Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

King of Kings has closed?!?! Can anyone confirm this other than me driving down to check. I still have a menu as well...... ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Lantus wrote: »
    King of Kings has closed?!?! Can anyone confirm this other than me driving down to check. I still have a menu as well...... ;(

The phone number no longer works. Others posted its closed also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

There is now a new name over the door of KOK. Master Chef it's called now, and it says it is going to be a Chinese buffet style restaraunt.

I know Ti and Lily, the young couple that worked in KOK are planning on opening a new Chinese in Southgate this summer. AFAIK they are only waiting on planning permission or something along those lines. Hopefully it goes ahead and it's the same quality of KOK.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

The Kitchen (beside Eddie Rockets)

Strolled in just before 1pm, delighted to try somewhere new, its the centre of the town so I didn't have to make an effort to get there,happy days. Have to say I was pretty hungry so my first impression when I opened the menu was "I'm going to Eddie Rockets!" I was a bit baffled by the menu at first, there is a salad selection along the top then there are a few sambo's and some specials beneath. Not quite what I was hoping for or maybe just not used to seeing something different! When I'm hungry all I think of is big homely food. Anyway I went with the rump steak sambo & caramelised onions, ignoring the salad as I wanted "food food" :) When she brought it out it looked amazing,a fancy baguette with steak, lettuce, onions, cheese, it was delicious, my description does not do it justice! less then €6 for that! She also brought out a generous sample of two of the salads which I ended up ordering after I had gobbled them down,they were lovely and went great with the steak.(good sales woman eh!)

I think the idea is you pick your fancy sambo and a few different salads from the range they have on offer that day to make yourself a nice little lunch. This is probably nothing new but to the regular "cajun chicken panini, fries and salad please" person like myself, it definitely is and I have to say I loved it and cant wait to go back with a few of my pals

Top marks. I'll reserve judgement on whether its my new favourite lunch spot after the second visit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I know that, technically, it's in Meath but I thought I'd share my experience of Relish in Bettystown today.

Little sis has been laid up for 2 weeks with broken ribs so I thought I'd take her out to the beach today for a bit of fresh air and maybe a nice bite to eat. As we drove along the front I pointed out said establishment and remarked that the good folks on DRR here had been pretty positive about it so we parked and ventured inside. We were seated in the front room at a small table but asked if it was ok to go to a bigger spot so sis could avoid having to move for other patrons. No probs, got a seat by the window.
    The waitress gave us plenty of time to peruse and took our order. So far, so good.
    When the food arrived there was a distinct aroma of fish off the chips but they looked good & tasted fine so we said nothing. Then I put my hand under the plate to move it and discovered it was dirty - like something had stuck to it in the dishwasher - but we were too hungry and shy to say anything so just put up with it. The sandwiches were, in fairness, really lovely.
    When we finished, we put the plates at the far edge of the table and waited for someone to come back so we could order dessert & coffee - and waited, and waited. In the middle of this a very officious waitress/manager came in with 2 more plates of food and barked "Are these not for you?" We said no and tried to make conversation but mid sentence she exited the room. Fair enough, she was busy.
    After a few more mins, sis went to the loo and on the way back I asked her if there were any staff nearby to order from - just the previous waitress/manager who was busy with someone else.
    After 15 mins I said enough was enough and we'd just pay & get a cuppa elsewhere. We went to settle up and that took 2 people to do it - not one "How was your meal?" and even more annoyingly no "Thank you" in fact the second waitress was quite surly.
    In a nutshell, lovely food, lovely setting but spoiled by a waiting staff who didn't seem bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

That's a bummer. I wonder if that Relish is linked to the Relish in SouthGate (got to be right?) which I heard good reviews about. Shame on them for treating customers like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

positron wrote: »
    That's a bummer. I wonder if that Relish is linked to the Relish in SouthGate (got to be right?) which I heard good reviews about. Shame on them for treating customers like that.

Indeed it is. When you walk in above the door is a big "Early sunrise, Relish cafe bettystown" picture.

Went in to the southgate relish yesterday and it was very nice. Pricey, but well worth it. Salad, cake and cheese selection is something else. Staff are very friendly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

CMpunked wrote: »
    Indeed it is. When you walk in above the door is a big "Early sunrise, Relish cafe bettystown" picture.

Went in to the southgate relish yesterday and it was very nice. Pricey, but well worth it. Salad, cake and cheese selection is something else. Staff are very friendly too.

