Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

They have fencing complete from Ballyvourney to the Halfway plus a lot of Tree's and rock's cleared from the route on that side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Truckermal wrote: »
    They have fencing complete from Ballyvourney to the Halfway plus a lot of Tree's and rock's cleared from the route on that side.

You might have a better view higher up in your trucks cab, but the fenced off route I can see from the road from my car seems narrow!

Benildus wrote: »
    You might have a better view higher up in your trucks cab, but the fenced off route I can see from the road from my car seems narrow!

Ya it looks narrow especially near the Mons Bar where it's right against Farm buildings! I will take a few pics some day I have time..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Ya it looks narrow especially near the Mons Bar where it's right against Farm buildings! I will take a few pics some day I have time..

I guess 2+2 has a fairly narrow profile alright.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

spacetweek wrote: »
    I guess 2+2 has a fairly narrow profile alright.
    Whatever about 2+2, it's certainly a lot less narrow than the N22 between Ballyvourney and Macroom at present.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

imangry29 wrote: »
    Yes. But these bypasses wouldn't be build in Co Kerry and so it wouldn't give the same big effect, as silly as this sounds.

Is the plan still to do with HQDC all the way to Macroom ?[/QUOTE]

It's HQDC over the full length (22km), starting just West of Ballyvourney (joining the decent WS2/2+1 scheme from Killarney) and finishing just East of Macroom, meeting old road once again i.e. from Macroom to Cork, we still have a crap, winding section of road (west of Lissarda). Lissarda bypass next on the wishlist if Macroom scheme ever built, ha http://www.corkrdo.ie/n22_baile_buirne_to_macroom_introduction.php! But living with road east of Macroom is a very small price to get this one over the line.

There seems to be confusion on what the route actually is in a lot of past posts, so refresher map attached (from EIS published on corkrdo.ie website).

KC161, route is in this post if you want to have a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

marno21 wrote: »
    imangry29 wrote: »

KC161, route is in this post if you want to have a look

Thanks for that Marno21.

Much appreciated.

from the article:

"The proposed N22 Ballyvourney to Macroom bypass will run from Coolcower roundabout on the Cork side of Macroom and take traffic north of the town,"

Where is this roundabout? I'm still not sure where exactly the bypass will end outside Macroom

edit: The link in Marno's post above is broken, so can't see the route

from the article:

"The proposed N22 Ballyvourney to Macroom bypass will run from Coolcower roundabout on the Cork side of Macroom and take traffic north of the town,"

Where is this roundabout? I'm still not sure where exactly the bypass will end outside Macroom

The roundabout hasn't been created yet, I'll be on the Macroom side of the first bridge heading towards Cork.

The terrible stretch between Macroom and Lissarda won't be solved by this scheme.

I can't make a link as I'm on mobile but I'll send one on later if it hasn't been posted by someone else.

• Advertisement

from the article:

It will start at two mile bridge on the eastern side of Macroom, this is the first bridge you cross leaving Macroom which is a pity giving the crap road between there and Crookstown.

It will start at two mile bridge on the eastern side of Macroom, this is the first bridge you cross leaving Macroom which is a pity giving the crap road between there and Crookstown.

I know where it is now. It is a shame that even the bad bit to Lissarda will not be included, however I'd much rather be driving a new proper 22km stretch of road and then a crap 4km stretch of road than the full 26km stretch of bad road

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Lissarda is being resurfaced ATM as it was bad. The worst stretch is between and mile bridge. Really dangerous, a lot of cyclists on it as well.
    The only spot for the roundabout seems to be at the asbestos dump site. Still being guarded by security.

marno21 wrote: »
    The roundabout hasn't been created yet, I'll be on the Macroom side of the first bridge heading towards Cork.

The terrible stretch between Macroom and Lissarda won't be solved by this scheme.

I can't make a link as I'm on mobile but I'll send one on later if it hasn't been posted by someone else.
    Is that the bridge coming over the river where the old scrap car place was?

Or the bridge just beyond Macroom Motors?

Am I well off?

Scrap place it is. If passing you will see the security hut just before the bridge, going towards Cork. Isn't much ground there. BTW ESB own the bridge. Will be an awful restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

The field fenced off by Wills is further out than the ESB bridge. It is approx 1km further out.

From Macroom you travel over the ESB bridge and climb the hill. The field fenced off is on the flat stretch before the dangerous local road turn off to the right as you go over the water stretch. There are a few houses on the left before you go over the water coming from Macroom direction.

The field on the right has been cleared of bushes and there is fencing up through the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

mickmmc wrote: »
    The field fenced off by Wills is further out than the ESB bridge. It is approx 1km further out.

From Macroom you travel over the ESB bridge and climb the hill. The field fenced off is on the flat stretch before the dangerous local road turn off to the right as you go over the water stretch. There are a few houses on the left before you go over the water coming from Macroom direction.

The field on the right has been cleared of bushes and there is fencing up through the field.

I think I know the field you are talking about, but it's not part of the scheme. That's just a local farmer that cleared away bushes and ditches and put up new fences.

I must have a look at that field again. I may be wrong.

Is the roundabout close to the Coolcower hotel and Kellehers Ford garage or near the ESB bridge?

Kevwoody wrote: »
    I think I know the field you are talking about, but it's not part of the scheme. That's just a local farmer that cleared away bushes and ditches and put up new fences.

Ya that's correct as it's done over a year!

A lot of people have made that error with those fields being fenced.
    All maps show the new road finishing on the Macroom side of the bridge.
    Haven't seen any thing of that bridge being altered.
    Roundabout will on your left after Kellehers garage at the end of that straight, Cork side.

• Advertisement

I understand where it begins now - near Kellehers cattle dealers yard.

A handy bit further out from Macroom, beyond the entrance to Coolcower Guest House. Harnetts Cross for Inchigeelagh remains separate.

I wonder why instead of finishing at Coolcower at the 1st bridge, it couldn't have been routed north of the reservoir to finish at the second bridge back over the reservoir before Lissarda. That would then mean missing the bad bit between the 2 bridges.

We'd all like that, except the landowners over there.
    It would mean a large bridge construction to cross the Lee Reservoir by Caum.

Sorry to veer slightly off topic here, but why exactly is there a security hut at that bridge outside Macroom?

Sorry to veer slightly off topic here, but why exactly is there a security hut at that bridge outside Macroom?

That's to keep the guy who owns adjoining land from dumping cars in there, he is some pain in the arse too driving that road doing 60 KPH in a 99 Audi A6.

Their is actually two people on site all the time now as one guy was assaulted one night a few months ago! It must cost the ESB some money every year in wages etc etc.

There was asbestos some bit further in towards Macroom. Dropped on ESB land AFAIK. Big clean up about 5 years ago.
    The security, might work out relatively cheap, in comparison.

That's to keep the guy who owns adjoining land from dumping cars in there, he is some pain in the arse too driving that road doing 60 KPH in a 99 Audi A6.

Their is actually two people on site all the time now as one guy was assaulted one night a few months ago! It must cost the ESB some money every year in wages etc etc.

That is mental!

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    There was asbestos some bit further in towards Macroom. Dropped on ESB land AFAIK. Big clean up about 5 years ago.
    The security, might work out relatively cheap, in comparison.
    Was that not in that site also I forgot to mention it actually!
    That is mental!

Ya crazy stuff all right.

Advertisement