Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Went to Harper's today. Had the chicken curry with half rice and half chips. My dad had sausages, scrambled eggs, tomato, mushrooms and brown bread. He said the sausages were great, while my curry was yummy.

The chips were nice and big, I'm more of a fan of them than the fries in other places, although the fries you get in Eddie Rockets are great.

I also got a bowl of soup. I thought it would be about the same size as the bowls of soup you can get in Bia, but it was massive. Lovely, but afterwards my tummy hurt, way too much food for me!

My dad still liked the coffee too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Has anyone tried The Riverside Restaurant yet? It's down on the North Quay where Bella Atina used to be. Has an ad in the paper this week saying three courses for two with bottle of wine for 45 yoyos!

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Thought I would try Mo's Takeaway at Bryanstown Cross Route today. Waited four minutes without my order being taken before I walked out. Seems that they are too busy taking phone orders then dealing with the people standing in front of them. Went up to the takeaway in Wheaton Hall instead. Cant be beaten imo....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Lister1 wrote: »
    Thought I would try Mo's Takeaway at Bryanstown Cross Route today. Waited four minutes without my order being taken before I walked out. Seems that they are too busy taking phone orders then dealing with the people standing in front of them. Went up to the takeaway in Wheaton Hall instead. Cant be beaten imo....

Four minutes? Sounds a bit impatient to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 closecall

"Has anyone tried The Riverside Restaurant yet? It's down on the North Quay where Bella Atina used to be. Has an ad in the paper this week saying three courses for two with bottle of wine for 45 yoyos!"

being there twice for dinner and once for lunch, tonight being the latest time, the menu has gotten allot bigger and better, staff are nice food is good decor is excellent and so is the price, top marks and we will be back again, oh they are family friendly (for us baby) also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

flyswatter wrote: »
    Four minutes? Sounds a bit impatient to say the least.

Expect an order to be taken within that time especially if they arent busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Was in Bru last night for the first time, would definitely go back, food was lovely, service was friendly and attentive without being in your face and I thought €22 for 3 courses is good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Expect an order to be taken within that time especially if they arent busy.
    had this problem in dominics before, stated it on here and its all good now:) hate ignorant staff ignoring you when they are not busy

closecall wrote: »
    being there twice for dinner and once for lunch, tonight being the latest time, the menu has gotten allot bigger and better, staff are nice food is good decor is excellent and so is the price, top marks and we will be back again, oh they are family friendly (for us baby) also
    where is "there"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

The pheasant has a new Menu now, been twice in last 2 weeks and cant fault it so far.
    The burgers are excellent, come well topped and with plenty of chips.
    You get a little pot with chopped onions mixed with tomato ketchup which is a nice addition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 closecall

whelan1 wrote: »
    where is "there"?

The Riverside Restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dubdee

Was in Bru last night for the first time, would definitely go back, food was lovely, service was friendly and attentive without being in your face and I thought €22 for 3 courses is good value.

We went in for lunch there early last Sunday and it was empty. Within an hour every table was full. We thought the food was lovely, great value for money and the service was good even when the place was mobbed at around 2pm. Very family-friendly, lots of babies there and they had plenty of high-chairs

Went to the Riverside on Sunday night with himself, the sister & brother-in-law. It was fairly packed, more than I thought it would be. We didn't have a reservation so the girl put us sitting in the lounge while they cleared a table. She left us sitting there for about five mins before she came over, didn't come back to take a drinks order or anything for another ten mins but then took us straight to the table.
    The menu is huge and a good selection of dishes on it! I had garlic mushrooms to start - they were a bit underdone for my liking (a bit of a crunch to them) but very tasty. Had panfried cod for mains which came with a Ray D'Arcy special of an egg on top of it! Very strange combination, or at least not one that you see that often on a menu but very tasty. Sticky Toffee Pudding for afters which wasn't that nice to be honest, it was gone a bit hard at the bottom from reheating I think. Everyone else enjoyed their meals too.
    45 euro including a bottle of wine per couple - can't go wrong! :) The wine wasn't that great but it was drinkable. And because only two of us were on wine, and we wouldn't have gotten through the second bottle, the waitress gave us the second bottle to take home (altho we had to hide it under our coats so that they wouldn't see). :) Service was on the slow side but we weren't in a hurry. Will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

closecall wrote: »
    being there twice for dinner and once for lunch,

Whats the lunch menu like?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    She left us sitting there for about five mins before she came over, didn't come back to take a drinks order or anything for another ten mins but then took us straight to the table.
    I had garlic mushrooms to start - they were a bit underdone for my liking (a bit of a crunch to them) but very tasty. Had panfried cod for mains which came with a Ray D'Arcy special of an egg on top of it! Very strange combination, or at least not one that you see that often on a menu but very tasty. Sticky Toffee Pudding for afters which wasn't that nice to be honest, it was gone a bit hard at the bottom from reheating I think. Everyone else enjoyed their meals too.
    The wine wasn't that great but it was drinkable. Service was on the slow side but we weren't in a hurry. Will be back.

Fifteen minutes without even a drinks order. Two of three courses not right. And wine that wasn't great, with slow service.
    I wouldn't be going back at all to be honest. Did the other people with you have any complaints too?

D rog wrote: »
    Fifteen minutes without even a drinks order. Two of three courses not right. And wine that wasn't great, with slow service.
    I wouldn't be going back at all to be honest. Did the other people with you have any complaints too?

