Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Works in Killeagh

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

dutchy15 wrote: »
    Fella from youghal told me earlier today that MEIC won the castlemartyr contract. I might add that's one person. Not confirmed. God help us all to if it's true

Just reading the East Cork Journal Facebook page, guy there is saying it's the Wills Bros who got the contract. When is it official?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dutchy15

Roanmore wrote: »
    Just reading the East Cork Journal Facebook page, guy there is saying it's the Wills Bros who got the contract. When is it official?

I hope you are right. It was being officially announced yesterday

Was told in work today to avoid Killeagh which I couldn't do but decided to go the Mogeely way to avoid the main traffic.
    Road closed, no warning until you are actually turning to head that way.
    I went the Mount Uniacke way instead with the aid of the Sat Nav.
    Just saw on the Killeagh Facebook page that the Council nor the Roads Dept weren't told about it, the Engineer knew but never told anybody.
    Anyway, the bad news is it's going to be repeated Friday (Mogeely Killeagh road).

I passed through Killeagh around 6:45 with no issues but come to think of it there was good few workers around even at that time so maybe they were finishing up and there were earlier delays

Anybody know whats going with youghal bypass?

Is is simply resurfacing.? Looks like that however the road didn't need resurfacing so I'm confused

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Not sure how true this is but there is a rumour going around that the street lights that were installed from the railway bridge out the road towards Castlemartyr were supposed to be put in on the the Mogeely road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

...What are they doing to warrant closing the Killeagh-Mogeely road?

For goodness sake. It's like they're purposefully trapping people at the bottleneck.

FGR wrote: »
    ...What are they doing to warrant closing the Killeagh-Mogeely road?

For goodness sake. It's like they're purposefully trapping people at the bottleneck.

I drove it this morning and there is evidence of road resurfacing near Mogeely. Didn't see any signs of other activity on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

Passing through Killeagh this evening the newly planted trees look nice ....tarmac finished.... kerbing tidied up...lovely, they are finished at last...boom here we go again, the newly laid concrete path opposite Green's garage being ripped up...for feck sake it's only in place a month, maddening.

paddyref wrote: »
    Passing through Killeagh this evening the newly planted trees look nice ....tarmac finished.... kerbing tidied up...lovely, they are finished at last...boom here we go again, the newly laid concrete path opposite Green's garage being ripped up...for feck sake it's only in place a month, maddening.

They should dig the whole road up. They are lunatics

Chatting to one of the stop go fellas at youghal this evening. Asked him what were they doing? He said just resurfacing and said it didn't need to done but they had to spend the money somewhere as they need to spend their yearly budget. If they don't don't they won't get it the following a year. Now I knew of this procedure. Take a look around over next few months at random roadworks taking place. You can be pretty dam sure they are not needed. A God dam disgrace.

This one annoys me on so many levels however. How cruel is it to punish the same commuters who endured youghal.

Absolute madness

• Advertisement

dutchy15 wrote: »
    Chatting to one of the stop go fellas at youghal this evening. Asked him what were they doing? He said just resurfacing and said it didn't need to done but they had to spend the money somewhere as they need to spend their yearly budget. If they don't don't they won't get it the following a year. Now I knew of this procedure. Take a look around over next few months at random roadworks taking place. You can be pretty dam sure they are not needed. A God dam disgrace.

This one annoys me on so many levels however. How cruel is it to punish the same commuters who endured youghal.

Absolute madness

If there was any section of road that did not need resurfacing it was the youghal by pass.

Who is doing the Youghal bypass?

They're really taking the piss now, roadworks back again with the last week, long queues.

Newly laid road dug up again. Traffic lights in the morning, deja vu.

Add to this the roadworks on the Youghal by pass (which to be fair have progressed very well and the traffic management has been very good) it makes a miserable journey home.

Roanmore wrote: »
    They're really taking the piss now, roadworks back again with the last week, long queues.

Newly laid road dug up again. Traffic lights in the morning, deja vu.

Add to this the roadworks on the Youghal by pass (which to be fair have progressed very well and the traffic management has been very good) it makes a miserable journey home.

It's broken me

They didn't castlemartyr contract anyway. Little consolation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Amazed they are at Killeagh again

It was only the other day I seen on Facebook that an "end of roadworks party " has been planned

I travel youghal to ringaskiddy every day , the part of journey I fear most is Killeagh / Castlemartyr! I actually don't mind the tunnel compared to this carry on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Yes, saw it this morning passing thru Killeagh heading east, couldn't believe it.
    Two new massive holes being dug into the newly-laid footpaths -- one outside the hardware shop and another at the pedestrian lights. Stop-go signs back in operation again, and tracked machinery digging the holes.
    This is just ridiculous now.

