Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭KaiserLu

starbuy85 wrote: »
    Indus has reopened on dyer st beside Jaffa in firzwilliam court, went there last night and was really impressed. Food was delicious we both had the king prawn for starter,chicken shashlik for main which was a big portion and very tasty, I had the chicken jalfrezi which was lovely just a tad bit too spicy for me, altough the coriander naan and raita helped with that! The service was excellent the owner has taken a very active role and cannot do enough for his customers we got a great deal inc bottle of wine 2 starters and 2 mains for €44. We even got a complimentary drink at the end of the night, food prices are definitely cheaper than Indus or rupee and the kitchen is on view which gives confidence in their cooking. Very happy overall and will definitely be back

Is that where Coyle's was? When did it close?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Went to the Rendezvous in Mell on Fathers day and I have to say it was very very good. Its run by some sound french bloke now and for evenings the menu has a lot more of a french look about it he was saying, though he mentioned a friday night in particular for some reason!
    But even for the sunday lunch menu there was a bit of french there as well. The mussels mariniere starter in particular was class, tons of them, they came in this big mad pot yoke with a load of tasty flavoured bread as well! Really good.
    The mains were very nice as well. Great portions, no complaints whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 1 katie1989

coyles is closed abt 2 months now,indus is in d same place coyles was!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭KaiserLu

Have been a long time customer of Bia, but will never be going there again. Arrived in a 3 o clock yesterday. Place wasn't even half full. Myself and OH sat down at a table and watched the 3 waitresses chat to each other for ten minutes (including the older one who appears to be a real favourite on this forum). Never given a menu, or even acknowledged. Tried three or four times to get their attention but was ignored. Another couple came in and were more or less served straight away. Got up and left.

Am I the only one who thinks that standards have slipped majorly in Bia? Food is fine there, but the staff just ain't what they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

KaiserLu wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks that standards have slipped majorly in Bia? Food is fine there, but the staff just ain't what they used to be.

I've said it before, since that Portuguese(?) manager left it seems to have gone downhill more and more.
    Its not just the waiting that seems to have suffered, the food has gotten more and more greasy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Anyone else think the standard of Rupee in Bettystown has dropped? In particular the chicken being served in the likes of Jalfrezi or Achari isn't the same quality as I've had there before.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

went back to the kitchen on sat.....and sun :)

it's officially my fave, i hope it does well!

Was in Simona Cafe yesterday, really nice place.
    Food was delish and not overpriced either for good fresh food made well.
    Only downside is menu appears limited, but i would say if you were to order some obscure relatively unknown italian dish they would be happy to put it together for you.

Will definitely be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Pipmae wrote: »
    Anyone else think the standard of Rupee in Bettystown has dropped? In particular the chicken being served in the likes of Jalfrezi or Achari isn't the same quality as I've had there before.:(

Do you mean the take away?? I had my first take away from Rupee a few months ago and thought it was pretty good. Then the next time it was good too but the last one I got wasn't a patch on the other two. A pan fried potato and lentil thingy that I'd had before and loved, turned out to now be a horrible dry thing that had been crumbed and deep fried. The rest of the meal wasn't as good as it used to be either. Pity.... :(

sudzs wrote: »
    Do you mean the take away?? I had my first take away from Rupee a few months ago and thought it was pretty good. Then the next time it was good too but the last one I got wasn't a patch on the other two. A pan fried potato and lentil thingy that I'd had before and loved, turned out to now be a horrible dry thing that had been crumbed and deep fried. The rest of the meal wasn't as good as it used to be either. Pity.... :(
    Yes the takeaway. I haven't eaten in the restaurant but we've used the takeaway approx once a week for the last 6 months. We've had two in a row now that had poor quality chicken so I'll be going back to Punjabi House if I get a third.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Bad news all,la pizzeria is closing at the end of the week,I'd like to wish John Carlos a happy retirement.
    But where will we go from now on???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

moonshadow wrote: »
    Bad news all,la pizzeria is closing at the end of the week,I'd like to wish John Carlos a happy retirement.

