Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Works in Killeagh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

Spoke to a friend who has to drive this way every day, back and forth and he's nearly gone mad at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Rhinohippo wrote: »
    Spoke to a friend who has to drive this way every day, back and forth and he's nearly gone mad at this stage.

He can bypass the whole village if necessary. You can take the Gortroe road and get to Castlymartyr. Road isn't great mind you.

I also heard that the crew will be moving onto Castlemartyr once they are finished in Killeagh, although the works won't be anywhere near as extensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Came home today through Mogeely , nightmare waiting 25 minutes to go left at centra! I'll stick to the back roads!

Valyawl wrote: »
    Came home today through Mogeely , nightmare waiting 25 minutes to go left at centra! I'll stick to the back roads!

Sounds like an absolute nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

This week through Mogeely in the evening was a disaster. Previously they allowed the Mogeely traffic heading east to join the traffic on the main road but this week they stopped it which means that we had to wait for both east and west traffic to pass first. Not too sure why this is?

Also the previous week the village on the east side had two lanes open, during the day it was back down to one.

On Thursday i joined the traffic at the back of the village (through Mogeely), waited 15 mins and then the cars started moving, great says I, they'll leave us all through except an ambulance came the main road and obviously it got priority but instead of resuming leaving the Mogeely traffic go again they left the east bound cars on the main road go .
    I had enough at that stage, turned around and went back to Mogeely and on to Dungourney and Lismore. Probably would have got home at the same time if I waited but at least I had a clear drive and better scenery.
    As I was leaving Killeagh the traffic was out into the countryside and there was a lot more cars coming against me to join it.

It looks like the roads are complete, it seems to be the footpaths which are holding things up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

mordeith wrote: »
    I also heard that the crew will be moving onto Castlemartyr once they are finished in Killeagh, although the works won't be anywhere near as extensive.

As disruptive as that would be, it's badly needed. Road coming into Castlemartyr from the East is in bits.

Bacchus wrote: »
    As disruptive as that would be, it's badly needed. Road coming into Castlemartyr from the East is in bits.

Absolutely. It's like street in Buttevant before that was fixed.

No lights in the morning, may be able to go back to the normal time soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Roanmore wrote: »
    No lights in the morning, may be able to go back to the normal time soon :)

Can you clarify what you mean? There are no lights anymore at either is it??

I have to go through there next Monday and I'm dreading it already!

I go through before half 6 in the morning, the lights are gone, I'm not too sure what time the flag men come on.

Went through at about 6pm yesterday and both lanes had opened and the flagmen finished.

With the exception of the church on the east side of the village the roads look to be finished, most of the work is on the footpaths.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=big8JsMyoTs

These lads are coming in next week!!!

Travelled through again last evening around 6 pm avoid avoid avoid!! Flagmen were still there I was lucky in that i was able to turn left at centra , traffic still built up out the killeagh road towards Youghal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=big8JsMyoTs

These lads are coming in next week!!!

That road would last about 3 hours in Ireland!

I think they're taking the piss here now, get the motorists hopes up that we're finishing soon and then dig a big hole and close the village down to one lane again.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Seems to be conflicting views on this thread.....

Does anyone have an official type update??? I'm going to be going there a good few times over the next few weeks and I'd love to know what is really happening.

Seems to be conflicting views on this thread.....

Does anyone have an official type update??? I'm going to be going there a good few times over the next few weeks and I'd love to know what is really happening.

Road surfacing = incomplete
    Footpaths = incomplete

I wouldn't bank on two lane traffic for a bit yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dutchy15

It's driving crazy at this stage. Just work 24 hour shifts (they would be delighted with the overtime) to get the thing done

Is it really true about castlemartyr?

If so what are they doing? The main street is fine. It's just around school and ends resurfacing

dutchy15 wrote: »
    If so what are they doing? The main street is fine. It's just around school and ends resurfacing

I reckon they'll be doing the entrance from the Youghal side up to the bridge. I think they may have to redo the manholes and service covers on the street. Some of them have subsided considerably

The road between Midleton and Youghal needs an upgrade. Having to pass through Castlemartyr and Killeagh is a dose.

Rhinohippo wrote: »
    Having to pass through Castlemartyr and Killeagh is a dose.

You mean a bypass? Never gonna happen.

• Advertisement

The whole thing is a shambles. They should have built bypass around Killeagh and castlemartyr. End of story.

On the current roadworks It seems like they are almost finished?

They now seem to have less people working on it(I counted 10 this morning and that includes the stop/go guys

if they increased workforce they could finish it in a few weeks. It's now just gone beyond the a joke.

Do they release weekly updates/targets as they are pretty much at a stage still for past two weeks.

Step up and finish what you started

It's causing severe stress to so many people

No stop / go or lights this evening, seems to be finished for the weekend.

Roanmore wrote: »
    No stop / go or lights this evening, seems to be finished for the weekend.

Another disgrace. Work should be continued over the weekend 24/7. this is the time of week when it will affect every day commuters less.

I'm sure workers would only delighted with the overtime

Think of the amount of work they could get done in next 4 days.

Where is the will and sense of urgency?

Another disgrace. Work should be continued over the weekend 24/7. this is the time of week when it will affect every day commuters less.

I'm sure workers would only delighted with the overtime

Think of the amount of work they could get done in next 4 days.

Where is the will and sense of urgency?

It's a private contractor. They're not going to pay overtime

EDIT
    The weekend is also extremely busy on that road so closing it then would be a terrible idea. Especially if the weather is anyway decent.

mordeith wrote: »
    It's a private contractor. They're not going to pay overtime

EDIT
    The weekend is also extremely busy on that road so closing it then would be a terrible idea. Especially if the weather is anyway decent.

Try driving it at rush hour every day. I'm sure weekend commuters who don t have work to get can handle it for the weekend. People who should be prioritised are people who are commuters who are affected by it everyday.

The fact that it's a private contractor makes me More angry. I'm sure half their workforce have moved on or another job leaving half the manpower to finish the job they started.

It's not in their interests to finish it ASAP.

It me some beyond angry how badly planned and run the whole operation is

Try driving it at rush hour every day. I'm sure weekend commuters who don t have work to get can handle it for the weekend. People who should be prioritised are people who are commuters who are affected by it everyday.

The fact that it's a private contractor makes me More angry. I'm sure half their workforce have moved on or another job leaving half the manpower to finish the job they started.

It's not in their interests to finish it ASAP.

It me some beyond angry how badly planned and run the whole operation is

I do drive it at rush hour every day.
    The contract is based on tender. The contractor has agreed a price to complete the job. Paying overtime cuts into the profit margin.
    The works at the moment don't require that much manpower. It's mostly machine work.

Looks like this is not finishing until 30th June ( I hope 2017...)....

Looks like this is not finishing until 30th June ( I hope 2017...)....

Why do you think this? Have you information or are you just speculating?

I heard the end of June as well but just rumours at the moment.

There is a traffic island going in by the church, will be very tight there.

• Advertisement

One small street takes this long. Ridiculous

Advertisement