Well, it wasn't as bad as it sounds! I think it is "new restaurant-itis". There were only three waitresses for the whole place which was full to the brim, including several tables eating in the lounge. There didn't seem to be a manager in charge (although I'm sure there was). For the price of it, you really couldn't complain. And no, everyone else throughly enjoyed their meals.

Recently started to order food from Himalayan Tandoori since there was a void left to fill now that King of Kings is gone. Have to say the take away from HT is great. Me and the OH got food from there 3 times in the last month and anything we've ordered has been very fresh and tasty. It just about beats Punjab House for me, and their onion bahjis are severe.

I know it isn't Drogheda, but I may as well give the Poet's Rest in Slane a mention while I'm at it. Recently went for a meal there, 2 of us. We ordered our food from the a la carte menu but when we went to pay we were only charged as if we ordered from the specials menu, which was a difference of about 20 euro to our bill. We had chiken wings and goats cheese crostini to start, then both went for surf and turf for our mains. The steak on the stone was amazing as well as a novelty, not sure if I' want to eat all my steak that way but it was a fun and satisfying experience. Service was very helpful and the food was brought out quickly, but not too quickly, definitely worth another visit soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Oceans12

MO's is over rated, and under staffed, went in one evening and waited few mins , they were too busy preparing orders than to deal with new orders at the counter...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Don't know if many call The Gateway a "Restaurant" or "Cafe" more so but today I had a meal in it and I have to say I left most of it behind.
    The meat was like reheated rubber, far too much cooking oil (it was dripping off the food!) and as for the chips, utterly rotten. The chips were like large chunky chips and they tasted dry, bland and it was like trying to eat lumps of dry flour, tasteless crap. Rotten.

I won't be returning there for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Biggins wrote: »
    Don't know if many call The Gateway a "Restaurant" or "Cafe" more so but today I had a meal in it and I have to say I left most of it behind.
    The meat was like reheated rubber, far too much cooking oil (it was dripping off the food!) and as for the chips, utterly rotten. The chips were like large chunky chips and they tasted dry, bland and it was like trying to eat lumps of dry flour, tasteless crap. Rotten.

I went in there when it reopened, microwaved crap is all you can expect.
    I never went back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭muckyprawn

Oceans12 wrote: »
    MO's is over rated, and under staffed, went in one evening and waited few mins , they were too busy preparing orders than to deal with new orders at the counter...

My thoughts exactly...I went there about two months ago and ordered at the counter. I was waiting about 40mins. I was watching the fella behind the counter putting the chips in bags...I'd swear he was putting one chip in at a time. Unbelievably slow. Tasty food though.

Biggins wrote: »

Dunno about lunch/dinner food, but the brekkies in there are something else. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

OH and her parents checked out Relish few days ago for lunch, and they loved it. She places Relish at level or possibly even better than Bia.

CMpunked wrote: »
    Dunno about lunch/dinner food, but the brekkies in there are something else. :D
    explain? if the other posts on this place are anything to go by i cant imagine breakfast being any better

Woops, may have read that a little too quickly, i got it mixed up with burkes.
    Carry on, ignore this babbling madman. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Drogmal

kbell wrote: »
    The pheasant has a new Menu now, been twice in last 2 weeks and cant fault it so far.
    The burgers are excellent, come well topped and with plenty of chips.
    You get a little pot with chopped onions mixed with tomato ketchup which is a nice addition.

Here, here. I had two stir frys here (Szaechuan with Chicken and Blackbean with beef) in the last 2 weeks and the ladyfriend had pasta. I would go as far as to say it is the best home cooking in town, definitely the most underrated place and great value. The menu has a wide range and I don't think I've ever been disappointed with a meal there.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 realtinh

Has anyone been to the Black Bull recently for an evening meal? I haven't been in a few years because the service got really bad, but I'm told it's a lovely place to eat now. Anyone have any input? Is the menu nice? any well priced set menus?

realtinh wrote: »
    Has anyone been to the Black Bull recently for an evening meal? I haven't been in a few years because the service got really bad, but I'm told it's a lovely place to eat now. Anyone have any input? Is the menu nice? any well priced set menus?

Was up there a few days ago for lunch.
    They have a sign outside that says "3 course lunch €10.50"
    On the second page of the menu it has two options for the set lunch;
    Veg soup or cajun chicken salad
    Homemade beef burger, pepper sauce, mash, carrots and peas.
    Pavlova

or

Veg soup or cajun chicken salad
    Homemade beef burger, pepper sauce, mash, carrots and peas.
    Tea/Coffee

I thought it looked a little stingy. I understand sometimes that tea or coffee following a meal is technically a course, but the same main was a bit of a shame.
    Now in saying that, it was beautiful. Decent portion and cooked beautifully. Well worth the 10 quid but because its only one thing i wont go for that particular offer too soon again.

Was also up for an evening meal with family few months back too, just after new years and place was excellent. I cant remember exactly what I had. (chicken something) but I do remember everyone around the table shoving forkfulls in each others mouths "Try this! Oh this is devine!" etc.

So from those two experiences i've had its pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

realtinh wrote: »

Had a midweek evening meal there recently. Nothing special to be honest, just average pub grub. We were seated, given menus and abandonned! Never even asked if we wanted drinks. One of us had to trek off to the bar for a few drinks and it tooks ages to be served there It wasn't very busy either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

CMpunked wrote: »
    I do remember everyone around the table shoving forkfulls in each others mouths "Try this! Oh this is devine!" etc.

Animals. :p

Advertisement