Christ, had some good memories of nights out in that place through the years, sorry to see it go.
    Its a Drogheda institution La Pizzeria !:)
    (i presume its the one on Peter street )

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

Noooooo, say it isn't so?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

And sorrento's is still open??? Bleh..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I believe the pizzeria will still be open alas not with jean Carlos , heard his partner from previous years is back to run it - pizzas will hardly be as tasty .
    On a positive note the rumour is that he ' s not going back to France and he might be back in business before ya know it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

blingrhino wrote: »
    I believe the pizzeria will still be open alas not with jean Carlos , heard his partner from previous years is back to run it - pizzas will hardly be as tasty .
    On a positive note the rumour is that he ' s not going back to France and he might be back in business before ya know it ;)
    Was speaking to him earlier. He is def going but uncertainity over if it will remain open. They are still trying to sort out rent issues. I for one will miss the place. I have practically eaten there nearly every week for the past 14 years! Great times.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

CMpunked wrote: »
    Was in Simona Cafe yesterday, really nice place.
    Food was delish and not overpriced either for good fresh food made well.
    Only downside is menu appears limited, but i would say if you were to order some obscure relatively unknown italian dish they would be happy to put it together for you.

Will definitely be back.

where is this?

Rossin wrote: »
    where is this?

Beside "The kitchen" Which is beside eddie rockets.. That is beside bia, which is across from scotch hall... beside the river. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

Never got the whole cliquey culture of that Pizzeria place, if you weren't a regular customer or the Pope then you have f**k all chance of getting a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Never got the whole cliquey culture of that Pizzeria place, if you weren't a regular customer or the Pope then you have f**k all chance of getting a table.

Was only there a handful of times myself, but f*ck me, the pizzas were unreal!
    Sad to see it go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

That's seriously bad news. It's my favourite restaurant by a mile and I'm unlikely to get down this week for a final sitting. :-( I've been eating there for twenty years and will miss it and JC and his ways. I'm sad

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Dingatron wrote: »

That's seriously bad news. It's my favourite restaurant by a mile and I'm unlikely to get down this week for a final sitting. :-( I've been eating there for twenty years and will miss it and JC and his ways. I'm sad

I've never eaten there but love pizza so have I a chance to try one tomorrow or has it actually closed already ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Carra23 wrote: »
    I've never eaten there but love pizza so have I a chance to try one tomorrow or has it actually closed already ?

I think its closing on Saturday. Give them a ring @ 041 983 4208 and you might get a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Drawda Girl

Been lucky enough to eat out twice this week. Firstly in the restaurant at the Glenside Hotel last Sunday evening. Four of us for dinner and we were all very happy with our meals. I can definitely recommend the Penne Pasta with Chicken in a Roasted Tomato Cream Sauce. The Chef kindly made mine without the cream when requested :) The Cajun Chicken Sizzler was apparently the best my brother had ever tasted! The other 2 diners had the Turkey & Ham and both were very pleased with their choice. All desserts were delicious, in particular, the Warm Chocolate Brownies...yum:)

Today, we ate in The Kitchen, South Quay for the first time. My friend had "Chicken with Pears" which sounded unusual, but was in fact delicious! The Hake in Chick Pea Batter got the thumbs up from my husband and my Tomato & Aubergine Pasta was really good. Desserts of Backlava, Eaton Mess and Lemon Drizzle Cake rounded off a great day in very pleasant surroundings.

I will definitely be returning to the Glenside and The Kitchen.

