

( message to mods : the android app of this site really , really sucks )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Pipmae

washiskin wrote: »
    Anyway was heading back up Stockwell St and decided on Aileen's Art of Coffee.
    A real little gem there - Soup & any Toastie for 7.50 - Tomato & Basil soup w/ Ham & Cheese toastie for me;gorgeous soup, piping hot and the sandwich was perfectly crisp with a generous amount of filling. O/H went for the fry-up and asked for no beans and juice instead of a hot drink. Nothing was any trouble and the cook even gave him an extra rasher in place of the beans. There was a lovely little area out back with a table and it seemed to be a real suntrap. The loo was spotless too. The outstanding feature however was the two ladies running the place - cheery, chatty and attentive without being intrusive and just seemed like really nice people - I hope the owner realises how lucky they are to have such good staff. Will deffo go back. :)
    Just want to say thanks for this. I can't say thanks on the post yet because I haven't enough posts. I'm working on it.:) I'll definitely try it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Pipmae wrote: »
    Just want to say thanks for this. I can't say thanks on the post yet because I haven't enough posts. I'm working on it.:) I'll definitely try it.
    the reason i didnt talk about it on here before is the fact its quite small, not many seats ,dont want it to be too busy when i go there:o

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

I see that Relish is opening in the Art Gallery Cafe on Laurence Street.

Same Relish as Bettystown i suppose? Should be interesting if so :)

So many cafes and restaurants, so little time and money! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Kaylee wrote: »
    So many cafes and restaurants, so little choice and quality! :D

fyp. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

CMpunked wrote: »
    fyp. :pac:

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Very disappointing that Rupee Bettystown refused our order tonight based on the fact we live too far away. Apparently they have stopped delivering to our area (Stamullen). Our last delivery was on 1st July so obviously things have changed in the meantime. Given that we have ordered 2 to 3 takeaways a month averaging €25 to €30 since around April 2011 they could have at least honoured tonight's order.:( They hadn't the decency to even call us themselves. Justeat.ie called us to say they tried to convince them to honour the order based on our order history with them but they refused. Thumbs down here.

Edited to add I checked Justeat.ie Rupee order history and we ordered 32 times in 2011 and 18 times in 2012. Clearly we order far too much takeaway food...LOL!

• Advertisement

So we went to the pizzeria ( never sure if I spell that right , I always feel like it should be pizzaria but the auto correct says different ) on Wellington Quay tonight . I'm fairly sure we have just had the best pizza I have ever had ( although I am drunk and herself is asleep on the couch so it may be over joyousness ).
    it is without any doubt the best value meal we have had in a long time , 2 of us , 2 bottles of wine ( I only had 1 glass lol ) 2 starters and 1 pizza and one lasagne for €63.50 ? It is a strangely laid out place , but both of us had a great time . The food was a bit slow coming ( maybe thats why we had 2 bottles of wine ) but the waiter was suitably apologetic and was probably the highlight of the evening to be honest . We had our reservations about this place but we had a great night. Only thing is that the menu is limited as in its only pizza and lasagne. The waiter said that they will have a more extensive menu shortly but he also explained that they were starting small and trying to get it right bit by bit ( he compared it to foreplay to be honest and he had the whole room laughing but this being a clean site and me being a newbie I will not quote ).
    In short a great night , a sleeping wife , and a not too depleted bank balance .
    8 out of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

To start off, Ive always been a fan of Noodle Box, food portions and quality has always been great in my opinion. But the last couple of times, the standard has dropped to terrible levels.

We ordered a big order the other night: 6 adults, 2 kids got half portions.
    some got chicken, others got beef. My chicken was like rubber, like it was microwaved, it was horrible and didn't finish it, the flavour was not what I was used to getting with the salt and chilli chicken, tasted like it was just chilli and batter, everyone else tried it and said it rotten, undercooked and stale.

The beef was OK according to everyone else, some said the use of spices was very overused and again, most did not finish, the kids liked theirs, they had chicken curry, but didn't finish.

The next day I felt terrible, couldn't eat a thing, a few others also complained of feeling ill.

I really hope they get back to the standard they used to be, but as it stands, I wont be ordering from them again. Horrible, half assed cooking with no fresh meat used. Clearly an overuse of spice to cover up the crappy food. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Xeroid

Have eaten here twice so far and was very impressed. The pizzas were delicious . Second time I went for Canelloni as a test as normallyI am disappointed, not this time, perfect. Paulo said its a secret recipe (ar'nt they all)and was'nt giving it away.Well worth a try and good value.

Had lunch here last Sunday.Went for the roast lamb , not my favorite but it was delicious.No issues with waiting time or service. FYI it's worth trying the beer paddle to sample the beers on tap.

Xeroid wrote: »
    Had lunch here last Sunday.Went for the roast lamb , not my favorite but it was delicious.No issues with waiting time or service. FYI it's worth trying the beer paddle to sample the beers on tap.

Had lunch where ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Cairnes Pub. Xeroid is putting the restaurant name as the subject of the post. I like that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭furiousox

Where's Paulo's Pizzeria?

CPL 593H

Paulos is on Wellington Quay between Bru and Dominics church,used to be The Quays/Tides.

positron wrote: »
    Cairnes Pub. Xeroid is putting the restaurant name as the subject of the post. I like that! :)

Me too. much easier to find reviews going back pages.

