Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

It really will be a game changer for Macroom in time. The town square could be made into a beautiful mixed traffic plaza.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tender for detailed ground investigation along the route has been awarded to Priority Geotechnical:

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders/ViewNotice/190834

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

I drove this route this morning, and was down a few side roads. Wills Bros are flat out fencing off the route, not their usual area of work as they normally sub contract the fencing work. I presume they want to have a presence on the road so they can jump straight in with a tender for construction when the time comes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Kevwoody wrote: »
    I drove this route this morning, and was down a few side roads. Wills Bros are flat out fencing off the route, not their usual area of work as they normally sub contract the fencing work. I presume they want to have a presence on the road so they can jump straight in with a tender for construction when the time comes.
    What if they don't get the tender?

spacetweek wrote: »
    What if they don't get the tender?

Well obviously they got the contract to do the initial fencing works. I'd say they are hoping to get the construction tender when it comes out. They should be fairly competitive having experienced the site first hand.
    The point I'm making is they don't usually bother with initial fencing works themselves, and hopefully if they win the construction tender we can expect a top notch road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

"Flat out" seems appropriate for this scheme alright. €14m has been allocated for this year and should get it fairly close to shovel ready.

A 2018 or early 2019 start is the dream.

marno21 wrote: »
    "Flat out" seems appropriate for this scheme alright. €14m has been allocated for this year and should get it fairly close to shovel ready.

A 2018 or early 2019 start is the dream.

It's mad to think that €14 million has to be spent before a road can even get to construction stage.

It's mad to think that €14 million has to be spent before a road can even get to construction stage.

That's only for this year ;) there has been steady 2m or so spent on this with the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

They have a compound between ballyvourney and macroom just east of the Mons bar.

Truckermal wrote: »
    They have a compound between ballyvourney and macroom just east of the Mons bar.

I noticed that alright, it's in behind a few private houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

Wills Bros. were fencing on Easter Monday.

Wills Bros. were also working on another project in the area; the Bandon Flood Relief scheme. However, they walked off the project a few weeks ago after issues arose with the contract. Maybe that is the reason that they can concentrate on the N22 works.

A few years ago, SIAC also walked off the Bandon Flood Relief project and the scheme was halted for years. Furthermore, there was a legal challenge to the tender by the underbidder, which delayed the project from starting for months. There is must be a curse on the project.

The last I heard is that the OPW and Wills Bros. resolved the issues that arose and the project will restart.

Tender gone out today for Civil Works (fencing & farm access provision) along the route

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase.asp?PID=104790

Tender award for Advance Civil Works on the scheme to.... Wills Bros.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=104790&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=2&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=107833&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=2&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders

Tender for Archaelogical Services for 8km of the route awarded to Rubicon Heritage Services Ltd in Midleton.

Just heard on the radio, N22 closed between Ballyvourney and Macroom following a serious collision between a truck and I think a number of cars.

Absolute death trap of a road, bypass can't come quick enough.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=108414&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=2&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders

Tender for archaelogical services for a different part of the scheme awarded to TVAS Ireland Ltd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Not to really drag politics into this but it would be much better if Simon Coveney got the FG leadership rather than Leo Varadkar because with Micheal Martin and Coveney both Cork men leading the two biggest parties you would be hopeful that the Bypass and M20 to Limerick would surely get delivered. Leo Varadkar would only be interested in Dublin which should be lowered far down the priority for important projects.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Really - do not drag politics into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Olimur

Does anyone know where I can access maps for where existing roads will join the Macroom bypass. Have only seen toplevel drawings of the general route. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Fencing works on the N22 Baile Bhuirne Macroom Project are now underway. On completion, the upgraded N22 will bypass both Macroom and Ballyvourney/Ballymakeera. The Fencing Contract is the first part of a Programme of Advance Works. The Advance Works will also include an archaeological assessment of the entire route and this will get underway in the next 2-3 weeks. Ground Investigation Works started after Easter and it is hoped to progress a significant diversion of ESB overhead lines at the western end of the Scheme towards the end of this summer.
    The Advance Works are being carried out in anticipation of future funding for the Main Works and the expectation is that the Advance Works will be completed by Quarter 1 2018.

http://kenmarenews.biz/wp/?p=3462

• Registered Users Posts: 21,250 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Don't know where to get the detailed maps. But my memory seemed to indicate
    the road linking up just before the two mile bridge, not at Hartnett's Cross, which I originally thought.
    That bridge is a potential speed bottleneck. However it is owned TMK by the ESB from the Lee Reservoir Project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭imangry29

Water John wrote: »
    Don't know where to get the detailed maps. But my memory seemed to indicate
    the road linking up just before the two mile bridge, not at Hartnett's Cross, which I originally thought.
    That bridge is a potential speed bottleneck. However it is owned TMK by the ESB from the Lee Reservoir Project.

Hopefully this attachment works, not the greatest of quality or large on detail but does show the main junction locations. Downloaded this years ago from some corner of the Cork Co Co website. High time the scheme got some form of website of its own as per most recent road schemes. Then again, the planning on the N22 started when dial up internet was novel.

Thanks for that, 29. That is what was in my memory. Joining just before the 2 mile bridge. Will need calming before that.

Thanks for that, 29. That is what was in my memory. Joining just before the 2 mile bridge. Will need calming before that.

In the original transport plans the N22 Macroom-Ovens project was to be motorway standard east of Macroom, hence the change of standard at Coolcower. Unfortunately the N22 Macroom-Ovens is at least 10 years away at this stage

Pity the link up, for the section that will get done, is not beyond the four mile bridge, just west of Duniskey. All the road would then be reasonable.
    We will now have one very poor two mile section between the bridges.

Pity the link up, for the section that will get done, is not beyond the four mile bridge, just west of Duniskey. All the road would then be reasonable.
    We will now have one very poor two mile section between the bridges.
    Exactly this. The road between Coolcower and Lissarda is now going to stand out between the dual carraigeway and the road east of Lissarda.

In reality, the N22 Macroom-Ovens will become a hot topic soon. The Ballincollig bypass is now a carpark from 1-2km back from the merge daily and it's a procession of slow moving traffic as far as Macroom.

After that it's just the Killarney-Farranfore scheme and the N22 will be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

After that it's just the Killarney-Farranfore scheme and the N22 will be done.

I won't hold my breath

dmeehan wrote: »
    I won't hold my breath
    A certain group of politicians in South Kerry will be hot on the trails of the N22 Killarney-Farranfore scheme when the Macroom BP is done.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

A certain group of politicians in South Kerry will be hot on the trails of the N22 Killarney-Farranfore scheme when the Macroom BP is done.

They want to build that new part as single carriageway though. Do you think that'll be enough?

spacetweek wrote: »
    They want to build that new part as single carriageway though. Do you think that'll be enough?
    No, the N22 Killarney-Farranfore scheme was/is planned as 2+2. The N71 link is planned as SC though.

The N22 Killarney-Farranfore scheme should be 2+2 although Type 1 SC may suffice, but not very future proofed. It still won't solve the N72 issue though within Killarney town, which remains the biggest bottleneck.

• Advertisement

Advertisement