Seeing them in their little fridge by the counter as we paid was as close as we got to the cakes yesterday, unfortunately :rolleyes:

On a more positive note I went into BT Bistro (iirc) just by the main beach entrance for the coffee & cakes yesterday after Relish & it was a totally different ball-game helpful staff, nice atmosphere and the take-out cappuccino was great! Loved the little library on the way in the door too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

So much cake! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Saw lease was available recently for the Cafe in Highlanes, just heard it is been taken on by a restaurant recently mentioned here. They already run 2 restaurants local(ish).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭GreenLady

washiskin wrote: »
    In a nutshell, lovely food, lovely setting but spoiled by a waiting staff who didn't seem bothered.

that's been a bit of a problem with Relish lately - so we've solved it by heading in the opposite direction. There is very little difference in price between Relish and the Eastern Seaboard at lunch time and the service is from a different planet - food is better too. So sorry Relish but bye bye. I think you've forgotten the customers who made your reputation.

Oceans12 wrote: »
    MO's is over rated, and under staffed, went in one evening and waited few mins , they were too busy preparing orders than to deal with new orders at the counter...

Certainly understaffed but not over rated - love the food. Wondering where Mo's2, announced on FB this week, is going to be

furiousox wrote: »
    What about the Glenside?

Last time I ate there food was frozen inside and friend found mould on the bread of her sandwich - we won't ever, ever be back

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Wm Cairnes is open from today. Anyone planning on going to check it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

muckyprawn wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly...I went there about two months ago and ordered at the counter. I was waiting about 40mins. I was watching the fella behind the counter putting the chips in bags...I'd swear he was putting one chip in at a time. Unbelievably slow. Tasty food though.

40 minutes is slow alright. But in fairness the reason that they are slow is that they cook the chips when they are ordered and you get fresh chips and not a ball of grease like it most places. Only Beshoff's in Dublin serve better fish and chips in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

We had a confirmation lunch/carvery in the Glenside couple of weeks back.
    Everyone loved it, food really good and excellent portions.
    Didnt hear one complaing from anyone about the food, would go back again in the future.
    I had not been in the glenside in years, so wasnt expecting much but was pleasantly surprised.
    Very nice and helpful lady on reception made sure we were well looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Wm Cairnes is open from today. Anyone planning on going to check it out?

Hoping to get down there over the next week. Decor looks great and I love craft beers. Any reviews on the food?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

Dingatron wrote: »
    Hoping to get down there over the next week. Decor looks great and I love craft beers. Any reviews on the food?
    Was in there for drinks on friday evening. Good selection of beers but a tad on the expensive side (around €5.25 for a pint). Didnt eat there but looked at the menu. Looks reasonable enough.
    Friendly staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hoping to get to Wm Cairnes shortly.

I used to visit Relish in Southgate quite regularly, and to be honest, I never really enjoyed it. Any main course came microwaved and the salad selection was stuck in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭muckyprawn

drogdub wrote: »
    40 minutes is slow alright. But in fairness the reason that they are slow is that they cook the chips when they are ordered and you get fresh chips and not a ball of grease like it most places.

It doesn't take 40mins to cook a few chips...I'm not dissing the food, it is good, but the service is far too slow when ordering at the counter.

On another note, I was recently in the Glenside...I had a duck spring roll for starter which was tasty, then the main came out and it wasn't what I had ordered. I sent it back and in the meantime a waitress came back and basically told me that it was what I ordered, I can accept it was a mistake but to be basically told I was wrong wasn't on and unnecessary. By the time it came out everyone else had finished and I was to annoyed to enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

appleb wrote: »
    Was in there for drinks on friday evening. Good selection of beers but a tad on the expensive side (around €5.25 for a pint). Didnt eat there but looked at the menu. Looks reasonable enough.
    Friendly staff.

I was in on Saturday, pints of Rebel Red, Trouble Ór, Friar Weisse and Belfast Blonde were €4.80. Bottle of things like Galway Hooker were €5.25

Menu looks interesting, I didn't try anything though

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Was in Fate in Bettystown ( dont seem to have a restaurant review in the Meath forum) at the start of May, couldn't post this at the time as I had an issue with my boards acc.

I've been living close to Bettystown since 2009 and tried all the Chinese takeaways around the area and thought Fate was head n shoulders above the rest. Had always intended on going in for sit down meal and only got arount to it last month.

The food was tops but for starter I order salt n chilli chicken wings and I was handed BBQ ribs, didn't complain cos I like them both anyway.

For mains I ordered beef in black bean sauce and I was handed chicken in black bean sauce ! ! !

I have to say I was thoroughly disappointed having waited almost 3 years to have a meal in there and suffer that. I would make excuses for them but it was 2 o'clock in the afternoon and there was one other table occupied.

I am not the type of person to shy away from letting people know when I am disappointed but I was in a rush to the pub for the FA cup final so had no time to complain or send it back , usually I would. The food I was given was very nice even if it was not what I ordered !

