Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

imangry29 wrote: »
    See attached PDF, it is junctions for all as it is a 2+2 and not a high quality dual carriageway as per Ballincollig (no big on/off ramps for the most part). Unless they decide during detailed design to remove some junctions, although not sure they can do that now post planning.

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying there will be some at grade junctions. I'd be amazed if this was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying there will be some at grade junctions. I'd be amazed if this was the case.
    from the looks of it they are grade separated, i.e. the mainline goes over or under the other road and theres slip roads then on either side, but no major acceleration lane or anything like you have on a HQ dual carraigeway or full spec (irish/UK) motorway

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

It was never planned to build anything other than a fairly basic dual here. It's fine for what is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Start and completion date anyone?
    Yes, is it for real or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭imangry29

Thankfully I stand corrected on junctions and grades (happier days!)... from An Bord Pleanala grant: "Proposed road development comprising approximately 22 kilometres of Type 2 Dual Carriageway consisting of two lanes in each direction divided by a segregating barrier, three compact grade separated junctions, one online and five offline roundabouts, four river bridge crossings, 18 road bridges (underbridge or overbridge), 24 accommodation underbridge or overbridge structures, 13 culvert structures and ancillary and consequential works associated therewith, passing through the townlands of ..."

So three grade separated junctions and 18 road bridges, happy days. I had incorrectly thought Type 2 DC used at grade junctions (e.g. www.regdesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/1.3.2-Type-2-Dual-Carriageway-Schematic.pdf)

I assume the three junctions referred to above are (1) tie-in with existing N22 west of Ballyvourney (2) Tonn Lain / L3409 (to Clondrohid) (3) Gurteenroe / R582 (to Millstreet). Tie-in with existing N22 east of Macroom appears to be the one online roundabout.

• Advertisement

Thankfully I stand corrected on junctions and grades (happier days!)... from An Bord Pleanala grant: "Proposed road development comprising approximately 22 kilometres of Type 2 Dual Carriageway consisting of two lanes in each direction divided by a segregating barrier, three compact grade separated junctions, one online and five offline roundabouts, four river bridge crossings, 18 road bridges (underbridge or overbridge), 24 accommodation underbridge or overbridge structures, 13 culvert structures and ancillary and consequential works associated therewith, passing through the townlands of ..."

So three grade separated junctions and 18 road bridges, happy days. I had incorrectly thought Type 2 DC used at grade junctions (e.g. www.regdesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/1.3.2-Type-2-Dual-Carriageway-Schematic.pdf)

I assume the three junctions referred to above are (1) tie-in with existing N22 west of Ballyvourney (2) Tonn Lain / L3409 (to Clondrohid) (3) Gurteenroe / R582 (to Millstreet). Tie-in with existing N22 east of Macroom appears to be the one online roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Type 2 generally uses roundabouts for Junctions (aka Roosky bypass on the N4). But they seem to be putting compact GSJs in at the main towns on a Type 2 route, and roundabouts for the minor junctions.

eg: New Ross will have a GSJ for the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Type 2 generally uses roundabouts for Junctions (aka Roosky bypass on the N4). But they seem to be putting compact GSJs in at the main towns on a Type 2 route, and roundabouts for the minor junctions.

eg: New Ross will have a GSJ for the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Right: I didn't think it was at all clear from the map, which looks very sketchy indeed. (It seems to be from a larger document, which I assume has further detail on each junction elsewhere.)

Anyone able to get what they're doing with the R618 junction? (That's the one north of the downstream bridge over the Sullane.)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I hope they don't ruin these greenfield 2+2 schemes with roundabouts. The Tralee bypass, Castleisland bypass and Dromod-Roosky scheme have too many roundabouts. The Castleisland bypass should have one roundabout at the N21/N23/R577 junction on the Tralee road. The beginning and ends of the new road (especially the N23 section seeing as it's S2 -> S2) should be T junctions with the old road yielding.

