Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Works in Killeagh

Options
  • 11-05-2008 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Sometime in the next year, the NRA are due to begin road works in Killeagh.
    The scale of the works are probably similar to what took place in Castlemartyr over the past 6 months, so watch out! :(

so far there is no official news of a start date.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Yes, and unlike Castlemartyr, there's no handy(ish) shortcut via Mogeely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sonky353

Are you serious! I spend every Friday n Sunday gettin a Bus from Cork to Waterford and vice-versa. The Castlemartyr Roadworks put an extra half hr in light traffic onto the journey.... Oh fun times ahead so!

Better still, it's been in the pipeline for three years, as far as I'm aware.

Can't understand why they didn't do both at once and get it over with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Back roads from Ladysbridge to Clonpriest during peak times it is so then..not that I ever would be travelling that road during peak times!:D

That's about the handiest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Becki-Jay

Thank God the road works are over in CMartyr!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dog Fan

You would think so. Hope so, even.
    Unfortunately -
    I drove through it this morning, and they're after cutting the tarmac to lay or repair some pipe down the west-bound lane.
    Also, there is still the final course of tarmac to be laid.

Glad I don't live there. (nothing against Castlemartyr itself)

HAHAHAH.. I Live there...And its a disaster of a place!!

Roadworks or no Roadworks!!!!

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dog Fan

Latest news folks.
    The road works are cancelled until 2009 (probably at the earliest)
    We are, ahem, doing our bit for the national budget situation.

Oh, and Becki-Jay, good luck sleeping in Castlemartyr over the next week while they work from 10PM to 6AM. Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Killeagh is getting worse than Castlemartyr for traffic and the biggest reason is people parking outside the phone box (not illegal). If somebody parks there they basically turn it into a one lane system. I saw traffic one day all the way back to the 100km sign on the Youghal side (I was coming from Cork). The reason was a truck was blocked by a car parked outside the phone box, the people who owned the car were sitting on the bonnet eating ice cream oblivious to the havoc they were causing.
    Also the guy in the Wiser rubbish truck on a Friday, he parks in the middle of the road just before the traffic lights, puts on his flashers and goes about his business. Doesn't care about the traffic building up behind him. I've been caught a number of times by him at about 2.30 on a Friday.
    Apologies for the rant.

• Advertisement

LOL... Yes, they have the road closed this week from 6pm to 6am as far as i know.. Thank god i live 2 mins from the street !!!!!!!!!!!!! So wont affect me..Yipeeeeeeeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

There's going to be a public meeting about the roadworks this coming Tuesday evening. Looks like they will be going ahead very soon. Only waiting 8 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

We didn't hear anything from this meeting, do you know how long roadworks are going to take? Will it be one way through killeagh? Dreading it 😥..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Valyawl wrote: »
    We didn't hear anything from this meeting, do you know how long roadworks are going to take? Will it be one way through killeagh? Dreading it 😥..

They will be diverting traffic down the Mogeely road anyway but not sure if it's just people coming from Youghal direction. Finish date is May 2017 apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

I take it that the reason they've put off the initial start date of the 15th of August was due to the Mogeely road not being finished yet?

Also - any word on whether they might go the whole hog and get the works on the Killeagh to Castlemartyr road done as well? If only..!

Well has it finally started? I got caught this morning around 7.15am trying to get through killeagh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Just wondering how bad is it on a daily basis?

A group of us is heading to Cork from Waterford on Wednesday around lunch time. A colleague has everyone scared by saying the daughter spent a full hour outside Killeagh on Friday.

Anyone? Thanks

Just wondering how bad is it on a daily basis?

A group of us is heading to Cork from Waterford on Wednesday around lunch time. A colleague has everyone scared by saying the daughter spent a full hour outside Killeagh on Friday.

Anyone? Thanks

I don't think they're exaggerating too much. I pass by there about 5 every day and there us usually a large queue heading back towards Youghal.
    May be different at lunch but I would give it an hour.

Lunchtime is okay. Might have a ten minute wait if you get unlucky with the stop go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I went through it (both directions) a few weeks ago on a Friday afternoon (around 3pm) coming from Cork direction and back on Saturday afternoon around the same time. Both times the wait was about 10 minutes. I imagine it's manic around peak times with morning and evening commuters but other than that it'll probably just set you back 10-20 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Passed there yesterday just before 1pm heading for Cork and waited about 10 minutes. Came back around 7pm and breezed through. Its single lane traffic with those stop/go signs in Killeagh village itself. I could see that with any kind of load on the road someone might wait a long time but thankfully not at those times and in the direction I was heading. Thanks for all the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

40 minute delay last night around 5.30 going east towards Youghal, seems like they have two lads and a regular digger doing all the work, no wonder it's taking so long.....

Some suggestions

Divert westbound traffic through Mogeely meaning they only have to go a short way through one way system, brings queuing westbound traffic to the centre of the village, shorter time needed for light change.

Use countdown traffic lights so queuing traffic can see how long before lights change, last night lights red for about 5 or more minutes and people running the red lights can't help traffic flow.