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Was in "The Kitchen" cafe last weekend for the first time.... nice food, not much selection though??! 2 main courses and then just your sambos. Maybe that's the approach they take to keep good food.
    I also ate in "The Eastern Seaboard" for the first time last wkdn too... couldn't fault the place. 8Oz steak was too die for!! Will deffo be back. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Has any1 tried master chef the place that's taken over at king of kings? Just got the menu in the door they doing all you can eat weekdays for 12.50!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

Anyone here try this new place in Drogheda where the "king of kings" used to be? Its probably the same crowd but i don't know for sure.....

Heard they've a "Eat as much as you can" deal for 12.50 during the week and 15 at wknds.

Anyone try it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

PinkFly wrote: »
    Has any1 tried master chef the place that's taken over at king of kings? Just got the menu in the door they doing all you can eat weekdays for 12.50!

I tried it last night (take-away). Same food as King of Kings if not a little spicier. AFAIK it's the same staff and chefs just new owners. If you liked KOK you'll like this place. The AYCE looks like a decent offer for €12.50 although the take-away menu is not as extensive as what KOK's was. The restaraunt seemed to doing well last night for a Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭marvilly

Went to the Brown Hound this afternoon for a coffee and a delish bun and thoroughly enjoyed. Really friendly staff, gorgeous decor and ambience..and the coffee was great and the 'Baxter' (coconut topped bun) was fab. Having a lazy day so we also tried Mo's to take home for this evening's tea-it was lovely too. It was our first visit and we'll def be back. The menu has all the best bits of the ESB menu..really reasonable for what you get. It's 8euro for a main with 1 side or 10 for main with 2 sides. The portions were great (some left for lunch tmrw!) and freshly cooked to order. The calamari and wings were perfect, hubby had fish and chips...all gorgeous!!:) Saw a sign that they've opened 'Swine Bar' in there too(wine bar with food served too, Thurs-Sat) so that's next on the list:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 starbuy85

Indus has reopened on dyer st beside Jaffa in firzwilliam court, went there last night and was really impressed. Food was delicious we both had the king prawn for starter,chicken shashlik for main which was a big portion and very tasty, I had the chicken jalfrezi which was lovely just a tad bit too spicy for me, altough the coriander naan and raita helped with that! The service was excellent the owner has taken a very active role and cannot do enough for his customers we got a great deal inc bottle of wine 2 starters and 2 mains for €44. We even got a complimentary drink at the end of the night, food prices are definitely cheaper than Indus or rupee and the kitchen is on view which gives confidence in their cooking. Very happy overall and will definitely be back

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Went to wm cairnes today with my partner. Forgot it was fathers day so it was busy enough. First impressions were, nice decor but too many "restaurant seats" rather than comfy pub seats. Anyway we got a nice comfy seat by window and got a drink. Had a look at menu and to be honest found it quite limited in terms of choice but I got beef sandwich in a crusty roll and he got roast beef dinner.

Service was v poor, slow and felt as if staff didn't really know what was happening. I saw two tables sit down and walk out in ten minutes. Whether that was to do with service or food choice I don't know. Put service down to being new and busy.

Girl came down with two roast beef dinners and beef sandwich. Somehow thought my order for extra chips were for an extra dinner. Roast beef dinner my partner said was fab. It was small enough but really good food. My beef sandwich cane in a floury bap and about six fat chips. It said crusty roll. Didn't bother me but some people detest floury baps. It was tasty.

Overall I like the venue and food, a lot of kids today, presuming because of fathers day. Would go back.

Not Louth but for the first time in over six years I had a bad meal in chans bettystown. Undercooked noodles and below avg curry. New staff too. This was a favourite of mine and would go twice monthly. Really disappointed. Was in a rush so didn't say it to manAger who I know and s friendly so will give it the benift if doubt and try one more time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭marvilly

starbuy85 wrote: »
    Indus has reopened on dyer st beside Jaffa in firzwilliam court, went there last night and was really impressed. Food was delicious we both had the king prawn for starter,chicken shashlik for main which was a big portion and very tasty, I had the chicken jalfrezi which was lovely just a tad bit too spicy for me, altough the coriander naan and raita helped with that! The service was excellent the owner has taken a very active role and cannot do enough for his customers we got a great deal inc bottle of wine 2 starters and 2 mains for €44. We even got a complimentary drink at the end of the night, food prices are definitely cheaper than Indus or rupee and the kitchen is on view which gives confidence in their cooking. Very happy overall and will definitely be back

good to know...thanks starbuy85.. didn't hear it was reopening until your post but delighted it is..fingers crossed for them this time!:)

Advertisement