I'd imagine there'll be a roundabout on the Coolcower side of this scheme to accomodate the future Type 1 to Type 2 tie-in, and the third arm of the roundabout will be the existing N22 towards Macroom. Not sure how they're gonna tie-in on the Ballyvourney side

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    I'd imagine there'll be a roundabout on the Coolcower side of this scheme to accomodate the future Type 1 to Type 2 tie-in, and the third arm of the roundabout will be the existing N22 towards Macroom.
    That's the only junction that seems clearly marked as a roundabout. So I'm guessing that's the "one online" roadabout, and the others are all on cloverleafy sliproads.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kingdomkerry

Is there a start date for this yet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Is there a start date for this yet?
    Funding for land purchase is authorised for 2016, no other work. It'll probably be ready to start by 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Producer Ben

I've heard January next year

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Why have the turn right arrows been burnt off the stretch between macroom and cork. Is it to discourage turning across traffic lane. There is little choice somtimes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Confirmation from Pascal Donohue that land acquisition will take place for this scheme in 2016.
    At present TII is assessing how best to progress national projects included in the 7 year transport element of the Capital Plan, including the upgrade of the N22 between Ballyvourney and Macroom, taking into account annual budget allocations. The timeframe for progressing individual projects will be decided once that process is completed. In the interim I understand TII has allocated a total of €3.8m to the Ballyvourney to Macroom scheme in 2016 which will facilitate land acquisition for the project

I think the total land acquisition cost is roughly €20m. Over €4m was allocated by TII/NRA to Cork CoCo in 2014 and €5m in 2015, so the 2016 allocation is a reduction :/ Positive development that there is now a Macroom minister in the form of Michael Creed at the Cabinet table, but in all likelihood the project will continue its glacial trajectory towards commencing in 2018. The Capital Plan 2016-2021 produced by the last Govt at least included the project among its 'Top 10' new road schemes. But with classic cute-hoorism, not a single one of the Top 10 major road projects announced is due to start before 2018. The Dept of Transport submission on the Capital Plan is revealing (available on DPER website). A total of €5m in 2016 and €10m in 2017 is allocated towards the Top 10 roads list, but most of that is being swallowed in upgrading the approach roads into the Grangecastle Business Park. Only in 2018 are significant monies allocated for major roads (€172m per year for 2018, 2019 and 2020. The new Programme for Govt continues the old commitment to review the Capital Plan in 2017 and only make any additional monies available then (all contingent on the Govt surviving to that point.....). So long story short, not a blade of grass is likely to be touched on the route of the Macroom bypass pre-2018.

I think the total land acquisition cost is roughly €20m. Over €4m was allocated by TII/NRA to Cork CoCo in 2014 and €5m in 2015, so the 2016 allocation is a reduction :/ Positive development that there is now a Macroom minister in the form of Michael Creed at the Cabinet table, but in all likelihood the project will continue its glacial trajectory towards commencing in 2018. The Capital Plan 2016-2021 produced by the last Govt at least included the project among its 'Top 10' new road schemes. But with classic cute-hoorism, not a single one of the Top 10 major road projects announced is due to start before 2018. The Dept of Transport submission on the Capital Plan is revealing (available on DPER website). A total of €5m in 2016 and €10m in 2017 is allocated towards the Top 10 roads list, but most of that is being swallowed in upgrading the approach roads into the Grangecastle Business Park. Only in 2018 are significant monies allocated for major roads (€172m per year for 2018, 2019 and 2020. The new Programme for Govt continues the old commitment to review the Capital Plan in 2017 and only make any additional monies available then (all contingent on the Govt surviving to that point.....). So long story short, not a blade of grass is likely to be touched on the route of the Macroom bypass pre-2018.
    M7 widening is starting April 2017. Beyond that, none of the schemes will likely start as you say.

I can't believe the upgrade of the Grangecastle Business Park roads is being funded as part of a national capital investment plan. Time was that roads of that scale were being built in South Dublin County Council pretty much every year and could be funded from their regular budget. No need for a high level funding plan.

spacetweek wrote: »
    I can't believe the upgrade of the Grangecastle Business Park roads is being funded as part of a national capital investment plan. Time was that roads of that scale were being built in South Dublin County Council pretty much every year and could be funded from their regular budget. No need for a high level funding plan.

Sorry if I've missed it, but is there any source for the funding information?

• Advertisement

https://www.kildarestreet.com/committees/?id=2016-06-29a.223

At a recent transport committee, DTTAS' Dominic Mullaney says that Dunkettle is #1 priority, with it starting construction in 2018/19, followed after that by the Macroom/Ballyvourney scheme, even though the N22 scheme is close to shovel ready.