This is what has held us up all week.I emailed Tom O'connor MD of the wonderful MEIC!!! To be fair he replied fairly promptly. Anyway here it is

Ian

Works this week relate to the requirement to raise all manholes and gully covers to the finish level.

Good practice to protect the travelling public is to install the covers below the finish surface level so as to allow traffic pass over them during the works. Once the blacktop surfacing is placed the covers are then raised to match the finished road level. These are being raised this week. There are in excess of 30 covers/grates to be raised. Outputs are in the region of 8 to 9/day.

I trust this clarifies the situation.

Rgds

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

All these retrospective works should be completed on an nightly basis

paddyref wrote: »
    All these retrospective works should be completed on an nightly basis

Agreed. I said that to him and he said he needs to get special licence. Whole thing has been a nightmare. They are facing potential penalties for the project. They surely should.

Latest update on Killeagh. We're almost there folks

Ian

The cast iron covers within the roadway are now raised.

Remaining works relate to some accommodation works for house owners. The council are resolving these details with them currently and will forward to our crews as necessary once finalised.

We are also awaiting the ESB to pull cables and take down their overhead lines and lighting columns. However with the fall out from Ex Hurricane Ophelia and Storm Brian they have not been able to commit resources or even advise when they will be able to return. Once they have undertaken their works we will have some work to tidy up the patches in the footpaths left after these poles etc have been removed.

In addition some snagging works will be undertaken,. It is customary that this is done at the very end of the works.

Rgds

Tom O Connor
    Managing Director

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

From east cork journal Facebook page yesterday

The news comes as Fine Gael Cllr Michael Hegarty has accused the Killeagh contractor of substandard repairs to roads and pavements.
    N25 drivers could face weeks of misery as the programme of work is to include footpath works, drainage, underground ducting, footpath replacement and landscaping.
    Cllr Hegarty is unhappy with the quality and durability of some of the road repairs.
    The Fine Gael Cllr this week called for a representative of Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) and the contractor for the works to attend the next sitting of the East Cork Municipality.
    His fellow Cllrs say they are inundated with complaints from residents over defective gullies leading to spot flooding and inadequate disability parking bays.
    Cllr Hegarty said “how any contractor was allowed get away with the type of work carried out in Killeagh was scandalous.”
    East Cork Municipality Chairwoman, Fine Gael Cllr Susan McCarthy said “a lot of what the residents expected out of the [enhancement programme] didn’t come through.”
    She said “There are disability parking spaces that are not adequate, they are not long enough.”
    Sinn Féin Cllr Danielle Twomey said “there are huge drainage issues on the main street. The drains are on one end and the road is sloping on the other end. Which is just baffling”

Traffic chaos has already caused misery among motorists and the business community in Killeagh since works commenced in October 2016.

The nine month project wasn’t complete until November 2017.

A similar scheme to upgrade overlay and footpaths in Castlemartyr, under a different contractor, is set to commence shortly and last up to six months.
    And will include improvement of traffic signals and remedy drainage issues at Knockane.

Oh my dear god

Valyawl wrote: »
    From east cork journal Facebook page yesterday

The news comes as Fine Gael Cllr Michael Hegarty has accused the Killeagh contractor of substandard repairs to roads and pavements.
    N25 drivers could face weeks of misery as the programme of work is to include footpath works, drainage, underground ducting, footpath replacement and landscaping.
    Cllr Hegarty is unhappy with the quality and durability of some of the road repairs.
    The Fine Gael Cllr this week called for a representative of Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) and the contractor for the works to attend the next sitting of the East Cork Municipality.
    His fellow Cllrs say they are inundated with complaints from residents over defective gullies leading to spot flooding and inadequate disability parking bays.
    Cllr Hegarty said “how any contractor was allowed get away with the type of work carried out in Killeagh was scandalous.”
    East Cork Municipality Chairwoman, Fine Gael Cllr Susan McCarthy said “a lot of what the residents expected out of the [enhancement programme] didn’t come through.”
    She said “There are disability parking spaces that are not adequate, they are not long enough.”
    Sinn Féin Cllr Danielle Twomey said “there are huge drainage issues on the main street. The drains are on one end and the road is sloping on the other end. Which is just baffling”

Traffic chaos has already caused misery among motorists and the business community in Killeagh since works commenced in October 2016.

The nine month project wasn’t complete until November 2017.

A similar scheme to upgrade overlay and footpaths in Castlemartyr, under a different contractor, is set to commence shortly and last up to six months.
    And will include improvement of traffic signals and remedy drainage issues at Knockane.

Advertisement