I like your style.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

KaiserLu wrote: »
    Have been a long time customer of Bia, but will never be going there again. Arrived in a 3 o clock yesterday. Place wasn't even half full. Myself and OH sat down at a table and watched the 3 waitresses chat to each other for ten minutes (including the older one who appears to be a real favourite on this forum). Never given a menu, or even acknowledged. Tried three or four times to get their attention but was ignored. Another couple came in and were more or less served straight away. Got up and left.

Am I the only one who thinks that standards have slipped majorly in Bia? Food is fine there, but the staff just ain't what they used to be.

I'm new to the Drogheda area and live quite close to Bia. I was hoping to find somewhere nice to go for a leisurely breakfast on Sundays (read the paper, dawdle over coffee etc.). I've tried Bia twice now and both times have been really disappointing - I won't be returning.

The first time, I had my order taken quickly enough and food the food came and was fine - but then I waited over 15 minutes trying to get someone's attention to order more coffee (much waving of menu etc.). I was by myself and would have to gather up my bags to go to and order at the counter so I just gave up. It wasn't busy and there were several waiting staff wandering around, including a women I presume was the supervisor who spent her time chatting with people I think were her friends. I brought it up when I was paying, but she wasn't even that apologetic.

The second time I went with someone, and I ordered the vegetarian breakfast. The order was taken quickly enough, and the food arrived in a decent enough time. But - the 'vegetarian' breakfast has bits of black pudding on the plate (I presume they started to plate up a regular breakfast, then changed to what was actually ordered). I didn't want to ruin the meal of the person I was with, so I just moved it to a side plate and let it go. I didn't even bother complaining, as I knew from my previous visit that it wouldn't get me very far, and I have no intention of ever going in there again.

And! The second time, I ordered orange juice. The waitress came back and said they only had enough for a half glass, and would she bring that over anyway. I said it was fine, but thought they would charge half the price... Alas, no, full price juice on our bill.

So... looking for nice places for Sunday breakfast / brunch. Any suggestions? :)

• Advertisement

Copper kettle is where I started to go for brekkie after bias standards seemed to take a slide.
    Very friendly staff and lovely food.
    They've recently added an Xtra large breakfast to the menu:
    2 eggs, 2 bacon, 3 sausages, 2 white puds,beans, mushrooms, tomato, toast/brown bread, tea or coffee and chips all for 9.95!

Burkes used to be great too which is only a few doors up (both on Peter street opposite Laurence's shopping centre) but not sure if they open on a Sunday.

Bizou is another option but for the price the breakfast isn't worth it. I think it's pretty much half of what CK do for the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Oh that Copper Kettle! Last time I was there was back in 2005, and I thought it was a bit congested up there, but never mind, popular place perhaps, but then I ordered my full breakfast I specifically asked them to not to give me any pudding (not a big fan of that stuff), and what do they do, they gave me FOUR of them! Never been back there since that day - however, that was a loooooong time ago, so may be they deserve another chance.
    So... looking for nice places for Sunday breakfast / brunch. Any suggestions? :)

Try Relish if you fancy working up an appetite walking all the way to South Gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭gipi

Just had coffee and cake at the Brown Hound Bakery - my first visit.

My only recommendation is that you shouldn't go there if you're on a diet....it all looks delicious and far too tempting!! :D

I had the Boston Cream Pie (they call it a "mini" but it's big enough!) and a coffee and it was delish!

I'll be back!

(The Brown Hound Bakery is at Bryanstown, near the Eastern Seaboard & Mo's takeaway, just in case you're not aware).

Thanks , the subject doesn't show up on the Android app. Just going to have to carry my laptop everywhere to engage properly :-)

I would try the Kitchen, just for the pot of Campbells tea alone. Not sure of opening times on Sunday. Just down the steps beside Bia then left passed Eddie Rockets.

Try Relish if you fancy working up an appetite walking all the way to South Gate.

No need to. They're open in the highlanes gallery on laurences street now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Was in Copper Kettle once and both myself and the wifey thought it was rank... food literally had no taste, room was muggy and stale, staff were miserable. Only enjoyment I got out of the place was an appreciation of some of Drogheda's fine architecture! who knew the Central was such a beautiful building from the top down?!

Also, for breakfasts I'd stay well clear of Donegans. I know their general food can be good and their staff I find to be good decent folk, but my gawd their breakfasts have to be cooked in Castrol GTX... yuck!

Mary's Market Cafe do a fine breakfast to my knowledge and of course Bizou albeit's VERY expensive?!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

kormak wrote: »
    Mary's Market Cafe do a fine breakfast to my knowledge

That the one beside the cinema in the Boyne Shopping Centre?
    Thats good very good reviews on here before. Been meaning to try it

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

yep, beside the bookies where all the skangers like to hang out! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

CMpunked wrote: »
    2 eggs, 2 bacon, 3 sausages, 2 white puds,beans, mushrooms, tomato, toast/brown bread, tea or coffee and chips all for 9.95!

Why did I read that in Pat Short's voice?

I love that spot.
    kormak wrote: »
    yep, beside the bookies where all the skangers like to hang out! :rolleyes:

Never seen any TBH, few people from the bookies. Ive seen more Guards getting breakfast than I have skangers.

Advertisement