****ing joke.

Weeping quietly to myself as Danny Healy-Rae's on the radio, thundering on about how we're not wiping out the Kerry slug fast enough to concrete over large tracts of the Cork countryside to get him to his important business in various urban centres -- whatever that might theoretically be -- fast enough. Oh, and moaning about it being called the "Kerry slug" in the first place, as some of them as East of the Border.

Just as long as we're clear he's a species of slug that's nothing to do with Cork, that'd be a grand start, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Irish Examiner have a story tomorrow saying it'll be 2022 before work commences at the earliest.

Macroom bypass and Ringaskiddy road on back burner
    Work will not commence on a Macroom bypass or new Cork-Ringaskiddy road until at least 2022, as priority is being given to upgrading the Dunkettle/Jack Lynch Tunnel interchange.

Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) officials told a Cork County Council delegation that while the Macroom and Ringaskiddy roads were in the capital investment programme (2016-2021), funding had not been allocated and TII had been advised that “expenditure will not ramp up until 2020/2021”.

They said the Dunkettle upgrade was the top priority and TII intended to appoint a contractor in 2018, with a view to work commencing in 2019 or 2020. TII said work on both the Macroom and Ringsaskiddy roads would start sometime after 2021.

TII officials advised any political pressure county councillors could exert to accelerate a budgets increase would be appreciated.
    READ NEXT Gardaí link foreign gang to theft of motorboats

They also expressed disappointment that the €800m Cork-Limerick motorway was not on the capital investment programme and the need for it had been highlighted by the number of recent fatal accidents occurring on the N20, especially in the Mallow area.

Independent councillor Declan Hurley, head of the council’s roads and transport committee, said the need for lobbying was obvious and councillors should seek a meeting with Transport Minister Shane Ross.

Mayor of County Cork Seamus McGrath said the TII report made for grim reading.

Fianna Fáil councillor Ian Doyle said he was very concerned at rumours a Cork-Limerick motorway would be routed through Mitchelstown. Both he and Fine Gael councillor Gerard Murphy said it would economically isolate Mallow and large swathes of north-west Cork. Mr Doyle also said the main Cork-Limerick road in Charleville was “falling apart” and needed urgent attention.

“I don’t think we’ll see the M20 built in my lifetime,” said Independent councillor Tim Collins. “We also need the northern relief road built in Mallow because a lot of haulage moves through the town from Rosslare to Kerry and, at the moment, traffic congestion is a disaster.”

TII officials said while the relief road was listed in the capital investment programme, funding had not been given so it could not provide a timeframe for construction.

It said a consulting engineer had been appointed to carry out a feasibility study into the project, but accepted there was a good business case for building the road.

Fianna Fáil councillor Daithí Ó Donnabháin said there were nine suspended projects on TII’s list for Cork and that was having a major negative impact on economic activity in the region.

Councillors are to seek an urgent meeting with Mr Ross to discuss the issues.

Does someone need to educate Fine Gael on the concept of spending money on projects that generate an actual return and improve quality of life? Does someone need to also educate them that two projects can run at the same time in a county? In 2009/10, there was 7/8 MOTORWAY projects running concurrently in the country, and at present, we are being told that a shovel ready interchange scheme will start in THREE years time, and it'll be another two years before a 20km reduced DC scheme & a 10km motorway scheme can begin?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭thekerrycyclist

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Irish Examiner have a story tomorrow saying it'll be 2022 before work commences at the earliest.

Here it is

• Registered Users Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Macroom having a Minister at the Cabinet Table.
    Doesn't seem to carry any weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Wexford is being turned into one big giant motorway....for some reason, despite the lack of traffic volume. FG likes Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The corridor from Belfast to Wexford is classified as the main route of the country TMK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Paddico

cgcsb wrote: »
    Wexford is being turned into one big giant motorway....for some reason, despite the lack of traffic volume. FG likes Wexford.

Prob cause they are better hurlers than Cork :D

• Advertisement

Discussion with Cllr. Declan Hurley on the N22 Macroom/Baile Bhuirne scheme on Radio Kerry's Kerry Today this morning:

http://media.radiokerry.ie/mediamanager/embed/player/podcasts/9/item/59550

Advertisement