Hire more workers and get the job finished, best weather we have had for years, no reason why work shouldn't be finished, it is not a country road but the main road from Cork to Waterford, Wexford, Rosslare, Europe, UK.....

It is becoming a real headache now , even going through Mogeely you are still waiting and hoping that you are next in queue! I'm travelling backroads in the morning coming out in ladysbridge then castlemartyr just to keep driving. The shops must be in dire straits in the village now with these roadworks. i think I might divert at Midleton roundabout travel through to Ballymacoda to access Youghal. Lots of posts on Facebook giving out about the delays especially over this weekend.

Thursday morning it took half an hour heading west to Cork to get through.
    A colleague of mine said at one stage only 2 cars got through because the traffic heading east kept coming through.
    The Musgrave truck also doesn't help but not too sure what they can do.
    They seem to have removed the lights with the countdown, it took away some of the frustration.
    I go the Mogeely way in the evenings, it's not too bad but if somebody is turning right it holds everybody up. If they kept the corner clear cars could slip through but last week an unused traffic light was blocking the route.

They've really made a balls of the lights this weekend. The lights on the Cork side stay red for a ridiculous amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Anyone know when these roadworks will end? I know it has been suggested May but that anyone have a more concrete update.
    Thanks

Will probably be May alright but that's for completion of the whole project, the village might be back to 2 lanes before that.
    Good progress has been made in the last 2 weeks and the waiting times seem to have reduced now that half the village is back to 2 lanes.

This was taken from the Killeagh Community Facebook page

UPDATE ON KILLEAGH ROADWORKS FOR NEXT 3 WEEKS ....PLEASE SHARE

the works which are ongoing on the N25 through Killeagh Village the following programme outlines the sequence of works, subsequent parking restrictions and traffic management arrangements for the next 3 weeks. Please be advised that given the complex & sensitive nature of these works and the current weather conditions, delays may be encountered and dates outlined below may be subject to change.

WEEK ENDING 11/03/2017
    It is anticipated that pavement works will be complete to Binder level, (layer prior to final wearing course), on the eastbound carriageway bridge from the village centre to the national School. Once the binder course is laid the bulk excavation works from the national school to the Church of Ireland Gates will be undertaken. Remedial works will also be taking place on the footpaths outside the church graveyard.
    Excavation works for the footpath foundations will also commence on the LHS in the town centre i.e. on the same side as the Centra shop.
    Parking:

On the eastbound carriageway parking will be restricted dependent on the working areas i.e. it anticipated the footpath foundation works will be undertaken from the bridge to the pedestrian crossing first. Thus there will be no parking in this area. However, there will be parking from the pedestrian crossing to the Mogeely Junction. Once the foundation is complete from the pedestrian crossing to the bridge parking will be restored and works will commence from the pedestrian crossing to the Mogeely junction.

WEEK ENDING 18/03/2017
    It anticipated that on the Eastbound carriageway the pavement will be brought up binder level from the national school to the Church of Ireland Gates. Footpaths between the national school and the GAA field will also be completed. Foundation works in the village centre will be ongoing.
    Parking:
    Parking in the village centre will be as per the previous week.
    Pedestrian access to the school will be maintained at all times.

WEEK ENDING 25/03/2017
    It anticipated that on the Westbound carriageway the footpath between the Garda station and the junction with Woodview estate will be completed.
    The Brick paving works will commence in the village centre. Parking restrictions will apply as per the previous weeks.
    We are and have been acutely aware that commuters are experiencing a high degree of frustration and the contractor is under instruction to monitor the queuing lengths and adjust the stop go times accordingly. Once the footpath works are completed on the Westbound carriageway between the Garda station and the junction with Woodview estate the length of the traffic management system will be significantly reduced and consequently the queuing times should also reduce. A maned stop go traffic management system will continue to operate at peak times during the week ends.

Traffic Management.
    During week days Flagmen will now be operation from 0630hrs to 1930hrs. Additional VMS (Variable Message Signs) have been erected on both approaches to the village informing motorists of the expecting queuing times. A traffic light system will be in operation during night time hours.
    At the weekends the combination of a traffic light system and intermittent flagmen at peak hours will be in operation.
    To reiterate once the works are completed on the western side of the village i.e. to the junction with Woodview estate the length of the traffic management system will be reduced as far as Mogeely Junction thus resulting in shorter queueing times.
    Pedestrian Access:
    Pedestrian access will be maintained at all times to both Business’ and private dwellings.
    Deliveries to Businesses:
    Deliveries to shops and businesses will be accommodated at all times during construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

Passed through Killeagh last weekend and was delayed going both ways. It would turn me off taking that route until May, at least. Will take an alternative route next time.

I go through Mogeely every weekday, heading east. Max 5 mins delay the last 2 weeks. That's between 5 & 6 in the evening.

Watch out for the speed trap exiting Mogeely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Rhinohippo wrote: »
    Passed through Killeagh last weekend and was delayed going both ways. It would turn me off taking that route until May, at least. Will take an alternative route next time.

Just hoping it will be back to normal in 5/6 weeks - driving me mad

Advertisement