Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Works in Killeagh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

dutchy15 wrote: »
    I agree it makes no sense at all. Eoin Bennett, engineer with Cork county Council told me this . contact him with the above information and revert back to us as to what he says?

I honestly found it baffling. It also wouldn't be the people of the towns, it would be the local councillors I would imagine who would have had a say regarding the bypass.

What we need to do now is look forward and learn from the disaster that was Killeagh. We must demand a full enquiry regarding the massive failings at Killeagh before they even think about going near castlemartyr.

Here are some local councillors. Call them

smccarthymidleton@gmail.com - Cllr Susan McCarthy, Midleton, 087 2240377
    michaelhego@hotmail.com - Cllr Michael Hegarty, Ladysbridge, 086 8115150

I will keep going with this as I can't honestly can't face a winter of sitting in traffic in castlemartyr due to roadworks.

Just to reiterate the N25 is a national primary route. The council or councillors have zero say in how these particular roads are upgraded. TII have statutory responsibility for these roads, not the council. TII don't go around asking towns and villages if they'd like a bypass or some new street paving. Clearly a bypass would cost significantly more than streetscaping so it's senseless. The article makes sense i.e. we don't have money/resources for a bypass now but we can fund some traffic measures in the village. The notion the locals were asked to make a choice is ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dutchy15

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Just to reiterate the N25 is a national primary route. The council or councillors have zero say in how these particular roads are upgraded. TII have statutory responsibility for these roads, not the council. TII don't go around asking towns and villages if they'd like a bypass or some new street paving. Clearly a bypass would cost significantly more than streetscaping so it's senseless. The article makes sense i.e. we don't have money/resources for a bypass now but we can fund some traffic measures in the village. The notion the locals were asked to make a choice is ludicrous.

The notion the locals were asked to make a choice is ludicrous

When was this ever implied?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

Bypass was estimated at approx. 3 times the cost, mostly due to CPO costs. After all the delays and overruns in Killeagh, a bypass might seem cheap now in retrospect!
    01st to 11th of August.
    During week days Flagmen will now be operation from 0630hrs to 1930hrs. A Traffic light system will be in operation from 1930hrs to 0630hrs. It should be noted that there are a number of pinch points that will require a 10 minute all stop system to be enforced in order for the final surface course to be laid. These will be programmed to be undertaken at off peak times however long delays may be expected.

The final surface hasn't been laid yet, so there's more severe pain in the coming weeks.

Stugots wrote: »
    Bypass was estimated at approx. 3 times the cost, mostly due to CPO costs. After all the delays and overruns in Killeagh, a bypass might seem cheap now in retrospect!

The final surface hasn't been laid yet, so there's more severe pain in the coming weeks.

TOTALLY AGREE. NO FORESIGHT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

How long would you expect to be held up on a Friday afternoon (between 3pm-4.30pm) ?

• Advertisement

Also for the record Killeagh and castlemartyr were offered bypass but turned it down in favour of street upgrade
    The notion the locals were asked to make a choice is ludicrous

When was this ever implied?

You implied it, in fact stated it as a fact for the record.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    You implied it, in fact stated it as a fact for the record.

I did imply as this what was told to me directly from eoin Bennett engineer with Cork county Council. Take up your issues of accuracy with him, not me. I am simply providing information that was provided to me. Also there is some truth to it. From your article you referred to in an earlier post

Tony Mullane, a senior TII engineer, told members of the East Cork municipal council at a meeting in Midleton that TII had money available to plan the design of the bypass, but it would take at least two and a half years to complete that and get planning permission

So there is some fact in the statement. Yes funding could have turned out to be an issue but the councillors did make a decision to proceed with street upgrades and forget about bypass. This is fact. Short term thinking yet again

RubyK wrote: »
    How long would you expect to be held up on a Friday afternoon (between 3pm-4.30pm) ?

Tough to give an accurate answer to that one I'm afraid afraid. It can vary greatly. You could get lucky and sail through but you could also wait 15-20 mins

I did imply as this what was told to me directly from eoin Bennett engineer with Cork county Council. Take up your issues of accuracy with him, not me. I am simply providing information that was provided to me. Also there is some truth to it. From your article you referred to in an earlier post

Tony Mullane, a senior TII engineer, told members of the East Cork municipal council at a meeting in Midleton that TII had money available to plan the design of the bypass, but it would take at least two and a half years to complete that and get planning permission

So there is some fact in the statement. Yes funding could have turned out to be an issue but the councillors did make a decision to proceed with street upgrades and forget about bypass. This is fact. Short term thinking yet again

Councillors didn't make the decision. They have no decision making powers on national primary roads. You continually ignore this fact. Also that piece you quoted doesn't say what you think says at all. And you left out the bit where the TII said that there was no funding for an actual bypass so they would go ahead with streetscaping in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Came through Killeagh Monday and Tuesday of this week - only delayed a few minutes each time - big improvement.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Came through Killeagh Monday and Tuesday of this week - only delayed a few minutes each time - big improvement.....

Think you jinxed it. Went the main road today, awful. Stopped well before the Waste Water sign. Trundled on slowly after a while, got through the GO sign and they stopped. So traffic in both directions stopped. Why?
    Outside of he one way system they were also doing work in the school entrance so traffic was being stopped there as well albeit not officially.
    Stopped next to a guy I know from Dungarvan, said they had been stopped twice already going west.

For the work that's going on the delays are way out of proportion. No work is actually being on on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

From Facebook
    Update on roadworks in killeagh village , please share ....