Pipmae wrote: »
    We gave Rupee another go (the final chance) at the weekend and I'm happy to report it was gorgeous. Hopefully my couple of bad experiences are in the past. They're back as the favourite.:)

Edited to add - I've heard great things about D'Vine - they new tapas menu is meant to be lovely. Has anyone tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mornington man

Went there on Wed. Night (4th July) as part of a group of 5.
    Table booked for 7.30 pm and we were ushered to our table, noted that it was not busy, about 30% full. We were given our menu's in old Comic Annuals (mine was the 2005 Dandy) which was quirky, but quickly noted that the menu is limited. Drinks order taken and arrived as expected, then food orders taken. We had decided (in advance) on Mains/Dessert/Tea, Coffee. Order taken circa 7.40.
    We were then given bread, which was home-made, fresh, chunky and crispy. The butter came in a dish, (straight from the fridge) and was rock hard and impossible to spread on the lovely fresh bread. Bread was very nice, then it was 8.00 and nothing, then 8.10, we were about to check when we were given complimentary soup (Carrot and Coconut) in little cups, which was very tasty. The soup came with more bread. Its now 8.20 and other tables are having difficulty as well. We can observe heated discussions with the waiting staff and we decide to ask if all is OK with our order, we are told that our meal will be ready shortly. The first of many apologies is made, at 8.40 our meal starts to arrive, it took 3 visits by a single waiter to deliver 2 Spare Rib and 3 Chicken dishes.
    Ribs: Very tasty and fell off the bone, but not as good as the Eastern Seaboard, they came with a potato salad, made from purple potatoes and a mayo dressing, although they tasted OK they looked "funny" and I did not finish them. They came in 2 bowls on a paddle, but we were not offered a plate or a bowl of warm water to clean your fingers etc. The food was tasty with a tight portion.
    Chicken: had a lemon flavour and all (3) pronounced it delicious, it came with corn on the cob, which was changed to mixed veg for 1 on request, again all were happy with the quality of the food. I ordered a side of their "famous double cooked chips", which are more wedges in reality, they were nice except a number of them were quite large and somewhat undercooked.
    The Manager then came to our table and apologised and informed us that we would be getting a complimentary medley of deserts.
    When the waiter was clearing our table, he enthused about the forthcoming medley, which sadly took another 20 mins to arrive. We had to ask for plates to share them and again all were happy with the quality and taste. We were then given complimentary tea/coffee. The tea came in individual tea pots which poured well (not what one normally finds!!) and all professed themselves happy. The coffee was warm at best and disappointed.
    Overall view, Food was very good, but the delays were very bad. We were not the only people to have issues. The staff are under pressure, but overall were pleasant. Although only recently opened, they should be getting their act together by now. Will need a vast improvement before I would return. (which I hope happens as this venue is a welcome addition to the town. :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

That's a great review mornington man - sounds like they are having trouble organizing orders, but are still focusing on quality and taste and apologizing for the mistakes and offering loads of complementary stuff to make up for their mistakes - it actually sounds like they actually care!!!!! :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Yogic

Just wondering if anyone has tried the new Pizzeria on Wellinton Quay. Its open nights but appears to be very small. Looking for an alternative to la Pizzeria , which had me trawling this site

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Haven't tried it yet but Antica Toscana (the old Boiled Onion) on Shop st do great pizzas.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I was in Drogheda for some cake supplies on Saturday and as per usual didn't eat before I left the house so was in some state by the time I got done; tried that new Italian Deli on the quays - well I tried to - despite having a sign outside and the door being open the nice girl behind the counter told us that the previous night had been so busy the owner had decided not to open that afternoon. Great complaint but not one he should try too often I would say.

Anyway was heading back up Stockwell St and decided on Aileen's Art of Coffee.
    A real little gem there - Soup & any Toastie for 7.50 - Tomato & Basil soup w/ Ham & Cheese toastie for me;gorgeous soup, piping hot and the sandwich was perfectly crisp with a generous amount of filling. O/H went for the fry-up and asked for no beans and juice instead of a hot drink. Nothing was any trouble and the cook even gave him an extra rasher in place of the beans. There was a lovely little area out back with a table and it seemed to be a real suntrap. The loo was spotless too. The outstanding feature however was the two ladies running the place - cheery, chatty and attentive without being intrusive and just seemed like really nice people - I hope the owner realises how lucky they are to have such good staff. Will deffo go back. :)

Advertisement