Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Works in Killeagh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Just to say, going through at the weekend was grand. Both lanes open, no delays. The new footpaths look well. Despite the heartache, hopefully Killeagh will benefit from it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A bypass would've been much better. As well as Castlemartyr. Both badly need to be bypassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

namloc1980 wrote: »
    A bypass would've been much better. As well as Castlemartyr. Both badly need to be bypassed.

I think that's universally agreed but it's not going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dutchy15

Totally agree. It would have been built in the same length of time as this one street

There should be an investigation followed by a public apology for the extreme inconvenience and incompetence caused by the people responsible for this project

Totally agree. It would have been built in the same length of time as this one street

There should be an investigation followed by a public apology for the extreme inconvenience and incompetence caused by the people responsible for this project

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

A bypass would have been wonderful.
    They're going to do much the same in Castlemartyr next. I hope they won't take as long this time!

deRanged wrote: »
    A bypass would have been wonderful.
    They're going to do much the same in Castlemartyr next. I hope they won't take as long this time!

Everyone keeps saying this but the main street in castlemartyr is perfect. Looks like a completed Killeagh

It's just westside of town beside school that needs resurfacing?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

Killeagh will look a lot better but the cost to so many people, over such a long period of time, was incredible. Luckily I didn't have to travel the route too often but when I did, it was a disaster. I pity those who travelled that road every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

dutchy15 wrote: »
    Everyone keeps saying this but the main street in castlemartyr is perfect. Looks like a completed Killeagh

It's just westside of town beside school that needs resurfacing?

Village itself is grand bar a couple of dips where's there's an access hatch. There's a good stretch of road though on the school side of the crossroads that just needs to be completely redone. It's not an insignificant stretch of road but it is less than Killeagh. Only worry about the main street would be if new pipes/cabling are scheduled to go down. I've no info on that though.

Regarding bypassing... not an easy task around Castlemartyr I'd say. There's little space between Mogeely and Castlemartyr to fit a new national road. You could maybe develop the road to Mogeely that turns off at Two Mile Inn and then continues on to Killeagh. Not a hope putting something south of the village anyway. IMO it'd be worthwhile improving the road between Ballinacurra and Garryvoe/Shanagarry/Ballycotton (to make that route more attractive) as the traffic turning right in Castlemartyr is one of the main bottlenecks (especially on sunny weekends). There's only space for about 4/5 cars to queue turning right which blocks everything else trying to go straight on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Having been delayed here this evening for 25 minutes... I find it hard to believe this will finish by mid August ... Should have put bets on with paddy power! I reckon end of September ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

went through tonight and it does look like there's a lot left to do. if they got a few crews working at the same time they'd close it out fairly fast though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

:o
    Valyawl wrote: »
    Having been delayed here this evening for 25 minutes... I find it hard to believe this will finish by mid August ... Should have put bets on with paddy power! I reckon end of September ...

I went through Mogeeley today and got lucky the traffic was going East, minute delay max. I was stunned when I got out the Waterford road, haven't seen a queue that big in a while. People out of their cars trying to see what the issue was.

deRanged wrote: »
    went through tonight and it does look like there's a lot left to do. if they got a few crews working at the same time they'd close it out fairly fast though.

Exactly. Your dead right. I have been saying that for about 2 months now. Progress is sooo slow and has been for months. If they had more people working on it they could literally finish it in a week or two. Shame of the everyone involved in the job

• Registered Users Posts: 1 magixs

I would like to hear their excuse for what has taken them so long to fix that tiny street. For some context autobahn built 1000km of road, 4 lanes each side during wartime in the same amount of time (ish) 12 months. Was home in Sweden and there was fresh asphalt having been laid out on a stretch of 20km on the busiest road, europaway 4 (E4) and asked my dad how long it had taken them and he said they did it in about 3 weeks or there about. It's absolutely insanity how long it has taken. Now they are doing Castlemartyr as well? I go to and from work on this road everyday, lost about 20-30 minutes each way every day for basically a year now. They could've built a bypass in less time and fixed the issues once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭flipsat

I need to be in Cork airport at 8.30 am tomorrow Friday morning and am wondering if there are any major roadwork delays between Waterford and Cork Jack Lynch Tunnel that would delay us at that time? Any help much appreciated;;

flipsat wrote: »
    I need to be in Cork airport at 8.30 am tomorrow Friday morning and am wondering if there are any major roadwork delays between Waterford and Cork Jack Lynch Tunnel that would delay us at that time? Any help much appreciated;;

You shouldn't be held up too much in Killeagh at the time you're going through. Not too sure about the tunnel.

magixs wrote: »
    I would like to hear their excuse for what has taken them so long to fix that tiny street. For some context autobahn built 1000km of road, 4 lanes each side during wartime in the same amount of time (ish) 12 months. Was home in Sweden and there was fresh asphalt having been laid out on a stretch of 20km on the busiest road, europaway 4 (E4) and asked my dad how long it had taken them and he said they did it in about 3 weeks or there about. It's absolutely insanity how long it has taken. Now they are doing Castlemartyr as well? I go to and from work on this road everyday, lost about 20-30 minutes each way every day for basically a year now. They could've built a bypass in less time and fixed the issues once and for all.