A notice from MEIC today saying the final surface coarse is due to start at 7pm tonight and be conducted by night 7pm-7am September 12th to 19th.

Valyawl wrote: »
    From Facebook
    Update on roadworks in killeagh village , please share ....

A notice from MEIC today saying the final surface coarse is due to start at 7pm tonight and be conducted by night 7pm-7am September 12th to 19th.

Oh they finally showed some consideration for the public right at the very end of the project.

Joke of a company. There should have been a lot more night works taking place throughout the year last several months.

Thank for the info

I'm beginning to think we're all part of a hidden camera show and they keep pushing us to see if anybody will crack.

I went the main road today because the weather was awful and I saw a few trucks going the Mogeely way.

Took about 40 mins to get through, I thought great, they must belaying the tarmac.
    Nope. There was traffic lights on either side of about 50m stretch and no work ongoing at all.

Same yesterday, stuck about 10 mins on the Mogeely road, again I thought they were laying the final surface. Instead they had dug up an area that had already been done up by the bend near the Thatch.

Roanmore wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think we're all part of a hidden camera show and they keep pushing us to see if anybody will crack.

I went the main road today because the weather was awful and I saw a few trucks going the Mogeely way.

Took about 40 mins to get through, I thought great, they must belaying the tarmac.
    Nope. There was traffic lights on either side of about 50m stretch and no work ongoing at all.

Same yesterday, stuck about 10 mins on the Mogeely road, again I thought they were laying the final surface. Instead they had dug up an area that had already been done up by the bend near the Thatch.

Apologies for the exaggeration yesterday, I was a bit wound up, it was only a 20m stretch.

No surfacing works was done last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

The road and foot path in castlemartyr have all been marked out for the work there I noticed late last week.

The road and foot path in castlemartyr have all been marked out for the work there I noticed late last week.

God help us all

Apologies for the exaggeration yesterday, I was a bit wound up, it was only a 20m stretch.

No surfacing works was done last night.

No need to apologies. That's for a lot of other people. They still at that hole this morning. Two lads laughing away

I have been having various conversations with various stakeholders recently. It's hard to reach them though when you have a full tine job.

Waiting to speak to Tom O Connor
    Managing Director of MEIC. (main contractor) He has said he would be glad to speak with me and has left a number of voice mails. How could he defend this project.

David stanton TD has returned my calls but we keep missing each other .gonna make concerted every to reach them again today if I find time

If I learn anything interesting I'll let ye know

They had generators in Killeagh this morning so hopefully they will start laying tarmac tonight which unsurprisingly got delayed which is I'm keeping with the project

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

We will have to have a meet up in Killeagh when this is all done cut the ribbon maybe !!

We will have to have a meet up in Killeagh when this is all done cut the ribbon maybe !!

We should have a support group for Killeagh survivors.

Could start with a WhatsApp group so we can your ever any and frustrated you can reach out to a fellow member you can empathise with how you are feeling.

We may need this for castlemartyr

• Advertisement

If there is a cut the Rippon ceremony I would suggest a protest and block the road just like they do.

Then demand a individual apology for the endless heartache the whole process has caused us and our families who have had to listen to us moan about it when we get home

There is more.. A cash payment for the depreciation of my car due to having to take the back roads in winter wrecking our cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Midleton to Youghal bypass is needed, Cork has a serious number of projects that need doing, an M25 would be asking too much as 'Cork has got its motorway to Dublin' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

Passed through killeagh this evening coming from work at around 7 , massive traffic queues, took nearly 15 MINS to get through the village to see 6 MEIC lads looking in to a hole in the road near Greens garage, even the lads doing the tarmac were held up from starting work....... the most annoying thing though was I'm sure they filled THAT hole yesterday grrrrr.

paddyref wrote: »
    Passed through killeagh this evening coming from work at around 7 , massive traffic queues, took nearly 15 MINS to get through the village to see 6 MEIC lads looking in to a hole in the road near Greens garage, even the lads doing the tarmac were held up from starting work....... the most annoying thing though was I'm sure they filled THAT hole yesterday grrrrr.

They had 2 trenches dug up there today.

Just as an aside, residents and shops in Castlemartyr have been told the resurfacing works are start next month and are due to take 4 months :rolleyes:.
    Thought there was supposed to be a break after Killeagh was done?
    With the works there and at the start of the Youghal by pass looks like we're in for a frustrating couple of months.
    Just hope we have no floods this winter and the 2 Mile - Mogeely road gets closed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

They had 2 trenches dug up there today.

Just as an aside, residents and shops in Castlemartyr have been told the resurfacing works are start next month and are due to take 4 months :rolleyes:.
    Thought there was supposed to be a break after Killeagh was done?
    With the works there and at the start of the Youghal by pass looks like we're in for a frustrating couple of months.
    Just hope we have no floods this winter and the 2 Mile - Mogeely road gets closed off.

I have it from a fairly good source that there is also going to be work done on the water mains while they are at it in Castlemartyr. That 4 months could be optimistic (judging by Killeagh). Time to set up a "Road works in Castlemartyr" thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

it makes sense to do as much as possible while the road is open but I really hope it's not another Killeagh. It is easier to get around Castlemartyr at least.

Anyone know why the tarmac put down last night is RED!!!

Anyone know why the tarmac put down last night is RED!!!

Cycle lanes have red tarmac don't they?

Is it the whole road?

About 100 mtrs full road width....

• Advertisement

About 100 mtrs full road width....

Any where near the bus stops? they are marked red also.

Advertisement