A think another deadline is going to pass, can't see it being done by the 11th.
    It's not even the road they are working on, it's been footpaths for ages.

Roanmore wrote: »
    You shouldn't be held up too much in Killeagh at the time you're going through. Not too sure about the tunnel.

Tunnel shouldn't be an issue then. I'm going through at around 8.10 these days and only takes about 5 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Anyone hear when they will finish ? How long is a piece of string ....

• Advertisement

Valyawl wrote: »
    Anyone hear when they will finish ? How long is a piece of string ....

I have been told of the month early next month. I have spent last few weeks contacting locals TD councillors and Cork county Council engineering. If I find the energy I'll write full report as where I am with it. I'm not giving up on it. I am currently campaigning that they indefinitely postpone the castlemartyr road words until full investigation happens as to the failings in Killeagh. The tender for castlemartyr is at end of this month and is scheduled to take 5 months. Unless lessons are learned we will have repeat of Killeagh

By the way each person I have spoken to agrees the whole thing is a mess but I am looking for accountability.

Also for the record Killeagh and castlemartyr were offered bypass but turned it down in favour of street upgrade

Whole thing is a god dam mess

I have been told of the month early next month. I have spent last few weeks contacting locals TD councillors and Cork county Council engineering. If I find the energy I'll write full report as where I am with it. I'm not giving up on it. I am currently campaigning that they indefinitely postpone the castlemartyr road words until full investigation happens as to the failings in Killeagh. The tender for castlemartyr is at end of this month and is scheduled to take 5 months. Unless lessons are learned we will have repeat of Killeagh

By the way each person I have spoken to agrees the whole thing is a mess but I am looking for accountability.

Also for the record Killeagh and castlemartyr were offered bypass but turned it down in favour of street upgrade

I haven't always agreed with you on this thread but looks like you've been proactive in voicing your concerns at the delayed schedule so I commend you on that. Most people just moan without action so fair play for what you've done.

mordeith wrote: »
    I haven't always agreed with you on this thread but looks like you've been proactive in voicing your concerns at the delayed schedule so I commend you on that. Most people just moan without action so fair play for what you've done.

I'm one of the moaners you're talking about.
    I have been on to them many times, just don't come in here posting it.

I had an issue with the Supervalu lorry just stopping outside the supermarket by the lights at 6am preventing people moving in each direction. They were then forced to use the Mogeely road to unload.

Just because we're not posting it here doesn't mean it's not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Are you serious they were offered a bypass?? Why in gods name would they turn it down?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What :eek::eek::eek:

They should never haven "offered" this, a by pass should have just been done, period. There are more road users than just those living in the villages that should have been considered. Typical bloody Ireland

vicwatson wrote: »

They should never haven "offered" this, a by pass should have just been done, period. There are more road users than just those living in the villages that should have been considered. Typical bloody Ireland

Couldn't agree more

It's the whole infrastructure of the south at stake not just two villages.

vicwatson wrote: »

I'm not sure what or when the 'offer' happened but I certainly didn't have a voice in the matter. I live close to the village and would have taken a bypass any day of the week. Last official word I had was from a FG politician canvassing who said there wasn't the money for a bypass

Roanmore wrote: »

Just because we're not posting it here doesn't mean it's not happening.

That's what I mean. I have time for people who do something about like yourself. Just not those who moan and then just sit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That just makes no sense at all. The N25, as a national primary road, is under the remit of TII. I have never heard of TII offering communities choices as to how roads are upgraded.

Quick Google search confirms this is nonsense. They weren't offered a choice.

Link

• Advertisement

That just makes no sense at all. The N25, as a national primary road, is under the remit of TII. I have never heard of TII offering communities choices as to how roads are upgraded.

Quick Google search confirms this is nonsense. They weren't offered a choice.

Link

I agree it makes no sense at all. Eoin Bennett, engineer with Cork county Council told me this . contact him with the above information and revert back to us as to what he says?

I honestly found it baffling. It also wouldn't be the people of the towns, it would be the local councillors I would imagine who would have had a say regarding the bypass.

What we need to do now is look forward and learn from the disaster that was Killeagh. We must demand a full enquiry regarding the massive failings at Killeagh before they even think about going near castlemartyr.

Here are some local councillors. Call them

smccarthymidleton@gmail.com - Cllr Susan McCarthy, Midleton, 087 2240377
    michaelhego@hotmail.com - Cllr Michael Hegarty, Ladysbridge, 086 8115150

I will keep going with this as I can't honestly can't face a winter of sitting in traffic in castlemartyr due to roadworks.

Advertisement